BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 3:43:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nicely said Eastriver.  I don't get why people have to make up reasons to convince others why they shouldn't like this or that.  
I hate Glocks, I have been asked several times what's a good gun, first gun that comes to mind....Glock, they are great guns.

ACRs do have a couple issues, that being said, they also have some great features.  As most guns do.

Sorry typed this on my phone.
View Quote

Thanks bro!
If you look at ACR production numbers and compare that to online opinions, there's a substantial disparity. There are considerably more online opinions than guns in circulation, which means there's a few ACR's out there that have been handled by more dudes than my prom date or people with zero first hand experience are offering unqualified opinions...

If you own an ACR, have owned an ACR or have at least fired a magazine through one, please share your thoughts/opinions/experiences. Same thing with an ARX, SCAR and now the poor G36 that's now been dragged into this. Maybe instead of perpetuating opinions about marketing, pricing or accessories we could use this section of the site to actually exchange technical information about firearms and actually help folks that have legitimate questions?

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 3:47:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Fortunately both those problems will be easily fixed. It did seem odd to me that they didn't make it with a cheek riser.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not heard a report of a 12lb trigger yet. Mine is probably around 8 or 9 pounds and is very crisp compared to a standard AR trigger. Not that any of this matters because the aftermarket will eventually fix this problem as it did with the SCAR.

The rail height is not much different than all of the other comparable piston over the barrel rifles... SCAR, ACR, XCR.

Looks have no bearing, all of these new rifles look like fish, I have accepted this... Why is this so hard to do for so many?

+1

The trigger is rated at ~10#, & the rail HOB is same as other current-gen rifles.

Did I mention that it's light?

I was referring to the height over the stock, it's way too high and there's not even a cheek riser like the ACR and SCAR both have:

http://i.imgur.com/GhNRpVC.jpg

TFB did a nice test and comparison of the trigger weights on a range of semi auto rifles and the ARX-100 was the heaviest out of all they tested, even heavier than all the bullpups:

http://i.imgur.com/0nZPXb9.jpg
Fortunately both those problems will be easily fixed. It did seem odd to me that they didn't make it with a cheek riser.  

Like how the problem of the acr only being able to shoot 5.56 was easily solved
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 4:23:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Has nobody mentioned the Fax on ARAK for an alternative? Quick change barrel, piston driven,  uses ar15 lower.
http://faxonfirearms.com/arak-21-upper-receiver/
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]

If you own an ACR, have owned an ACR or have at least fired a magazine through one, please share your thoughts/opinions/experiences. Same thing with an ARX, SCAR and now the poor G36 that's now been dragged into this. Maybe instead of perpetuating opinions about marketing, pricing or accessories we could use this section of the site to actually exchange technical information about firearms and actually help folks that have legitimate questions?

View Quote

I still own most of those.  My impressions:

ACR:  love the modularity.  Ergonomically very good.  Like that it takes AR FCG. It's a bit front heavy but it doesn't bother me, it tends to damp muzzle rise.  Accuracy and reliability are nothing to complain about.  The safety knob detent relies on a leg of the hammer spring and is difficult to reassemble correctly.  Removable FCG cage is the shit.  Bolt hold open is FAL style. Takedown is easy.

ARX: lightness of the rifle is its most outstanding characteristic.  Ergos are good, but the factory sights are high and clunky.  Trigger is way too heavy but has the benefit of no creep.  Charging handle needs about another 1/4 or 1/2 inch on it.  Accuracy is better than average but the trigger makes it a chore.  Forearm really wants a full accessory rail, and the side rails are unwelcome protrusions.  Ambi features are awesome, especially the select eject.  Bolt hold open is FAL style.  Takedown could be easier, getting the bolt out is squirrelly. Adjustable gas knob is not real intuitive.

SCAR:  light, good sights, less muzzle rise due to brake.  Accuracy and reliability are up to par. Trigger needs but little improvement.  Takedown is easy. Too many sharp edges on the forearm.   Bolt hold open is AR style. Has bolt hold open issues with PMAGs.

