Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2015 5:54:16 PM EDT
The proofs look like a crown over a V and the other a crown over maybe a C superimposed on an L (I can't be sure). London in cursive is written on the top of the barrel. I really don't know anything about it as it came with a house I recently purchased. Thanks for any help.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a mid 19th century single shot fowler. Should be just the thing for hanging over the fireplace.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Both proof marks are from the London, England proof house.  The second mark is actually a combined C and P.  From the look of it, probably 1840 to 1860.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both proof marks are from the London, England proof house.  The second mark is actually a combined C and P.  From the look of it, probably 1840 to 1860.
View Quote

The trouble is, there's no makers name - just "London". And there's no quality to the piece. It's more likely Belgian made, with forged London proof marks - a quite common problem for the English gunmakers of the period.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#4]
There were many low cost trade guns coming out of both England and Belgium at the time known simply as "Trade Guns". The problem as stated above was Belgian forgeries of English guns. They were modest guns for poor folks and of varying quality. Sold by traveling peddlers and hardware stores and trading posts. With no maker name you may never track the origin. Enjoy it for what it is. Think of it as the Rossi single shot shotgun of the time.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks y'all for the replies and info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top