Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2016 11:39:40 PM EDT
I recently purchased a Aug 3X M1 and so far I am really loving it.  I would like to improve the trigger, and at this time it looks like my search-fu has only found the neu trigger option on Gun broker.  I would really like the 2020 tsm-s having read the sticky in this forum, but it seams they are very difficult to obtain since these are no longer in production.  I have read the Neu trigger is indeed a good upgrade, but wanted to know if this is my only available option today?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:21:22 AM EDT
[#1]
The TSM is available, it's the HTM (Hybrid Trigger Mod) that is no longer available.
TSM at ratworx..
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:23:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like you missed the 2020 sears by a couple days. There have been a couple on gunbroker when you search Steyr AUG, but none now. I also searched the ratworx site and they are not listed, must be sold out.

If it were me, I would wait till they come back in stock.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The TSM is available, it's the HTM (Hybrid Trigger Mod) that is no longer available.
TSM at ratworx..
View Quote

Weird, my search at ratworx did not turn that up when I selected by 2020...
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the link RTP!  Just ordered one.  I have been watching Gunbroker periodically and could not find them on Ratworx as well for the last few weeks.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Could any of the AUG trigger mods potentially cause damage/extra wear&tear over time?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TSM at ratworx..

Their site is kind of, well, wonky.  They list it as 20/20 so search likely screws it up, I searched by TSM or sear, don't recall..looks accurate as there were 14 listed when I posted the link, now showing 12 units in stock.
It is showing if you shop by brand, but may just have been set to a blank vendor before or something and now corrected..
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#7]
For uncompromising reliability, I use all standard parts, but I lube the sear engagement with Armor All.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For uncompromising reliability, I use all standard parts, but I lube the sear engagement with Armor All.
View Quote

After seeing the reviews for the 2020 TSM, I was surprised to see Pete comment over on bullpupforum that he doesn't sell any trigger mods because none of them are reliable enough.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

After seeing the reviews for the 2020 TSM, I was surprised to see Pete comment over on bullpupforum that he doesn't sell any trigger mods because none of them are reliable enough.
View Quote

From my perspective, the rifle was designed to use a polymer FCG and it developed its reputation as a reliable military arm using that specified material. The bolt carrier was designed to ride over a plastic hammer. The firing pin was designed to be struck with the aforementioned plastic hammer, and the list goes on. When you go changing geometry, swapping springs, or replacing plastic parts with metal ones, that is when weird things start happening. Accelerated wear on parts that used to only rub on plastic, problems with primer ignition, etc.

I always thought that all these AUG trigger mods were just asking for trouble. I've always kept my thoughts on these "upgrades" to myself, but my opinion has not yet veered.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#10]
That makes sense.  Often times it seems like somebody comes up with a "garage fix", that is supposed to be improved in some respect than the original  (factory and military tested under all conditions).  

friend of mine shot himself in the hand with a UZI, after an aftermarket foregrip somehow loosened up and slipped off.  fortunately just a flesh injury, with no nerve damage, but required OR visit and cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't speak for Pete, but I believe he was referring to the HTM hammerpack, not the TSM sear. I can't say I've ever disagreed with Pete except for this.

I've had multiples of both and have not had any problem with the TSM. Those I shoot with and others I know that have the TSM haven't had problems either. I'd know if they did as I was the one who convinced them to buy the TSM - they'd come to me first.  

The HTM hybrid hammerpacks I know have had issues in the past if not adjusted properly, but with the TSM, its just a drop in part that functions 100%.

I think 2020 made a mistake by naming the two different parts so similarly. Too easy to confuse the two...

My .02.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

From my perspective, the rifle was designed to use a polymer FCG and it developed its reputation as a reliable military arm using that specified material. The bolt carrier was designed to ride over a plastic hammer. The firing pin was designed to be struck with the aforementioned plastic hammer, and the list goes on. When you go changing geometry, swapping springs, or replacing plastic parts with metal ones, that is when weird things start happening. Accelerated wear on parts that used to only rub on plastic, problems with primer ignition, etc.

