Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 10/14/2014 4:09:06 PM EDT
Anyone ever put one of these together?   Prepper's discount

I'm looking at the heavy "D" cell version, the Mamba. Wondering if it'll handle 300 AAC super sonic pressures?

Yes will do the Form one and all. Just wondering if this thing will handle more than .22 LR pressures......
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#1]
unless youre trying to look like Rick from The Walking Dead i would save your money and get a real suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
unless youre trying to look like Rick from The Walking Dead i would save your money and get a real suppressor.
View Quote

Except you could form 1 that on a trust and have it back in 3 weeks and have your suppressor in hand two weeks later.  If you go to purchase one you are looking at 6 months to a year minimum.

ETA - OP look into a stainless tube for maglites.  I think that would be better at holding up to pressure.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Except you could form 1 that on a trust and have it back in 3 weeks and have your suppressor in hand two weeks later.  If you go to purchase one you are looking at 6 months to a year minimum.

ETA - OP look into a stainless tube for maglites.  I think that would be better at holding up to pressure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apogee products makes the tube you're talking about.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#4]
OK what is this.  I seem to be out if the loop.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#5]
A friend and I are putting them together, but we are using tubes that are made specifically for it, but nearly the same as a maglight THIS tube, and the other parts are on their side... We are going with the griffin brake mounted versions.

Hopefully we will have permission to start building in 3 weeks or so.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

OK what is this.  I seem to be out if the loop.
View Quote
Parts that may be used for Form 1 suppressor builds...

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A friend and I are putting them together, but we are using tubes that are made specifically for it, but nearly the same as a maglight THIS tube, and the other parts are on their side... We are going with the griffin brake mounted versions.

http://youtu.be/9SdwkVxX13E
View Quote

Do you know what diameter the c-cell tube is?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hilarious.  I won't say more
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By all means please explain.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, PVC melts at 175 F.  Recipe for problems....and electrical tape?  If you can't figure that out from watching the video.....I mean please
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, PVC melts at 175 F.  Recipe for problems....and electrical tape?  If you can't figure that out from watching the video.....I mean please
View Quote

I Did not actually watch the video

I assumed it was not the one where he uses PVC... the high-power video I think It's called.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:33:02 AM EDT
[#12]
They are also selling stainless and aluminum tubing to be used as spacer material.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:58:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll be doing one for shit's and grins. Maybe even a few. Hell, why not.  I'll definitely do one purpose built for my 6.5 grendel.  Make the most worthless baffle stack you can imagine and send it to stalking rhino or another SOT and have them re-core the thing properly. You'll still come in way under anything else on the market.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:14:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll be doing one for shit's and grins. Maybe even a few. Hell, why not.  I'll definitely do one purpose built for my 6.5 grendel.  Make the most worthless baffle stack you can imagine and send it to stalking rhino or another SOT and have them re-core the thing properly. You'll still come in way under anything else on the market.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:19:00 AM EDT
[#15]
They work well.  I saw a guy at the range with one.  Sounded pretty close to that of my AAC SPR/M4.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:01:59 AM EDT
[#16]
ARFCOM costs me more money every friggin day...
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They work well.  I saw a guy at the range with one.  Sounded pretty close to that of my AAC SPR/M4.
View Quote

Was he shooting 5.56? My concern was one the thing being able to handle the pressures of 5.56 or 300AAC supers. The web site says that the D-cell version with the stainless spacers can handle up to 300 WM.....

I'm going to build one for shits and giggles.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, he was shooting 5.56.  I have a D cell maglite and I can assure you it was not a C cell that he was using.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah you had me till he said PVC
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#20]
OK I see on there website they have stainless tubing for sale.  I wonder the total cost of something like this.  

This would be nice for a .300blk hunting rifle for this year as I wait on my Saker.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one I am building has no plastic....

parts list....

Tube

8 + extras of these

D Cell Stainless

For getting perfect center on baffles

Muzzle End Thread adaptor

Exit Hole end (want center spot marked)
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OK I see on there website they have stainless tubing for sale.  I wonder the total cost of something like this.  

