Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's my thought.  It'll pretty much live on the 77/357 after I get it SBR'd.  Then when I can afford a Ron Williams .357 mag  10.5" AR upper it'll swap between them.  I have a strange love of .357

Will probably go with an 11" bbl so the end of the trilug is even with the end of the stock.  No worries about damaging the wood that way.  That or I'll just open the inlet a touch more and embed a sacrificial thin section of steel to protect the wood.  Donno yet.  Figure I have a good while to think about it before I'll have the money anyhow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Won't be as quiet (but probably a minimal difference IMO) but wouldn't have any pressure issues.

As quiet as what?

http://rs215.pbsrc.com/albums/cc280/bleurgh_bucket/facepalm.jpg~c200

It's been one of those days.  

Anyhow, it probably won't be as quiet as a 9mm can because of more gas passing through the baffles, but it would get restricted by the end cap.  So I can't imagine it would be a huge noise difference.  Out of curiosity, I wonder if anyone has tested that with a db meter.

Personally I'm looking at multi caliber cans myself, but am strongly leaning towards the Mystic-X since odds are I'm not going to have anything in  larger than a .357 bullet for a while, but it'll take 9mm, 223, etc.

Hard to beat the Mystic for a carbine can, that's a fact.

That's my thought.  It'll pretty much live on the 77/357 after I get it SBR'd.  Then when I can afford a Ron Williams .357 mag  10.5" AR upper it'll swap between them.  I have a strange love of .357

Will probably go with an 11" bbl so the end of the trilug is even with the end of the stock.  No worries about damaging the wood that way.  That or I'll just open the inlet a touch more and embed a sacrificial thin section of steel to protect the wood.  Donno yet.  Figure I have a good while to think about it before I'll have the money anyhow.

I also have a fondness for 38/357. I have 3 carbine hosts.
Btw, Rocky mountain reloading has .358 Speer 180 gr and 250gr jacketed
Flat point hot core 2nds in stock right now. Perfect for 357 carbines.
15% off use coupon code "hunting2016"
They are hard to find at reasonable prices.
Stack em deep if you can.
http://rmrbullets.com/product-category/bullets-for-reloading/358-9-1mm/
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I just had to look at that link.  No available funds right now.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Last night I was watching the FX show Atlanta.  In Episode 3 a drug dealer kidnaps a man and then releases him in the woods, only to shoot him while he runs away.  I am fairly certain the dealer was using a stainless/nutmeg 77/357.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:...
View Quote

Oooooh, my 35 REM Contender and 77/357 thank you for that. Order in!
Once my Hybrid stamp gets in...... super loads with 180s and sub loads with 250s for both.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:27:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Once my Hybrid stamp gets in...... super loads with 180s and sub loads with 250s for both.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/Handguns/35rem-TC_zpssxyj7css.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/Handguns/35rem-TC_zpssxyj7css.jpg

Any thoughts on load data for the 250gr subs?
So far, 245gr cast is the heaviest I've loaded in the Rooga.
It ran 1070fps in the 18" bbl over 8.5gr lil gun in 38spl brass.
I'm not sure the 250gr Speer can be loaded short enough to feed
From the mag.

I just ordered another 500 of the 200gr TMJ .358 speer.
Under 15 cents each, hard to say no.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Any thoughts on load data for the 250gr subs?
So far, 245gr cast is the heaviest I've loaded in the Rooga.
It ran 1070fps in the 18" bbl over 8.5gr lil gun in 38spl brass.
I'm not sure the 250gr Speer can be loaded short enough to feed
From the mag.
View Quote

I am at 7.7gr Lil'gun in 38SPL brass for 1040fps from my 16" 77/357 with 245gr PCCB.
Probably be pretty close to that for me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Great article
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like $690-730 is the running right now, but I'd say we're under 1/2 of the guys that had them in stock this time last week.

https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/77%252F357
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully they release them again with threaded barrels or at least release a Ruger American version in 357 and 44.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ruger American version in 357 and 44.
View Quote

That's more my price bracket!
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Great job Pete!
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Great job Pete!
View All Quotes

Thank you (and everyone) for the pics!
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Another great article.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ruger American version in 357 and 44.

