Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/21/2009 2:03:35 PM EDT
Alright, I'm excited to say my scar finally came today. I have been on a pre-order list since november 5th, and didn't think my rifle would ever arrive. First off, let me say that the rifle is really light. That is the very first thought that popped into my head as I picked it up. I don't have exact numbers, but it is a good bit lighter than my colt 6920, even when I have the aimpoint on the scar. Next up is the finish, as you already know, it isn't picture perfect. There are still three different colors on the rifle, but when in natural light these color variations are hardly noticable. Next is the trigger pull. It is almost an exact replica of my colt 6920's pull, and in my opinion the perfect pull weight for a combat carbine. There is a slight amount of creep, and then all of a sudden you hear the hammer drop. The safety selector is an improvement of the ar's as it takes hardly any motion to flip it into the fire position. One of the negatives in my opinion is the length of pull when the stock is fully extended. I feel it is a little short, especially for the larger stature guys when firing from the prone position. The cheek piece is comfortable, and gives a good cheek weld when using irons or the aimpoint. The irons on the rifle are a little iffy in my opinion. The front seems very stout, but the rear seems as if it could be knocked around and possibly lose the zero. The windage knob on the rear is platic, but there is windage adjustment on both the front and rear sights. Front and rear sights are also elevation adjustable with the rear being graduated from 100-600 yard or meters, I'm not sure which. Next up is the charging handle, it has it's own pros and cons, it is very large and easy to grab, but it is located somewhat close the top rail, and when my aimpoint was mounted seemed to be a little tougher operate. My rifle did come test fired from the factory with what looks to be m855 rounds due to some green build up at the chamber. The lubrication in it was some sort of oil, not any grease like has been mentioned in previous threads on this forum. One last major point is that in my rifle NO MAGAZINES DROP FREE. Not the metal one included with the rifle nor any of my gi mags I have. Pmags will seat in the gun, but it is really dificult to get them in, and once in, removal is even tougher than inserting them.
Next up is disassembly. I was suprised at how easy it was. My first time I had a slight hang up while trying to get the bolt carrier out of the reciever, but that was solved by pulling strait down on it. A quick side note, it seems that there are a good many plastic parts on the internals of the gun, such as the operating spring rod, and the plate that holds this in the gun. The trigger group is pretty simple, and looks to be a reliable design. When removed, the buttstock is one heavy peice, it wieghs more than the reciever and barrel combination once stripped down. Once again this is just hand feel and not scientific weights. The bolt and bolt carrier are some very sturdy looking and feeling pieces. The bolt is huge when compared to the Ar's bolt. The bolt is removed easily from the bolt carrier, and also holds the huge extractor. Re-assembly is also a very easy task. It is the eact opposite of disassembly, and there doesn't appear to be any wrong way to assemble the gun. So far, I have not shot the gun, but I am planning to in the near future. I had thought about possibly reselling this once I got it, but now that I have it I plan to hold on to it and try to wear it out. My overall impressions are very good so far. If you have any questions or request, feel free to ask. I know what it's like to have to wait for your rifle to arrive. Now here are the pics:

Extended buttstocks

Closed buttstocks

Chamber

Trigger group

Bolt face

Scar disassembled

Ar vs Scar trigger group

Ar and Scar disassembled

Bolt carrier groups

Ar vs Scar bolt face

Scar bolt carrier group disassembled
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Now all we need from you is a range report.
- Nice rifles you have there.
- I have handled neither but the Scar looks more "Comfortable" to hold, and the AR looks more maneuverable.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I know the SCAR stock has more adjustable options, but does it really have to be so bulky/ugly?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, added length is of course, because it's a folder that has to have a 16" barrel. Damn NFA.

If you can I'd SBR that sucker back to the 14.5" barrel length if FNH ever sells any.

That's odd that your magazine isn't dropping free.

I have to imagine that something must be wrong since I can imagine SOCOM requesting a rifle that didn't have drop free magazines.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with you about the looks of the scar's buttstock, that they aren't the most appealing, but when handling the rifle you don't notice the bulk of the stock. That was one something that I didn't notice during my initial handling of the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice. Congrats on the new rifle!

