Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/27/2017 1:37:07 PM EDT
I'd like to acquire a collection of various old kitchen knives and make a functional display of them.  I want to acquire them one by one at old garage sales and things like that and look forward to bringing them back to life re-working the blade, refinishing wood handles, etc.  I know very little about what to look for as far as markings, designs, etc to ensure I'm buying quality steel and something that is actually "vintage."  I know a lot of this is in the eye of the beholder.  I really enjoy using my deceased's grandparents' old knives when I'm visiting family and am looking for that "old quality" feel and function.  I understand that these old knives were made with a lot more carbon and require care to keep from rusting and I'm will to take on the challenge.  I don't necessarily want to seek out any special collectors but wouldn't mind being able to take advantage of picking up something that might be of greater value due to it being a premium brand back in the day or something like that.

Any advice out there from guys/gals who might have experience in this realm for me while I'm on the hunt for old kitchen knives?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a pretty extensive set of the Hoffritz labeled ice tempered Solingen Henckels that I put together for maybe 25% of the retail dollar.  They're just specialty rebrands and you can find them on Ebay.

I even put together a nice, more extensive set for my sister, with a new set of six steak knives, and carving set, among others like their meat cleaver, utility knives, bread knife, frozen food saw/knife and the whole 6", 8" and 10.5" chef's and meat slicers.

Some of them were used, needing the wood laminate handles to be sanded and sealed, that that was monkey's work.

They also rebranded the French Sabatier knife collection, but they're a bit harder to come by.

It all started when my family got me the 10.5" chef's knife for a graduation present.  The sucker can chop wood, it's that beefy.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're going to display them solely.  Clean with denatured alcohol and seal with polyurethane.
Henkel,  Sabatier, Remington, Forrestier, pre war Cutco, will be your classic American and European blades.
At least they were the common and coveted names in the 60's when I started in culinary.

Also, look for gadgets. Ricers, garlic presses, odd wine openers to fill in your display.

Goodwill and salvation army great place to find some of this stuff.

Chef
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks all.  I am looking to use them and display them.  Kinda wish I didn't have the background I do on forensic evidence exchange... there's something about using a stranger's knife that's been used for God-knows-what on my food that I'm still trying to get over.  Especially because all metal is porous to some degree... yeah I just need to get over that before I start shopping at Goodwill.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top