Page Armory » M-16
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 3:19:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, what if you took that mag well, chopped off the gnarled bits, and welded it to the back half of a semi-auto lower? Aside from being unfeasible, I'm just going to guess that that would be illegal, yes?

I don't see a reason that would be illegal. You're using what is essentially scrap aluminum to build a title 1 gun. The only issue I would see is due to the markings, but if you were to have documentation concerning the build I don't see it being an issue.

Someone did that w/ an HK416 on HKPro
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?92860-Abandoned-Civilian-416-Project-%28

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q214/HKNC/416Dgraft.jpg

Gave up because it was so difficult to weld the aluminum.

You might be better off buying a 10% 416 forging and "roll your own". Then have the fire selection marking engraved, then anodize the lower, then laser engrave with HK 416 D markings and all that jaz, then color fill the fire selection markings.

Have you tried contacting M60 Joe? I beleive can re-weld lowers

I wasn't the guy in the thread. Not my project. It was HKNC over on HKpro.

As an aside, this might not be a good project to use as an example of legality. The HK416 does not have the serial number on the magwell, as oppossed to the demilled M16. That could present a problem.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 3:58:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, what if you took that mag well, chopped off the gnarled bits, and welded it to the back half of a semi-auto lower? Aside from being unfeasible, I'm just going to guess that that would be illegal, yes?

I don't see a reason that would be illegal. You're using what is essentially scrap aluminum to build a title 1 gun. The only issue I would see is due to the markings, but if you were to have documentation concerning the build I don't see it being an issue.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?92860-Abandoned-Civilian-416-Project-%28

You might be better off buying a 10% 416 forging and "roll your own". Then have the fire selection marking engraved, then anodize the lower, then laser engrave with HK 416 D markings and all that jaz, then color fill the fire selection markings.

I wasn't the guy in the thread. Not my project. It was HKNC over on HKpro.

As an aside, this might not be a good project to use as an example of legality. The HK416 does not have the serial number on the magwell, as oppossed to the demilled M16. That could present a problem.

I wouldn't think so. It's almost like making your own lower from an 80% forging, but instead, your welding an unfinished lower to non-NFA lower w/o a serial number.

But as for the M16s, that may be somewhat tricky. I wonder if a letter to the ATF would answer the question?
I would assume the demilled M16 lower was taken off any kind of registry as being a machine gun...or even a firearm for that matter.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By dangerdan

IIRC, the "firearm" on the 416 is the upper.

I think you're wrong on that one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 5:43:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I meant the serial number...is it not on the upper?
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 5:43:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been trying to find the back half of a demill m16 for a long time.   It will go well with my ammo business card holder on my desk.  Every time this thread bumps prices go up.

And no you can't legally build a transferable m16 from the pieces of one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 6:05:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its on the reciever, but on the back somewhere, just not on the magwell.

The upper might be serialized too. German law makes the bbl a registered part.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most compaines wouldn't touch HK markings. Trust me, I tried. HK is very sue happy. The couple of engravers that I spoke too said not a chance, nothing HK related.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its on both. The upper can be taken off and sold, the s/n does not matter in the US market. I had heard the reason that they were marking the uppers with s/n's was because SOT's that got the post samples where told to not take the guns apart, as it was a unit, and to be able to give a show sample of the weapon, would need both the upper and the lower. They could track uppers that were sold that way. Not sure how much truth is behind that, but I know they had been checking.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its on both. The upper can be taken off and sold, the s/n does not matter in the US market. I had heard the reason that they were marking the uppers with s/n's was because SOT's that got the post samples where told to not take the guns apart, as it was a unit, and to be able to give a show sample of the weapon, would need both the upper and the lower. They could track uppers that were sold that way. Not sure how much
truth is behind that, but I know they had been checking.

I know there were dealers getting demo letters for 416 rifles; pay the $1k whatever price, then part them out for $3k whatever dollars uppers/bolts/etc go for.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2011 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Right, and I know of one local dealer that HK told to get bent when he tried to get another post sample 416. They had seen that the upper that came from a different one he had was sold by itself, so they told him no more.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top