User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not exactly.    

Its perfectly reasonable to want to know how a can compares to whats already on the market.  After all, how else would a layman compare sound?  

SS's db numbers are hardly believable, as they are never consistent.  They tested the Omega 3 times before they got some numbers their customers wouldnt flip their shit over.  Guys in this thread are quoting Octane numbers that are comparable to TiRant numbers (LOL!).  One guy admits all he has are Ospreys, and swears they are the best.  Some folks are just prone to cognitive disonance when it comes to the suppressors they have.  Frankly, it blows my mind that anyone who has heard the big name cans side by side believes the Octane is comparable to the Osprey and Tirant in a pure db comparison.  And maybe thats why these arguments still come up -- because so many folks havent compared them anywhere but youtube.  

Thats why this is important.  If someone tells me the Ryder 9 is louder than the TiRant 9 but quieter than the Octane, Ill buy 2, because 1.25 cans are awesome.  

The measuring stick is just as important as the results in any subjective review.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about we keep this on topic for the Ryder can.

LOL, they just cant resist.  Never mind that there are half a dozen threads at any one time for them to talk about their favorite brand.
Not exactly.    

Its perfectly reasonable to want to know how a can compares to whats already on the market.  After all, how else would a layman compare sound?  

SS's db numbers are hardly believable, as they are never consistent.  They tested the Omega 3 times before they got some numbers their customers wouldnt flip their shit over.  Guys in this thread are quoting Octane numbers that are comparable to TiRant numbers (LOL!).  One guy admits all he has are Ospreys, and swears they are the best.  Some folks are just prone to cognitive disonance when it comes to the suppressors they have.  Frankly, it blows my mind that anyone who has heard the big name cans side by side believes the Octane is comparable to the Osprey and Tirant in a pure db comparison.  And maybe thats why these arguments still come up -- because so many folks havent compared them anywhere but youtube.  

Thats why this is important.  If someone tells me the Ryder 9 is louder than the TiRant 9 but quieter than the Octane, Ill buy 2, because 1.25 cans are awesome.  

The measuring stick is just as important as the results in any subjective review.

I'm truly not being pedantic here, can you help me understand why 1.25 is so desireable?  .05" diameter translates to .025" noticeable difference from a sight height point of view, that just doesn't seem like much. Is there something else I'm missing?  Also what part of the Ryder is 1.25"?  The middle or the ends?  The flared ends (for the threads I would guess) are more pronounced than my Tirants looking at pictures, so if the can is 1.25" in the middle it seems like this would further negate that.

I'm not being negative, just don't seem to see the big deal so I feel I'm missing something.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 7:19:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not exactly.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, they just cant resist.  Never mind that there are half a dozen threads at any one time for them to talk about their favorite brand.
Not exactly.    

we're on the same page, side by side comparisons by people who own both are the only thing i pay attention to.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm truly not being pedantic here, can you help me understand why 1.25 is so desireable?  .05" diameter translates to .025" noticeable difference from a sight height point of view, that just doesn't seem like much. Is there something else I'm missing?  Also what part of the Ryder is 1.25"?  The middle or the ends?  The flared ends (for the threads I would guess) are more pronounced than my Tirants looking at pictures, so if the can is 1.25" in the middle it seems like this would further negate that.

I'm not being negative, just don't seem to see the big deal so I feel I'm missing something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not exactly.    

Well, to the Ryder specifically, I have no idea how they measured the dimensions, since no one has gotten their hands on one yet.. As far as 1.25 inch cans in general, the numbers are deceiving.  While the O.D. difference is only an eigth of an inch, it gives a significant difference in the feel of the can.   The difference in height at the front sight is just over .060, which IMHO is significant.  They fit under handguards better (so you dont have to use the gigantic Spikes/Seekins rails or the YHM rails) and they handle better.  Whenever you have more of the weight of the can closer to the centerline of the bore, the pistol transitions from target to target easier, for me at least.

