Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Could you SIG 556 weirdo's make your own thread?

Just kidding, I enjoyed reading that letter from Ullie.  For what it's worth, I passed on a great deal for a 556 to my brother a couple years ago.  I had just gotten my XCR and was completely dumbfounded by the abortion of the 556 upon initial inspection.  It proved to be a reliable and accurate shooter, but ugh, it's a disgrace beyond that.  It was one of the first models though that shipped with that $10 Chinese red dot and had those POS BUIS.  There was just too much to talk down upon it for, and honestly, I wouldn't compare that thing to the XCR or SCAR.  I haven't played with the new ones so I can't fully comment.  There are still design inherited features that I believe are a disgrace for a "modern" rifle, but the SCAR has a lot of features that make you go WTF as well.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Just kidding, I enjoyed reading that letter from Ullie.  For what it's worth, I passed on a great deal for a 556 to my brother a couple years ago.  I had just gotten my XCR and was completely dumbfounded by the abortion of the 556 upon initial inspection.  It proved to be a reliable and accurate shooter, but ugh, it's a disgrace beyond that.  It was one of the first models though that shipped with that $10 Chinese red dot and had those POS BUIS.  There was just too much to talk down upon it for, and honestly, I wouldn't compare that thing to the XCR or SCAR.  I haven't played with the new ones so I can't fully comment.  There are still design inherited features that I believe are a disgrace for a "modern" rifle, but the SCAR has a lot of features that make you go WTF as well.

We're beating a dead horse here but if it proved to be a reliable and accurate shooter, those are by far the two most important characteristics one could want in a tool of this type.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're beating a dead horse here but if it proved to be a reliable and accurate shooter, those are by far the two most important characteristics one could want in a tool of this type.

There is no horse to beat, I agree that being reliable is the most important characteristic.  In my opinion, a modern rifle shouldn't be as lacking as the 556, that's all.  From ergonomics, to balance, to take-down, the 556 just isn't there.  But for example, a reason why I don't like the SCAR, the bolt release.  They both suck and failed to make this an ergonomically modern feature.
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#4]
So your complaints are based entirely on how the gun feels? WTF, over.

You haven't had any issues with the higher rail system, the reciprocating handle, or the a2-nub grip? What about the lack of enhanced ergonomics? Any criticisms of the selector angle? What kind of optic mounts have you used? Any awkward shooting positions where the handle smacks something? Do you have to be careful about resting the gun against certain things so the handle doesn't hit it?

Or do you actually not shoot this thing at all, but just complain about how it "feels" on the internet?
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]
My local dealer had three in at a reasonable price. I fully intended to buy one but when I handled it, I too was dissaponted. Just doenst seem like a 2600.00 rifle. Very flimsy and cheap feeling. Maybe if it was 1200.00 I would have bought it and would know what its like to shoot. At the current price I will survive without one...........
BTW, Sig556 sucks
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So your complaints are based entirely on how the gun feels? WTF, over.

You haven't had any issues with the higher rail system, the reciprocating handle, or the a2-nub grip? What about the lack of enhanced ergonomics? Any criticisms of the selector angle? What kind of optic mounts have you used? Any awkward shooting positions where the handle smacks something? Do you have to be careful about resting the gun against certain things so the handle doesn't hit it?

Or do you actually not shoot this thing at all, but just complain about how it "feels" on the internet?

I'm pretty sure that my first post and thread title imply exactly what you presume.  

I don't recall stating issues with the higher rail system, wtf, over?   The reciprocating handle, I don't personally see as a problem, but it is a definite problems to others in the field, and it boggles my mind as to why FN would do this, WTF, over?  On to the A2 grip, I have no problems with that, they are comfortable to me, so no WTF, but over.  The lack of enhanced ergonomics bothers me because of the poorly positioned bolt release, WTF, over?  There are no problems with the selector angle, although I don't have any with the AR either, over.  However, having a long piece of plastic does appear to be a problem, instead of the bulkier HK style plastic selectors which appear much sturdier in design, WTF, over?  The optic mounts haven't been an issue to me since I don't have optics on it yet and enjoy shooting with irons, but according to others, when I am ready, I will need to make careful selections as the poorly positioned reciprocating charging handle will have adverse affects on my knuckles, WTF, over?  

Or do you not read that this was my INITIAL IMPRESSION and I will get a better feel for it when I actually fire the gun and have a couple thousand rounds down range, WTF, OVER?

I mean, really, wouldn't your energy be better spend talking about beauty contests for your AR's?
Link Posted: 11/28/2009 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#7]
This thread went from an owners review to a pile of garbage.. This isn't GD folks
Link Posted: 12/1/2009 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Right now is a bad time to go experimenting with the SCAR. There are no user-installed spare parts available and I doubt if FN has much of a stockpile to support civilian rifle. Very low priority we are.

I think I was one of the first, and few of any SCAR owners to file off over 1/4" of material from the SCAR lower so that I coud fit a MIAD to it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2009 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right now is a bad time to go experimenting with the SCAR. There are no user-installed spare parts available and I doubt if FN has much of a stockpile to support civilian rifle. Very low priority we are.

I think I was one of the first, and few of any SCAR owners to file off over 1/4" of material from the SCAR lower so that I coud fit a MIAD to it.

Any reason you wouldn't file the grip to fit the lower???
Link Posted: 12/1/2009 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any reason you wouldn't file the grip to fit the lower???

Took too long.  10 minutes to the lower and a little trimming of the grip with a dremel on the curved side where the web of your hand goes and now its functions great, havent tried to put the stock A2 grip back on to see if it is still solid anymore but will probably throw that on my SR-15 when I get FDE KAC rail covers and a FDE SOPMOD stock.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top