Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 102
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

On a 16" barrel, it won't beat the baffles too much, according to most. My gripe with the Vortex is the tuning-fork ringing.
View Quote
Yeah it's hard not to laugh when you hear it ringing inside the can.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:02:38 AM EDT
[#2]

On a 16" barrel, it won't beat the baffles too much, according to most. My gripe with the Vortex is the tuning-fork ringing.
View Quote
Once you hear the tuning fork, you cannot unhear the tuning fork. It was awful, and it ruined shooting for me until I took it off.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:23:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I actually don't mind it all that much, considering that I bought the flash hider for it's performance.   It does hide flash very, very well.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By boltcatch:
I actually don't mind it all that much, considering that I bought the flash hider for it's performance.   It does hide flash very, very well.
View Quote

So do Allen Engineering suppressors
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:47:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Temper] [#5]
I figure there's no better place to ask but here. I came across Lilja 18" middy for cheap and I figure instead of building a Mk12 Mod1 like I originally intended, I have the barrel cut to 17" and put on my brake and collar on that and rock a RECCE style build. Now here's the question. I already have the brake and long collar for the mk12, can I use that same collar on the lilja? It appears to be govt profile, maybe a tad heavier underneath the handguards.

Edit: Solved. You can with no issues.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#6]
AEM5 back in Nam
#Namselfies

Huffing gas by K P, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:03:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AZMAN42] [#7]
Sorry if this has been asked or is a stupid question. I have an AEM5 in jail at the moment, I was originally planning on doing a MODH build... but since I have had time to think while waiting for my can, I have thought about something else. This leads to my question... Has anyone ran their AEM5 under a rail? Not a PRI rail I have seen that before, Im talking a URX4 or the TROY MLOK rails it wold be a tight fit but based on OD and ID measurements it should be possible. I mocked this one up, (its not 100% to scale) but curious to see if any one has done it? Ill be running it on a 16" BA barrel. Pictured below is my photoshop mashup with the TROY 15" Rail.

Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AZMAN42:
Sorry if this has been asked or is a stupid question. I have an AEM5 in jail at the moment, I was originally planning on doing a MODH build... but since I have had time to think while waiting for my can, I have thought about something else. This leads to my question... Has anyone ran their AEM5 under a rail? Not a PRI rail I have seen that before, Im talking a URX4 or the TROY MLOK rails it wold be a tight fit but based on OD and ID measurements it should be possible. I mocked this one up, (its not 100% to scale) but curious to see if any one has done it? Ill be running it on a 16" BA barrel. Pictured below is my photoshop mashup with the TROY 15" Rail.

http://i.imgur.com/8UzhKdS.png
View Quote
I vote aero precision over troy
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I run my Ops Inc can under a URX4 (well, just a little bit). I have it on a 12" barrel with a 10" URX4 - original keymod style.

Works fine. End gets a little hot after a while though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Pics?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to finally get a host for the AEM5. Kept thinking I would pay $1400 for a PRI mod 0 upper on sale but cant yet get myself to for just an upper as I wouldn't be doing a true clone anyways.

I have seen a few 16" AEM5 hosts that aren't clones. Anyone have photos of 18" non clone hosts? Was planning WOA or BA with 15" rail.

Also, anyone you would recommend to assemble the upper (I have done some in past) with the correct collar and mount or is it easily done by end user as long as profile is correct with corresponding mount?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By WillysJeep:
I'd like to finally get a host for the AEM5. Kept thinking I would pay $1400 for a PRI mod 0 upper on sale but cant yet get myself to for just an upper as I wouldn't be doing a true clone anyways.

I have seen a few 16" AEM5 hosts that aren't clones. Anyone have photos of 18" non clone hosts? Was planning WOA or BA with 15" rail.