This would be nice for a .300blk hunting rifle for this year as I wait on my Saker.
View Quote

$120 in components (I can get teh freeze plugs locally very cheap, + $200 tax stamp.  $320 total.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one I am building has no plastic....

parts list....

Tube

8 + extras of these

D Cell Stainless

For getting perfect center on baffles

Muzzle End Thread adaptor

Exit Hole end (want center spot marked)

Quoted:
Quoted:

$120 in components (I can get teh freeze plugs locally very cheap, + $200 tax stamp.  $320 total.

I just added a bunch of parts to the cart at SD Tactical and I'm at $150 with the Griffen MB adapter.  I think this will be a neat project.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#24]
My friend's form 1 should only be 1-2 weeks for this, mine wont be for atleast 3.  He is going to do a write up hopefully.

Weight wise, this will be around 4oz heavier then a SDN-6, but also have slightly more volume as the OAL is around 9.5"

To make it Grffin compatible....

THIS

Griffin Muzzle Brake
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#25]
You guys seriously are hard on my wallet!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What size/model freeze plugs are they using?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want  These

There is a brand name that begins with a D, that comes up when searching the same model number, you dont want those.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You want  These

There is a brand name that begins with a D, that comes up when searching the same model number, you dont want those.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want  These

Why not the "D" brand?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want  These

Something changed and it doesn't fit in that centering jig.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Something changed and it doesn't fit in that centering jig

10-4 Thanks
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Will freeze plugs hold up to rifle rounds? I'm talking 6.5 Grendel out of an 18in barrel.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

The center jig is the one thing I don't get.  The hole doesn't look big enough for a larger drill bit for 30cal.? Any insight on this?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The center jig is the one thing I don't get.  The hole doesn't look big enough for a larger drill bit for 30cal.? Any insight on this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is only to get the center. You are not supposed to drill the holes out, until after you have formed the baffle. I believe you drill a small hole first, form the baffle, then drill out a .06" larger hole then the caliber you want.

With these suppressors becoming more popular, it would be awesome if someone found something better to make better baffles with.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Will freeze plugs hold up to rifle rounds? I'm talking 6.5 Grendel out of an 18in barrel.
View Quote

Supposedly well, but you can replace them aslong as you dont weld anything. Just destroy what you are replacing before making the replacements to be legal.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Also, there is a stainless tube out there that works with the parts too, but its sold by someone else and is $10 more.... I will have to find it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#36]
I wonder if it's rated for a 10.5 556 with the Griffin muzzle break
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Also, there is a stainless tube out there that works with the parts too, but its sold by someone else and is $10 more.... I will have to find it.
View Quote

Apogee products
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is. It comes in either stainless or carbon steel. The carbon steel is in black, OD green and Sand. I was looking at them last night but can't recall the name of the company.  I want to make one and sleeve the inside and do washers. If one turns out OK then I'll make one for other things as well. I was thinking M91/30. Who wants to shoot corrosive ammo through a really expensive sealed can, right?

I contacted SD tactical and inquired about SS end caps for centerfire cartridges. I wouldn't want an AL end cap for such purposes.

Oh, anyone know how difficult it is to use a drill press as a mill?

ETA: Thanks for the company name above ^
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There is. It comes in either stainless or carbon steel. The carbon steel is in black, OD green and Sand. I was looking at them last night but can't recall the name of the company.  I want to make one and sleeve the inside and do washers. If one turns out OK then I'll make one for other things as well. I was thinking M91/30. Who wants to shoot corrosive ammo through a really expensive sealed can, right?

