Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/3/2009 4:24:37 PM EDT
But after nearly a 1 year to the day wait, my SCAR finally has arrived.  My overall impression is that everything the SCAR does, my XCR appears to do better.

It's an extremely nice gun and I'll save my final judgment for when I have a couple thousand rounds down range, but overall, I'm not too impressed.  My FS2000 and PS90 are still way nicer in terms of finish as there are a lot of "factory" blemishes/nicks on the SCAR.  I opened it fresh from the shipping box, so I know it wasn't done at the store, and there was nothing to do the damage inside the box (aside from the two booklets, the lock, and the mag).  

I'll take a bunch of breakdown pictures later on, also comparing it to the XCR, but this is just to post my first impressions.  Nice gun, not really too impressed.  Incredibly well balanced and a very nice weight, it's ergonomic, and appears to be rather robust other than the stock which seems to have some "plastic play", almost like I could snap it off it I try hard enough.  I won't though :p .

On the stock issue, if you lock the stock in the shouldered position, push the stock in the folded position without pushing the button, it feels (and looks) like it's going to break with just a little bit more pressure.  Oh, and the stock LOCKS open, WHOOPTY ####ING DO, because in order to lock the stock in the shouldered position, you have to push the freaking button again!  Maybe this goes with a bit more force and time, but right now, I'm just afraid the polymer is going to break.  It's like the inlet isn't ramped enough to allow for a fluid lock.

XCR folder...

SCAR folder...

If it functions as good as the reviews that I have read, I'll surely keep it.  I'm just not getting that warm and fuzzy feeling though like I do with plenty of other guns.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I am betting your opinion of this rifle will be a little better after firing. The rifle has hardly any recoil at all when compared to my ar, and is very comfortable to shoot. Although it does seem the stock is somewhat flimsy, it proves to be comfortable during firing. Also, if your's is like mine, it will shoot some awesome groups.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The stock will no doubt be improved when they start breaking in the field, but it should be noted -and remembered- that the SCAR is not intended to be the end all, spare no expense rifle.  It's intended to be a more reliable and cheaper alternative to the M4.  

"Less expensive" shows all over the SCAR, some positives and some negatives.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The stock will no doubt be improved when they start breaking in the field, but it should be noted -and remembered- that the SCAR is not intended to be the end all, spare no expense rifle.  It's intended to be a more reliable and cheaper alternative to the M4.  

If it's supposed to be less expensive, why is it over $2000, compared to a Colt 16" or 14.5" at what, $1300? Is that just the "dumb civilian" surcharge?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's supposed to be less expensive, why is it over $2000, compared to a Colt 16" or 14.5" at what, $1300? Is that just the "dumb civilian" surcharge?

you got it.. dumb civi charge

that fs2000 you're holding costs .mil/LE customers less than half of what you paid
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never said less expensive to civvies...

ETA: Without sacrificing reliability, the SCAR was designed from the outset to be less expensive to manufacture. There are fewer and simpler parts used and more use of molded plastic rather than milled metal.  Parts and systems were designed to last longer as well, significantly extending system lifespan and reducing maintenance costs. The barrel reportedly will last 30,000 rounds before needing replacement.  The barrel is more expensive than an M4 barrel, but .mil will be buying 1 SCAR barrel for every 4-6 M4 barrels.

As discussed in another thread, there is but a single gas port diameter and location on every SCAR barrel regardless of length.  Barrel length-related pressure differences are adjusted in the gas block by use of a simple threaded insert.  They've eliminated the costly and dizzying assortment of M16 barrels, each with their own gas port location and diameter, that need to be manufactured and stocked: 20", 14.5", 11.5", 10.5"...

The infamous stock (which I don't like either) is actually the result of careful study.  Yes, it's flimsy, but buttstocks are just not used as clubs like they used to be.  It's designed to be as strong as it needs to be to survive the normal rigors of combat and training.  The gun was also designed to be able to stay in the fight if the stock breaks.  The AR/M16 becomes a club if the buffer tube is bent or dented.