Also, anyone you would recommend to assemble the upper (I have done some in past) with the correct collar and mount or is it easily done by end user as long as profile is correct with corresponding mount?
View Quote
I'll be changing out m larue 12" with a gieselle mk4 15", should be just enough room for the can. I'll get some pics of it once its done. Installation is pretty straight forward with a properly contoured barrel.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:56:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpyHawk] [#13]
Originally Posted By AZMAN42:
Pics?
View Quote
Not a great picture, and it's not configured like this any more, but it's the same barrel, can, and handguard.

The can is basically almost a whole keymod slot into the handguard.

Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#14]
awesome!! thank you

Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

Not a great picture, and it's not configured like this any more, but it's the same barrel, can, and handguard.

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah276/mig1nc/IMAG0404_zpsbcr7vsjw.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Geissele mk4 and the 18" barrel gives just enough room for the collar.

Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#16]
That looks great. Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I just bought a AEM5 yesturday on a form 4 trust to replace my YHM can on my MK-12.

When I get my mounts I will post some pics from my first congeal visit

until then...

Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:24:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:
Well I just bought a AEM5 yesturday on a form 4 trust to replace my YHM can on my MK-12.

until then...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20856/IMG-1174-194604.jpg
View Quote
Long time in the making. 
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:51:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#19]
Long time in the making. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

until then...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20856/IMG-1174-194604.jpg
Long time in the making. 
Yea I bought that upper in 2003 and took it to Afghanistan in 2007-2008.

Had the YHM suppressor on my LMT 308, so being a cheapskate I got a YHM 556 mount for my SPR.

I sold the LMT and got a SR-25 and SF suppressor.

After retirement I thought it was time to get the correct suppressor, it still won't be clone correct because I hate ARMS rings.

It has went though many changes in the last 14 yrs.

When I first bought it

2008 (Cop Hutal I think)
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Sorry for the thread hijack but which companies produce barrels that accept the collar straight from the factory?

I ask because I have an AEM5 in Purgatory and I have a BHW spr contour barrel but it looks like the collar step is closer to the gas block than the drawings show.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:50:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By dmac7979:
Sorry for the thread hijack but which companies produce barrels that accept the collar straight from the factory?

I ask because I have an AEM5 in Purgatory and I have a BHW spr contour barrel but it looks like the collar step is closer to the gas block than the drawings show.
View Quote
I know my Compass lake Douglas barrel will work, Allen ENG can make custom sizes as well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:35:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Ballistic Advantage does as well, if you don't want to break the bank. They come with an accuracy guarantee.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Ballistic Advantage does as well, if you don't want to break the bank. They come with an accuracy guarantee.
View Quote
DSG arms too
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By dmac7979:

View Quote
There is a good list about half way down the first page of this thread. Has both 16 and 18" barrels with correct contour.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:06:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: k31user] [#25]
.725 to a point 2.4" back from the bare muzzle, then .749 to the gas block. Short collar with PRI flip up front sight, long collar without.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By k31user:
.725 to a point 2.4" back from the bare muzzle, then .749 to the gas block. Short collar with PRI flip up front sight, long collar without.
View Quote
Thanks, looks like my BHW barrel is .725 to a point 3.375 from the bare muzzle. Time to go barrel shopping.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Centurion Arms, HCS.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#28]

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah276/mig1nc/IMAG0404_zpsbcr7vsjw.jpg
View Quote
C'mon man, i need complete specs on this rifle!  Exact handguard, suppressor, barrel, how it attaches to the barrel( brake, m4 collar?)  I would build this for a trunk gun in a minute
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 7:15:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpyHawk] [#29]
Originally Posted By deuc224:

C'mon man, i need complete specs on this rifle!  Exact handguard, suppressor, barrel, how it attaches to the barrel( brake, m4 collar?)  I would build this for a trunk gun in a minute
View Quote
:) OK. This is an amazing shooter. The best SBR AR I've shot. The stroke is super smooth and there's no gas face at all. Zero.