XCR: bit on the heavy side.  Trigger is heavy and creepy.  Accuracy is ok, better trigger would help.  Gas system needs adjustment for Wolf, and needs a wrench to do it.  Folding stock has no latch to lock, uses friction screw to adjust.  Not a big fan of the screws and pins for takedown, which isn't difficult.  Aftermarket parts are a pick up the phone and call a guy proposition, which sucks.   Bolt hold open is FAL style.  Least favorite of the bunch.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up an ACR as an impulse buy when they were pretty new.  I had the barrel turned down by ADCO, installed a Geissele SSA trigger, put a vented set screw in the gas regulator exhaust port, and shot the shit out of it.  Like I said in the other thread, I'd love to hate it, so I could be more motivated to sell it.

It is by far, the softest shooting suppressed 5.56 rifle I own (with the gas set to S).  It shoots 55 thru 75 grain bullets with respectable accuracy, and it's never malfunctioned with factory 5.56, or my reloads (I have never shot any factory .223, so I don't know how they will run).  I have never personally had any rounds spit out of the magazine, when inserting in the rifle, P-MAG, Lancer or USGI.

I do wish the factory conversions would have panned out, and I'd like to have a set of the REMDEF hand guards, or a nice after market M-LOK replacement.  My only real complaint, is the charging handle needs to be longer, or offset like the Radom rifle.  I knock my knuckles on any optic, when charging the rifle.  I made one in the garage that worked ok, but a factory style option would be nice.

My boy shooting it:
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, the stock has no riser adjustment, which is a surprising.  Only possible reason I could guess for this omission was to allow for clearance to work with stock folded & the CH switched to the R-side.  It locks up & feels solid, but it's too bad the stock isn't removable so adapters could be made to host the ACR stock.

LOS makes some interesting Kydex risers for the ARX; currently the only aftermarket solution of this type for it at this time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not heard a report of a 12lb trigger yet. Mine is probably around 8 or 9 pounds and is very crisp compared to a standard AR trigger. Not that any of this matters because the aftermarket will eventually fix this problem as it did with the SCAR.

The rail height is not much different than all of the other comparable piston over the barrel rifles... SCAR, ACR, XCR.

Looks have no bearing, all of these new rifles look like fish, I have accepted this... Why is this so hard to do for so many?

+1

The trigger is rated at ~10#, & the rail HOB is same as other current-gen rifles.

I was referring to the height over the stock, it's way too high and there's not even a cheek riser like the ACR and SCAR both have:

TFB did a nice test and comparison of the trigger weights on a range of semi auto rifles and the ARX-100 was the heaviest out of all they tested, even heavier than all the bullpups:

Yes, the stock has no riser adjustment, which is a surprising.  Only possible reason I could guess for this omission was to allow for clearance to work with stock folded & the CH switched to the R-side.  It locks up & feels solid, but it's too bad the stock isn't removable so adapters could be made to host the ACR stock.

LOS makes some interesting Kydex risers for the ARX; currently the only aftermarket solution of this type for it at this time.

I have an ARX and one of LOS's risers (1/2"). The ARX does end up with an AR height optic probably 1/4-1/2" higher (relative to the stock) than an AR. The riser LOS makes is inexpensive and definitely increases comfort.

I saw the TFB test. Do note they used ONE example of each rifle, and shit varies from rifle to rifle, you know? Also 'heavy' doesn't necessarily mean 'bad', just like 'light' doesn't necessarily mean 'good'. I've had some guns with light triggers (2-5lb) and they were shit. The ARX trigger is heavy, but it is very crisp, doesn't creep and still feels pretty nice.

IMHO, the ARX actually does what the ACR was intended to do. The only thing I can see that the ARX doesn't do that the ACR does (besides caliber changes) is have a swappable handguard. That's of somewhat questionable utility.  Also you can't hold the ARX like a pool queue (your weak hand way out as close to the muzzle as possible. If you favor doing so, you won't want one.

My only complaints about the ARX are:
Heavy trigger
Stock a bit too short
No stock cheek riser
A2 grip isn't great

And... Beretta takes fucking FOREVER to get shit out for sale. I just got the bottom picatinny rail in for mine a couple weeks ago. As far as I know, they still don't have the bolt handle extensions available in the US. They said at SHOT this year they'd have barrels available at the end of Q1, but we're near the end of Q2, and no barrels.

