BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a good alternative to buying a can as the turn around is fast on approval. Even though it's ugly you can just buy a silencer cover and no one will ever see it.
It will still come under 500 with the tax stamp.
Just got to watch the length and weight, don't need a 3 lb suppressor on the end of you host.

I'm in for later for better materials, don't want anything aluminum on/in the can and better baffles.
View Quote

You have me confused. Have you actually read any of the multiple threads? Not trying to be a smart ass but just asking.  The data points that you mention above, from my perspective, are way off track and have been addressed multiple times in these threads.

e.g. Total can weights are easily under 20oz, or less, with the right materials. My F1 can which is a big SS tube and almost all freeze plugs comes in at a little over 25oz...

Ti parts, to include tubes and end caps are currently available, effective Ti baffles are currently available, 3D printed Stainless baffles are available, the freeze  plugs are proving highly effective and durable.

Can you please describe what, in your opinion, are better materials than SS or Ti?

Edit: saw your post. Recommend that you re-read the threads. I think that there's some doable solutions that will meet your requirements.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Edit: saw your post. Recommend that you re-read the threads. I think that there's some doable solutions that will meet your requirements.
View Quote

Yeah, I seemed to have missed it..ahhh it took so long to go through the threads too and now I have to go through again. I was under impression SDTA was in process of making TI end caps and baffles.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yeah, I seemed to have missed it..ahhh it took so long to go through the threads too and now I have to go through again. I was under impression SDTA was in process of making TI end caps and baffles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SDTA has said they will eventually make Ti end caps, no ETA.

There's a waiting list for the SDTA Ti tubes if you call them; these will eventually get put on the website I imagine.

SDTA will not ever make baffles of any sort!  They may end up re-selling stainless freeze plugs if he can find a reliable source for them.

Ti tubes are ALSO available from Diversified Machine, details in C5's thread; these would have stainless end caps I think.

As for baffles:

C5's thread is mainly regarding the use of valve spring retainers as baffles.  There are several types listed in his thread, but I think he said the easiest/cheapest were 9930's from Crane Cams (I may have the part # wrong).

Esstac, PDM, & Grim have documented the builds using mainly freeze plugs in different spacing configurations.  The coned freeze plugs have turned out to be very durable when a brake is in front of them; I don't think anyone's used them with a direct thread can yet.

The Shapeways funnels and Steel or TI valve retainers will both be much more durable than freeze plugs.  However it may not really matter as the freeze plugs appear to be holding up quite well.  The freeze plugs & funnels should both out perform the valve retainers but none here have the equipment to test the results accurately.
Bottom line?  

There's PLENTY of information in these threads to build a Form1 can that equals most any commercial offering for a far less cost.  Info has been presented for Ti/stainless tubes, Ti/stainless end caps, and Ti/stainless baffles.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump /\
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top