Oh yeah this would be very nice...
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Excellent work!
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Excellent work!
View All Quotes

+1

This thread inspired me to buy my Ruger and Liberty Cosmic. Hopefully your article hips more people to them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:24:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Picked mine up tonight.  Everything looks good so far, but one of the action screws are ungodly tight, so I can't take the action out of the stock.  I actually chipped off the head of a screwdriver trying to get it free.  Will be taking by a smith tomorrow to get it loose.

Beyond that, I'm happy as hell.  Mag cycled snap ca[s without issue and was easy to load as well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Picked mine up tonight.  Everything looks good so far, but one of the action screws are ungodly tight, so I can't take the action out of the stock.  I actually chipped off the head of a screwdriver trying to get it free.  Will be taking by a smith tomorrow to get it loose.

Beyond that, I'm happy as hell.  Mag cycled snap ca[s without issue and was easy to load as well.
View Quote

Awesome. Finally in the club.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats! Its a very fun carbine.
Just go ahead and order the Volquartsen sear!
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#21]
What are you guys getting for accuracy without the cans?
I bought a used (looked almost new) one at a local shop and was seriously suprised at the poor accuracy . I used all the usual tricks , tried various weight bullets both lead and jacketed.
Reloads and factory with everything from target 38 to full house 357 . Cleaned very well and looked hard at chamber , throat , bore and crown .

Best it shot off a solid rest with a good scope was about 5" at 50yds . Trigger sucked but taking my time on the rest should have covered most of that .

I finally threw my hands in the air and sold it off . I suppose I could have returned it to Ruger but I didn't have the patience and the couple of times in the past I did that they didn't help me a bit . Stainless Ranch rifle and 9mm police carbine. All these guns couldn't hit shit but Ruger claimed they met factory specs.

I have had some guys claim Ruger barrels are a crap shoot , some are great , most ok but some are real stinkers.

At any rate I would be interested to see what folks are getting for sccuracy?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bought a used (looked almost new) one at a local shop and was seriously suprised at the poor accuracy . I used all the usual tricks , tried various weight bullets both lead and jacketed.
Reloads and factory with everything from target 38 to full house 357 . Cleaned very well and looked hard at chamber , throat , bore and crown .

Best it shot off a solid rest with a good scope was about 5" at 50yds . Trigger sucked but taking my time on the rest should have covered most of that .

I finally threw my hands in the air and sold it off . I suppose I could have returned it to Ruger but I didn't have the patience and the couple of times in the past I did that they didn't help me a bit . Stainless Ranch rifle and 9mm police carbine. All these guns couldn't hit shit but Ruger claimed they met factory specs.

I have had some guys claim Ruger barrels are a crap shoot , some are great , most ok but some are real stinkers.

View Quote

Yeah, something was wrong there. I can hold less than an inch at 50 yards.

How was the crown?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sear is getting ordered today. Figure I had to email them yesterday about shipping to AK but got an answer back this morning already. It's not even 8 am yet.

Edit:  Ordered a bit ago, so they'll hopefully be on my bed when I get back from my trip.  Got the sear and 77/22 extended mag release that *should* fit.  Worst case, it's not like a good friend of mine doesn't own a machine shop if I need to do any fitting.  

Mags, replacement front sight, and skinner peep rear will be on order around the 10th of October as well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How was the crown?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought a used (looked almost new) one at a local shop and was seriously surprised at the poor accuracy . I used all the usual tricks , tried various weight bullets both lead and jacketed.

How was the crown?

I don't have a borescope but I did the eye spy thing with a magnifying glass and a strong light and it looked pretty good ?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:00:06 AM EDT
[#25]
My guess would be stock torque. A few in-lbs over could wreck accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:47:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Volquartsen seat and mag release should be here Saturday. I get home from my trip Friday night. So if I can install them Saturday, I'll have a range report Sunday.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I know I asked this earlier, but I feel like there has been enough time for people with 44's to chime in. Waiting on an obsidian and with ruger's recent decision I feel like it's now or never. Would a 44 or a 357 be a better host, assuming both shooting 38/44 special subs?
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#28]
IMO I'd go with the .38/357.  .38 is more common than .44 special in my experience.  The big deciding factor would be if you are going to handload though.  You can do some hellishly heavy .44 loads that .357 can't match.  Otherwise, round for round, I'd go with the 77/357 if you can find one.

