Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2015 2:30:40 AM EDT
Has anyone done a FOIA request on this history of their M16?

If yes, can you please detail out exactly what you did start to finish, the cost, and what you received?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Regarding a 9,000,000 series serial number Colt M16A1 carbine.

Mailed FOIA request letter:  Oct. 6, 2014.

Received letter of notification that request was received, request was identified as "simple" (i.e., should be no cost and take about a month to complete):  June 18, 2015.

Nothing further received to date.

I'm mostly interested in the "birth date".

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Good luck!

ETA: Notification letter also indicates that FOIA requests are handled 'first in, first out', so I expect that there is a long line ahead of my request.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm interfered in doing this as well with my M16. There's so little I do out there on Olympic arms lowers it would be cool to atleast know the date of production.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#3]

can I put one in for the 5/6 mgs I sold over the years.

I just want to know how many times they were moved..

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I did a FOIA request several years ago on my PAWS OA M16, was maybe 2-3 months from the time I sent it in till I received it.  Only cost me a stamp to mail it.

Now about a year and half ago I submitted a FOIA request on my MAC M10 and only received a letter that the request was received and they were working on it.  Still haven't received the information back yet.

Edit to add:

Just called them this morning asking for an update.  Original request sent July 2014, Received letter in Oct 2014 that they received my request.  I have sent a couple of emails this year and received a call from them back in March time frame that they were working on it.  There is no reason for it to take this long.  Today I asked the person on the phone to send the supervisor an email to request status update and why it is taking so long.

BTW the FOIA office is separate from the NFA branch office.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Below is the information I sent them.  This is for an Individual, I think the one for a Trust or LLC owned MG is slightly different.  I also think the ATF FOIA address has changed since I last sent a request.

MY NAME
123 Maple Stree
Anycity, TX 12345
Cell, (253) 555-6112

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
ATTN: Disclosure Division, Room 1E400
99 New York Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20226
Fax: (202) 648-9619
Email:[email protected]

Subject: Information Request Pursuant to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)

Dear Sir or Madam:

I, my name, social security number 123-45-6789, residing at MY ADDRESS, hereby request, pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act, that you provide me with all information and copies of all documents related to the firearm(s) specified below, that is, on information and belief, a machinegun (as defined by 26 U.S.C. § 5845(B)) registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record:

- Machine Gun, Model:  M10, Serial Number:  13001245, Manufacture: Military Armament Corp

I am seeking a copy of all information currently in the possession of your agency with regards to the above described gun, including the weapon history report.

I also understand that certain personal information on records relating to the National Firearms Registration and Registration Record are exempt from disclosure under FOIA. To the extent possible, please provide me with copies of such records redacted to remove the exempt information.

I hereby agree to pay all search and duplication fees in the amount of up to $100. If you estimate fees will exceed this amount please contact me. I am making this request as an individual, seeking information for personal use and not for a commercial use, which I believe makes me an "all other requestor" for purposes of calculation of such fees. In support of the preceding sentence, I submit that I currently have no intention of selling the firearm(s) described above and therefore any information obtained by virtue of this request letter would not contribute any significant pecuniary gain to me.

I declare under penalty of perjury (pursuant to 28 USC 1746) that I am my name and to the best of my knowledge that I am the current lawful owner of the machinegun(s) described above, the information set forth in this letter is true and correct, and that I understand the penalties provided in 5 U.S.C. 552a(i)(3) for requesting access to records under false pretenses.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to accommodate your processing of my information request.

Respectfully,

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I got some redacted info on my M16 but this has been maybe 10 years ago. It took a few months, and cost nothing.

The info was shared on the serial number thread, showing that mine was approved in 1979 as part of a group of guns...

9268636 through 9268671 - FOI request shows Form 2 approved on April 4, 1979 as part of a pallet of 72 (number discrepancy noted).
Including:
926866x - RO653 Carbine
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#7]
mine cost nothing

was so heavily redacted as to be nearly useless

took more than 2 years to get back

did find out it was first registered in 1977
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#8]
My opinion is that if you don't have some particular reason to do a FOIA letter, then don't bother.

Finding out that your MAC10 or Group UZI was made in 1985 and transferred a few times is not going to be worth the nuisance of writing the letter and waiting a few years to get a reply.

If you had a police marked Thompson or something historic, maybe it would be worthwhile.

My FOIA on my M16 told me nothing of value.  It's 25 pages of blacked out information.

I know my M16 was registered in Sept. 1977.  whoop de doo

when I sell it, I'll include the FOIA letter so the next guy doesn't waste his time
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, over on another gun board posters are reporting 2+ years for responses to FOIA requests on machine guns.

Get comfortable.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I sent one in for my Thompson right after the Form 4 was approved in July.. No response whatsoever as of yet.

If it comes, it comes... Good luck if you send one...
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]
We have one in on 2 dewatted 1928 receivers from cadmas ind and after about 2 months they said they couldnt find anything at all.  Im not sure what else to do because we know they came with dewat papers that were torched in a house fire. Sucks
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top