I always thought that all these AUG trigger mods were just asking for trouble. I've always kept my thoughts on these "upgrades" to myself, but my opinion has not yet veered.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bolt was designed with a plastic cocking piece which has not always been plastic. There are both factory and aftermarket trips/cocking pieces made of metal that contact the plastic hammer. The TSM is a metal slide that releases the plastic hammer.

To each his own opinion, but the TSM is solid in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I've liked the NEU trigger on AUG's I've owned.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The bolt was designed with a plastic cocking piece which has not always been plastic. There are both factory and aftermarket trips/cocking pieces made of metal that contact the plastic hammer. The TSM is a metal slide that releases the plastic hammer.

To each his own opinion, but the TSM is solid in my opinion.
View Quote

A switch which is particularly noteworthy to the discussion and only serves to bolster my concerns. There are always concerns with dissimilar materials that exhibit friction. The softer material will lose; it's just a matter of when. This falls under what I said previously about "accelerated wear on parts that used to only rub on plastic."

I agree with Pete. This is not an area to mess with on a serious use rifle.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#15]
My view is that it really isn't an issue. I would guess that the reason most cocking pieces/sear trips are plastic is due to the complexity of the part being easier to mass produce with plastic rather than metal.

There have been many different combinations of metal to plastic in the hammerpack/bolt carrier area.

Plastic hammer - metal cocking piece
Plastic hammer - metal sear trip
Plastic hammer - metal firing pin
Plastic hammer - underside of the carrier (debatable)
Plastic hammer - metal slide (2020 TSM)
Plastic hammer - metal around the slide (neutrigger)

Metal hammer (ratworx 2020 HTM pack)- plastic cocking piece

Metal sear (MG) - plastic sear trip
Plastic sear (MG) - metal sear trip

Metal sear (MG) - plastic hammer

If metal to plastic wear is/was a great issue I think it would have been discovered with the sear guns years back.

Your point is valid that metal vs plastic something has to give, but maybe it's not as pronounced as in other metal/plastic applications?

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:16:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I think there is an 800lb gorilla in the room, but you're painting it as a raccoon.

What you are outlining is what we call engineering changes. Steyr and other military grade manufacturers don't just go switching materials just for the sake of amusement. Likewise, they cannot go substituting materials without proper T&E, especially when there's lives on the line. Materials selection is likewise a huge ordeal. Metal ain't metal, and plastic ain't plastic. There are numerous material properties that go into the selection process and those characteristics effect the outcome.

Over the period of 40 years, Steyr has made engineering changes; no one disputes that. They have gone through the process of materials selection, testing, evaluation and ultimately roll-out. If you ask me who I trust in terms of engineering T&E and R&D, it's Steyr, not an aftermarket parts supplier.

I work for a company that manufactures industrial machinery and I can tell you in no uncertain terms that we don't just go swapping materials and dimensional specs without an exhaustive process. More often than not, things will seem okay at first, and then go haywire. If any of the trigger "upgrade" companies have data to verify longevity, then that would go a long way to convince me. As it sits, I'm not at all convinced, and apparently I'm not the only one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#17]
That's fine and your opinion on the subject is valid, but all the sear guns from 30+ years ago that have been used heavily would support my view that metal in the hammerpack contacting plastic isn't as terrible as imagined.

Anyways, a new hammerpack is $130 or less and new cocking pieces are $30.
As long as the gun functions without problems, I am ready to pay for a hypothetically damaged fire control group part.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:13:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought one for my STG and after some needle-nose pliering, it has really, really helped smooth out the trigger pull.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I bought one for my STG and after some needle-nose pliering, it has really, really helped smooth out the trigger pull.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. The part will seem a bit flimsy, but is surprisingly effective. At the end of the day, it's a small investment and it can be easily removed and installed. The only gripe I have is the manufacturer/retailer doesn't take CCs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top