Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2017 5:36:33 PM EDT
Has anyone been rejected for using the old 2003 form instead of the new 2015 form.

I just got done doing 12 forms and now realize there is a new form out.

I'm being lazy, and don't want to start over, at least for this year.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The current one is actually Revised August 2016.

I have an Excel version that will make your life so much easier. Are you filing 12 forms? Or forms for 12 items? (Or maybe a different number of firearms, but multiple states?)

I can't imagine the old one being rejected since it's all the same info.
View Quote
Where did you get the Excel version?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The current one is actually Revised August 2016.

I have an Excel version that will make your life so much easier. Are you filing 12 forms? Or forms for 12 items? (Or maybe a different number of firearms, but multiple states?)

I can't imagine the old one being rejected since it's all the same info.
View Quote
Thanks for your feedback, I will try and find a pdf fillable form dated August 16.

Two years of not shooting due to knee replacements... I am so far out of the loop.  

9 items to two different locations.

I thought I was good to go with only changing the dates on some older forms.  I use the old one this year and update next year.

Again,
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Being a perfectionist is a lot of work.

I started over and used the last version of the form I could find.

Thanks for all of the input.

I really like the 11 item form.  Would make everyone's life easy if ATF would adopt that.

The NFA FAQ says they still take letters, but I'm read that they do not?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Being a perfectionist is a lot of work.

I started over and used the last version of the form I could find.

Thanks for all of the input.

I really like the 11 item form.  Would make everyone's life easy if ATF would adopt that.

The NFA FAQ says they still take letters, but I'm read that they do not?
View Quote
I think if you send them a letter, they will send it back to you with a blank 5320.20 form and instructions to complete the form and return. 
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The form used to say that, but I think it's gone. Even when it did, they'd send the letter back with a blank 5320.20 for you to fill out and return.

I've had multiple people use mine and haven't gotten any feedback that it's been rejected. They'll also take one form, with a list of additional firearms attached (based on what others have reported recently, but I've never tried it).
View Quote
Now that I have migrated everything to the new form, it won't be too bad next year.

Do you guys print the form two sided with the instructions on the back??  Or am I just overthinking it??  All these years since pdf forms, I have always have printed the instructions on the back but picture Martinsburg laughing at me because I am anal.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's stupid to send in the back, but they told me I needed to. They've specifically added email & fax info to the new ones. I sent them two questions and got the following answers:

1. Do I still need to send two copies of each form?
Two forms are required for each submission.
2. Do I need to scan the back page (instructions) of each form?
Yes, per the instructions front and back should be one form.  

No skin off my teeth...as I simply print directly from Excel (and I formatted the back page as well) to a PDF, and already have my signature on the forms. No problem to set qty to 2.

In reality, the front page should be enough, and if they want two copies they should be able to print two.

Especially is you're faxing them...why in the world would you fax the second page? I'm fairly certain it's a case of the person answering the emails not having a clue how it works.

I've also asked them multiple times if it would be easier for me to send in two stacks of forms, one to keep and one to send back, or should I send one big stack with the two forms for each state back to back. I went as far as putting the question on a post-it, with two check boxes, and asked them to simply check a box and leave the post-it on the forms they send back. No answer, and all I'm trying to do is make it easier on them. So, forget it. I sent in 40 pages last time (10 states, 2 copies, front and back of each) and let them deal with it.
View Quote
I didn't send forms last year because I was recovering from knee replacement surgery.

The year prior, I did the standard (for me 7 guns and 2 cans) 12 forms.  One set of three (3) to Ohio with duplicates and one set of three (3) to to Kentucky with duplicates.  I did the post-it note thing with Ohio and Kentucky clearly enumerated.  I did the three for each state with three duplicates separating one from the other with additional post-it notes.

Got back the set to Kentucky but never got the set for Ohio.  Eventually called and left a message for the examiner who signed off on the approved set.  No reply but about two weeks later I got the other set.

There has to be an easier way, for both them and us.  If they screw it up this year, I will just start sending a separate set for each state, in separate mailings.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not patting myself on the back, but this turned into a very informative thread.  I glad I asked.

I had no idea that others were having the same frustrating experiences that I have had.

Lots of good ideas here.

I won't take it personally, from now on, when Martinsburg makes life a little stressful.  God bless them, they are trying.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#14]
So I just scanned and emailed four ATF E-Form 5320.20 (under a trust) with a total of 10 items for a permanent address change (different state).  How long does it usually take to get approved?  What the heck do I do if it doesn't get approved before I move as I won't own the current residence any longer? 
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Most of the ones I've done have been within 30 days.

They fold them up and mail them back to the registered owner address.

Hopefully yours are back on time.

(And sounds like you need my 10-item Excel form, so it would only be a single form for future submissions)
View Quote
I hope it's sooner then that, as the house is sold less then 30 days, haha.  The saving grace is that my mail will be forwarded to my new address for the next 60 days after I move.  I'm just confused as to what I'm legally able to do once the house is sold and I haven't received my approval back.  Do they just need to remain somewhere secured in the home state or what?  I hate talking to the ATF customer service as they don't always fully understand what their talking about, haha! 

BUT Yes I could of used your form, haha!
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I hope it's sooner then that, as the house is sold less then 30 days, haha.  The saving grace is that my mail will be forwarded to my new address for the next 60 days after I move.  I'm just confused as to what I'm legally able to do once the house is sold and I haven't received my approval back.  Do they just need to remain somewhere secured in the home state or what?  I hate talking to the ATF customer service as they don't always fully understand what their talking about, haha! 

BUT Yes I could of used your form, haha!
View Quote
Silencers and AOWs do not require approval for interstate movement.

You can leave the other stuff in a safe deposit box or in a locked container with a friend.

You can modify the configuration of the item, for example, put 16 inch barrels on SBR and move them as Title I firearms.

Hopeful you will get a 3 week turn around on your forms.

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/national-firearms-act-nfa

In the future you can get forms approved for a year at a time.  If you know your are traveling/traveling to a particular state, just get forms approved for someplace in that state that are good for a year.  That covers most situations. Yes, NFA ownership requires some planning.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:01:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Silencers and AOWs do not require approval for interstate movement.

You can leave the other stuff in a safe deposit box or in a locked container with a friend.

You can modify the configuration of the item, for example, put 16 inch barrels on SBR and move them as Title I firearms.

Hopeful you will get a 3 week turn around on your forms.

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/national-firearms-act-nfa

In the future you can get forms approved for a year at a time.  If you know your are traveling/traveling to a particular state, just get forms approved for someplace in that state that are good for a year.  That covers most situations. Yes, NFA ownership requires some planning.
View Quote
Thank you for all this info!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top