Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2001 9:00:47 AM EDT
I need to store my toys for a while. At least six months, probably longer. I have a gun cabinet I'll be moving to my dad's and putting up into his attic. His is much better climate controlled than mine is, but it still tends to get a little humid in the summer.  I was going to place the guns into the cabinet and put some "Damp Rid" packs in with it and have dad change them as needed about every 4-6 weeks. Iwas also going to put a thicker than normal coat of oil on them as I put them into the cabinet.

Should I do anything else to keep them from rusting or pitting or even attracting moisture. I have them in indiviual cases or their factory box right now, would it be better to leave them in the cases/box or let them "breath" a little better in the cabinet.

I will be storing 12 long guns and 8 handguns, anything I should do different for the handguns over the long guns?

Any advice wuld be appreciated, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Your best bet is to oil them well and let them breathe in the cabinet.   I have had good luck with silicone impregnated "bore stores" like a bluish sock that is alleged to inhibit rust.  Anyone know of a heavier oil, something that won't evaporate like CLP does?

Also, don't forget to swab the bores before you break them out again, get rid of the excess oil.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Anyone know of a heavier oil, something that won't evaporate like CLP does?

BreakFree makes a version of CLP called "Collector."  It's supposed to be more preservation oriented.

Also, you could try a heavy coat of Johnson's paste wax.  It protects at least as well as oil, and I don't like the idea of leaving a bunch of guns dripping with oil for an extended period of time.  

Then there is always the old standby, Cosmolene.

I would take them out of their factory cases.  If you have to cover them up, use a gun sock made from something that will breathe.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking something like RIG gun grease or getting a bottle of that beige colored heavy oil/liquid like grease the military uses.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
you might try clenzoil,it's good stuff for long term storage, just wipe it on inside and out and that's about it, I've got some dies I've stored this way, they've been sitting in my basement for 3yrs now, and look like i just put them up yesterday.Clenzoil is all I use now,
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Liberal use of Rigs or CLP collector, if you have a food saver type device (vacuum packer) I'd do that too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top