I contacted SD tactical and inquired about SS end caps for centerfire cartridges. I wouldn't want an AL end cap for such purposes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stainless flush caps would be nice. I'm not a fan of them each sticking out and adding another 1/2"
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#40]
This site is going to bankrupt me.  I already have six stamps pending and im sitting here considering sending in another form 1.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

This site is going to bankrupt me.  I already have six stamps pending and im sitting here considering sending in another form 1.
View Quote
Get off the fence and into the pool.  You know you're going to anyway...    I'm waiting on my 9/16 to be approved so I can begin my suppressor...
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Get off the fence and into the pool.  You know you're going to anyway...    I'm waiting on my 9/16 to be approved so I can begin my suppressor...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm certainly anywhere but on the fence  
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#43]
So to clarify I submit a form 1 via eform, pay my 200 bucks, wait 2 weeks, get stamp. Buy shopping list, assemble, weld, drill and thread onto my 9mm pistol. Seriously??? what am I missing
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

So to clarify I submit a form 1 via eform, pay my 200 bucks, wait 2 weeks, get stamp. Buy shopping list, assemble, weld, drill and thread onto my 9mm pistol. Seriously??? what am I missing
View Quote
Don't forget, you'll need to have it engraved with the required information as well...

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Don't forget, you'll need to have it engraved with the required information as well...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pffft, this is poor man's can. Electro pencil ftw!

seriously though. a trophy shop can do it for cheap.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My friend's form 1 should only be 1-2 weeks for this, mine wont be for atleast 3.  He is going to do a write up hopefully.

Weight wise, this will be around 4oz heavier then a SDN-6, but also have slightly more volume as the OAL is around 9.5"

THIS

Griffin Muzzle Brake
View Quote

They make a Gemtech adapter! Hmmm I might actually do this now!

http://www.sdtacticalarms.com/GEMTECH-LID-LIBERTY-SUPPRESSOR-RECOIL-BOOSTER-REAR-THREAD-PROTECTOR_p_17.html
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#47]
I've seriously been considering a "Maglite" suppressor build or two. I have an Octane 45 and really like it a lot, however I have no desire to put it on a HD firearm. I'd like to do a 9mm C-cell Maglite can for my HD Beretta M9. I also hope to do a .223/.22 LR stainless can with stainless baffles. I don't like the look of tiny .22 LR cans on rifles. My main issue as of late has been thinking up ways I would reduce weight on such a build.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://www.sdtacticalarms.com/GEMTECH-LID-LIBERTY-SUPPRESSOR-RECOIL-BOOSTER-REAR-THREAD-PROTECTOR_p_17.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS

Griffin Muzzle Brake

yes this is the route im going to go with.  

Just wish EForms wasn't down on Wednesdays.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've seriously been considering a "Maglite" suppressor build or two. I have an Octane 45 and really like it a lot, however I have no desire to put it on a HD firearm. I'd like to do a 9mm C-cell Maglite can for my HD Beretta M9. I also hope to do a .223/.22 LR stainless can with stainless baffles. I don't like the look of tiny .22 LR cans on rifles. My main issue as of late has been thinking up ways I would reduce weight on such a build.
View Quote

weight savings is gonna be a hard sell for these builds (frugal). You can always do a 2 cell mag light and less baffles. Most .22 cans are 1in diameter if I recall correctly; these are 1.55 so you can get the same internal volumn with a shorter 1.55 can.  Sure the can body is AL but you can soak your baffles (SS) if you want to clean them. Just use as much AL as you can is all I can say.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

weight savings is gonna be a hard sell for these builds (frugal). You can always do a 2 cell mag light and less baffles. Most .22 cans are 1in diameter if I recall correctly; these are 1.55 so you can get the same internal volumn with a shorter 1.55 can.  Sure the can body is AL but you can soak your baffles (SS) if you want to clean them. Just use as much AL as you can is all I can say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My plan has been to use the stainless tube. It has a .100" wall. I then hope to have it turned down to around .065" or maybe even slightly lower ahead of my blast chamber if possible. I have a local 07/02 that should be able to do that. Then, as far as baffles are concerned, I plan to use 6-8 SS baffles and anodized aluminum spacers that have been drilled for lightening purposes. Based on other designs I have seen, this should be doable in the low 20-ounce range.

I would like to see flush-fit endcaps in SS for these tubes. I also have concerns about using aluminum, even if anodized, as spacers. High heat/pressure can corrode aluminum and I am not sure how well anodizing will protect them.

If it turns out that the performance is garbage there are plenty of 07/02s out there that can recore it for me, I just want to give it a shot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top