I had not thought about diameter in a long time until I picked up one of the 300 dollar Evos last year.  It reminded me about how much I enjoyed the thin cans.  Again, its not night and day, but I personally consider the difference significant.  If Surefire has truly managed to make a few quiet cans this year (time will tell), they can count me in for one.  Or two.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#4]
As far as i understand it, silencer co and aac have pulse systems.  Knights armament probably would also then.

The presense of the equipment doesnt neccessarilly mean that results cant be manipulated or intentionally missrepresented.  Kudus numbers come with some background information which is a lot more than happens in a lot of cases in this industry.  Im not referring to them so much as to the flawed concept that the ownership of equipment "certifies" the data.

At times ive seen ear data from bolt guns used as if (with the understanding most will read it as if) it was 1m data, data sampled from behind the muzzle of the can, or in some cases i believe the numbers are completely generated by marketing people who completely discard the real data.  A whole pile of $50,000 pulse systems cant prevent missrepresentation if deception is intentionally involved.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Can anyone shed some light on the move to 1.25" cans by SF and AAC when previously the 1.38" cans were thought to be superior?   Better visibility of the sights can't be the only reason.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can anyone shed some light on the move to 1.25" cans by SF and AAC when previously the 1.38" cans were thought to be superior?   Better visibility of the sights can't be the only reason.
View Quote

There are a couple obvious things that happen when tube diameters drop.  Cost of parts and machining time is reduced, sights become .0625" less obscured, weight decreases, and internal volume is reduced.  

Three of those factors are positive.  Surefire might have desired the product differentiation.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Meter data all look pretty close.  Key Ryder discriminator, IMO, is the 1.25 OD.

Per Kudo22:
RYDER 9 Ti-G17-147XTP
ERP 125.20 dB (ear reference position)
1MRM 127.88 dB (right)
1MLM 128.38 dB (left)

RYDER 9 Ti-G17-Fed 124 FMJ AMERICAN EAGLE
ERP 131.15 dB
1MRM 134.87 dB
1MLM 134.57 dB

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-q4fpYIEIWrM/VUq8EeYLyHI/AAAAAAAAi4E/pJZagU12tgE/s640/upload_-1.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WPotPx91AdU/VUq8OjEqAdI/AAAAAAAAi4M/PIPXWsjmU2s/s640/upload_-1.jpg
View Quote

That video is of the octane 9 hd (a very limited run swr patent baffle can which had a non shielded tube and ported tuned coaxial spacer baffle like the former swr trident 9- differing in that the baffle was optimized in less voluminous 17-4 stainless tool steel.) Allowing more air volume and increased performance.

Very rapidly the octane 9hd was replaced by the hd2 which deleted the patented baffle in favor of a design trading the ported tuned coaxial spacer for a more std frustoconical baffle like those used in HEL (Human Engineering Laboratories) suppressors in vietnam.

I never saw Henry test the hd2.   I think it probably underperformed the previous model but the shielded core was seen as more desirable for marketability than the lost performance.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I was told my Ryder 9 will be at my dealer in about two weeks.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am envious my friend.  Do you have any other 9mm cans to compare it to?
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 9 and 45 Octane as well.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Well once your long wait is finally over be sure to let us know how they compare.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:48:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Not mine but I was able to shoot a pre production model.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I ordered mine from you guys a little while ago, hopefully I get a serial number soon. And also to follow up with my email to you, I would like to request you make a 13.5x1 LH direct thread option for the MPX. I think they will be as popular if not more so than the CZ Scorpions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We are taking orders on them now. We are starting to machine the Ti tubes and then the serial numbers will be allocated to the pending orders. The tubes are the last pieces to be made other than waiting for the holsters from First Spear to come in.

I ordered mine from you guys a little while ago, hopefully I get a serial number soon. And also to follow up with my email to you, I would like to request you make a 13.5x1 LH direct thread option for the MPX. I think they will be as popular if not more so than the CZ Scorpions.
I second the motion for an MPX 13.5x1 LH direct thread option.  I ordered my Ryder 9 on 4/20 and I'm thinking about picking up an MPX tomorrow!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top