I'm happy the price is dropping. People will be more prone to buy them at a lower price. More people buy them, there will be more support for them, more accessories and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 1:31:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I wanted so badly to like the SCAR, but I just couldn't get there in 5.56. I can't really be anymore specific than to say "I just don't like it". That said, it's very much a great weapon, but the reciprocating charging handle, "unique" recoil impulse and incompatibility with the mountains of gen2 Pmags I have are just a few things. That said, if I came across another one that was a good deal-I'd buy it just for fun. Same goes for other "novelty" guns I've bought/sold... Again, not knocking it or trying to start a debate-i just don't prefer it.

The ARX-100 is still new to me, so I'm withholding an "official" opinion. It's got a lot of neat features, but most are features I won't use... I just don't see myself changing right/left ejection, no matter how easy it is to do. Never had a left-side eject M4, yet here I stand The ergonomics are funny to me, but I'm starting to get used to them. The trigger gets better with use, but it's not going to win you a HJ at Camp Perry. Beretta evidently looked at MBUS sights and thought "how could we make these worse?". Easy fix though... If you are looking for a non-AR or "modular" type carbine, the ARX is a great place to start IMO. Gives you a view of life beyond the AR without the financial commitment-I paid $1400 OTD for mine, which is less than any ACR or SCAR I've owned.

The XCR is a neat gun. I've never owned one, but I've shot several. I get why people like/buy them, but I loathe the manufacturer and wouldn't buy one if it came with an IROC Camaro filled with strippers and Hamm's tall-boys I'm still butt-hurt over the M96 as that was easily one of the best shooting 5.56's I've ever owned and I'm still waiting on my belt-fed conversion.

The ACR was my favorite from the get-go. The controls, feel, trigger, look etc are all the best IMO. Mine have all run great and have replaced everything as my "go-to" carbine. I firmly believe that the ACR is the "best" weapon in this "class". Sadly, it's easily made by the worst manufacturer. Buy a 2k rifle. Need a part from the manufacturer? f@$& you. Want a coyote lower? F@$& you. Basic handguard doesn't have enough rail space and the tri-rail is too short? F@$& you. Want a caliber/barrel/model advertised in their catalogue? F@$& you. I think you get the idea When I had my SCAR and would let folks shoot that, along with my ACR, I never met anyone that preferred the SCAR over the ACR. If you are simply looking for one of the highest performing 5.56 carbines available, the ACR is the one to buy.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 2:16:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The ARX-100 is still new to me, so I'm withholding an "official" opinion. It's got a lot of neat features, but most are features I won't use... I just don't see myself changing right/left ejection, no matter how easy it is to do. Never had a left-side eject M4, yet here I stand The ergonomics are funny to me, but I'm starting to get used to them. The trigger gets better with use, but it's not going to win you a HJ at Camp Perry. Beretta evidently looked at MBUS sights and thought "how could we make these worse?". Easy fix though... If you are looking for a non-AR or "modular" type carbine, the ARX is a great place to start IMO. Gives you a view of life beyond the AR without the financial commitment-I paid $1400 OTD for mine, which is less than any ACR or SCAR I've owned.
View Quote

The Beretta BUIS are kinda the way they are because the ARX160 uses a shorter rail, and the sights don't sit on top of the rail. On the ARX-100, they do. With an AR height optic, I get absolute cowitness with them, rather than lower 1/3. Definitely easy to remedy. When I get a round tuit, I'm going to put a 1-4x illuminated reticle sight on my ARX and ditch the stock BUIS. I'm thinking about the Magpul offset folding BUIS. I'll probably never have call to use them, but it will be nice to have them there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 3:29:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Beretta BUIS are kinda the way they are because the ARX160 uses a shorter rail, and the sights don't sit on top of the rail. On the ARX-100, they do. With an AR height optic, I get absolute cowitness with them, rather than lower 1/3. Definitely easy to remedy. When I get a round tuit, I'm going to put a 1-4x illuminated reticle sight on my ARX and ditch the stock BUIS. I'm thinking about the Magpul offset folding BUIS. I'll probably never have call to use them, but it will be nice to have them there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixin' BUIS is easy. Lots of options out there... Personally, I haven't really considered cowitness since I've stopped using A2 FSB's. For me, the ARX is a red-dot only weapon. I just don't want to magnify the ergonomics and trigger I'm just running an EOTech XPS-0, no BUIS. My EOTech isn't going to malfunction, but if it does, then I'll just "shoot the tube". I can be just as effective doing that, as opposed to jacking with crappy BUIS
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I own both ACR and a couple XCR's, no issues with them. SBR'd the acr and the weight dropped noticeably, put in a 2 stage
trigger and it's a lot of fun to shoot. I've owned first gen xcr and the 2 I own now are newer, ambi controls and the updated gas system
and trigger were big improvements. No wrench needed to adjust the gas and decent trigger, and the xcr does have caliber
conversion kits available. I have 5.56 and 7.62x39 for my SBR and 5.45x39 for my 2nd.
I don't think you can go wrong with either gun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm disappointed in all of these next generation guns.  I even bought a tavor...jury is still out.  Just got into the sbr game.  6933 is my new favorite.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 1:16:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I choose the XCR. No tool to adjust gas. Fairly light. Accurate. AK reliable. AR ergos. Built solid. Easy to accessorize. Updated trigger eliminates problems on earlier versions.