Edit:  Some quick price searching

Cheapest I'm seeing on the 357 is ~$650+ shipping
https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/7405

$520-675 on the 44
https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/77%252F44
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
IMO I'd go with the .38/357.  .38 is more common than .44 special in my experience.  The big deciding factor would be if you are going to handload though.  You can do some hellishly heavy .44 loads that .357 can't match.  Otherwise, round for round, I'd go with the 77/357 if you can find one.

$520-675 on the 44
View Quote

I don't load for either, but could easily start

Edit: I see what you meant, 38 special is waay easier to find
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$520-675 on the 44

I bought the .44, because I wanted to throw the biggest chunk of lead possible. I'm kinda wishing that I had gone with the .357 now. The price of factory ammo is ridiculous, compared to .38spl. You are also limited to about 300gr max on the .44, whereas people are loading 240+ in the .357s. That kinda evens the playing field in my opinion. Either way, they are fun guns and you can't really go wrong.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Heads up, Vizards has mags for $23 and change with $14 flat rate shipping.  Cheapest I can find online, and considering that the mags might not be made anymore, I'm grabbing a few.  4x is ~110 shipped.  Granted, if you got more it would be the same so long as it's from the same warehouse.

http://vizardsgunsandammo.com/ruger-90345-77-357-357-remington-magnum-5-rd-black-finish/

Edit: just got an email saying my order is cancelled because shipping to AK and Hawaii is $35
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#32]
So I'm making a thread in the Ruger subforum, but I'm cross posting this here as well since it's useful.  That said, I do not condone doing this if you don't know what you are doing, I claim no liability for you doing this should it go wrong, this is not legal advice, please consult a doctor if your erection lasts over four hours, and jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

======================================================================

How to install the Volquartsen 77/22 target sear and oversized magazine release (with pictures)  Images edited to show detail not usually visible to naked eye btw.

1: Remove both the action and trigger guard/action screws.  The front action screw may be in there like a bastard.  Mine took putting the rifle in a vise and soaking the screw in kroil to break it free.
2. Lift out the trigger guard assembly starting at the rear.  It should pivot inside the magazine well.
3. Magazine release removal and install is simple.  Using a screwdriver, punch, etc push out the pin at the base of the magazine release.  Push in on the front of the mechanism to take tension off the lever.  Pull it out, put in the new one and install pin.  Easy peasy.
4. Lift action out of the stock
5. Press out the pin at the middle of the trigger.  The sear spring should come out easily with it when you remove the trigger.
6. There is a second pin that retains the sear that has a captive spring.  You can press this out from the left side without losing the captive spring so long as you stop before the pin comes falls free of the receiver.
7.  Note sear orientation before removing.
8. Put new sear in the same way and push pin back in.
9.  This is the "fun" one.  You need to remove a thousandth or two from the top of the safety pawl so it'll engage.  With the new sear it is slightly too long, honestly I'm not sure why.  Note the pawl is beveled at both the front of the "v" and across the top as it rides up under the trigger.
10. Take off a little bit at a time with needle files, put everything together, insert bolt and try safety.  If it doesn't engage in all 3 positions because it gets stuck, keep going.  If it goes all the way through easily, you might have overdone it.
11. Reassemble rifle, safety check, and enjoy your new 2# trigger and easy mag release.  Btw you can get loaded mags in on a closed bolt a lot easier now.
12. Optional but I'm going to do it once my dremel is charged.  Polish safety pawl to remove any file marks to make it smoother.  Personally I'm going to use a low abrasive like Flitz so it doesn't take much (if any) material off, just smoothes the surface.  Needle files don't leave the best surface after all.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#33]
As a heads up, XS sights is discontinuing their sight sets for the 77/22/357/44 guns and is on "inventory only" till they sell out.  Personally I like the low profile skinner peep better because it sits in the sight dovetail, BUT XS makes a quality product.  It is a bit bulkier than the skinner set but damn near bombproof.