The carrier to bolt mass ratio must be pretty damn good from the looks of it.  Similar to or greater  than the AK which should translate into increased reliability in extreme conditions. Any chance of getting a weight on those components?

Regards,

T
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Very nice. I like the Scar's design alot. From the receiver and how the carrier slides, to the gas system and furniture.
It should be an extremely functional and easy to care for rifle from the looks of it.

Time to throw that piece of crap AR in the trash.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
A FNC and M4 had kids and that popped out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'll be nice and take out the trash.

No offense meant to the SCAR, but I just can't see it being that much greater than say, an XCR. At least to me, there's not more appeal to it.

Oh yeah, range report, stat.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense meant to the SCAR, but I just can't see it being that much greater than say, an XCR. At least to me, there's not more appeal to it.

how bout the fact that it isnt a boat anchor?  that appeals to me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people don't care alot of times. Righties mainly, but the Scar's more ambidextrous from charging handle to safety. That makes it more versatile and easier to use for not only righties but lefties besides, which I am.
The Scar's selector/safety is also designed to not as straight and long switch, same as an ambi AR selector, and not positioned, leaving it facing down and rubbing the top of your palm in semi. That's a step forward in weapons design as this is an ambi world. The charging handle side switchable lets the user move it to the side they prefer and works best for them too. I know the left side charging handle of the XCR is a huge con for me.
Rifles and pistols without ambi designs today are behind the curve. It's one reason I didn't consider the XCR when I bought my last 5.56x45mm rifle which was a POF 16 inch and another why I decided to sell the POF off and forget AR's. The POF wouldn't accept an ambi charging handle either without routing it out becuase of the thickness of the op rod catch on the carrier. The AR's charging handle has always been in a horrible spot to me, but atleast an ambi handle can make it more useable.  

If as times goes on and the dumbasses don't piss on our heads more by getting some sort of ban through that prohibits me from getting one and the price is right when I have the change to, I'll be looking at picking up either a Scar or an ACR if it's out then.
Did I mention that both there stocks are designed more versatile and proprietary out of the box too with cheek weld adjust besides LOP?

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Considering the two weigh within 2-3oz of each other, if the XCR is a boat anchor, so is the SCAR.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering the two weigh within 2-3oz of each other, if the XCR is a boat anchor, so is the SCAR.

http://home.comcast.net/~firearmspics/XCRvsSCAR2.jpg

then I guess the OP's claims that it weighs less than a 6920 are BS.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Total BS. It isnt even close. The 6920 only weighs 5.95 lbs bare.

Obviously the SCAR has a rail system, still, the SCAR is like 1.5lbs heavier than a stock 6920.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Total BS. It isnt even close. The 6920 only weighs 5.95 lbs bare.

Obviously the SCAR has a rail system, still, the SCAR is like 1.5lbs heavier than a stock 6920.

makes sense.  thanks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow....no offense but the SCAR is hideous....and not in a SIG AMT/PE-57 it's so ugly it's beautiful kind of way.

The SCAR is the Pontiac Aztec of firearms.

I'm sure it's a great performer, but man, FN used to make pretty guns....what happened???
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wow....no offense but the SCAR is hideous....and not in a SIG AMT/PE-57 it's so ugly it's beautiful kind of way.

I'm sure it's a great performer, but man, FN used to make pretty guns....what happened???

But I'm sure you are a massada/acr lover.  They basically look almost identical IMO.  I guess if it had magpul on it the rest of the arfcom world would give their left nut for it.  I think it is a great looking rifle and I wish they weren't so overpriced so I could afford one.  Nice buy op and I hope you have fun with it!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#17]
glad you're happy.
i've seen and owned something very similar it's called the M96 by robinson arms. probably nowhere as light. happy shooting
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#18]
if you have the money, scar a good buy.  you cannot go wrong with it.

Like I said, if you had the money.   Just like me buying a SIG classic, I had the money to buy one, so I did.

You did great, and congrats!