Gave up on ACR because they refused to listen to the consumers on how to finish developing the gun correctly. Can't fix stupid I guess. Private owners did more development than the morons at BM.

Might try a scar sometime.

I'm sure ARX is a good rifle. Can't seem to warm up to it just yet. Hope they correct some of the weird stuff in the next gen. Do like the innovative features.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep.

Get a SCAR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Friend of mine bought one b/c he wanted to be able to change calibers easily.  He's had it for several years now, Bushmaster has yet to release any interchangeable bbls in other calibers.

Yep.

Get a SCAR

..and if you like the ACR stock, you can have it on the SCAR...oh yeah.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I like the barrel QD system on the ARX100 but the laughably bad 12lb trigger and high rail height instantly turned me off. There's a reason the price plummeted so quickly on them.

...and it's ugly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARX100. you're welcome.

you're joking right? have you ever shot/handled one?

I have and he's right. The ARX is a better rifle than either the SCAR or the ACR in both features and handling.

I like the barrel QD system on the ARX100 but the laughably bad 12lb trigger and high rail height instantly turned me off. There's a reason the price plummeted so quickly on them.

...and it's ugly.

..and it's bulkier than the SCAR.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARX100. you're welcome.

you're joking right? have you ever shot/handled one?

I have and he's right. The ARX is a better rifle than either the SCAR or the ACR in both features and handling.

...and it's ugly.

Not by much, if at all...
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

You still can't change the grip...so there's that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Whats almost hilarious too is that you're blaming Bushmaster for something Magpul did.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ACR suffers from the critical design flaw of lacking any sort of internal feed lip stops or supports.  No feed lip supports means the interia of the round stack pushes the top round in the mag out of the feed lips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBzOAVCfit8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6NuwH75RyM

It's almost hilarious.  They simply dressed up an AR-180......and they still got it wrong!!! ( the AR180 has FULL feed lip support and protection in the lower )  THAT IS AWESOME!!!  

Good going BM!!!! Fucking retards.

Whats almost hilarious too is that you're blaming Bushmaster for something Magpul did.  

Bushmaster builds the rifle don't they?  If its not in their responsibility to get it right I'm not sure who's it is.  Also Bushmaster had no problem changing things on the rifle when they thought it was in their(short sighted) interests.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Having some form of all of these except the ARX Ill say that i've settled on the ACR. Its not that front heavy, its reasonably accurate, it returns to zero after a barrel change and it handles everything Ive run though it so far. Yeah bushmaster isnt supporting it properly or really at all but there are some really smart guys deving stuff at home. Its a solid rifle and I like it quite a bit. I have recently bought a 6.5 grendel AR barrel and it may well completely replace my AR. OP please give it real cconsideration.

Thoughts on some of the other stuff mentioned here.

XCR- Very cool gun and felt very solid and lightweight. It been a few years since I sold mine but I did like it.

SCAR- Im not sure about it in 556, I have a 17 which I feel is unique in 308 but in 556 Im not sure i can justify it. I hate the reciprocating CH and the accessories from FN are expensive. Its a quality gun and accurate from what Ive shot. Despite the things Ive listed Im oddly on the fence and may sell it.

AR- I had a LMT MRP and once again liked it. It was likely the nicest AR Ive handled but I'm not really into ARs. I really like a folding stock and the gas piston feature is nice (though from personal experience is wholly unneccesary for anything but convinience and a but of tuning ease) so I think Ive personally been migrating away from the platform though part of me may keep my SPR for nostalgia.

