Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/4/2014 11:59:57 PM EDT
Mossberg

Seems like this guy thinks so long as his gun is 26.5" he's good to go.  Yet the video is up, and all the comments are about how everyone wants to do what this guy did.  

Now I've got several NFA toys, one of which is a very nice custom made AOW.  To the best of my knowledge, this guy with his unregistered 14" barrel, is basically committing a felony on youtube.

Or am I missing something here??

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Nice adaptation of a look alike magpul logo
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:16:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Interesting, so you have to buy a shotgun that's never had a buttstock on it...so a pistol grip model.  And then you can legally cut the barrel down to 14", and so long as the overall length is 26.5"...totally legal on the federal level??  

I've been shooting for quite a while and I love learning new stuff, I've just never heard of anything like this before WITHOUT needing some sort of stamp to do it.

Has this been discussed anywhere here recently or in the past?  Again, this is brand new for me.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:18:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Interesting, so you have to buy a shotgun that's never had a buttstock on it...so a pistol grip model.  And then you can legally cut the barrel down to 14", and so long as the overall length is 26.5"...totally legal on the federal level??  

I've been shooting for quite a while and I love learning new stuff, I've just never heard of anything like this before WITHOUT needing some sort of stamp to do it.

Has this been discussed anywhere here recently or in the past?  Again, this is brand new for me.

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
Its been discussed here from time to time. I am not sure if its legal but I know i wouldn't do it

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:30:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Its been discussed here from time to time. I am not sure if its legal but I know i wouldn't do it

View Quote

Why not?  I mean I can hazzard a guess.  I'm just seeing if it differs from the traditional "I wouldn't want to go through the trouble of being held/detained and educating LEO's who are uninformed" as it might apply to registered NFA items.

I've read through some of the letters on that page from the ATF.  It does indeed appear as though, so long as you buy a gun that has never had a buttstock on it, this is totally legal.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#6]
So here's another question.  Lets say I've got a shotgun or I buy a shotgun....but it's used.  It CAME with a pistol grip on it from wherever I got it, but I have no way of knowing if it ever had a stock on it...is that ok?  Is there any way to tell whether it was a PGO gun from the factory??  Does the Cruiser or JIC gun have ANY markings on it?

Obviously the 88 Mavericks never came with a pistol grip only...unfortunately because I have a BUNCH of those.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a shotgun forum, just below this one a bit in fact, where this has been discussed before
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#8]
It must never have had a shoulder stock.
Buy one new.

Here's mine. I chopped the barrel down even with the mag tube:
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Perfectly legal,because it doesn't meet the definition of an SBS or AOW.  

I wish that Mossberg sold them that way, would make it very easy for a form 1 project.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I wish that Mossberg sold them that way, would make it very easy for a form 1 project.
View Quote

If you chop an 18.5" barrel, it's cheaper than replacing the front end.
You also retain 5+1 capacity. The 14" front end is only 4+1.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

True.  I've got a form 1 for an 870 right now though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait...I thought a 14" would be 5+1 no?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Nope.
Shorter mag tube.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well they do sell the Cruiser that you can just take a saw to.  No clue hot to properly re-align/drill/screw in the front bead though....or did you mean you wish mossy sold the 14"?  That would probably open them up to all sorts of trouble for the idiots that think it's ok to put a shoulder stock on it without a stamp.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nope.
Shorter mag tube.
View Quote

Oh ok, I'll have to watch the clip again.  I could have sworn that guy had 5 in the tube.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well they do sell the Cruiser that you can just take a saw to.  No clue hot to properly re-align/drill/screw in the front bead though....or did you mean you wish mossy sold the 14"?  That would probably open them up to all sorts of trouble for the idiots that think it's ok to put a shoulder stock on it without a stamp.  

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-Emt1581

Yep just buy the 14" barrel firearm.  Form 1 and throw a stock on.  I'm sure you'd have plenty of people not do it legally, but it isn't any different than somebody illegally making an SBR.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Form 1...so you're going the SBS route.  I love my AOW!! Custom made and custom made thigh/back/pack rig for it.  Holds 16rds on board as well!!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#18]
legal shotgun up here, maybe he is a canuck?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Form 1...so you're going the SBS route.  I love my AOW!! Custom made and custom made thigh/back/pack rig for it.  Holds 16rds on board as well!!

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

Pic?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pic?
View Quote

There's one in the AOW forum.  Plus I think I (or someone else) put one up of the holster a month or two ago.  

I don't have them handy on this computer though.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Oh ok, I'll have to watch the clip again.  I could have sworn that guy had 5 in the tube.

Thanks

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.
Shorter mag tube.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Nope, I was right.  His gun is 26.5 and he shows 5 in the tube.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.
Shorter mag tube.

