Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2016 12:24:38 AM EDT
Gent's,

One of my local dealers just received a couple FDE SCARs this week. Went back today to look them over more closely and they only have one left. I'm fairly certain from my recollection, the serial number is not on the recall list. However, it's pretty damn close.

Anyway, are all FDE SCARs normally multiple shades in color? The one they have left is 4 different shades: pistol grip, buttstock, lower receiver, and upper receiver are all different colors - are they normally like this? If so, is there a reason? Looks like a mismatch of parts just slapped together...and for the $3,250.00 price tag. (Pretty much full blown MSRP)

Therefore, I just can't decide if I should pull the trigger and bring it home or, pass? I've been wanting a SCAR 16 or, 17 for a while now but, they're unobtainium everywhere. Need some persuasion one way or, the other?

Thanks for help & feedback

p.s. Don't know if the dealer was blowing smoke up my ass...but, he indicated they've had these on order for several months and were both surprised & lucky to receive the 2 they got. I just would hate to pay full MSRP now and then market gets flooded. But, then again - the whole "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" crap start's to creep into my head.

Update...I got it on Friday - crappy 1st pic. More to follow as, I've already ordered a few things for this bad boy Plus, I was able to negotiate 5% off the original asking price

Mods: Timney single stage trigger, Ergo pistol grip & ladder rail covers, GG&G charging handle, Tango down VFG, Cross Tac sling, AAC Miter flash hider, and Aimpoint ACO.

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 1:11:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the FDE ones are all mismatched colors and even vary from batch to batch.

I don't think your dealer was blowing smoke, they are hard to find and the FDE models tend to fetch a higher price. I think there are only 50-60 thousand in the country right now and they trickle in every few months creating lulls in supply.

Is it worth it, only you can say. You could potentialy pay $5-600 less if the election goes well, but you'll be missing out on months of fun if you wait.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 1:21:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I have never seen a Tan SCAR that matches....   some are worse than others...    and the SCAR 17 in tan is harder to come buy than the black ones..
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:50:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never seen a Tan SCAR that matches....   some are worse than others...    and the SCAR 17 in tan is harder to come buy than the black ones..
View Quote

The worst ones have that awful gold color upper.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:24:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Personally I like the mismatched FDE shades. A gun in all the same shade of FDE is just too much IMO.

I think it's up to you if it's worth it. I lucked out when I got mine last December for $2750 and it was during the Geissele trigger promotion. It was pretty difficult to locate.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:15:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I read that the mismatch was intentional as well. Dealer wasn't lying, I know a guy that's been waiting for one from a local dealer for 7 months for the best price. No dice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]
My second 16 was almost completely matching.  My 17 upper is almost OD.  Mismatched is by for more common.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#7]
My 17 is all sorts of FDE.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep the FDE ones don't match.

I traded into my 17, it was listed at $2800 with the Geissele Scar trigger. That was in January of this year. $3250 is high but with the election bullshit (even though Clinton can't walk in and ban ANYTHING, calm down people) it's actually lower than the $4,000 someone is asking on EE right now.

I will say it's worth every penny. Stupid low recoil, light as hell, all around probably the best semi auto on the market right now. Buy it before someone else does.

Pic whoring:

" />
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the replies guys, quick update - I got this bad boy on Friday. Just got a chance to take a 1st quick pic (in my original post). More pic's to follow as, I've already ordered a few items and they're in route
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies guys, quick update - I got this bad boy on Friday. Just got a chance to take a 1st quick pic (in my original post). More pic's to follow as, I've already ordered a few items and they're in route
View Quote

Congrats dude.  Welcome to the party!
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Can you do me a favor and take a pic of the face of the bolt, and also the face of the piston before you clean them?

I'm curious to see if yours looks the same as my most recent 17 purchase.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can you do me a favor and take a pic of the face of the bolt, and also the face of the piston before you clean them?

View Quote

10-4 roger that, it probably won't be until the end of the week. But, I'll get some pics posted for you.

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#13]
My favorite rifle by far.  More than accurate enough even being a battle rifle and not a precision rifle.  The only upgrade that is a must is a Geiselle trigger everything else is just gravy.

I got black but it looks deep navy blue.

I have a G trigger on mine, tango down grip, GGG charging handle(a member sent me) and I alternate from a Aimpoint PRO, Vortex 6-20, and a 1-4 optic on.

I want to get an extended M-Lok rail to attach a bi-pod.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

10-4 roger that, it probably won't be until the end of the week. But, I'll get some pics posted for you.

Cheers
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers

Thank you! That would be amazing. Seriously, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#15]
When they originally came out with Scars the goal was the have them match all the same shade of FDE. The problem was its nearly impossible to perfectly match anodized metal, with plastic. So they were never perfect. And when the first "limited edition" early SCARs came out owners bitched that the upper was a slightly different shade of FDE vs the plastic.

So FN solved that issue by saying "they are not supposed to match" and dramatically changed the colors. Like others have said, can even vary now from batch to batch. Mine has a green upper, brown lower, FDE pistol grip, and tan buttstock. I actually love the mismatch. Gives it a natural camo look.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:13:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers

Pics as requested...finally got all my mods completed.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top