Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2016 8:43:03 AM EDT
Last weekend I acquired my "Grail gun"... The 17s. I'm in love. I am trying to prioritize my upgrades and not go hog wild all at once. So far I have ordered/purchased:

Ta-33 ACOG- green chevron, .308 BDC ( wanted the Elcan 4x, ALMOST got the .223 reticle as I can't find the .308 to save my life)
ADM ACOG mount
HK sling hooks for my BFG vcas
5 mags (will be doing a couple per check, $40 frickin bucks a mag?!)
AAC 51t flash hider for my 762sd

The rifle came with the Super Scar trigger installed. Awesome deal for $2800 unfired I think. Am I missing anything? Anything I should know about? I also filed form 1 to chop barrel to 13". I am going the mk17 CQC route with this guy.

Any downside to having an ADCO chop as appose to the $900 13" barrel?

Any quirks I will find in this rifle?

Lastly, I'm worried about the can.... Anyone have issues with the 762sd/AAC blackout combo? I do not want a baffle strike

*EDIT- it just hit me as I posted... I did go a little hog wild.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Enjoy! Sounds like a setup for good shooting. Looks like you have most of the bases covered; I wouldn't do another thing to it IMHO.

Check the suppressor sub forum for that question.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The G trigger is the single best upgrade you can do so at least you have that out of the way.  I love my SCAR 17s and it took the G trigger to do that because my stock one was terrible super heavy, gritty, and no clean break.

Where are the pics?  Rules are rules!
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Can't believe I forgot the rules... Sorry about that!

Since its stock and boring, here is a pic with its little Jewish brother:

" />
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't chop the 16" barrel. First, it's the original Belgian-made barrel. Second, 16" is a great length for a 7.62 battle rifle. Save your pennies while waiting for Form 1 approval and score a factory 13" CQC barrel. This will allow you to take full advantage of the SCAR system.

Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't believe I forgot the rules... Sorry about that!

Since its stock and boring, here is a pic with its little Jewish brother:

http://<a href=http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u510/davegibbs45/610A8466-2EBC-4DC5-943C-BC0CD61D21A4.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

I remember when mine was stock but I really have not done much to mine.  

G trigger
Vortex PST 1-4x24\LT104 mount
GG&G ext charging handle because I dusted my knuckles pretty bad on the QD levers a few times.
QD added to rail until I finally get around to putting the MI M-Lok rail extension
TangoDown grip (I hate the A2 grip)
I am also considering getting rid of the muzzle brake (so damn loud)
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't chop the 16" barrel. First, it's the original Belgian-made barrel. Second, 16" is a great length for a 7.62 battle rifle. Save your pennies while waiting for Form 1 approval and score a factory 13" CQC barrel. This will allow you to take full advantage of the SCAR system.

Just my $.02.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my $.02.

This

I understand that side of the argument. I know I have spent a lot of money as it is, so 8-900 more doesn't seem like much, however my though process is that once it's form 1ed I have no need or intention to go back to the 16" barrel. So having 2 barrels doesn't do me a whole lot of good.

Just my though process on the matter.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I understand that side of the argument. I know I have spent a lot of money as it is, so 8-900 more doesn't seem like much, however my though process is that once it's form 1ed I have no need or intention to go back to the 16" barrel. So having 2 barrels doesn't do me a whole lot of good.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my $.02.

This

I'm having a similar thought with mine. I really don't see myself going shorter than 13, or really needing to go up to 16 for anything I'll be doing with it. I'm too lazy to SBR it for 13" when I can cut/pin it with my suppressor break at about 13.8". That extra 3/4" really isn't worth the hassle of paperwork/$200/NFA status to me. It'll be married to the suppressor/mount/barrel anyway for me. Either way I won't need a 16" barrel so it makes little sense for me to buy a spare.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#9]
If sticking with 16" barrel, I like the MLOK handguard from Kinetic Development Group.

Pretty sure a SCAR17 with a TA11, Geissele trigger and the KDG fore-end is on my list for Jun / Jul 2016.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#10]
After looking around today at 13" barrel prices and seeing everything over $1,000, I'm pretty sure I will be sending mine to adco. I won't be going back to a 16" length anyway. That $900 savings is like 6 scar mags
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Little update.... Got my ACOG! I was torn between the Elcan os4x, TA-11 and TA-33. Looking back I kinda wish I went TA-11 for the field of view but I like the ta-33 as well. Great reticle, the green chevron is tits... Pictures with AAC 762sd.

" />
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Little update.... Got my ACOG! I was torn between the Elcan os4x, TA-11 and TA-33. Looking back I kinda wish I went TA-11 for the field of view but I like the ta-33 as well. Great reticle, the green chevron is tits... Pictures with AAC 762sd.

http://<a href=http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u510/davegibbs45/A14F54DC-75A3-49BE-8F2D-1710EEEDD32C.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

The 11 and 33 are both highly regarded for the 17, and I'd certainly not have buyers remorse of one v. the other. I went with the 11 because it 'looked' right as mature as it sounds lol ones lighter weight, the other has more FOV. Six of one half dozen of the other. I admit I want an Elcan, but I appreciate the 17s light weight, and that takes away from that significantly (and I fear I may be too cheap).
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 3:51:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Last weekend I acquired my "Grail gun"... The 17s. I'm in love. I am trying to prioritize my upgrades and not go hog wild all at once. So far I have ordered/purchased:

Ta-33 ACOG- green chevron, .308 BDC ( wanted the Elcan 4x, ALMOST got the .223 reticle as I can't find the .308 to save my life)
ADM ACOG mount
HK sling hooks for my BFG vcas
5 mags (will be doing a couple per check, $40 frickin bucks a mag?!)
AAC 51t flash hider for my 762sd

The rifle came with the Super Scar trigger installed. Awesome deal for $2800 unfired I think. Am I missing anything? Anything I should know about? I also filed form 1 to chop barrel to 13". I am going the mk17 CQC route with this guy.

Any downside to having an ADCO chop as appose to the $900 13" barrel?

Any quirks I will find in this rifle?

Lastly, I'm worried about the can.... Anyone have issues with the 762sd/AAC blackout combo? I do not want a baffle strike

*EDIT- it just hit me as I posted... I did go a little hog wild.
View Quote

SWFA has a couple 7.62 reticles specterDR Elcans. I was over there and checked out a 1-6 Elcan. I seemed to like to Leupold MK 6 1-6 w the CMR 7.62 reticle better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Loving this gun

" />
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Take the sticker off!  
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Try to find a Handl Defense aluminum lower (or have yours milled to accept PMags), and have fun. I WILL be getting one this year.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Looking good!  Here are a couple of my observations:

If you haven't found out yet, I would get an aftermarket CH.  The stock one always left my knuckles bleeding.
Get rid of the sticker.
I wouldn't do the Handel lower just to save some money on mags.  You will end up spending more in the long run unless you buy a ton of mags.
Consider a shorter, lighter suppressor?  It will help a lot when you get the 13" barrel to balance the gun though.  You don't save a lot of weight losing 3" of the thin barrel, but getting the suppressor 3" closer helps quite a bit.
I wouldn't bother with an aftermarket barrel.  Just get the factory one cut.
I really like the PMM selector switches.  I didn't realize how much I didn't like the factory ones until I got the PMM switches installed.  Much better!
I haven't looked for them in a while, but I got my SCAR17 mags for $27 off Gunbroker.
I would like to get an MREX to add to mine.  They make one for the 13" barrelled uppers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top