Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2015 7:43:18 PM EDT
I've done some looking into buying a SCAR and want one bad.

On the fnforums it seems they are known to eat optics.  Looks like an old thread but the debate still continues.  Is this really a problem?  I'm about to dump everything I have to buy a SCAR17 or 16 and then putting on a high end optic, thinking ACOG.  

This will be the most expensive toy I've ever purchased and I don't want to get it wrong.

Is this an issue?  Are there certain optics that can hold up to the abuse?  Should I buy something different like a Sig 716?

I didn't want this to be my first post on fnforums and be accused of trolling as I'm not in any way.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Well...................  Until you brought it back up just now....................  :)
There was a thread here that finally went into the archives I guess.

It's the same hate and discontent as you found on FNH forums..........  probably the same people.

Google it and read away...............  Short version:  Yes or No.  You decide.  

It was over the 17 BTW- not the 16..........
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a 1-4x Vortex viper for a short time that took a crap when on my 17 but I have had no problems with 2 acogs or my T-1.

3:1 ratio
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#3]
no problem with my ACOG or Specter DR
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've done some looking into buying a SCAR and want one bad.

On the fnforums it seems they are known to eat optics.  Looks like an old thread but the debate still continues.  Is this really a problem?  I'm about to dump everything I have to buy a SCAR17 or 16 and then putting on a high end optic, thinking ACOG.  

This will be the most expensive toy I've ever purchased and I don't want to get it wrong.

Is this an issue?  Are there certain optics that can hold up to the abuse?  Should I buy something different like a Sig 716?

I didn't want this to be my first post on fnforums and be accused of trolling as I'm not in any way.
View Quote

I've run about everything on a scar at one point or another and NEVER had an optics failure.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#5]
If you buy a quality optic you cant go wrong.  Even IF it craps out, the optic manufacturer will warranty it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Keep in mind these stores of the SCARs eating optics in the US military are also probably occurring in situations where a LOT of rounds being sent down range. Like 10k rounds in a few days type of shooting and running the guns REALLY hard.

I doubt any of us here could afford to shoot one enough to worry about it. My SCAR 17 has been fine with a Leupold Mark 4 for 3k or so thus far. No problems.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#7]
The 17 will chow crappy optics. A member here I traded with (Burris xtr 1-4) posted a video on youtube how his 17 turned the scope (the Burris I traded him which was basically new)into a baby rattle. I personally had one of my 17s shoot a Leatherwood CMR 1-4 out of zero. It was fine on my DI ARs but absolutely would not hold zero on my 17.If you buy an Acog/Aimpoint/Leupold MK4 or 6/Elcan etc... you will be just fine ( I have read/heard Vortex and Nightforce optics are GTG on the 17 as well). Buy once,cry once.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Optics that broke on my 17 : Kahles Helia L, Zeiss Z Point and Burris XTR Tactical

Optics that have worked fine on my 17 : Trijicon Tri Power and Nightforce NXS
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
A SCAR-17 is on my short list to buy this year so no, I haven't had any first hand experience with the civilian models.  I worked with the SCAR-H a few years ago using Elcan optics and they worked fine.  I would say that a military grade rifle rates military grade optics.  Along those lines, I would stick with an Elcan or Trijicon.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#10]
My ACOG broke into 100 pieces!  Just kidding.  My ACOG ta11 has been fine.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#11]
There was one particular guy in that thread spreading a lot of BS.  When I tried to call him out on it, stating that my Eotech 553 has been fine on my Scar 17, his response was: "how much full auto do you shoot?"
So NOW it's full auto Scar 17's that eat optics
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#12]
::shrug::

I have no dog in this fight - but it's worth noting that the SOPMOD program classifies optics and electronics as either "[S]CAR Hardened" or not - including some, otherwise seemingly identical models with new nomenclature that are rated as "CAR Hardened," which would seem to indicate that there is "something different" about the [S]CAR and optical devices.  

What amount of relevance that has to civilian users without organizationally provided ammunition or select-fire capabilities, I cannot comment on, but the fact that NSWC-Crane has a separate classification for this lends credence to the idea that "there may be something to this."  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
::shrug::

I have no dog in this fight - but it's worth noting that the SOPMOD program classifies optics and electronics as either "[S]CAR Hardened" or not - including some, otherwise seemingly identical models with new nomenclature that are rated as "CAR Hardened," which would seem to indicate that there is "something different" about the [S]CAR and optical devices.  

What amount of relevance that has to civilian users without organizationally provided ammunition or select-fire capabilities, I cannot comment on, but the fact that NSWC-Crane has a separate classification for this lends credence to the idea that "there may be something to this."  

~Augee
View Quote

wow..thats very interesting!thanks
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Had a 1-4x Vortex viper for a short time that took a crap when on my 17 but I have had no problems with 2 acogs or my T-1.