ARAK- Very interesting design made by a very personable guy. I had one but traded the upper for the MRP listed above. It was cool and very quality but the barrel was propietary and I didnt take to 300 blk as much as I originally thought.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#20]
We had 3 of the Enhanced ACR..on the wall at the gun shop I am part time at. In 2 years they got played with but never bought. Then one Sunday afternoon a boat capt came in and bought two, one for him and one for his 1st mate...along with 2 cases of ammo. An hour later the 3rd one sold to a well known PGA..golfer. The mgr of the store came in Monday and saw all 3 gone and loled..we never ordered anymore.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm disappointed in all of these next generation guns.  I even bought a tavor...jury is still out.  Just got into the sbr game.  6933 is my new favorite.
View Quote

It's because none of them are refined. The only one that is doesn't exist commercially, the Remington ACR. Until then, why even bother trying to switch to a "next gen" semi auto when it does not do everything better or equal to what it is replacing? KAC SR-15, that's as refined as the AR-15 gets if you really feel like dropping 2K on a rifle
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Bushmaster builds the rifle don't they?  If its not in their responsibility to get it right I'm not sure who's it is.  Also Bushmaster had no problem changing things on the rifle when they thought it was in their(short sighted) interests.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ACR suffers from the critical design flaw of lacking any sort of internal feed lip stops or supports.  No feed lip supports means the interia of the round stack pushes the top round in the mag out of the feed lips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBzOAVCfit8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6NuwH75RyM

It's almost hilarious.  They simply dressed up an AR-180......and they still got it wrong!!! ( the AR180 has FULL feed lip support and protection in the lower )  THAT IS AWESOME!!!  

Good going BM!!!! Fucking retards.

Bushmaster licenses the rifle from Magpul. I don't know the details of their agreement, and I'm sure the licenser (Magpul) has final say on product specs/design

For the record, I like Magpul and I don't care for Bushmaster. The ACR has great ergos, that's about it, imo. I don't blame Bushmaster for anything other than not supporting the platform, then again, it is a Magpul licensed & designed product, and Magpul builds firearm magazines and accessories. Its amusing to think that their first mass produced firearm should also be their magnum opus.

I have no idea if Magpul or Bushmaster even cares about the future of the ACR, and since all evidence points to "meh," that to me is one more reason to stay away.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:13:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's because none of them are refined. The only one that is doesn't exist commercially, the Remington ACR. Until then, why even bother trying to switch to a "next gen" semi auto when it does not do everything better or equal to what it is replacing? KAC SR-15, that's as refined as the AR-15 gets if you really feel like dropping 2K on a rifle
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're kidding, right? Its Remington... I'll give you that it does LOOK cooler than the Bushmaster ACR, but its the same thing on the inside. And heavier...
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:15:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You're kidding, right? Its Remington... I'll give you that it does LOOK cooler than the Bushmaster ACR, but its the same thing on the inside. And heavier...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not 100% accurate. Remington has an offering without the quick-change barrel assembly found on the Bushmaster with available polymer or magnesium lowers.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:13:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not 100% accurate. Remington has an offering without the quick-change barrel assembly found on the Bushmaster with available polymer or magnesium lowers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Rem ACR is also about 5oz lighter than the Bushmaster ACR, my mistake. I was comparing the Rem ACR to the SCAR earlier and the Rem ACR is still heavier even though the barrel is shorter, so that thought had stuck.

I'm sure Rem achieved its minimal weight reduction by removing the barrel wrench attachment. You could probably remove it from a Bush ACR and achieve similar weight savings and call it an improvement.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heh?
-Almost 1LB lighter by doing away with the silly tool-less quick change barrel system and going to a more practical LMT style method, using a magnesium alloy lower, and a lighter barrel profile
-Slim alloy rail system
-Folding charging handle
-Changeable pistol grip
-Better sized controls
-1/7" twist barrel
-Internal refinements

It's significantly different from the Bushmaster and assuming it is reliable, it has every single modern weapon-design refinement that should be in a 2015 "assault rifle". I want one, badly

ETA: I saw you mentioned the SCAR in comparison. Faults of the SCAR that the Rem ACR gets right:
-Hollow stock
-Hooded gas-block front sight
-Reciprocating and non-folding charging handle that has poor placement
-Traditional non ambi controls (unlike ACR/XCR/ARX)
-Short rail system
-Poor sling mounting solutions

