Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2015 4:06:08 PM EDT
Found a sale for a standard new Gemtech Trek. Sale price is $400. Have read some reviews that were positive for what the Trek is. The reviews were a little old. I really have not seen anything negative. This is not my first suppressor and really never looked at buying a Trek before but at this price I think it would be a nice addition to one of my 10.5" uppers. I really have no need or desire right now for another QD suppressor.

For the class, size, and the PRICE...would the Trek be a good buy?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I seem to remember seeing a sale on them for under 300 a while back. 400 is about the going rate.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Phoenix Dist. on gunbroker for $295. A TON of us have bought them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Very happy with my Trek.  Its the regular steel version.    Its on the heavy side, but my Trek lives on a 16" mid length heavy barreled AR with a bipod.    Its decently quiet, mounts easily and adds only 4-5 inches over a standard A2 flash hider.    Maybe not as quiet as my buddies Specwar 5.56, but the Trek has a lower tone.   Overall, Im happy with my Trek and would buy it again.  

An added benefit, the Trek will handle .22-250 per Joey at Gemtech.    I will be getting my .22-250 threaded very soon.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=485812492

Is that sale local?

I bought one of the Trek's from Phoenix at the end of Feb. and just found out that they lost the form 3.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Is that sale local?

I bought one of the Trek's from Phoenix at the end of Feb. and just found out that they lost the form 3.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that sale local?

Law of large numbers. Sounds like an innocent screw up but what do I know.

I've done two transactions with Phoenix and both were smooth. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that sale local?

Agreed. The guy that called said that he just took over the NFA transactions and that things are going to change for the better. He seemed very professional unlike the previous guy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought my Trek from Phoenix Dist. from their gunbroker listing in Mar. - about 8 weeks later I got the e-mail it was shipped to my LGS.

As advertised, it's a NIB Gemteck Trek. My Form 4 has already been sent in, the wait starts again...

For the price, it's a great deal.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I also bought from phoenix. Local dealer got it A-OK and form 4 already started about a month ago.
Stoked.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]
What about a Trek at  $295 vs a Specwar 5.56 at $399? Which to get and why?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know this isn't GD, but the correct answer is to get both.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Great suppressor but honestly if you have the cash i recommend upgrading to the Trek-T, the weight difference is noticeable.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I know this is wrong but my plan is to make this can my bedside can. Don't care what happens with it, if I have to use rifle in the house it won't blow out the ears as bad as unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one and if I had it to do again I wouldn't. Nothing against the can itself but there are better ones on the market now so if our going to have to wait, make it worthwhile. I would also never again buy a dedicated 5.56 can, from now on it will be a .30cal can that I can use on an AR. Been side by side with many .30cal cans and you would have to have some very expensive instruments to tell the difference.
Here is what I tell most anyone who ask my personnel opinion. Get a good .22 can first then look into which of the many .30cal cans and the various mounting options you want next.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#14]
To the OP - another thing to think about is the total cost. A lot of folks forget that a good online price will go up with shipping & LGS fees.

The $295.00 Trek is $315.00 with shipping, and then your LGS adds its fees - locally that's $50.00, so we are up to $365.00.  If the $400 trek is in stock at your LGS, you'll save two months of waiting on the Form 3 by paying $35.00 more.

Just more stuff to think about.

While I have a 7.62 Specwar as my QD, multi gun suppressor, the plan on the Trek is to be a dedicated can on my daughters AR. It fits that role very well.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got both

Who still has SpecWars at $399?

Quoted:
I have one and if I had it to do again I wouldn't. Nothing against the can itself but there are better ones on the market now so if our going to have to wait, make it worthwhile. I would also never again buy a dedicated 5.56 can, from now on it will be a .30cal can that I can use on an AR. Been side by side with many .30cal cans and you would have to have some very expensive instruments to tell the difference.
Here is what I tell most anyone who ask my personnel opinion. Get a good .22 can first then look into which of the many .30cal cans and the various mounting options you want next.