https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993594&CAT=9678

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#34]
bumping to keep out of archive.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Heads up, Vizards has mags for $23 and change with $14 flat rate shipping.  Cheapest I can find online, and considering that the mags might not be made anymore, I'm grabbing a few.  4x is ~110 shipped.  Granted, if you got more it would be the same so long as it's from the same warehouse.

http://vizardsgunsandammo.com/ruger-90345-77-357-357-remington-magnum-5-rd-black-finish/

Edit: just got an email saying my order is cancelled because shipping to AK and Hawaii is $35
View Quote

Thanks for the link!
For those of us who followed ARFcom rules and got both, the 77/44 mags are same price:
http://vizardsgunsandammo.com/ruger-90176-77-44-44-remington-magnum-4-rd-black-finish/
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#36]

2-1/2yr old Doe, 60yds, Right side hit, quartering away. entered right side mid ribcage, exited leftside front leg, dropped on the spot.
Flopped for 15 seconds while her lungs filled and then was still. Killed quicker than a .243 hit doe last year.

245gr SAECO 352 mold
7.7gr Lil'gun
38 SPL brass
Vortex 2-7 Crossfire BDC
SiCo Octane9
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/family/Manton/2016/2016-11-15/WP_20161120_08_28_54_Pro_zpsis0e8xef.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/family/Manton/2016/2016-11-15/WP_20161120_08_30_46_Pro_zpsudffvuio.jpg

2-1/2yr old Doe, 60yds, Right side hit, quartering away. entered right side mid ribcage, exited leftside front leg, dropped on the spot.
Flopped for 15 seconds while her lungs filled and then was still. Killed quicker than a .243 hit doe last year.

245gr SAECO 352 mold
7.7gr Lil'gun
38 SPL brass
Vortex 2-7 Crossfire BDC
SiCo Octane9
View Quote

Now we just need a dinner thread.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/family/Manton/2016/2016-11-15/WP_20161120_08_28_54_Pro_zpsis0e8xef.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/family/Manton/2016/2016-11-15/WP_20161120_08_30_46_Pro_zpsudffvuio.jpg

245gr SAECO 352 mold
7.7gr Lil'gun
38 SPL brass
Vortex 2-7 Crossfire BDC
SiCo Octane9

Well, lunch went something like this from my 8pt last year. 243 M77 kill with fried potatoes, onions, beer simmered heart pieces with a little ketchup of course.

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice, looks tasty.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 1:50:27 AM EDT
[#41]
So if I can get the money together I might submit my form 1 to SBR my rifle after Christmas. Apparently I'm staying with my folks for a while so it's a good enough time.

Where did you guys get the engraving done on the receiver?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Tigger and bolt shims installed in ~10 minutes.  0.003 for the bolt and a single 0.002 for the trigger side movement.  It's amazing how much two shims made in how the rifle feels. 
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
(Not a post about silencers but it's relevant to the thread)

I just installed a Volquartsen sear in my 77/44.   Holy shit what a nice trigger now.

It's light enough that I'm considering swapping back in the OEM spring to see if it might make it a tad heavier since I'm wearing gloves when I hunt sometimes.
View Quote

I hadn't thought about that.  If I had a trigger gauge I'd do it real quick to answer it for you.  Let me know how it turns out. 
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 5:56:19 AM EDT
[#46]
bump to keep out of archives, unless the 30 day rule changed.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone know whether these rifles are gonna come back to the production line? Has the RAR killed them? I'd love to have one.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anyone know whether these rifles are gonna come back to the production line? Has the RAR killed them? I'd love to have one.
View Quote

For the time being they are out of production with no word on if they are coming back.

The only people I can find that claim to have one in stock is these guys.  That said, I've never heard of them.  There are no 77/357's on gunbroker, or anywhere else I've looked though.  Hell, I'm taking my Christmas money and buying extra mags.

Link Posted: 12/27/2016 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Joining this club soon.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Joining this club soon.
View Quote

Honored. That's awesome.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top