Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/26/2017 10:10:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Love my EDC folder: Voyager XL Drop Point Bowie
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Cold Steel, full serrated edge, 7" inch Tanto which I carried on my body armor for 32 years.

I carried it as a last ditch, in the event I Was going down, I was determined I would take someones head off with in order to survive.

I took the requisite knife defensive courses, hoping I would never need it.

The other is a Cold Steel 12" Kukri I carry in my Polaris Ranger for a brush knife.

I like them both.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd sure love a 1917 Cutlass. Probably the best bang for the buck in actual sharp/tough swords going.

I don't look at Cold Steel as collectors items, more like the above mentioned:  Decent honest bang for buck blades to use and possibly abuse.

I'm no blade snob though- I can't afford to be!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#4]
One of my first 'boutique' knives was their factory second Recon Tanto in Carbon V.  Still have it.  Sharp as hell after 22+ years and it's a very beefy blade.

That's the only product I own from Cold Steel.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my Mini Hunter

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#6]
They are hit/miss.  Some of their stuffy is super gimmicky.  Some of their stuff is really nice.  You have to really know what you are looking at to decide between a crap piece and a decent knife in some cases.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I wish they would bring back the old-style Voyager pocket knives.  Both my son and I loved them.  I lost both of mine. 
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are hit/miss.  Some of their stuffy is super gimmicky.
View Quote
This. My master hunter does a good job on a deer, it's sharp, easy to keep sharp and easy to clean. I just picked up their light hunter. It looks solid for 20 bucks. The sheaths is terrible, but 20 bucks so... If I'd realized it had a sharp edge on the spine I would have passed on it.
I love that they have trainer versions of their swords and fighting knives. I like that they offer full serations on a lot of their patterns.

OTOH many or most of their axes aren't great.
I don't see the need to machete all the things. And it's nice they sell the machete sheaths seperately, but do they need to cost as much as the machete?
Their plastic sheaths are kind of crap. I swear the one for mini Pendleton is wrecking the edge on the knife. I've seen other complaints about the sheaths.
They also kind of make knockoffs. Want a Randall quick on the cheap, get a cold steel. I saw the other day their selling Mora type knives. Funny enough they cost more than a Mora.

I never tried their folders because they all look like the don't have metal in the handle/frame apart from the lock. But I've never seen one in person.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#9]
The first knife I bought for myself, the late 80's, was a Cold Steel SRK in CarbonV. I wanted one good knife. That's how it always starts, one good knife, rifle, watch, etc. One of the last knives I bought, July last year, was a Cold Steel SRK in 3V. (I bought an Enzo Trapper in Elmax and a Terävä Jääkäripuukko 140 in 80CrV2 from Varusteleka since the SRK.) The SRK and Master Hunter in 3V are great values.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Cold Steel innovates more than all other knife companies combined.

Their stuff is usually VERY well thought-out

As for other companies......

They are busy pooping out thier 986265th liner lock 3.5 inch folder design...

... (this one is yellow and has a slightly different blade shape!!! Woot!)
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a bunch of Cold Steel stuff.

Bushman machetes, SF Shovel, Mini, two karambits (one with Japanese steel and one with Taiwanese steel), bought some big ass folder with a retaining ring and goofy lock back system a long time ago but gave that away.

They are my "fun to have" items that don't have a real use, though I'd expect that as expedient weapons they would do just fine.

For daily use, I carry cheap OTF autos and boxcutters.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had more Cold Steel knives than anything else over the years. All folders really and a couple of the safe keeper push daggers. Even bought some of the fiberglass knives. Like the others said, hit or miss. Or more accurately it's like they have two lines, quality and quirky.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wish they would bring back the old-style Voyager pocket knives.  Both my son and I loved them.  I lost both of mine. 
View Quote
have to agree with this. I still have two Voyagers I bought in the late 90s, one has fine edge and the other is their weird scalloped serrations for the whole length. they are both scary sharp.  I would buy more of them, used or not if available.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I have their Navy Officers sword and would like to get the 1917 Cutlass too since I spent half my time Enlisted.  Great "cut" for the buck.  :)
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I never tried their folders because they all look like the don't have metal in the handle/frame apart from the lock. But I've never seen one in person.
View Quote
I have several Voyagers and they have metal inserts within the handles.