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

7.5lb's XCR vs. 7.25 lbs SCAR

7lb's 8 ounces, vs. 7lbs 4 ounces.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 6:37:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Very nice, thanks for the breakdown and the pics, looking forward to the range report.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Besides being ugly, I HATE that the Scar has a reciprocating charging handle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Cool.  A very interesting carbine for sure.

Once you put an ambi mag release, charging handle and safety on an AR, it actually works better left handed.  The AR's bolt catch and forward assist are perfectly placed for left handed shooters.  I can't figure why they put them on the wrong side.

I do like the looks of the XCR better, but I don't understand where people get the idea that the AR-15 is some pinnacle of carbine beauty.  In comparison to an AR, the SCAR looks just fine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Anybody else think it funny that this ACR/Masada pic shows a variation using 5.56 Ak mags? The company that revolutionized AR mags with a reliable polymer mag has a variation that takes a much more expensive and often less reliable mag.

I for one am waiting for a SBR ACR in 7.62x39 that takes AK mags.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people don't care alot of times. Righties mainly, but the Scar's more ambidextrous from charging handle to safety. That makes it more versatile and easier to use for not only righties but lefties besides, which I am.
The Scar's selector/safety is also designed to not as straight and long switch, same as an ambi AR selector, and not positioned, leaving it facing down and rubbing the top of your palm in semi. That's a step forward in weapons design as this is an ambi world. The charging handle side switchable lets the user move it to the side they prefer and works best for them too. I know the left side charging handle of the XCR is a huge con for me.
Rifles and pistols without ambi designs today are behind the curve. It's one reason I didn't consider the XCR when I bought my last 5.56x45mm rifle which was a POF 16 inch and another why I decided to sell the POF off and forget AR's. The POF wouldn't accept an ambi charging handle either without routing it out becuase of the thickness of the op rod catch on the carrier. The AR's charging handle has always been in a horrible spot to me, but atleast an ambi handle can make it more useable.  

If as times goes on and the dumbasses don't piss on our heads more by getting some sort of ban through that prohibits me from getting one and the price is right when I have the change to, I'll be looking at picking up either a Scar or an ACR if it's out then.
Did I mention that both there stocks are designed more versatile and proprietary out of the box too with cheek weld adjust besides LOP?

http://homelandsecurityleader.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/masada2.jpg

Brother live in the now.

Seriously, we have no clue when and even if the ACR will come out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah, apparently someone at SOCOM liked the feature though. I'm not a fan either, but that's what they wanted.

I don't think the SCAR is ugly though. I think it's beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, apparently someone at SOCOM liked the feature though. I'm not a fan either, but that's what they wanted.

I agree, I don't believe th charging handle is a big deal. There are many firearms out there that have reciprocating charging handles and have very good reputations. If you find it gets in your way on one side, then simply swap it to the other side and it should be out of the way. Granted I have not fired mine yet, but this is my stance on the charging handle.

I also think the scar is good looking firearm. It is something unique.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Best description I've seen yet.

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#28]
The Scar looks like a bag of mashed ass holes, and I cant believe how similar its bolt group is to the G36's.....
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Why are some of you so obsessed over a firearm's appearance?

It is designed to function, not to walk down a catwalk and be photographed.

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Scar looks like a bag of mashed ass holes, and I cant believe how similar its bolt group is to the G36's.....

That was just what I was thinking...about the bolt group that is.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best description I've seen yet.

Thanks, I liked it
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't think the SCAR looks too bad... if you are female or gay, but when does the man version come out?
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 3:39:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Very nice, I like it... BUT, that plastic lower makes it look CHEAP, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:00:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was just what I was thinking...about the bolt group that is.

I thought that I had seen that carrier somewhere before...
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 5:12:31 AM EDT
[#35]
LOL, I just realized i basically have a SCAR and an XCR, except mine is called a "Daewoo"

Save for the lack of an integral railed forearm and the bolt carrier being two piece (piston arm separates form the actaul carier) it is the same rifle as both of these.  Even shotguns open the same.

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 5:41:55 AM EDT
[#36]
After all these years it's funny how much male gunowners are like bitching women. Always complaining about this pair of shoes and that one,......and how they look compared to how they feel and do the job.