Knight's Armament URX4 Keymod 10" - I built this before the 10.75" was available, and before M-Lok was available.
Ops Inc. 15th Model MBS (like an AEM3 but slightly lighter, I think maybe due to the holes in the baffles).
Ballistic Advantage 12" carbine length barrel (no longer in the catalog, but the 11.5" and 12.5" are also available with the MBS profile).
Ops Inc. muzzle brake mount.
Ops Inc. standard MBS M4 collar.
VLTOR A5 RE with springco green spring and A5H2 buffer.
BCM Gunfighter charging handle.
AAC Improved Bolt Carrier Group (suppressor optimized cam path)
Also critical to the build is the MicroMOA Govnah. Mine only has two positions. 5.56 full power unsuppressed and suppressed. Sometimes really weak ammo like PMC bronze or Silver bear will short stroke.
And of course the Noveske SBR lower.

My future plans, if I don't do something drastic like get an MCX conversion kit when they come out, and the Allen Engineering Sig Collar, is to get a 12.5" midlength with micro gas block and short collar.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
DSG arms too
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
DSG arms too
Same barrel, just DSG branded
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#31]

:) OK. This is an amazing shooter. The best SBR AR I've shot. The stroke is super smooth and there's no gas face at all. Zero.

Knight's Armament URX4 Keymod 10" - I built this before the 10.75" was available, and before M-Lok was available.
Ops Inc. 15th Model MBS (like an AEM3 but slightly lighter, I think maybe due to the holes in the baffles).
Ballistic Advantage 12" carbine length barrel (no longer in the catalog, but the 11.5" and 12.5" are also available with the MBS profile).
Ops Inc. muzzle brake mount.
Ops Inc. standard MBS M4 collar.
VLTOR A5 RE with springco green spring and A5H2 buffer.
BCM Gunfighter charging handle.
AAC Improved Bolt Carrier Group (suppressor optimized cam path)
Also critical to the build is the MicroMOA Govnah. Mine only has two positions. 5.56 full power unsuppressed and suppressed. Sometimes really weak ammo like PMC bronze or Silver bear will short stroke.
And of course the Noveske SBR lower.

My future plans, if I don't do something drastic like get an MCX conversion kit when they come out, and the Allen Engineering Sig Collar, is to get a 12.5" midlength with micro gas block and short collar.
View Quote
Thanks Spyhawk, i would jump on this but the govnah is next to impossible to get at the moment

Regarding the MCX, im planning on getting one in the future.  I bought a 6.75 inch barrel by accident so i just kept it and plan on making a black mamba out of it soon.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:52:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mms2] [#32]
are Ballistic Advantage  Gov barrels to spec for aem 2,3,4 set ups?
they look like they should be from the website the 12.5 seems perfect for the them.

several posts about BA and aem5 for spr barrel but nothing about the m4 profile barrels since was looking at the other cans..
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By mms2:
they look like they should be from the website the 12.5 seems perfect for the them.

several posts about BA and aem5 for spr barrel but nothing about the m4 profile barrels since was looking at the other cans..
View Quote
Yep. Mine works great.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#34]
awesome thanks
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By mms2:

View Quote
Good to go.

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#36]
With the new Dead Air can coming out, I'm starting to wonder something:

I've seen DB numbers of about -40db reduction for the AEM2, but is that number confirmed?  If so, the AEM's are still among the quietest suppressors around.  I'm not all about chasing numbers, but since this is going to be set up as an HD gun, I want to minimize the risk of hurting my kids' ears if I ever have to use it in the house.  I've been almost dead set on the AEM2 for a while, but want to be sure.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#37]
40db on an AEM2? Nope.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By k31user:
40db on an AEM2? Nope.
View Quote
Right, that's what I was thinking as well, but I'm pretty sure that's what I've read before in this thread.  Is 25-30 a more realistic number?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone know if the collar adapter extender will work on a 10.5 with fsb?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By AR_DIESEL:
Anyone know if the collar adapter extender will work on a 10.5 with fsb?
View Quote
For the AEM2/3/4, it may work, but you might have to shave some off of the bayo lug.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By JAR-SPR:

For the AEM2/3/4, it may work, but you might have to shave some off of the bayo lug.
View Quote
I should've clarified, I have the aem2. I'm cool with shaving the bayo lug. Thanks for the reply.