My Spartans as well, very solid.

nutnfancy on YouTube reviews a lot of Cold Steel stuff and always mentions whether they have metal liners/inserts and how robust they are.  Maybe a good place to look if you're curious about a specific model.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:12:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I have several CS knives that have been great. Generally anything made in the USA or Japan will be good. I can't comment on their Taiwan or china made knives. I have a Carbon V and a San Mai Trail master and they are both two of the best large bushcraft knives I've ver used.  I also have 3 SRK's (two Carbon V and one San Mai) that are also perfect bushcraft knives. I keep on in the truck, one on the dirt bike and the San Mai in the safe unused.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Recently bought their machete that looks like a roman sword for a laugh

Holy hell it is the best money I've spent in a long time. I use a machete weekly clearing property & this thing is a beast.  

Keeps an edge & slices a 2" tree in one swing.  I've cut down full trees with it & still gone back to effortlessly clearing light vines.  LOVE IT

First  CS purchase & will not be my last.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Recently bought their machete that looks like a roman sword for a laugh

Holy hell it is the best money I've spent in a long time. I use a machete weekly clearing property & this thing is a beast.  

Keeps an edge & slices a 2" tree in one swing.  I've cut down full trees with it & still gone back to effortlessly clearing light vines.  LOVE IT

First  CS purchase & will not be my last.
View Quote
This one?.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#20]
i bought a master hunter in about 1991 or 92...gutted A LOT of deer with it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I only have one, a Recon 1 and it's a beast.

The Triad lock is one of the best, if not the best lock.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a couple of their old SRK's in Carbon V and love them. I got their hand-and-a-half sword, just because. It's fun.
My EDC knife is a Benchmade auto though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
This FTW. I got a serrated Recon 1 years and years ago and it's still my EDC pocket knife and still has a great edge. Kinda weird that they're $120 now instead of the $60 I bought it at though. Shit hasn't inflated THAT much.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
THIS

Had a metal clip and a plastic clip voyager combo edge.  Lost the plastic but still have the metal clipped one.  I really wish that style was brought back in posted of those goofy looking voyager 2's they have now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 4:59:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I really enjoy my Hold Out.  Much higher quality than you expect and very robust.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I own more cold steel knives than any thing else ,.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a few.  A large Safemaker, an Outdoorsman, and a Magnum Tanto.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#28]
I think the quality has gone done in recent years. They make some nice blades but it is hit or miss as of late. Their customer service is lacking, I've had a few issues with their products I've bought. They wouldn't replace a handle and it took 4 months to get a replacement for folder with a bad tri-ad lock. I love my old voyager and old ti-lite. The machetes and special forces shovel I had were great!
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:52:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I only have 1 knife from them.  It is the SRK, I can't remember what steel its made from but it is stamped "Japan" on it.  I'm going to say no, no that I am not a fan of their knives.  Maybe I got a bad knife off the assembly line.  I haven't been impressed so I haven't bought anything else from them.  My problem was that the blade was dull out of the box.  It wasn't hard to flatten the tip of the blade.  And notice a very slight front to back wobble inside the handle.  I'm not sure I can trust this knife for survival and rescue.  I would like to give them another try with another knife or maybe a sword.  I'll keep the SRK for now.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:59:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I have three of their Carbon V knives, no complaints.

My wife has one of their hard rubber baseball bats. I hope she never uses it on me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have three of their Carbon V knives, no complaints.

My wife has one of their hard rubber baseball bats. I hope she never uses it on me.
View Quote
That would be kinky......
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 2:36:12 AM EDT
[#32]
I've had an SRK for years and it's solid af.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Got to agree.  My first Cold Steel knife was an SRK (back in the early 90's).  I still have it and it's a sold fixed blade knife.  Overall, I probably have a few dozen Cold Steel products.  Their older machetes were thicker, their folders are quite serviceable, and their CS Shovel is the most useful.  Oh, my first high end blade was their Tanto.  Remember those kick-ass magazine advertisements with the dude about to perforate another guys hand stealing his poker money?  Well, they screwed up my order and sent me a Master Tanto (laminated version).  It's the only one I don't use hard...just because it brings me back some memories of reading Soldier of Fortune magazines in middle school

Haha! I found the ad:

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
One of my first 'boutique' knives was their factory second Recon Tanto in Carbon V.  Still have it.  Sharp as hell after 22+ years and it's a very beefy blade.

That's the only product I own from Cold Steel.

Chris
View Quote
I have a Master Hunter Carbon V of the same vintage.  

