Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2017 10:12:52 AM EDT
I'm needing a scope recommendation.  I've got a 16" 6.8spc AR that needs a scope.  It's primary use will be short range shooting and deer hunting.  Shot distance will be between 75 and 250 yards.  I'm in Ky where it's hills and lots of trees.  Never hunted before, but understand the average deer shot is about 75 yards around here.  What magnification range would you recommend?  Maybe a 2-7x, or should I go higher?

I've got a 4-12x Nikon on a bolt action 308 that I use at the local range.  I'm happy with that scope, but I'm thinking about changing it.  There is a local match not far from me that shoots 500 yards.  I'm interested in giving that a try.  I'm not sure if my scope is sufficient for that distance.  What would you recommend for that in terms of magnification?

Should I get a better scope for my bolt action 308 and put the 4-12x Nikon on the 6.8?  Or should I get a lower powered scope for the 6.8?  If I go 2-7x on it, I'm thinking about the Vortex 2-7x 44mm Crossfire II...  thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#1]
4-12 is perfect for 500. I use a 3.5 acog at 300m all day ringing steel. Perrhaps a 1-6 scope might be a little easier on the wallet for your 6.8. Otherwise the crossfire will be a nice fit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I suspect more deer are shot inside of 75 than outside. That's the case here, and I've killed the majority inside of 50yds.

A 2x7 would be a good choice, so would a 1x4, and a 1x6 would be perfect, imo. Fwiw, I sometimes run a 1.25x4 on my 6.8, and find it a good combo.

I think 4x at the low end is way to much for a deer rifle and 12x is way beyond required at any rational range for deer hunting, so I wouldn't put the 4x12 on the 6.8.

I would try the 4x12 at 500. I think if you're shooting steel it will be fine, if you're shooting paper and the scoring is by inches of deviation from the X or group size, you might want more than 12x.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd go with a low power variable for the 6.8 (ie 1-4, 1-6, ect....) keep it at 1x in case you have one jump out on you, your not trying to find the deer in the scope. I have a 1.5-5 leupold mk 4 and I find shooting it with both eyes open at 1.5x not difficult at all.

as for the 4-12 on the .308 that's plenty for 500yds, however the features of the scope may be a limiting factor depending on what type of shooting your doing. having adjustable turrets so you can dial and shoot is a nice feature over using the reticle for hold overs. if doing paper precision shooting then having a scope that has 1/8" moa adjusments and a lot of magnification is pretty common but that's a different game. if you just out there to have fun you can make what you have work.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info!

I was afraid 4x would be too much for the low end on a deer rifle.  Thanks for conforming my suspicion.  Looks like I should look for a 1-6x.  

Looks like a decent 1-6x Vortex is about $330.  I'd like to pay less than that.  Any suggestions on a quality scope for a decent price?

I'm open to a 1-4x as well if I can find one for a decent price.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#5]
check primary arms
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like that PA 1-6x24mm Gen3 SFP is what I should look into.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]
when it comes to glass I live by the Buy Once Cry Once mentality. It's pretty common for optic's to cost more than the rifle their installed on. my MK4 mr/t for example has been on at least half a dozen rifles and cost me over $600 almost a decade ago. still truckin. It's clear enough that I've made shots on steel out to 800yds with my .308, spotting misses is a little difficult but I could track the trace for a good while with it's field of view at that distance. and that's just a mid/entry level optic.

These last few years have brought some nice optic's to the table, makes mine almost seem obsolete
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like that PA 1-6x24mm Gen3 SFP is what I should look into.  Thanks!
View Quote
np. I bought the 2-7x
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I suspect more deer are shot inside of 75 than outside. That's the case here, and I've killed the majority inside of 50yds.

A 2x7 would be a good choice, so would a 1x4, and a 1x6 would be perfect, imo. Fwiw, I sometimes run a 1.25x4 on my 6.8, and find it a good combo.

I think 4x at the low end is way to much for a deer rifle and 12x is way beyond required at any rational range for deer hunting, so I wouldn't put the 4x12 on the 6.8.

I would try the 4x12 at 500. I think if you're shooting steel it will be fine, if you're shooting paper and the scoring is by inches of deviation from the X or group size, you might want more than 12x.
View Quote
Agree 4x on the low end isn't ideal for close range deer hunting.  1x4 or 1x6 tatical scopes would work fine but one thing about most of them is they are heavy(normally around 18 oz)  The leupold's tend to be the lightest.  If going with a 2x7 I would look at redfield revolution, burris fullfield or leupold(redfield is a leupold)  Those scopes are around 11 OZ.  The hog hunter 1x4 is 9 oz.  None of the scopes listed are over 220$
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in agreement with what everyone else says.  My first hunting rifle had a fixed 4x and there were few times it was fine, there were also times where it was too much scope for movement and closer range and I'd have a hard time getting them in the scope.  I have a 2x7 on my recce and I think that is a good compromise.  Just set it on 2x and forget it.  zoom it to 7 if you have time and a long shot.  Or when you're testing for accuracy.   I've shot more deer with just irons than anything else though.  Because as someone said, under 100 is most typical.  In Wisconsin.  However, there are times when you could shoot super far here too.  But most don't really try, because they don't want to mess up the shot and wound.  

3x9's are hard to beat for all around too, but if you think your shots are going to be close at all, the 2x is better.  

And yeah, the other scope seems like it would be fine for longer range shooting.  I will say this, but not everyone is going to agree.  Once you start getting above 10x minute movements become really amplified in a scope and it annoys me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I will say this, but not everyone is going to agree.  Once you start getting above 10x minute movements become really amplified in a scope and it annoys me.
View Quote
I agree that they become more noticeable but not that it annoys. if shooting long distance extra magnification forces you to concentrate on natural point of aim and breathing thus shrinking groups.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd take a look at the Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32. Much, much better glass than the Crossfire, and can be found for just slightly over $200. I've got a couple of the HPs including a 2-8 on different rifles and I tell you what, I'm very happy with them, my only complaint is they'll a little on the heavy side.  Another scope I've been using quite a bit lately that I like is the Leupold VX-2 2-7x33. Only a few $ more than the Vortex 2-8 and quite a bit lighter. I can't tell much difference in the glass between it and the Vortex in decent light, the Leupold might be a bit better in low light but not much.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I was able to score a new Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24mm for $60 off.  Should be in this week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top