Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2014 11:40:41 AM EDT
I bought a Colt R6601 Sporter Match HBAR circa 1994 for about $1,200. I discovered that it wasn't very compatible with other rifles, due to the weird sized FCG pins, the sear block and (possibly) the front pivot pin being a different size than standard, and that the unshrouded C carrier could be problematic as well. The seller said that it had 40 rounds through it, which I believe because it's in great condition.

Here's my dillema: I don't want to shoot it because I'm not sure if I want to keep it or if I want to sell it and get something more standardized. The rear take down pin is .250, but I don't know if the other pins are standard, and I don't want to remove the pins to check because if I do decide to sell it I don't want to mar it up. Maybe I should just buy extra pins and adapters to make it as compatible as possible? So, what would you guys do, love it or list it?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I owned a few cheap AR's and then sold them all after the Newtown shooting in favor of a less bannable rifle. Recently I thought better of it and decided to get another AR, with the main reason being that I wanted a rifle that was compatible with other rifles and easy to work on. I decided that instead of getting another bargain rifle I was going to get a keeper. I only did the minimum amount of homework and decided to go the no-brainer route by buying a Colt, specifically a R6601, Sporter Match HBAR circa 1994, for about $1,200. Obviously I soon learned (but not soon enough) that this was not going to satisfy my desire for a rifle that was compatible with other rifles, due to the weird sized FCG pins, the sear block and (possibly) the front pivot pin being a different size than standard. The seller said that it had 40 rounds through it, which is hard to believe about a 20 year old rifle, but this thing is pretty much mint, so if it was more than 40 it wasn't much more than 40. Here's my quandry: I don't want to shoot it because I'm not sure if I want to keep it or if I want to sell it and get something with standard sized pins and no sear block. I don't know if the front pivot pins are .250 or .310, and I don't want to unscrew the pin to find out because like I said, this thing is in immaculate condition and I don't want to mar it up, likewise with the FCG pins. I don't want to rip up the flower beds just to check on how the roots are growing, so to speak. On the other hand, maybe I should just buy extra pins and adapters to make it as compatible as possible, and maybe have a competent gunsmith remove or grind down the sear block to make the receiver compatible with all bolt carriers. Oh, and that's the other thing, it has the controversial C carrier with the unshrouded firing pin, so there's one more reason I might want to wash my hands of the whole thing and start over with something more universal. So, what would you guys do, love it or list it?
View Quote

Sear block in lower receiver is only a concern if you expect to ever install a RDIAS, which at $15K per copy plus tax stamp these days, isn't likely. Bolt carriers are not expensive and fit right in your upper. Your hammer & trigger pins limit - somewhat - options for add-ons, but the originals were designed and manufactured for a lifetime of hard use, so what's the issue? Keep your gun, sell your gun, as you please, but there's no debilitating weakness in the way it's configured. Don't worry, be happy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing to add? Don't post - Eric802
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I saw how long ur post was and immediately hit the back button. Get some sleep bro.
View Quote
That was extremely insightful.
OP if I were in your shoes, I would sell it and pick up a 6920. There are plenty of guys in ban states who would jump on that, so moving it on shouldn't be an issue.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Edited...VA-gunnut
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:41:38 AM EDT
[#5]
After spending $1,200 to buy it I don't even think I can afford to install bullets, never mind an RDIAS! Thanks, I hadn't thought of it that way. If I was to get one of the trigger/hammer adapter kits would I be able to swap parts with standard sized AR's?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:42:42 AM EDT
[#6]
First post here, I amended the text to be briefer, since there were a few comments about the length.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:44:04 AM EDT
[#7]
So, guys in ban states can buy pre-ban rifles? I know in CA if you didn't have it when the ban went into effect you were prohibited from buying them, or at least that what I thought it was. Other states are different?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:44:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Text abbreviated.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:27:21 AM EDT
[#9]
The front pin should be .250 I own two 94 era Colt preban's. I swapped out the front screw pivot pin with a mil-spec push pin,spring and detent for about 8 bucks.
I also installed a Geissele DMR and S3G in them. Large 0.169 FCG pins or not really a big deal. Now the sear blocks are a little bit of a PITA I had to remove one completely for the DMR trigger and I shaved the top of one down if you take your time it will look factory. I replaced the cut carriers with Colt M16 bolt carriers
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw how long ur post was and immediately hit the back button. Get some sleep bro.
View Quote
That was extremely insightful.

OP if I were in your shoes, I would sell it and pick up a 6920. There are plenty of guys in ban states who would jump on that, so moving it on shouldn't be an issue.