Thanks

-Emt1581

-Emt1581

Nice. I've read differently in the past.
I wonder if the difference is between a 500 or 590 front end?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Yeah, legal on a Fed level, but lots of states have their own laws about SBSs. It's not kosher here in Colorado, or Virginia. You'd want to very carefully check your own state laws before doing this.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

This was where I learned of it:
http://http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=410335
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Archives irritate me.  But I'll read through it more later.  The guy on the second page that posted a pic with the 28" barrel seems like he may have gone against the law by using a gun that came with a shoulder stock attached.  I've never seen a pistol gripped shotgun come with a 28" barrel from the factory.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Maybe it was one of those combo guns that came with the pistol grip installed.

You have to fill out the 4473 as an "other" much like an AR receiver.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Maybe it was one of those combo guns that came with the pistol grip installed.

You have to fill out the 4473 as an "other" much like an AR receiver.
View Quote

Even if it came with both the pistol and shoulder...as most mossbergs do, they still come with the shoulder stock installed which immediately disqualifies them.  That's why I asked earlier if there was any way to tell a Cruiser from a regular 500.  Because if it's just a matter of never using the shoulder stock, no problem...just take it off and use it elsewhere.  But if the receiver can literally never have had a shoulder stock...almost like it contaminates the gun somehow...that means you need to buy a pistol gripped model factory new which seems like a $100+ game of semantics.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#28]
^^correct above^^
These are "firearms".
A "firearm" made from a shotgun is an AOW.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#29]
This is the cheapest I've found but how hard are those heat shields to remove?

Mossberg Cruiser

At that price it'll be around $304 out the door plus the Shockwave grip.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This is the cheapest I've found but how hard are those heat shields to remove?

Mossberg Cruiser

At that price it'll be around $304 out the door plus the Shockwave grip.

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

That's the same model I started with.
Keep the heat shield. In my opinion, it's necessary due to the stance while hip-firing.
You can add a Laserlyte tri rail and it comes with longer screws to mount in conjunction with the shield.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So here's another question.  Lets say I've got a shotgun or I buy a shotgun....but it's used.  It CAME with a pistol grip on it from wherever I got it, but I have no way of knowing if it ever had a stock on it...is that ok?  Is there any way to tell whether it was a PGO gun from the factory??  Does the Cruiser or JIC gun have ANY markings on it?

Obviously the 88 Mavericks never came with a pistol grip only...unfortunately because I have a BUNCH of those.

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

If you wanted to build this gun, you would want to tread VERY carefully. YES it is legal (disclaimer- I am not a lawyer and I am not giving legal advice) BUT you would want to make sure that you could document in every way that it is legal. I would only build one with a "new-in-the-box" PGO shotgun and I would keep the receipt and even all the original box labeling indicating the configuration in which it left the factory. I would make sure you installed the correct grip (for required OAL) before you cut the barrel (take pictures) so it could never be argued that you were ever in possession of an unregistered SBS or AOW even for a moment. In addition, I would download online copies of every ATF letter supporting what you have done and keep it handy when you are travelling with your creation. If you ever have interaction with a LEO while in possession of one of these, you will probably have some explaining to do despite its legal status.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Not legal in Texas.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

They do.  They are sold as an AOW.

How do I know, because I have one.  It even says "AOW" in the model number from Mossberg.  It did NOT come with a grip installed or provided.  It had a 14" barrel factory installed.

The Non-NFA thing is BS.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The Non-NFA thing is BS.
View Quote

It's not BS, it's a legal loophole.

Your AOW didn't come with a grip? Ever wonder why?

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:  Not legal in Texas.
View Quote

I agree w/ you, but seemingly there's an ongoing lawsuit on that.  Hopefully it will resolve in our favor on sound legal grounds.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I agree w/ you, but seemingly there's an ongoing lawsuit on that.  Hopefully it will resolve in our favor on sound legal grounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Where is the lawsuit taking place? Who are the plaintiffs?

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Non-NFA thing is BS.

In my opinion, and consistent with the way I define the term "loophole", this is not an example of a loophole.

It is an example of the silliness of some of our laws.

The congressman who voted for the NFA would never have considered what we think today as being right, but time moves on, and lawyers can define things differently than us regular citizens.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Something I've been trying to find is a vid showing how to install a bead (front sight) on a NON-ribbed barrel.  Anyone ever see such a how-to?

My concern is making sure it's centered and not going all the way through.  I know Brownells and Midway sell a tapping kit but, again, that's for barrels with ribbing.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Texas.  Texans.  