Point being, they may look similar, but they are different animals. But hey, at least you can buy the SCAR
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:14:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Heh?
-Almost 1LB lighter by doing away with the silly tool-less quick change barrel system and going to a more practical LMT style method, using a magnesium alloy lower, and a lighter barrel profile [/red]-Slim alloy rail system
-Folding charging handle
-Changeable pistol grip
-Better sized controls
-1/7" twist barrel
-Internal refinements

It's significantly different from the Bushmaster and assuming it is reliable, it has every single modern weapon-design refinement that should be in a 2015 "assault rifle". I want one, badly

ETA: I saw you mentioned the SCAR in comparison. Faults of the SCAR that the Rem ACR gets right:
-Hollow stock
-Short rail system

Point being, they may look similar, but they are different animals. But hey, at least you can buy the SCAR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heh?
-Almost 1LB lighter by doing away with the silly tool-less quick change barrel system and going to a more practical LMT style method, using a magnesium alloy lower, and a lighter barrel profile [/red]-Slim alloy rail system
-Folding charging handle
-Changeable pistol grip
-Better sized controls
-1/7" twist barrel
-Internal refinements

-Hollow stock
-Short rail system

Rem lists the ACR as 7lbs 14oz on their website: 14.5 Weapon, Base rifle – 7lbs 14oz. The Bush ACR weighs about 8.2lbs, that's only about a 5.2oz difference. It sounds like Rem just removed and/or swapped some parts to "refine" it. I do like the ACR ergos overall, but damn its front heavy. I believe Rem said they would do commercial sales ONLY if it becomes a Mil/LE success... so we'll see if those changes are enough to make it.

As for the SCAR points I have no issues with the stock, sights or reciprocating CH. Yes, the rail feels a little on the short side, and if you shoot with your elbow blocking your peripheral vision, I can see the length of it being an issue with that shooting style.

I use BFG wire loops for sling mounting.  

And the SCAR (7lbs 4 oz) still comes in almost a pound lighter (10oz) than the Rem ACR based on Remington's own specs. I'll take the weight savings over anything the Remington ACR offers. I admit, is a better looking rifle though.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#28]
That 14.5" weight is a heavier profile barrel. The 16" ACR shown at shot has a weight comparable to the SCAR (which also has a lighter profile, remember).
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#29]
What is the weight of their new showpiece?

All the Rem ACR pics I've seen already appear to have a very close to LW barrel profile, like a SCARs, so I presume the listed weight remains accurate.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What is the weight of their new showpiece?

All the Rem ACR pics I've seen already appear to have a very close to LW barrel profile, like a SCARs, so I presume the listed weight remains accurate.
View Quote

Right at 7lbs with sliding stock, folding stock adds a bit more weight but it is a much more robust folding stock than what's on the SCAR
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I am hoping with the price dropping on the ACR it will cause more interest in the platform. In turn causing more aftermarket support.

That is why I bought one. $2000 I couldn't see. $1500 I was all over them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 4:36:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Has nobody mentioned the Fax on ARAK for an alternative? Quick change barrel, piston driven,  uses ar15 lower.
http://faxonfirearms.com/arak-21-upper-receiver/
View Quote

I was going to mention this. I really dig the ARAK. It's, in my opinion, one of the absolute best uppers out there for the AR15. It's robust, reliable, and you don't need to run a buffer tube so you can mount a side folding stock if that's your thing. Tons of barrel options from the manufacturer as well.

However, if you're not wanting just an upgraded AR then the FN SCAR or Robinson Arms XCR would be your best bets.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I second the Robinson
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm guessing the temporary price drop on the ACR that Bud's was offering is over.  I see the price back up to $1,997.00.  Not really sure what Bushmaster's plan is to sell these rifles, I can't imagine they are selling too many at $2k.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:53:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm guessing the temporary price drop on the ACR that Bud's was offering is over.  I see the price back up to $1,997.00.  Not really sure what Bushmaster's plan is to sell these rifles, I can't imagine they are selling too many at $2k.
View Quote

Nope.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/76040/Bushmaster+90847+ACR+30%2B1+223REM5.56NATO+16.5%22+Coyote

But Grabagun has the best price right now that I've found if you plan on using a credit card.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:01:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I am hoping with the price dropping on the ACR it will cause more interest in the platform. In turn causing more aftermarket support.