I certainly think we're going to see a lot of part and system revisions to the SCAR as it gets worked, but for now, this is where we're at.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:22:49 AM EDT
[#6]
You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. I have over 1,500 rounds through mine and a new unfired one. I snap the shit out of my stock with no breakage. Manhandle it! Clean it, fire 500 rounds through it, then clean it again and shoot another 1000 rounds. Mine is the cats ass. The action gets smoother as is breaks in.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#7]
New polymer is pretty darn durable.

It can take a good beating plus it can't rust.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Absolutely, I'd trust my FS2000 on the battlefield any day of the week.  HOWEVER, the FN SCAR?  HELL NO.  The point made is 100% correct though, the point at which I feel it would break would not effect the function of the rifle.  It would still fire just fine.

Like  said, shoulder the SCAR so that the stock is locked in the extended position.  Now put pressure on it as if you were trying to fold the stock without pushing the "unlock" button.  The plastic will undoubtedly break with just a wee bit more pressure.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely, I'd trust my FS2000 on the battlefield any day of the week.  HOWEVER, the FN SCAR?  HELL NO.  The point made is 100% correct though, the point at which I feel it would break would not effect the function of the rifle.  It would still fire just fine.

Like  said, shoulder the SCAR so that the stock is locked in the extended position.  Now put pressure on it as if you were trying to fold the stock without pushing the "unlock" button.  The plastic will undoubtedly break with just a wee bit more pressure.

prove it.......

It's warranteed and they'll fix it if it breaks, but I'm calling bullshit..  

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

prove it.......

There was a guy here who received a SCAR NIB with a broken stock, no BS. I believe that it was warrantied, but there was a long delay.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

prove it.......

There was a guy here who received a SCAR NIB with a broken stock, no BS. I believe that it was warrantied, but there was a long delay.

i remember that as well.. he was one of the first to get it, and they ended up replacing the entire rifle or something
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:43:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice pair.

The SPR-ish look of your XCR is very cool.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:04:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Well you know, after a year wait, another month or two for fixing the stock wouldn't be so hard to take.  I'm not so sure they would warranty it though.

Do you have a SCAR? If you do, try it.  If you don't, I'm not sure how you can call bullshit.  I'm holding it right now and I'm fairly confident that I could rather easily break this stock.  Like I said, lock the stock in the shoulder ready position, now put pressure on it towards the folder side.  There is a HELL of a lot of stress going on.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

prove it.......

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Right now is a bad time to go experimenting with the SCAR. There are no user-installed spare parts available and I doubt if FN has much of a stockpile to support civilian rifle. Very low priority we are.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Right now is a bad time to go experimenting with the SCAR. There are no user-installed spare parts available and I doubt if FN has much of a stockpile to support civilian rifle. Very low priority we are.

It's this reason, and the lack of SBR support that I am taking a wait and see approach.

FN's support for spares on the FS2k and PS90 isnt exactly stellar, so I hope the SCAR is better or I wont be buying one.

That's one thing I really lke about the XCR. You can get buckets of spares in 2-3 days
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#16]
These pictures speak for themselves IMO.

A simple guide to field stripping each platform....

XCR

DONE.

SCAR

DONE

Side by side

Bolts

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice Comparison photos!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#18]
dp  
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice pictures.  One of the few side-by-side comparisons of these rifles I've seen.  

Aside from the crap stock, does the rest of the SCAR give you the feeling that you bought something special?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice pictures.  One of the few side-by-side comparisons of these rifles I've seen.  

Aside from the crap stock, does the rest of the SCAR give you the feeling that you bought something special?