Someone posted in a thread about sub 18" Title 1 non-shotguns, and mentioned it.  Don't have a link, sorry.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Something I've been trying to find is a vid showing how to install a bead (front sight) on a NON-ribbed barrel.  Anyone ever see such a how-to?

My concern is making sure it's centered and not going all the way through.  I know Brownells and Midway sell a tapping kit but, again, that's for barrels with ribbing.

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

Major manufacturers don't concern themselves with the hole for the bead going all of the way through the barrel.  It is common practice.  100 % of the barrels I have looked at were that way.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Gotta keep up man.
Rem factory PGO 870 I bought specifically for this project. Kept the label with the serial/model number and a printed copy of the ATF explaination that this is not a shotgun. No SBS in WA  
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Nope.
Shorter mag tube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Nope.
Shorter mag tube.

Nope. A factory Mossberg 14" gun is a 5+1. I have one sitting right next to me loaded up so I could verify.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Major manufacturers don't concern themselves with the hole for the bead going all of the way through the barrel.  It is common practice.  100 % of the barrels I have looked at were that way.
View Quote

Well, I went and checked my other Mossy's and sure enough, they all have the bead hole going through the barrel.  So I guess it's ok.  I just figured the pellets going through would knock it out.  

So the next issue is how to get it centered.  Any ideas?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Nope. A factory Mossberg 14" gun is a 5+1. I have one sitting right next to me loaded up so I could verify.
View Quote

Yeah. I was corrected earlier.
Mossberg lists it as 4+1 but, that is for 3" shells.
You can fit five 2.75" shells. But you already know that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Archives irritate me.
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=410335
Then change the URL from "archives" to "forums".
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Archives irritate me.

Cool, thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well, I went and checked my other Mossy's and sure enough, they all have the bead hole going through the barrel.  So I guess it's ok.  I just figured the pellets going through would knock it out.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

The shot should be enclosed in the plastic wad. Even if it isn't, as long as the bead does not protrude into the barrel you won't ever have a problem.

Now to get it centered. Brownell's sells a V-Block with a punch and level that marks Top Dead Center of the barrel, as long as you have the barrel leveled in the first place. Then put the barrel in a vise, leveled, and use a milling machine or drill press to drill and tap the hole. If you plan to do it by hand, good luck.

Pay a gunsmith or machine shop to drill and tap it for you if you don't have the equipment. It shouldn't cost you more than $45 at the most. Here is a price list for Mike Orlen, who is well known for his high end shotgun barrel work. He restores antique shotgun barrels for many of the top gunsmiths.

Mike Orlen Price List
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The shot should be enclosed in the plastic wad. Even if it isn't, as long as the bead does not protrude into the barrel you won't ever have a problem.

Now to get it centered. Brownell's sells a V-Block with a punch and level that marks Top Dead Center of the barrel, as long as you have the barrel leveled in the first place. Then put the barrel in a vise, leveled, and use a milling machine or drill press to drill and tap the hole. If you plan to do it by hand, good luck.

Pay a gunsmith or machine shop to drill and tap it for you if you don't have the equipment. It shouldn't cost you more than $45 at the most. Here is a price list for Mike Orlen, who is well known for his high end shotgun barrel work. He restores antique shotgun barrels for many of the top gunsmiths.

Mike Orlen Price List
View Quote

The Brownell's kit I saw was only for ribbed barrels.  

I thought about the gun smith route.  But it seems like something that shouldn't be overly hard to do once finding center.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I thought about the gun smith route.  But it seems like something that shouldn't be overly hard to do once finding center.

Thanks

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mike Orlen Price List

Thanks

-Emt1581

It's easy to do with the right equipment. Here is the punch for non-ribbed barrels: TDC Punch

If you use a milling machine you don't need it. Just indicate the barrel level, use an edge finder to find the side of the vise and move over half the thickness of the barrel. If your setup was correct you will be perfectly centered. But if you plan to do this by hand you are going to be off center, guaranteed. Then you will be paying someone to TIG weld in the hole, file it smooth, drill and tap, then finish the barrel.

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's easy to do with the right equipment. Here is the punch for non-ribbed barrels: TDC Punch

If you use a milling machine you don't need it. Just indicate the barrel level, use an edge finder to find the side of the vise and move over half the thickness of the barrel. If your setup was correct you will be perfectly centered. But if you plan to do this by hand you are going to be off center, guaranteed. Then you will be paying someone to TIG weld in the hole, file it smooth, drill and tap, then finish the barrel.

View Quote

Thanks for the link and the info!!

I have a friend who can do machining.  I'll throw the problem in his lap and see if he can help.

This PGO gun is definitely going to be my winter project.  By spring I should have a nice compliment to my AOW.

Thanks again!

-Emt1581
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top