View Quote

That is exactly what I did with old HBAR. I hated the large FCG pins and the double screw front take down pin ='s Goofy!. I sold it to someone in a ban state for a little less than I paid for it and got a Spikes M4gery that I turned into a Recce... I couldn't have been happier...
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#12]
If it was built before Sept. 13, 1994, it's worth quite a bit to someone in Connecticut and possibly Massachusetts as well.  I know for sure preban rifles are transferable in CT.  If you don't like the rifle you could probably sell it for enough to build yourself exactly what you want.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If it was built before Sept. 13, 1994, it's worth quite a bit to someone in Connecticut and possibly Massachusetts as well.  I know for sure preban rifles are transferable in CT.  If you don't like the rifle you could probably sell it for enough to build yourself exactly what you want.  

View Quote

Doesn't Maryland also have an HBAR only restriction now as well? I'd say help those behind enemy lines, score a 6920, and dump the rest of the $$$ on hookers and blow. I mean ammo. Or whichever combination of the 3 vices you prefer
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
First post here, I amended the text to be briefer, since there were a few comments about the length.
View Quote

Don't worry about the posts where people complain about the length of the post. They obviously have nothing to contribute. The people who actually know their shit will still help you.

As for your rifle, you won't have many options when it comes to switching things out, but it's still a decent gun in its current configuration. If you want a rifle you can build into other configurations I'd sell it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Sell it......it's what you really want to do
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP, next time you make a wall of text post, please make use of the enter key.
View Quote

That's all you have to add to the OP's inquiry is some smart-assed comment about him/her hitting the enter key so it's easier for you to read?  What are you, some sort of douche bag who can't post something useful???

OP -

Sell the rifle to someone in a ban-state, pick up a BCM, Colt, etc.. and call it a day.  And avoid pinheads like numbnutz above...
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't worry about the posts where people complain about the length of the post. They obviously have nothing to contribute. The people who actually know their shit will still help you.

As for your rifle, you won't have many options when it comes to switching things out, but it's still a decent gun in its current configuration.
If you want a rifle you can build into other configurations I'd sell it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As for your rifle, you won't have many options when it comes to switching things out, but it's still a decent gun in its current configuration.
If you want a rifle you can build into other configurations I'd sell it.

My HBAR was a true 1moa rifle; and that is my only regret for selling it. Other than that, It was long and heavy for an AR, it would be a little difficult to mod with the odd pin holes, high shelf receiver, takedown pins, carry handle, etc, etc. I sold mine to someone in Illinois, (it was legal then but who the fuck knows now in that Nazi ran state), who really wanted an AR but his options were extremely limited. I sure as hell didn't gouge him (treat others as you want to be treated and all...), he was happy as hell, I sure was glad to get something standard that I could modify with upgrades, rails, GSSA triggers, optics, etc... We both won in the situation... Sell that rifle to someone who will just be happy to have an AR and know you did something good for a fellow brother/sister in arms, and get yourself something standard you can easily work with...
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As for your rifle, you won't have many options when it comes to switching things out, but it's still a decent gun in its current configuration. If you want a rifle you can build into other configurations I'd sell it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of weird that is enforced so selectively though. I guess it pays to be one of the cool kids
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's all you have to add to the OP's inquiry is some smart-assed comment about him/her hitting the enter key so it's easier for you to read?  What are you, some sort of douche bag who can't post something useful???

OP -

Sell the rifle to someone in a ban-state, pick up a BCM, Colt, etc.. and call it a day.  And avoid pinheads like numbnutz above...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, next time you make a wall of text post, please make use of the enter key.

OP -

I would be carefull, this seems to be a protected/special person. You may be banned for this
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I purchased  a big trigger pin, sear block, C carrier, non - threaded,  no bayo lug MT6601 new in 1997 for $750. By the mid 2000's I was ready to do something different...but I could not sell my upper. M4gerys were all the rage at the time. Instead,  I made what I wanted out of it.

Purists hate it. I love it. There isn't much love for Hbar A2's...and this configuration is perfect as far as my preferences and uses are concerned.  It's a real sleeper, as well.

It has several thousand rounds through it, but internally it looks no different than my AR's with only a few hundred.

There's always options.  I used my imagination.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a rifle like that back in the day. You could get "non standard" FCG but your choices were limited compared to mil spec groups. I wound up putting in an adapter (it was more or less just a bushing with an off center hole) so that I could use standard uppers.

The carrier is a non issue, any carrier will fit, and the block wasn't an issue for me, I am not allowed to have DIAS

From what I understand there are some stated that only allow "pre ban" rifles, if you want to sell it I would look to one of those then get a 6920 or whatever AR model appeals to you
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:26:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Sell it to someone in a ban state that would love to own it for a tidy profit. Win-win.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Sold it to GlenKar, I don't believe I gouged him to death, and bought a PSA lower. The finishes are way far apart, and I miss seeing my little horsey, but I've got the compatibility I want, and he gets a receiver he can use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top