The bolt release really irks me.  Other than that, it's a nice rifle, and I guess it's just tough to appreciate next to the XCR.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've been a critic of the plastic stock & the tool-dependant bbl. change system.  To be fair, plastic stocks seem to be in vogue (AK-74, Berreta ARX-160), so it may or may not even see change unless it experiences particular failures.  Looks like Baretta has a nice overall package.  The true single-button QC bbl. & user-swappable ejection side (it literally requires only a bullet tip to swap the ejection side) are pretty slick; stock looks like more of an afterthought compared to the Mk16/SCAR.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been a critic of the plastic stock & the tool-dependant bbl. change system.  To be fair, plastic stocks seem to be in vogue (AK-74, Berreta ARX-160), so it may or may not even see change unless it experiences particular failures.  Looks like Baretta has a nice overall package.  The true single-button QC bbl. & user-swappable ejection side (it literally requires only a bullet tip to swap the ejection side) are pretty slick; stock looks like more of an afterthought compared to the Mk16/SCAR.

I think a simple change in the plastic used in the stock would be enough.  Maybe make part of it metal.
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think a simple change in the plastic used in the stock would be enough.  Maybe make part of it metal.

The version that FN originally presented to SOCOM had more aluminum in the stock - the hinged assembly that slides down off the receiver was originally aluminum. The lower receiver was also originally aluminum as well.

From what I understand these items got changed at the request of SOCOM in order to make the rifle even lighter. I do wish that they had left it well enough alone.

But as has been mentioned above make sure that you shoot it before passing judgment - they are scary accurate and have almost no recoil. Very smooth shooting!
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The version that FN originally presented to SOCOM had more aluminum in the stock - the hinged assembly that slides down off the receiver was originally aluminum. The lower receiver was also originally aluminum as well.

From what I understand these items got changed at the request of SOCOM in order to make the rifle even lighter. I do wish that they had left it well enough alone.

But as has been mentioned above make sure that you shoot it before passing judgment - they are scary accurate and have almost no recoil. Very smooth shooting!

Scary accurate is what we want.  If more SCARs can get out in the public's hands, maybe the aftermarket can come up with a better-made stock. Look at what's available for the AR, AK, et al.   I whine on and on about the price, which is the FIRST thing FNH needs to work on.
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 6:13:52 AM EDT
[#25]
This is the point of which I'm complaining about on the stock.  As you can see, they are very thin lips of polymer and hopefully it gives a picture of why it's a concern (to me).  And after looking at it, I definitely would NOT want to shoot this rifle if the stock did break off here.  I'm fairly positive that it would effect the function.

Link Posted: 11/7/2009 6:27:53 AM EDT
[#26]
And another part that has no business being polymer....I can't imagine a shit load of these NOT breaking in the field...

Link Posted: 11/7/2009 6:28:50 AM EDT
[#27]
double
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#28]
^ lame

And I wouldn't want to clear a jam by ramming the butt into the ground, not with this weak link
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The version that FN originally presented to SOCOM had more aluminum in the stock -
the hinged assembly that slides down off the receiver was originally aluminum
. The lower receiver was also originally aluminum as well.

I just read that, and IMO, they should have never changed that.  They could have just used an injection mold around a think piece of aluminum.
Link Posted: 11/8/2009 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This is the point of which I'm complaining about on the stock.  As you can see, they are very thin lips of polymer and hopefully it gives a picture of why it's a concern (to me).  And after looking at it, I definitely would NOT want to shoot this rifle if the stock did break off here.  I'm fairly positive that it would effect the function.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp333/svh19044/SCARweakpoint001.jpg
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp333/svh19044/SCARweakpoint002.jpg

That is exactly the part of the stock that used to be aluminum...

In typical fashion the government folks decided it was worth saving the extra 2 or 3 ounces. They also asked for the change from the original aluminum lower with SAW grip to the plastic lower with AR grip. I personally like the SAW grip - it seems to fit my hands better. The original responses to this rifle from the SOCOM folks was VERY positive so of course they started changing things right away!