Anyone out there know for certain?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:41:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JAR-SPR] [#42]
I should've clarified, I have the aem2. I'm cool with shaving the bayo lug. Thanks for the reply.

View All Quotes

The barrel extension was originally intended for 11.5" Colt barrels running AEM2/3/4s. If you are okay with shaving the bayo lug, then it should work for an AEM2.

ETA: https://adcofirearms.com/shop/categories/silencers/collar-adapter-extender/

Put this on the barrel, and then a standard AE brake or flash hider. GTG.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#43]

The barrel extension was originally intended for 11.5" Colt barrels running AEM2/3/4s. If you are okay with shaving the bayo lug, then it should work for an AEM2.

ETA: https://adcofirearms.com/shop/categories/silencers/collar-adapter-extender/

Put this on the barrel, and then a standard AE brake or flash hider. GTG.
View Quote
That's what I'm looking at. Waiting for it to be in stock. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:21:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMPRacing] [#44]
I went for a visit on Saturday and checked the fit. Got 7 turns out of it with the short collar. It blew having to take it off and leave it behind! LOL November maybe?

Brad

Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:06:18 AM EDT
[#45]

Had the YHM suppressor on my LMT 308, so being a cheapskate I got a YHM 556 mount for my SPR.

After retirement I thought it was time to get the correct suppressor, it still won't be clone correct because I hate ARMS rings.

When I first bought it

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/1822696/40107998.jpg

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/1822696/36885802.jpg

2008 (Cop Hutal I think)
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL965/4056977/12946540/313666290.jpg
View Quote
You may be bad but have you served in Afghan with your own upper and patrolled in a Humvee mounting a Dshk like this Ranger? Lol.

Thanks for your service and the pictures. Can you elaborate on why you have a dislike for the ARMS rings? I have zero experience with them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By TennesseeRat:
You may be bad but have you served in Afghan with your own upper and patrolled in a Humvee mounting a Dshk like this Ranger? Lol.

Thanks for your service and the pictures. Can you elaborate on why you have a dislike for the ARMS rings? I have zero experience with them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TennesseeRat:

When I first bought it

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/1822696/40107998.jpg

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/1822696/36885802.jpg

2008 (Cop Hutal I think)
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL965/4056977/12946540/313666290.jpg

Thanks
 I had one get snagged on some gear and came unlocked, It didn't affect my zero etc but I just prefer bolt on rings.

Its just my preference.

I have to Admit the HMMWV belonged to the Romanians and this leads to another story.

Just before that deployment I went to Ranger school(RC 06-07) and there was a Romanian officer that was in our class.

The TC of that truck recognized my name as the Romanian Officer(his former commander) told him about me

The Romanian guy was a very confident leader and spoke about 4 different languages and spoke English really well.

Another funny tidbit is him and I failed the Darby phase together
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Has anyone taken a 5.56 or 5.45 AK and had the barrel profiled to run an AE/Ops can?

Attachment Attached File

I have an AEM5 in jail now, and I was thinking it could be cool to run a setup like that.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By A_Friendly_Manatee:
Has anyone taken a 5.56 or 5.45 AK and had the barrel profiled to run an AE/Ops can?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/438110/IMG-2904-249720.JPG

I have an AEM5 in jail now, and I was thinking it could be cool to run a setup like that.
View Quote
I had one of those.  There isn't a whole lot of meat on that barrel, you would probably need to have some sort of custom sleeve made.
Not to mention that the bore might not be concentric to the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Ron,
Any timeframe on when you'll be sending ADCO more collar adapter extenders? I have a 10.5" barrel with a fsb so I need one!
Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top