I don't think the Scar's ugly, but it's a rifle and I'm more concerned about what matters to me and the money I'd spend on one, wanting to get my moneys worth.
I'm concerned about the build quality, strength of the parts and how much they will take and last. How much replacement barrels and parts will cost and how easy it will be to get them.

For camouflage and blending in, the sand brown is great if your in the desert, but I'm not or am I planning to be. I'm not sure what there further color options are but I need one in OD green. Sure, I could have one painted or take a can of Alumahyde II to the rifle, but that's not my preferred choice and what I want to pay for.

I know I would have to put a good strip of rail cover on that bottom pic rail and probably a Grip-pod between too.
After that, it's fine and as long as it does the job a 100% reliably, accurately and lasts, I'll be more than happy. Of course I would prefer the full-auto version too.

Scar's

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Frankly, there are a bunch of other guns that will do the same, so if your paying out the ass for one, it'd be nice to get something that doesn't look like a turd.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't seen very many ugly guns, truth be told.  I like the SCAR...I just don't think it's worth the asking price.  That may not be the case for others.  Happy shooting
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
After all these years it's funny how much male gunowners are like bitching women. Always complaining about this pair of shoes and that one,......and how they look compared to how they feel and do the job.

I don't think the Scar's ugly, but it's a rifle and I'm more concerned about what matters to me and the money I'd spend on one, wanting to get my moneys worth.
I'm concerned about the build quality, strength of the parts and how much they will take and last. How much replacement barrels and parts will cost and how easy it will be to get them.

For camouflage and blending in, the sand brown is great if your in the desert, but I'm not or am I planning to be. I'm not sure what there further color options are but I need one in OD green. Sure, I could have one painted or take a can of Alumahyde II to the rifle, but that's not my preferred choice and what I want to pay for.

I know I would have to put a good strip of rail cover on that bottom pic rail and probably a Grip-pod between too.
After that, it's fine and as long as it does the job a 100% reliably, accurately and lasts, I'll be more than happy. Of course I would prefer the full-auto version too.

Scar's

What is wrong with wanting to your women to looking good in addition to performing good?  It is great you can sleep with ugly women but not all of us can.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Congrats on the nice weapon.  That things just screams for a 10.5" barrel and a dye job to black.  Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Congrats on the nice weapon.  That things just screams for a 10.5" barrel and a dye job to black.  Enjoy it.

Thanks, I am hoping someone will come out with some more barrel options in the near future. Not only would I like to  sbr it, but I would like a heavier profile barrel also.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I am hoping someone will come out with some more barrel options in the near future. Not only would I like to  sbr it, but I would like a heavier profile barrel also.

I guess you could form 1 it and then get a smith to cut and thread the existing barrel if nobody comes to market with another option.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you could form 1 it and then get a smith to cut and thread the existing barrel if nobody comes to market with another option.

If I really got the sbr bug, then thats what I would do. However I don't really want to cut this barrel because of the chrome lining, and I would like to keep it in it's original form since it's what was included with the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scar's

What is wrong with wanting to your women to looking good in addition to performing good?  It is great you can sleep with ugly women but not all of us can.

I think your confused on what the comparision was.

A woman's not a rifle either.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks just fine to me. Bet it performs just fine too; but too rich for my blood.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Mother FUCKER those things are ugly. I'm sorry, I'm sure it's a great rifle and yadda yadda, but there's so many out there that do the same thing and are much cheaper and don't look like crap. I just don't see the appeal of these rifles at all.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 3:23:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Cool rifle.  Thanks for the comparison!
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 6:13:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Want. I'd pick one up right now if I could find one for MSRP, but I'm not paying $4k for one. So I'll probably never get one since FN doesn't seem to be producing them fast enough to even begin keeping up with demand.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You pay $4500 for a rifle that looks like a pile of radioactive gorilla shit that doesn't perform any better than other, better looking, and cheaper options.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#50]
m1ajunkie

Would you mind posting close up pictures of the gas regulator assembly and the gas piston?  How similar is the gas regulator to the FS2000?  Does the piston come out the front?

Thanks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top