I still think it is a good rifle however - and it is a pleasure to shoot!
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp333/svh19044/SCARweakpoint001.jpg
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp333/svh19044/SCARweakpoint002.jpg

Wow. That looks incredibly fragile
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#32]
The SCAR is a very nice rifle and I'm really glad I bought one. I would have to agree that with the stock fully out there is some side to side play in it and I'm not too crazy about that, however I decided to go for broke and I put some serious pressure on it by pushing on it and I wasn't able to get it to snap. Did it move? Yes, but no more than the "slop" that's already there. Now about where it connects up to the back of the reciever, yes it does look fragile however I don't think it's a problem because it feels very strong. I'm not about to go beating it with a hammer but I think that it will be able to take whatever abuse we can give it. I say this because even though it's where the pressure of the bolt is going it's spread out over a wide area, I do see where you would be concerned but I'm not seeing any stress marks on mine yet. Back at the OP with the folding issue, yeah I couldn't care less if it folded, but I am able to get it relocked in the firing position without hitting the button by moving it with a little bit of speed and force, but not a lot. Overall I absolutley love my SCAR and I wouldn't hesitate to use it in any situation in where I might have to fire it. Perhaps when they start producing aftermarket parts for it someone will bring out a stock with some metal in it that will address concerns that shooters have. They don't even have to make a folder, just one the has the adjustable LOP and cheekpiece. This is all my personal opinion on what I've seen with my weapon, I'm going to keep a close eye on those parts and if I start to notice a problem I will post it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I finally got to fondle one at my local fun store 2 weeks ago. They are asking $3400.
I was impressed with how light it was, but that was about it. It may be a nice rifle but on initial
inspection it felt like a toy rifle with all that plastic/polymer. Not crazy about that ridiculous charging
handle either. Don't bash me. Like I said it may be a great rifle performance wise; I really don't know. Just
commenting on my initial impression of holding the rifle. Def. not worth $3400 or $2000 IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Held one at the funshow.  Neat rifle but they were asking 3600, not 3600 dollars worth of neat.  Did fold the stock to the dismay of the guy running the table, I think he was afraid I was gonna break it  To be honest the rifle was really nice, but the stock did seem like the weak link.  A bit of rattle and didn't seem like it'd work for pogo'ing someones face as well as an A2.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I, too, prefer my XCR. I've shot my XCR and my friend's SCAR that he waited over a year to get side by side. I could honestly not see a single thing the SCAR did better than the XCR aside from the FN logo on the side (if that's important to you), but I saw quite a few things that the XCR had over the SCAR. It's a nice rifle, but not worth what FN wants for it. Now price it like the XCR, about $1500, and it would be more appealing to me.

ETA: my shooting buddy wishes he'd have listened to me an bought an XCR instead. He would sell the SCAR, but he says he waited so long for it that it would be a shame to get rid of it now.
Link Posted: 11/16/2009 5:56:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Anyone remember the scene from Deal of the Century(1983) where Chevy Chase's character stands on the rifle to demonstrate how tough it was?

I think the point is that "strong" isn't strong enough compared to what it could be if a different design or material was used. Someday, somewhere, this rifle is going to be used like a club and not be as effective.
Link Posted: 11/16/2009 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#38]
has anyone run one of these through a class yet?
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
has anyone run one of these through a class yet?

I recall reading a couple of class reports. I cant recall where though.

I think the price will regulate the majority of SCAR's to safe queens only for now. Once they become mainstays on dealer shelves I think more people will be comfortable with flogging them
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I picked my scar up yesterday and I have to say it felt pretty solid to me.  IMHO the stock seems much sturdier than the one on my AR and the polymer doesn't seem flimsy or chintzy in any way whatsoever.  With that said, mine will probably be a safe queen since I really like my LWRC AR and I am already familiar with it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 5:28:57 AM EDT
[#41]
I like both of them but all things considered, I still lean towards the Sig 556 SBR.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 7:01:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I like both of them but all things considered, I still lean towards the Sig 556 SBR.

make that two of us.  the XCR is nice though
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys may want to take a quick look over at:
www.sigforum.com
and
www.sigarms556.com

The problems with the US made Sig 556 rifles are ongoing and numerous.

I own both a SCAR and a Sig 556 Classic and although I do like the Sig - it is no where near in the same class as the FN.