Was it your first/only 556 can?
If so, ya, bad choice. I bought a specwar 556 first and then the trek at these awesome prices. I'm really on the fence about pinning my trek to my BCM 11.5" and saving a tax stamp/avoiding the "hassle" of interstate travel with an SBR. I'm rationalizing it by buying other cans so basically most/all rifles have a dedicated can

We'll see.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I would get the specwar 556 between the two at $399.  I have a specwar and it is great.  Ihave the trek on the way.  If you get only one can and have orwill get something in 30a cal then consider a qd 30 cal can.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

WOW...that is even a better deal. Thanks for posting the link. Bought one last night.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do not know a whole lot about the Specwar but they seem to be a QD mount. In my opinion, a thread mount and a QD mount suppressor is like comparing a beer to liquor.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Great suppressor but honestly if you have the cash i recommend upgrading to the Trek-T, the weight difference is noticeable.
View Quote

The low cost or the special price of the regular Trek is what caught my attention. Its the low cost that is allowing me to justify buying another 223 suppressor that will be mounted to basically one rifle. I can live with the extra weight of the regular Trek for what this will be used for. But thank you for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you missed the point of my OP. This is not my first can. I have a few already and all but my .22 are QD and mount to at least two different rifles each. One can is even meant to be used on 5 different rifles. The purpose of me getting the Trek was a dedicated can for use on one rifle. I have no interest in spending a few hundred dollars for mounts for this can.

What other thread mount suppressor would you suggest that is in the same size, performance, and close to the same cost?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think you missed the point of my OP. This is not my first can. I have a few already and all but my .22 are QD and mount to at least two different rifles each. One can is even meant to be used on 5 different rifles. The purpose of me getting the Trek was a dedicated can for use on one rifle. I have no interest in spending a few hundred dollars for mounts for this can.

What other thread mount suppressor would you suggest that is in the same size, performance, and close to the same cost?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@ $295, there isn't anything else that compares IMO.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
To the OP - another thing to think about is the total cost. A lot of folks forget that a good online price will go up with shipping & LGS fees.

The $295.00 Trek is $315.00 with shipping, and then your LGS adds its fees - locally that's $50.00, so we are up to $365.00.  If the $400 trek is in stock at your LGS, you'll save two months of waiting on the Form 3 by paying $35.00 more.

While I have a 7.62 Specwar as my QD, multi gun suppressor, the plan on the Trek is to be a dedicated can on my daughters AR. It fits that role very well.

Bob S.
View Quote

Thank you for pointing this out. Already being taken into account. Looks like my total cost before the stamp and gas/time will be $350. I can not find a local dealer with a Trek for anything near that price.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I also have a Trek-T and will second this.  Awesome can and super light.  Just depends on what you are looking for.  I've got mine on a 10.5" and the combo makes a light and handy rifle.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thank you for pointing this out. Already being taken into account. Looks like my total cost before the stamp and gas/time will be $350. I can not find a local dealer with a Trek for anything near that price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bob S.

Why not just form1 a can for $350+/- including stamp? Save you time and money.. Could eaisly build one compariable to suppression and weight of the Trek.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why not just form1 a can for $350+/- including stamp? Save you time and money.. Could eaisly build one compariable to suppression and weight of the Trek.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bob S.

Because I really do not have the time to Form 1 a suppressor. I do not have the time while at home to sit and build one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Also, dont forget that your local shop will charge you tax.  Thats 20 more bucks on a 400 dollar can in VA.   Not really a big deal, but when youre talking about these blowout deals, its something else to think about.  

The Trek itself is a pretty neat can.   Its just an non-QD Gemtech G5, which was actually a very tough can for the time it was made.   Not as tough or as quiet as the Specwar, Saker, etc... but Ive found that its every bit as quiet, or more quiet, than the Socom SF cans.   Basically, the Trek has "average" suppression (which for a 5.56 can means youve reached the point of diminishing returns) and average durability.   AAC did a controversial "hit" video on the G5 years ago, but they appear to be the only people who have ever blown up a G5.  The Trek, like the G5, can take significant abuse.   Maybe not Surefire or Saker/Specwar abuse, but three or four auto mag dumps back to back wont hurt it.  

For 295, its a steal.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#27]
X
Quoted:
I bought my Trek from Phoenix Dist. from their gunbroker listing in Mar. - about 8 weeks later I got the e-mail it was shipped to my LGS.

As advertised, it's a NIB Gemteck Trek. My Form 4 has already been sent in, the wait starts again...

For the price, it's a great deal.

Bob S.
View Quote

Form 3 mailed Apr 7
Form 3 approved May 17
Shipped Dealer to May 28
Form 4 mailed today
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I wish i would have seen these threads before I paid retail for mine at $529.....but I like it and its perm attached to a 11.5" upper to make 1 stamp gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top