Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 2/3/2014 6:10:56 PM EDT
I don't know if this is the right forum so if it isn't I'm  sorry.  Do any of you guys  that own any of the above live in the central Texas hill country and if so would you be willing to let me test fire your gun and give me a likes / dislikes briefing? I know it's like asking to kiss your wife but I really hate to take the plunge with no first hand working knowledge. I did at one time have a semi M3hb . Also can trade out some time on  some of my toys. But best of all I have  room for a 500-1000 yard shot.  I have just been seriously thinking of going the 50 BMG route with the silly wait times for NFA  items,  thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 2:25:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don't know if this is the right forum so if it isn't I'm  sorry.  Do any of you guys  that own any of the above live in the central Texas hill country and if so would you be willing to let me test fire your gun and give me a likes / dislikes briefing? I know it's like asking to kiss your wife but I really hate to take the plunge with no first hand working knowledge. I did at one time have a semi M3hb . Also can trade out some time on  some of my toys. But best of all I have  room for a 500-1000 yard shot.  I have just been seriously thinking of going the 50 BMG route with the silly wait times for NFA  items,  thanks in advance.
View Quote

Why the need to test drive?

You have already experienced firing a .50 caliber.

I own the CQ, and its not a problem to fire. Only thing I can say is don't shoot with your mouth open, and wear great ear pro.

As for the Barrett Semi auto, its very soft recoiling, and is fairly accurate. Mine shoots better at 700 (farthest Ive gotten to shoot this one) than I can.

You will not regret it, and they hold their value well.

NOT as well as a RR M16, or other well built registered machinegun, but good.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 4:46:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 82A1 with the longer barrel, there is nothing quite like a semi 50 cal.
I have had mine 3 years and only shot it a couple times, mostly due to availability of ranges which allow you to shoot them, I'm in Houston.
When it was shot, it was on the ground using the bipod, and it was like shooting a 20 ga shotgun, with a big roar, it is loud, and it does draw attention.
I took it to OFAST, Oklahoma Full Auto Shoot, we had a group that rented 30 feet of firing line.
The downsides: heavy, ammo pricey.
Upsides: unique, fun to shoot, a very sinple gun that is easy to clean and operate.
I was thinking (justify) investment when I bought mine, several states have banned firearms capable of using ammo .50 or larger.
I have seen some good deals on them in the forums occasionally.
Since you have your own range, you can customize your bench to shoot your gun.
I have bought a barrett soft mount, and fitted it to two different tripod mounts, one sitting, and one standing.
I have no regrets buying mine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess it's just curiosity.  The m3hb wasn't a fun gun to play with to me just because it was a pain in the ass to transport, assemble, preflight ,breakdown and clean. Don't get me wrong it was cool and looked awesome. But it took too much man power. A fat guy with bad knee and a pissy teenager wasn't the intended crew.
  Thanks for the replies. The fact it recoils like a 20 gauge and is easy to clean means a lot. I had a saiga 12 built a while back on a whim and couldn't be more dissatisfied. It wasn't at all what I expected or read about. So I try to test drive if I can. I always see people on arfcom saying they do not have a place to shoot, shoot as far as they want or shoot what they want. So I just thought it might be a mutually good deal for someone and myself.  I have my own factory ammo and was willing to let somebody play with my NFA toys in trade. I didn't want something for nothing.
   I was at a shoot near College Station about a month ago and a gentlemen had a M107 on the previously mentioned stand up soft mount. I should have asked then, my bad.....oh well maybe next time.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#4]
To see people shooting them, just search youtube!

Better yet, check out the Barrett youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cydV4NB7J4s

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#5]
10/4, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#6]
You won't be disappointed if you get one.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was at a shoot near College Station about a month ago and a gentlemen had a M107 on the previously mentioned stand up soft mount. I should have asked then, my bad.....oh well maybe next time.  
View Quote

That was a 20" M107A1 with Barrett's QDL suppressor on the pedestal.  We used to shoot a 29" 82A1 off of it before the M107A1.  The stand-up pedestal makes it alot easier to let people just walk up and shoot it.  Even with the QDL mounted, off to the side it is a little sharp without hearing protection.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]
The 82A1 behind the gun is pretty amazing we put a small 5'3" woman behind it and she was able to rap through a mag with no problems and had the biggest grin I've ever seen on a range when she got up from behind it. Much more pleasant behind the gun than anywhere off to the sides. The sound to the sides is brutal and double ear pro inner and outer is recommended. The overpressure caused from shooting it had birds stop flying, one landed on my buddies camera and just sat there all fluffed up for a few minutes before it finally flew off. Still the best gun and most fun I've ever had on a range, love the 82.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That was a 20" M107A1 with Barrett's QDL suppressor on the pedestal.  We used to shoot a 29" 82A1 off of it before the M107A1.  The stand-up pedestal makes it alot easier to let people just walk up and shoot it.  Even with the QDL mounted, off to the side it is a little sharp without hearing protection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you the gentleman I visited with about the Polaris  X2?
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and the one you talked to on the phone that knows Trey.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top