If you get a chance to shoot and examine the two side please do so - it is quite an eye opener!
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Anyone remember the scene from Deal of the Century(1983) where Chevy Chase's character stands on the rifle to demonstrate how tough it was?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQREVP3WDaU

Link Posted: 11/26/2009 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.sigforum.com
and
www.sigarms556.com

I own both a SCAR and a Sig 556 Classic and although I do like the Sig - it is no where near in the same class as the FN.

If you get a chance to shoot and examine the two side please do so - it is quite an eye opener!

I've owned 4 Sig 556s now and haven't had issues with any.  There are some issues with some 556s.  Just as there are with some SCARs and some XCRs.  The 556 is a great rifle with cheap factory furniture and factory accessories.  I'm sure that the SCAR is a great gun too.  Will it run and run and run like a 556?  Time will tell.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.sigforum.com
and
www.sigarms556.com

I've owned 4 Sig 556s now and haven't had issues with any.  There are some issues with some 556s.  Just as there are with some SCARs and some XCRs.  The 556 is a great rifle with cheap factory furniture and factory accessories.  I'm sure that the SCAR is a great gun too.  Will it run and run and run like a 556?  Time will tell.

Trying to draw any type of parallel between the 556 and SCAR is seriously freaking reaching.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.sigforum.com
and
www.sigarms556.com

Trying to draw any type of parallel between the 556 and SCAR is seriously freaking reaching.

Not at all.  The Sig 556 some cosmetic challenges but it has been proven extremely reliable.  If the SCAR is anywhere near as reliable users should be thrilled.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Honestly, the only thing keeping me out of a SCAR is it's ridiculous price.  I paid $1600 for my PS90 and felt ripped off in the end, and won't make that same mistake with another FN gun, a la FS2000 or SCAR.  If it did anything better than other guns available for less than half its price, I would be more interested in buying one.

No shooting experience with the Sig 556, which I also consider to be overpriced (but only by a few hundred dollars, not by $1500-$2000), but I would buy a Sig 5.56 before a SCAR 16S because I can at least buy handguards for it, replace the stock if need be, and it would still be at least $1000 less than the SCAR.  

These are my own reasons for not picking up a SCAR.  Some others can justify the price and enjoy the SCAR. Nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.sigforum.com
and
www.sigarms556.com

Not at all.  The Sig 556 some cosmetic challenges but it has been proven extremely reliable.  If the SCAR is anywhere near as reliable users should be thrilled.

Ullie who runs the www.sigarms556.com forum has actually written an open letter to Sig regarding the rampant QC problems with 556 rifles:

Ullie's letter to Sig

Interesting reading to say the least. Trying to say that the 556 has proven itself reliable is naive - it is not a 551/552.
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.sigforum.com
and
www.sigarms556.com

Ullie who runs the www.sigarms556.com forum has actually written an open letter to Sig regarding the rampant QC problems with 556 rifles:

Ullie's letter to Sig

Interesting reading to say the least. Trying to say that the 556 has proven itself reliable is naive - it is not a 551/552.

Well, anybody can write any letter they want.  Should I write a letter and thank them for making the 4 556s that I've owned as reliable as the best of more than any of the other 25 or so long guns I've owned (ARs, AKs, etc.)?  Saying that the 556 is reliable is not naive as reliability and the occasional QC issue are not mutually exclusive.  They simply run and run even if they come with crappy furniture or occasional QA challenges (like all mass produced guns).  What is naive is you acting like the 552 has proven itself more so than the 556.  If you actually knew a lot about the 552, you would know that it actually proved to be less than perfectly reliable.  So Sig came up with improvements in a model dubbed the 553 after the 552s had those reliability issues.  The Sig 556 pistol has the same characteristics as the 553 NOT the less reliable 552:

"SG 553
A new, improved version of the SG 552 has recently been released, the SG 553. Even though it mostly resembles the SG 552, the SG 553 has one key advantage, the recoil spring is now wrapped around the piston rod like in the SG 550/551 models, which address several reliability issues encountered in the SG 552 and also allows the usage of the standard SG 550/551 charging handle. It is available in both the standard short and LB barrel lengths, and with an optional integrated receiver Picatinny rail."

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top