Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 8/10/2016 7:58:30 PM EDT
So I have a SP1 RR on the way to my dealer.  From the pics it doesn't have the original upper but the lower is the original grey anodizing.

My question is should I go back to an old school SP1 or should I cerakote it black and make it into a modern rifle?  If I go with cerakoting will that depreciate the value down the road?

This will be a shooter also not some safe queen.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then do what YOU like.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So I have a SP1 RR on the way to my dealer.  From the pics it doesn't have the original upper but the lower is the original grey anodizing.

My question is should I go back to an old school SP1 or should I cerakote it black and make it into a modern rifle?  If I go with cerakoting will that depreciate the value down the road?

View Quote

I wouldn't recommend recoating a colt RR. With that said its a conversion rifle so it probably wouldn't hurt the value nearly as much as a factory MG like the M16A1 or A2. I reanodized my non-colt RR and like that it matches all of my new uppers perfectly. But if I had a old grey colored RR I probably would leave it, as it almost draws attention to it in a good way
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#4]
My first M16 was an SP1 conversion.  This was long before M60Joe offered his front pin services.  Changing out uppers/caliber conversions on the SP1 with the big front pin was a PITA.  

If you want to have come meaningful work done, then send it off to M60Joe, have him convert it to a small front pin, and then send it to USA Anodizing for a proper refinish.  The thing that makes the M16 so desirable is its modularity.  This conversion will make your SP1 as modular as regular small front pin guns.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Although Cerakote says you don't need to completely remove the anodized layer on aluminum parts how can one be certain that doesn't happen. That reason alone is why I wouldn't refinish a RR with a product that requires media blasting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Just shoot the damn thing and enjoy it.  I bought one years ago.  I played with it, all my friends played with it.  It's a great think to introduce other to MGs all while the price increases.  If I had it to do all over again I would have bought a couple more.  Congratulations, just don't over thing it and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Having the finish match modern uppers is not at all necessary and in fact I think that black SP1 and A1 lowers don't look right. If anything I would suggest having it reanodized in the same gray by US anodizing so that the autosear hole is anodized.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 1:50:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My first M16 was an SP1 conversion.  This was long before M60Joe offered his front pin services.  Changing out uppers/caliber conversions on the SP1 with the big front pin was a PITA.  

If you want to have come meaningful work done, then send it off to M60Joe, have him convert it to a small front pin, and then send it to USA Anodizing for a proper refinish.  The thing that makes the M16 so desirable is its modularity.  This conversion will make your SP1 as modular as regular small front pin guns.
View Quote

I second this. Its a shooter and a conversion..what ever value would be lost by refinishingit would be gasined back my m60joes front pin service.it is also a reasonable expIanation as to why its been refinished...you could also have the front pin corrected and not refinish it.
I use SP1s with my RDIAS.  They cam around causeing timing and light primer strike issue... and using two flat head screwdrivers to tighten it is a sure fire way to bugger up the holes on your registered receiver.
The adapter pins work ok in semi, but FA you get a mag or two through it then have issues.. that said i do still use them.
I even had one adapter pin sheer off at the threaded part
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Having the finish match modern uppers is not at all necessary and in fact I think that black SP1 and A1 lowers don't look right. If anything I would suggest having it reanodized in the same gray by US anodizing so that the autosear hole is anodized.
View Quote

Leave it grey and anodize the upper to match
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

FWIW, US Anodizing is very, very good at matching the grey colors of earlier Colts.

Here's a lower receiver they refinished for me -- an 80% built into an SBR clone of my Colt M16A1 -- mated to an original-finish Colt M16A1 upper from the 1970's. It's amazing how close they are -- you would think they were anodized at the same time, instead of 40 years apart.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/receiverleftclose2.jpg
View Quote
I'm surprised you didn't go for the faux third hole.  Great looking rifle!

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FWIW, US Anodizing is very, very good at matching the grey colors of earlier Colts.

Here's a lower receiver they refinished for me -- an 80% built into an SBR clone of my Colt M16A1 -- mated to an original-finish Colt M16A1 upper from the 1970's. It's amazing how close they are -- you would think they were anodized at the same time, instead of 40 years apart.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/receiverleftclose2.jpg

Hell why not just paper it with extra hole!
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I decided discretion was the better part of valor, and that adding the faux third hole would amount to rattling the tiger's cage.
View Quote

Good choice, I can only imagine that this year, that tiger is mighty hungry right now!

Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top