Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2014 7:27:58 PM EDT
Here in Illinois, pistol powder is still in short supply. I could use another pound of either WW231 or HP38 and there is none to be found. It seems some rifle powder is available however, pistol powder is just not to be had. Is it the same in your area? When will it end?

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#1]
When hoarders stop hoarding. Or when someone reasonable starts running DC
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually found two pounds of Bullseye on the shelf a couple weeks ago.

That's the first pistol powder I've seen since this whole mess started.

Unique is my go to pistol powder and I'm out and really missing shooting my pistols.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#3]
If this helps, IMR Hi-Skor 700-X is a pretty good pistol powder. It's a large flake powder so you want to to use a aquarium air pump to settle the powder in the hopper to get accurate throws.

It seems to be readily available around here...
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Unique and Win Auto Comp showed up a my LGS today.  Power pistol is my go to powder and am getting low.  Looking for TiteGroup or NV320 for 147gr subsonic
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can find anyone who loads for trap or skeet  (or better yet used to load but has given it up ) you might hit the mother load .
Most shotgun powders are suitable for pistol and have available load data if you look around .

I helped clean out a older gents reloading gear a few years ago and got several 8 and 12 lb caddys of 700X ,unique and bullseye .

I guess many would consider them "old school" but it has held me over through this whole mess .

From time to time I have grabbed components whenever the deal seamed decent even when I wasn't short or even had much of an idea of what I had packed away . I have been coasting the last couple of years and been taking care of friends at my club . I never sell them stuff , I just give it to them and tell them to replace it when they can find some at reasonable price levels . I have built up lots of good will and it gets me rights of first refusal when any of these guys have deals or are selling most anything.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Bass pro had a nice stock a few weeks ago here.  I didn't need anything so I didn't pick any up. For the most part though they haven't had anything nor has any LGS had any for a while.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Large local shop that has always had a good reloading section seems to be back to normal, more or less. Online shops look to still be OOS on many popular powders, rifle and pistol.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I have picked up a ton of different pistol powders during this shortage. Only because I couldn't find what I like.

I have found some good and some REALLY BAD.  Basically, the problem is that when most of us see it, we grab it... Even if we never used it before.

For example, I have your bottle of 231 on my shelf. Didn't like it. So there it sits. Maybe someday I will find a load for it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Large local shop that has always had a good reloading section seems to be back to normal, more or less. Online shops look to still be OOS on many popular powders, rifle and pistol.
View Quote

My lgs now is keeping up pretty well with Hogdens and IMR rifle powders. But at $27-$29 per pound they can keep it. I found the Bullseye at a Sportsman's Warehouse for $18.99/lb. Still too much but may be the new norm.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I have not seen W231 in over a year in the stores I frequent. I am down to my last 3 or 4 pounds of an 8lb jug. On the other hand rifle powder and all primes seem to have made a come back.

Vince.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I have not seen any 231 / Hp38 in 18 months.  I don NEED it, but think it is odd even in that time frame.

Other powders are being pumped out.  It is either feast or famine.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Powder availability varies a lot from one section of the country to the next. I have read and seen photos of very well stocked gunshops in Ohio that had hundreds of pounds of powder for sale. Locally there are two stores that keep their shelves well stocked with powder. they have had Winchester powder on the shelf every time I have visited for the past six weeks. The supply chain has shown some recent improvement, however inconsistent it may be.

The threads showing who has powder in stock this morning have been a huge help,
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Here in Illinois, pistol powder is still in short supply. I could use another pound of either WW231 or HP38 and there is none to be found. It seems some rifle powder is available however, pistol powder is just not to be had. Is it the same in your area? When will it end?

View Quote

JoeG where are you at?

I'm near Rockford Il and it's like the tumbleweeds in the old westerns.  You ask at a shop and I can almost here the old Western whistle and see Clint Eastwood grimace from behind the counter

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

When hoarders stop hoarding. Or when someone reasonable starts running DC
View Quote
someone reasonable..............................  So at least 3 more years :(

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Unique and Win Auto Comp showed up a my LGS today.  Power pistol is my go to powder and am getting low.  Looking for TiteGroup or NV320 for 147gr subsonic
View Quote

Go with unique and call it a day.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Something to be aware of.. Each powder company has a list of their key distributors. The distributors send it out to retailers. I was counting on Brownell's to get my backorders to me (2yrs and waiting). Even though they are a large company, they don't get powder directly from Hodgdon's for example. Instead they order through a distributor. Hodgdon sent me a list of their "Top Gun Distributors"... Powder Valley and Graf's are on the list. Not sure if list is posted on Hodgdon's website. I can try to post tonight if a. there is interest and b. it fits in a technical forum discussion.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been able to get Titegroup, Unique, 700x, Red Dot, Blue Dot, Power Pistol, and Bullseye lately at my LGS.  A few months ago there was nothing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If this helps, IMR Hi-Skor 700-X is a pretty good pistol powder. It's a large flake powder so you want to to use a aquarium air pump to settle the powder in the hopper to get accurate throws.

It seems to be readily available around here...
View Quote

yep, found it and have been using it this summer
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#21]
These pistol powder shortages must be regional, here in N.E. Ohio it is fairly available, Just this weekend I found Power Pistol, WST and Unique sitting on the shelf at the LGS in decent supply.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#22]
No pistol powder in IA since forever.  Rifle powder is starting to come back, but very limited in popular types.

CFE 223, TAC, Reloder 15, Dot powders, Power Pistol, AR Comp, forget it.  

I found some Hodgdon 322 the other day at a LGS, for $30/lb.  I skipped.  He had quite a few pounds of it.  