View Quote

Got a 1-4 viper pst myself on there, still banging away zero problems five years later. . .
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Got a 1-4 viper pst myself on there, still banging away zero problems five years later. . .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not 5 years here but at least 1K on the SCAR 17 and the optic no issues.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Get the Elcan Specter Dr for the Scar 17... No issues with mine
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:13:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Heres my 2 cents on this as a SCAR 17 owner.   From actual personal experience, i tossed a TA11 on it in a Larue mount.  Ive had the same setup on other rifles (m1a, ar, etc.) and never bothered to rocksett the optic to the mount or tighten the hell out of it.  On other rifles it was never an issue but the SCAR had a way to bang it loose.  Now after going through proper per manual install ive shot hundreds of rounds without an issue on the SCAR.  I absolutely DO think the SCAR is harder on optics, but as others of said with an ACOG or quality optic (mounted properly), its unlikely you will have major issues.  

For another note,  the machine shop that does my SBR engraving also makes custom NVG setups. They have had multiple failures on the SCAR 17 and in an attempt to solve the issue they purchased a bunch of from what I understand to be "blemish" SCARs for testing purposes.  Their stock NVGs hit the skids almost every time on the 17 after 2 or 3 thousand rounds.   The prevailing theory was that it had something to do with the PWS brake, but what they ended up finding was that the bolt returning to battery produced some type of vibration that was hard on things sitting on the rail.  When they went back to the drawing board with their NVG's they were able to reinforce certain areas including the tube housing itself which eliminated the issue.  All in all, everyone loves the rifle but you have to be exceptionally choosy with optics, especially if you are in the Night vision game.  On a weirder note,  it seemed even worse when the rifle was suppressed once they learned what to measure for.  Go figure!  

After having the rifle for a few years, I wouldnt tell anyone not to buy one,  its a damn cadillac of a .308 rifle.  As long as you stick to optics proven track you will have the finest combat rifle out there in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:17:21 AM EDT
[#18]
With about 2500 rounds down range:

Vortex Viper 2.5-10  = no issues so far
Trijicon TA31f ACOG = no issues so far
Aimpoint T1 = no issues so far
Eotech EXPS3-2 = no issues so far
Trijicon SRS = no issues so far
         *** and ***
Primary Arms MDS-6 $80 cheap-o red dot = no issues so far.

Of all of these, the ACOG and the Primary Arms have the most rounds through them, I don't shoot the Vortex on there much, as I moved it over to a different .308.
I recently bought the T1 to replace the Primary Arms sight, but that was more out of finally have money to do so than any short coming of the MDS-6, which still holds zero and still works fine after about 800 rounds.
Eotech and SRS have about 100 rounds each, so that hardly counts. Can't stand the Eotech, and the SRS moved over to a Tavor.

I don't know if Scars eat optics, or if the optic failure others are reporting is within "normal" optic failure rates.
All I can attest to, is MY Scar hasn't eaten any optics.
I still have the PWS brake on mine. I wonder if that's true for those reporting broken glass?
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:03:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I ruined a PA 1-6 ACSS scope on a SCAR17.
Upgraded to a Leupold 1-6. After a thousand'ish rounds the dot turns on and off while firing even with a new battery.

Will see how much longer it lasts.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:06:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I heard that Scars eat optics
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I ruined a PA 1-6 ACSS scope on a SCAR17.Upgraded to a Leupold 1-6. After a thousand'ish rounds the dot turns on and off while firing even with a new battery.
Will see how much longer it lasts.
View Quote

What happened to the 1-6?  and did PA cover it?

I was thinking about trying it out on my scar.  Currently have it on my noveske.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#22]
My 1-6 ACSS Gen 1-lens came loose. Scope was well over a year old however it was not used much. PA gave me store credit.

ACSS Gen 2 would go in and out of focus and had a spec of dirt inside-PA refunded me.

Also had one of their red dots fail on a different rifle.

Have not had good luck with their stuff but many others have.

Would like to try one of their newer red dots on an AK but am hesitant.

Have bought many other items from them.

Their customer service is top notch!
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

There was one particular guy in that thread spreading a lot of BS. When I tried to call him out on it, stating that my Eotech 553 has been fine on my Scar 17, his response was: "how much full auto do you shoot?"

So NOW it's full auto Scar 17's that eat optics
View Quote

my eotech 553 has been just fine on my 17, too.  no full auto shooting but its stood up to a few thousand rounds with no problems.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I heard that Scars eat optics
View Quote

Me SCAR love to eat optics. Yumm! (in Grimlock voice)
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:17:55 AM EDT
[#25]

I have a SCAR 17s. I cant say if it eats optics or not as it is my precious safe queen
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I used eotech, aimpoint, leopold and elcan on my scar 17s with no problems .

If you buy cheep optics you will have problem with any rifle even .22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top