Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2002 2:12:00 PM EDT
I am thinking about buying an HK 91 from Federal Arms but my local gun dealer told me I should be carefull the rebuilt guns from old war parts are not good quality.Does anyone have one or know of their quality?
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#1]
stay away from HK clones with alum. receivers. Clones from Portugal are the best but scarce.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
FAC receiver has been very reliable, but the receiver is just butt ugly.  Springfield made the last batch of SAR8 out of the FAC receiver.  I would highly suggest a FMP produced receiver with a good parts set from InterOrdnance.  This will yield the best result in a HK91 copy.  But if your budget is limited, FAC is a good choice, but do stay away from anything Hesse.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Spend some time over at these sites.

www.hk91.com

www.hkpro.com
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#4]
You might want to think about one of these...
www.full-auto.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000147

If you don't mind green furniture, it's $1,600 plus a 6 month wait.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
 Springfield made the last batch of SAR8 out of the FAC receiver.  

So is SA no longer making the SAR8?
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Who sells the best parts kits?  What should I look for?
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#7]
If you can't find an original HK in your budget, do a lot of research before you buy and don't buy anything you can't send back with an inspection period.  

I would also suggest that you visit the web boards mentioned above for lots of information and help.  I bought a like new HK-91 because of the quality and collector value.  Then I had to buy an HK-93 to go with it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:51:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I spent a long time going through exactly the same decision.  Part of the time I was in the military (in Europe) I was issues G-3's, so it woudl be fun to have a semi version.

Eventually I decided that I just didn't trust any of the kits on rebuilt receivers.  Especially with german engineering, I'm just not sure I'd like the worry of old parts and a reverse-engineered receiver.

On the other hand, I decided that I just could not make myself pay $2000 for an HK91.  I own a lot of firearms, but I always try to stay under $1000.

I was in a bind.  Solution - I ordered a FAL.  

With the FAL, I'm less concerned about super-tight tolerances and german anal manufacturing, and you can get really good clone guns (from DSA or IAI) for about $700-$900, or go with a cheapo Century gun for about $450.  I'd be willing to try a century FAL, but not a century G-3.  

I also remembered that the recoil from the G-3 is downright unpleasant, but the FAL is much more humane.

Just my (irrational) thinking.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Who sells the best parts kits?  What should I look for?

www.interordnance.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top