Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2014 1:30:15 PM EDT
Is there any ammo I specifically shouldn't use due to baffle strike risk?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes and no.  The 60gr stuff (SSS) is meant for barrels with a faster twist than most common .22's.  Avoid this in general unless your gun is made specifically with a fast twist like 1-in-9.  I would also avoid any 'gimick' ammo.  Arguably, the best stuff on the market for suppressors is the Federal Suppressor ammo.  Federal Suppressor Ammo.  Good luck finding it, though.  If you're shooting regular velocity ammo from a pistol, it is all fine and all subsonic, but some will be dirtier than others.  Make sure to shoot your chosen load unsuppressed and check for keyholes prior to shooting it through a suppressor if you are unsure.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes and no.  The 60gr stuff (SSS) is meant for barrels with a faster twist than most common .22's.  Avoid this in general unless your gun is made specifically with a fast twist like 1-in-9.  I would also avoid any 'gimick' ammo.  Arguably, the best stuff on the market for suppressors is the Federal Suppressor ammo.  Federal Suppressor Ammo.  Good luck finding it, though.  If you're shooting regular velocity ammo from a pistol, it is all fine and all subsonic, but some will be dirtier than others.  Make sure to shoot your chosen load unsuppressed and check for keyholes prior to shooting it through a suppressor if you are unsure.
View Quote

I think CCI subsonic and CCI standard velocity are better than Federal Suppressor ammo.

My ruger 22/45 lite pistol still has the sonic crack every 5 or so rounds if I use bulk pack 22 ammo.

I use CCI standard velocity when plinking through any .22 pistol or rifle that is suppressed.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think CCI subsonic and CCI standard velocity are better than Federal Suppressor ammo.

My ruger 22/45 lite pistol still has the sonic crack every 5 or so rounds if I use bulk pack 22 ammo.

I use CCI standard velocity when plinking through any .22 pistol or rifle that is suppressed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're comparing apples to oranges.  You say that Bulk Pack has a sonic crack... well most bulk pack is high velocity.  The CCI Subsonic is nice, but it uses a lighter bullet and standard powders.  The CCI Stnadard velocity is good for pistols, but supersonic in rifles.  CCI Suppressor uses clean burning powders and a heavier bullet so it's more reliable in rifles AND pistols and harder hitting with the heavier bullet, not to mention cleaner for both the gun and the can.

So, what's not to like?  You don't say why you prefer one ATK product over the other ATK product.  (CCI and Federal are both the same company.)
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This has not been our experience. CCI standard velocity has remained subsonic in all of our usage in a Ruger 10/22 or a Ruger 77/22.
The CCI Subsonic I have 2 boxes of both say that the bullet is 45 grains. This is heavier than the standard ammo which has 40 grain bullets, and it remains subsonic in a rifle.
BTW, our (Gemtech) .22LR subsonic uses a 42 gr projectile and remains subsonic in everything we have tried.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're comparing apples to oranges.  You say that Bulk Pack has a sonic crack... well most bulk pack is high velocity.  The CCI Subsonic is nice, but it uses a lighter bullet and standard powders.  The CCI Stnadard velocity is good for pistols, but supersonic in rifles.  CCI Suppressor uses clean burning powders and a heavier bullet so it's more reliable in rifles AND pistols and harder hitting with the heavier bullet, not to mention cleaner for both the gun and the can.

This has not been our experience. CCI standard velocity has remained subsonic in all of our usage in a Ruger 10/22 or a Ruger 77/22.
The CCI Subsonic I have 2 boxes of both say that the bullet is 45 grains. This is heavier than the standard ammo which has 40 grain bullets, and it remains subsonic in a rifle.
BTW, our (Gemtech) .22LR subsonic uses a 42 gr projectile and remains subsonic in everything we have tried.

You must either be mistaken or you are privy to a special load that the general public is not.   I was talking about this product:
---   CCI Subsonic (at Midway)

and this product:
---   CCI Standard Velocity (at Midway)

and I looked here:
---   CCI Product Page with all CCI loads

and it said that there are no .22lr loads with a 45gr bullet.  They have one in their American Eagle Suppressor product line (as I noted above) here:
---   Federal Product Page with all Federal Loads

All that said, it is nice that all of your .22 loads that are supposed to be subsonic are REALLY subsonic.  I have had different results.  MOST of the CCI Standard Velocity rounds were subsonic from an 18" barrel.  That's not good enough for me... Some were means that some WERE NOT!  Rated velocity of 1070 means that supersonic velocities were within the SD and extreme spread.   Pistols will be subsonic.  Rifles, not always.