That is why I bought one. $2000 I couldn't see. $1500 I was all over them.
View Quote

I was never really interested in them until I happened to stumble upon the lower price point.

I really want the aftermarket to pick up too. I hope bushmaster gets its' act together regarding support for the platform (barrels). Hopefully Remington actually releases their version of the ACR too. The RemDef ACR is what most of us actually want. I don't think they're really selling any of them in the leo/gov market, so the civilian market is really their saving grace.

It would be so awesome if Geissele did a limited run of rails/handguards. They already make the Super ACR trigger, which I hope to pick up soon.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I used that "make offer" button on mine from Bud's. Ended up getting it for $1485. Shipping would have been free but I added insurance,  that made it $15. But I had to mail them a money order to get it for that price.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Big +1 on wanting Geissele to make a handguard.

Never seen a more hated rifle than the ACR. And 99 percent of the hate has nothing to do with the rifle. It's all about Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Big +1 on wanting Geissele to make a handguard.

Never seen a more hated rifle than the ACR. And 99 percent of the hate has nothing to do with the rifle. It's all about Bushmaster.
View Quote
Actual technical problems with the rifle itself are pretty small:

1: M4 cut barrel is fuckin' 'tarded.

2: The whole "folding stock engages the safety" thing

3: No mag-stop in the upper

4: The QD Barrel nut could use refinement

5: upper wear from charging handle

Apart from that, they're mostly great guns. People's big gripes, like the price, lack of support/aftermarket/conversion kits is all on Shrubmaster.

I still kind of want another one, but considering I can run 300BLK subs out of the box on an MCX means, well, SIG is gonna get my money.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't think shooting with the stock folded is hindered in any way. Is it? I've never heard of that issue.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I don't think shooting with the stock folded is hindered in any way. Is it? I've never heard of that issue.
View Quote
Not shooting.

I've seen some vids where the rifle, on safe, can be put on "fire" by the folding stock.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#42]
SDrake100, thanks for posting the link to Buds, when I went directly to the site and searched for ACR I saw a different price.  Thanks for setting me straight and making the low price easier to find.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
SDrake100, thanks for posting the link to Buds, when I went directly to the site and searched for ACR I saw a different price.  Thanks for setting me straight and making the low price easier to find.
View Quote

No problem. Did you end up getting one?
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#44]

Jeeper21

I believe Rem said they would do commercial sales ONLY if it becomes a Mil/LE success...
View Quote

Oh god, the stupidity.

Sometimes I wonder how in the hell companies like Remington manage to stay afloat after so many stupid decisions that regard screwing over the Civilian market. No Law Enforcement Agency or Military would ever want to adopt the ACR. Remington better be getting a corporate restructuring and new management soon or else they will go the way of Colt.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Oh god, the stupidity.

Sometimes I wonder how in the hell companies like Remington manage to stay afloat after so many stupid decisions that regard screwing over the Civilian market. No Law Enforcement Agency or Military would ever want to adopt the ACR. Remington better be getting a corporate restructuring and new management soon or else they will go the way of Colt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Jeeper21

I believe Rem said they would do commercial sales ONLY if it becomes a Mil/LE success...

Oh god, the stupidity.

What makes you say that...source?
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#46]
For you guys that own an ACR, I've made a request with Bill Geissele in the industry section to suggest that he consider making a handguard. Please be respectful but if he's going to consider it, he needs genuine input and owners to sound off.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 12:27:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
For you guys that own an ACR, I've made a request with Bill Geissele in the industry section to suggest that he consider making a handguard. Please be respectful but if he's going to consider it, he needs genuine input and owners to sound off.
View Quote

Going there now.

ETA: posted there. Also started a thread with a link on ACRforum.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 2:19:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Does anybody here have any idea how many ACRs have been produced since they were released to the public by Bushmaster and/or Remington?
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Going there now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going there now.

Thanks to all who posted and continue to motivate Bill. It looks very possible that the input given will be viable enough for him to produce something in the near future. Time will tell but please subscribe to the thread and monitor the conversations!
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Also guys, please contact Handl Defense. They were willing to consider doing limited runs of rails and lowers if there was enough interest. Please send them an email at [email protected] and/or send them a message via facebook.

If there was enough interest, they may also consider doing magnesium lowers! It's an exciting time for the ACR!

Handl Defense does excellent work supporting the SCAR, and it would be invaluable to have their support for the ACR.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top