Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2015 7:23:40 PM EDT
Ugh.  Have done several of these in several years and the exact same way.  Apparently this time they caught something.  First issue could be my name instead of trust in box 1.  Though that's worked in the past.  But the big red disapproved marks are on the fields for reason and mode.  Is that coincidental or do they put them where the error is?  The disapprove box only says "No Response".  I don't recall any voice mails or calls so not sure.  I suppose I can call them.  For reason I just put "Trips to shooting range" and "personally owned vehicle" for mode.    And I put the exact address of the range for the "transport to".

Fun stuff lol
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive used "All lawful purposes" and "personal vehicle" in the past, as recently as 3 months ago and it was approved.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive used "All lawful purposes" and "personal vehicle" in the past, as recently as 3 months ago and it was approved.
View Quote

This, with the forms received back, approved, in the last week.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got mine back last week approved  for '16, (I live across state lines from my gun club) for name I put my full name and trust. For #5 I list "personal use" and "range trips, same day use". Time frame 1/1/16-12/31/16

hopefully they get you answers shortly.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#6]
For the past few years I have put "visiting with family" and that has been acceptable. Transport has always been "personal vehicle" as well. My recent one had a note hand written at bottom about the model notation of the firearm. The model has always been the same, as I keep a form scanned into computer that I can edit then print an sign. The model is STAR15 (Doublestar). The note said model is AR15 only??? It was approved though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Assuming that's a typo on the dates?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got mine back last week approved  for '16, (I live across state lines from my gun club) for name I put my full name and trust. For #5 I list "personal use" and "range trips, same day use". Time frame 1/1-16-12/31/17

Assuming that's a typo on the dates?

Ya sorry. Covers all 2016
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Can you call and check on these? I mailed mine off like 5 weeks ago and have nothing back, and am going out of state in 2 week.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I left a message for Terry Whittington.  The receptionist indicated that he takes care of all 5320.20s.  I haven't heard back yet and will likely try to call again.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#14]
How did you modify that form to add eight guns? I sent two in because of the limited listing space , one came back approved and one came back with a correction letter. Both were mailed in the same envelope. I called and they approved the other one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:43:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I am sending next years for 9 states. Should be interesting to see how the mess this up.

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You can't tell it's not an original form. My defense is that the form itself says you send in a letter in lieu of, even though they usually return the letter with a blank copy of the form. I've used the modified ones at least three times so far.
View Quote

I did one easier?

I just made a note to "see attached list on back of form", and printed an excel spreadsheet with all of my stuff. They have been approved for the past couple of years this way.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ugh.  Have done several of these in several years and the exact same way.  Apparently this time they caught something.  First issue could be my name instead of trust in box 1.  Though that's worked in the past.  But the big red disapproved marks are on the fields for reason and mode.  Is that coincidental or do they put them where the error is?  The disapprove box only says "No Response".  I don't recall any voice mails or calls so not sure.  I suppose I can call them.  For reason I just put "Trips to shooting range" and "personally owned vehicle" for mode.    And I put the exact address of the range for the "transport to".

Fun stuff lol
View Quote

yeah i just got a disapproved one back, still scratching my head? but i went to public school.

ETA no idea whats up with my picture. it shows up on preview?

Form 2
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's pretty high tech and complicated. Unless you have a PhD in Computer Science, you might not understand.

I messed around with Excel enough so that I got the lines and font to match the form. I print out the Excel file, which contains just the firearms and the reason...and also print out a regular 5320.20 with the rest of the info. I trim around the Excel portion, lay it across the 5320.20, and make a copy. I have them already set up for my 8 SBRs for four states, so all I do it print, write the year, sign & date. I have another copy saved where I could write in a different state if I needed to. It was a little work up front, but I can file new forms each year in <5 minutes.

You can't tell it's not an original form. My defense is that the form itself says you send in a letter in lieu of, even though they usually return the letter with a blank copy of the form. I've used the modified ones at least three times so far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How did you modify that form to add eight guns? I sent two in because of the limited listing space , one came back approved and one came back with a correction letter. Both were mailed in the same envelope. I called and they approved the other one.

It's pretty high tech and complicated. Unless you have a PhD in Computer Science, you might not understand.

I messed around with Excel enough so that I got the lines and font to match the form. I print out the Excel file, which contains just the firearms and the reason...and also print out a regular 5320.20 with the rest of the info. I trim around the Excel portion, lay it across the 5320.20, and make a copy. I have them already set up for my 8 SBRs for four states, so all I do it print, write the year, sign & date. I have another copy saved where I could write in a different state if I needed to. It was a little work up front, but I can file new forms each year in <5 minutes.

I made up a fillable one that has room for six items by splitting the boxes in half. If anybody wants a copy, send me a PM with your e-mail.

I might see if I can make a fillable 8-item form - it looks like the fonts don't get too small to be illegible.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

yeah i just got a disapproved one back, still scratching my head? but i went to public school.

http://i57.tinypic.com/smwpsk.jpg

Form 2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fun stuff lol

http://i57.tinypic.com/smwpsk.jpg

Form 2

Looks like they didn't understand your date range. Maybe spelling out the months will help.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I made up a fillable one that has room for six items by splitting the boxes in half. If anybody wants a copy, send me a PM with your e-mail.
I might see if I can make a fillable 8-item form - it looks like the fonts don't get too small to be illegible.
View Quote

If you can get a fillable 8 line I am in.

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#26]
It's bullshit that 'all lawful purposes' isn't an accepted reason.
These idiots are intentionally making things more difficult than it needs to be.
Gonna be faxing in a 5320.20 tomorrow for a trip next month and see what they say...
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Got my approved 5320.20s back today:

Reason for transportation: Recreational Shooting

Mode of Transportation: Personal Vehicle

and I provided a personal address in PA and the NRA range in VA.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's bullshit that 'all lawful purposes' isn't an accepted reason.
These idiots are intentionally making things more difficult than it needs to be.
Gonna be faxing in a 5320.20 tomorrow for a trip next month and see what they say...
View Quote

Where are you faxing them in? I called and asked if I could fax or expedite one since I had a event arise unplanned and wanted to bring my SBR, the agent said only mail is accepted unless otherwise instructed on a case by case basis.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top