Now, for the 42gr loads your company makes, I am all for that, but I hesitate to pull the proverbial trigger because they are lead.  If they were available, I would buy them... don't get me wrong... but if I had my choice, the American Eagle Suppressor seems to have all of the best attributes of a good suppressable load: copper-plated bullet, clean burning powder, bullet weight that standard guns can stabilize but will still have energy on target, and reliably subsonic velocities in my rifle.  Now, if I can just find anybody with them in stock.  I think Gemtech's load is a great idea, but I haven't been able to get my hands on either it or Winchester's 42 grain load.  Sneaking suspicion that Winchester might be making the Gemtech-branded loads as Winchester's 42 gr hollow point looks pretty similar to Gemtech's round nose.  I'm okay with that, just MAKE MORE!
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#6]
CCI standard velocity remains subsonic out of my MP15-22 (16" barrel) and my ruger 77/22 (20" barrel).
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I've shot plenty of CCI standard velocity out of bolt action and semi-auto rifles and I haven't gotten a sonic crack from either of them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#8]

You must either be mistaken or you are privy to a special load that the general public is not.   I was talking about this product:
View Quote

Not mistaken, privy.
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/whatsnew/newproducts.aspx
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love your ammo but when are you going to drop the price, its pretty expensive to go and blast.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

and this product:

and I looked here:

and it said that there are no .22lr loads with a 45gr bullet.  They have one in their American Eagle Suppressor product line (as I noted above) here:

All that said, it is nice that all of your .22 loads that are supposed to be subsonic are REALLY subsonic.  I have had different results.  MOST of the CCI Standard Velocity rounds were subsonic from an 18" barrel.  That's not good enough for me... Some were means that some WERE NOT!  Rated velocity of 1070 means that supersonic velocities were within the SD and extreme spread.   Pistols will be subsonic.  Rifles, not always.

Now, for the 42gr loads your company makes, I am all for that, but I hesitate to pull the proverbial trigger because they are lead.  If they were available, I would buy them... don't get me wrong... but if I had my choice, the American Eagle Suppressor seems to have all of the best attributes of a good suppressable load: copper-plated bullet, clean burning powder, bullet weight that standard guns can stabilize but will still have energy on target, and reliably subsonic velocities in my rifle.  Now, if I can just find anybody with them in stock.  I think Gemtech's load is a great idea, but I haven't been able to get my hands on either it or Winchester's 42 grain load.  Sneaking suspicion that Winchester might be making the Gemtech-branded loads as Winchester's 42 gr hollow point looks pretty similar to Gemtech's round nose.  I'm okay with that, just MAKE MORE!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
style='font-weight: bold;riginally Posted By PHD:[/span]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span]

[span style='color: red;']The CCI Subsonic I have 2 boxes of both say that the bullet is 45 grains.[/span] This is heavier than the standard ammo which has 40 grain bullets, and it remains subsonic in a rifle.

and this product:

and I looked here:

I have never got a sonic crack from CCI standard velocity in a rifle or pistols with 10,000s of rounds. Where are you shooting? I shoot in GA and NC mountains. Maybe altitude or weather is affecting the sonic crack?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer the gemtech subsonic. runs in my dedicated 22 conversion ar and is click thump quiet.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#12]
CCI SV is only 1049ish FPS (I dont have a package in front of me), it should stay subsonic in Rilfe or pistol.  Bulk packs are usualy around 1200 FPS out of a rifle you will need a 4 to 4.5' barrel to keep it subsonic.  

MAHA

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:45:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I use CCI standard velocity in all of my rifles, perfect compromise between price and accuracy.  It meters about 1060 fps and I've never gotten a supersonic crack.  It is much more reliable and accurate than the way too slow CCI Quiet Ammo.  CCI Std Vel is advertised at 1070 fps with a 40 grain bullet.  The CCI Suppressor ammo says 970 fps with a 45 grain bullet.  In my opinion this makes it inferior to the faster std vel ammo in power and trajectory unless the BC of the suppressor ammo is much higher.

I use cheaper CCI Blazer in my pistols as it almost always stays subsonic in any barrel five inches long or less.  While it is subsonic in my Ruger and Buckmark, it is about 100 fps faster than CCI std vel ammo and for some reason a bit lower stdev.  

Randy
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been trying out different ammo with my suppressor and Remington Cbee are really loud. They say 740fps "low noise" but they are far louder than the CCI standard velocity. Maybe I got a bad batch, but I would avoid that particular round. CCI Standard will also cycle my rifle or pistol and are very quiet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top