Cabela's in Omaha had a ton of Varget about a month ago.  Again, $30/lb.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 2:16:01 AM EDT
[#23]
No sign of pistol powder at any of the lgs in NorCal. I still have a few pounds left, but afraid I might run out soon. Found some rifle powder locally, but none that I was looking for.

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I havent found hp-38 in almost a year...it saddens me
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#25]
In the last two months, I've purchased HP-38, CFE223, and Reloder 15 online from Cabela's. They usually have a cheap shipping promotion going on, and hazmat is only $20. They seem to be getting significant quantities in every few weeks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Rifle powder seems to be fairly available, but pistol powder has been in really short supply in West Texas.

Luckily, I had a decent amount on hand and recently had a buddy sell me 24# of Bullseye and Clays for $10/pound because he didn't want to move it across country.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Rifle powder seems to be fairly available, but pistol powder has been in really short supply in West Texas.

Luckily, I had a decent amount on hand and recently had a buddy sell me 24# of Bullseye and Clays for $10/pound because he didn't want to move it across country.
View Quote

Ditto for southwest georgia, as well.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Bullseye, 231, Titegroup or HS6 is like hens teeth here in the Communist Republic of Illinois!
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Go to the Alliant Powder web page.  It'll list lost of handgun loads for "shot gun" powder.  So will the other powder manufacturer web pages.

I've been using Blue Dot for .40 S&W with 135 grain HPs.  Excellent accuracy, big bang, fireball, etc.

I've used Red Dot for 9MM.

I haven't tried any of the Herco or Green Dot loads yet, but I will.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I've scored CFE Pistol,  Win 231, Power Pistol and Bullseye in the last month
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I went to the LGS that has been a mecca for pistol powder the past 6 weeks. Today I go in and behold there is no Winchester powder on the shelf.  8# kegs of blue dot were $109, Promo $159, single one pounds cans of PB, 800X and Titewad.
Plenty of rifle in all the best colors and flavors.

Maybe it was just an off day. But as fate would have it as I am walking out I see this guy with a beard about foot long...So I blamed the powder shortage on the neck beard dude;D]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#32]
No pistol powder available anywhere around Denver.

A few Months ago I scored a pound and a half of Power Pistol from Armslist, bot nothing in the Basss pro, Cabela's or LGS. I also scored some 296 so I guess I can load .357 Mag.

Plenty of rifle powder now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Was out travelling today and hit a ma and pop gun shop.  Score!  

No pistol or Dot powders, but they had CFE223, Reloder 15, TAC, Benchmark, and a few others I haven't seen in forever.  At OK prices, not great, but OK.

Grabbed two pounds of CFE223.  Pay day isn't until Friday.  Might be making another trip.

Ma and pop shops with no internet presence are the key right now, I think.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm using a couple pounds of green dot left over from my shotshell loading days--works well and accurate in .45 and .38 spl!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#35]
If you like WW231/HP38 and can't find any, I've found that Green dot is a very similar powder (has a similar burn rate) but it's bulkier.

EDIT to add:   4.0gr of either powder in my 9mm pistols runs 130gr cast bullets at 1000fps +/- 25.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#37]
No pistol powder here in eastern Iowa.  Rifle powder is starting to fill the shelves though.  

Do manufactures make their powders in runs?  I mean I'm seeing rifle powder now so have they been making rifle powder for awhile and now they switch to making pistol powder?  Or are they making both kinds of powder and hoarders are just buying up all the pistol powder?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Found a single lb of Titegroup yesterday at LGS. Owner said he ordered several lbs of pistol a long time ago, but only rec'd 2 lbs.(another customer got the other one...dang it!!) Thankfully he also got several lbs of rifle powder, so the hazmat fee didn't raise the price too badly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:42:52 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

No pistol powder here in eastern Iowa.  Rifle powder is starting to fill the shelves though.  

Do manufactures make their powders in runs?  I mean I'm seeing rifle powder now so have they been making rifle powder for awhile and now they switch to making pistol powder?  Or are they making both kinds of powder and hoarders are just buying up all the pistol powder?
View Quote

That would be my answer----the hoarders. Many of the same people who are buying up much (or most) of the .22 ammo are also buying up a good portion of the reloading components, too.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No sign of pistol powder at any of the lgs in NorCal. I still have a few pounds left, but afraid I might run out soon. Found some rifle powder locally, but none that I was looking for.

View Quote

I didn't think owning firearms in California was still legal. Silly me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No pistol or Dot powders, but they had CFE223, Reloder 15, TAC, Benchmark, and a few others I haven't seen in forever.  At OK prices, not great, but OK.

Grabbed two pounds of CFE223.  Pay day isn't until Friday.  Might be making another trip.

View Quote

Just seeing TAC on the shelves again is a good sign.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found TAC on the shelves in WV at cabelas. Ive been wanting to try it for my MK262 but never seen it before.
They had about 8lbs so I grabbed two.

I would still like to find some titegroup, ive never been able to try it before.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Some folks out there have started using CFE Pistol for lead bullet loads with success. Has anyone here tried that powder out with lead?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Some folks out there have started using CFE Pistol for lead bullet loads with success. Has anyone here tried that powder out with lead?
View Quote

I use it with coated lead.

in other news, bought 4 lb'ers of power pistol locally for $66 today
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#48]
I havent tried CFE pistol with lead, but I found some at the LGS that was very overpriced but I wanted to try it to see if it was worth a dang so I got a couple pounds.

I have loads worked up with berrys 115 plated bullets to try this weekend, ill report back when I put them downrange.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top