Just like yours it's still sharp and only needs a steel to restore the edge.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I have quite a few, the mini tanto, older LTC Kukri, and here is one that is a safe queen:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This FTW. I got a serrated Recon 1 years and years ago and it's still my EDC pocket knife and still has a great edge. Kinda weird that they're $120 now instead of the $60 I bought it at though. Shit hasn't inflated THAT much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had a cold steel recon with partial serrated aus8 jap steel blade. Was 60$ from cheaper than dirt. Got lost at work thiugh. Great knife.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I just bought the smaller version of their viking axe for pretty cheap on ebay (36 shipped) and plan on modifying it a bit.  Seems like a solid axe meant to take some abuse.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I just bought the smaller version of their viking axe for pretty cheap on ebay (36 shipped) and plan on modifying it a bit.  Seems like a solid axe meant to take some abuse.
View Quote
I found the video of your viking axe hacking up ballistic torsos and pig heads and added it to that thread from yesterday.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:37:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Is it the 30 incher?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

I love their Bowie "knives" in their Machete line. Both of these I sharpened sharp nuf to shave (both sides) with little effort. One was $15ish and the other $22ish from Midway. I also have the Kukri with the long handle. It is paper slice sharp also and makes short work of big weeds and saplings. I have an old Voyager Tanto folder (made in Japan) for an EDC that I love. Lots of other CS knives and products. Love them all. Responsible for two ER visits for 9 and 12 stitches.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#41]
I carry a tuff lite with my leatherman juice s2 everyday in my front pocket.  It's small and lite I forget it is there.  It is very sharp and has a very strong lock for such a small knife.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Got to agree.  My first Cold Steel knife was an SRK (back in the early 90's).  I still have it and it's a sold fixed blade knife.  Overall, I probably have a few dozen Cold Steel products.  Their older machetes were thicker, their folders are quite serviceable, and their CS Shovel is the most useful.  Oh, my first high end blade was their Tanto.  Remember those kick-ass magazine advertisements with the dude about to perforate another guys hand stealing his poker money?  Well, they screwed up my order and sent me a Master Tanto (laminated version).  It's the only one I don't use hard...just because it brings me back some memories of reading Soldier of Fortune magazines in middle school

Haha! I found the ad:

http://www.devonbuy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/cold-steel-ad-small.jpg

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha! I found the ad:

http://www.devonbuy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/cold-steel-ad-small.jpg

ROCK6
I remember that ad from Combat Handguns back in the 80s. I wanted one so bad. 4 or 5 years ago I saw one of the early ones with brass bolster and pommel on ebay and grabbed it up.

Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I’ve got their LTC kukri, ATC Kukri, Recon Scout and Master Hunter all in Carbon V. They were all bought in the late 90’s to early 00’s. The only Cold Steel products I’ve bought since then are a couple of Voyager folders, a San Mai SRK and a Pendleton Mini Hunter. The older ones have all been good knives, held up well to some heavy use, and I consider them worth every penny I paid for them. They jury is still out on the newer ones as they just haven’t seen that much use.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I remember that ad from Combat Handguns back in the 80s. I wanted one so bad. 4 or 5 years ago I saw one of the early ones with brass bolster and pommel on ebay and grabbed it up.

http://i.imgur.com/00oCFor.jpg
View Quote
I used to carry one of those in my boot when I did foot patrol in section 8 housing.  One night my partner and I were sitting on a log taking a break. He saw the knife and asked to see it. I handed it to him and he looked at it and said "It does not look sharp" and at the same time ran his thumb down the blade.  His put about a 1 inch cut down the center of his thumb and gave me the stupidest look. I called him a dumb ass and we went in search of a band aid.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I love my Prussian saber. If gunpowder ever stops working I'll be carrying it around.

I had a folder that somehow stopped folding while on deployment. I liked it untill then.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a tanto blade small machete i got for $18 from CS and its encouraged me to look a their knives a little closer (albeit closer to the $75-$100 stuff).  Interesting product lines, will probably get something for outdoor/utility from them soon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#49]
anybody have a cold steel arc angel with box and papers any variation wanted. Will give you 500.00 bucks for it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I love my Prussian saber. If gunpowder ever stops working I'll be carrying it around.

I had a folder that somehow stopped folding while on deployment. I liked it untill then.
View Quote
I would never buy another product from them with that kind of experience.  There are two major gun makers i will never buy from again because they couldn't make duty guns i bought from them run reliably.  Sure their current offerings are probably great but at some point you have to have full faith in what you carry because you NEED it to work. 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top