Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2014 11:43:38 AM EDT
'51 Colt Navy replica made by Pietta in the correct .36 cal. Another nice addition to the stable!!  Cabelas has a sale on if you're shopping!

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been wanting one for a while now.  Got the flyer in the mail the other day.  Went up to Cabelas KC last week and fondled one.  Been following an ad for a used Lyman (Armi San Paolo????) in .36 3 hours from here.  I'll be in the area in a couple days and may pick it up.  Went back to Cabela's the other night and they'd sold the one they had.  Probably run up there in the morning to see if they got any more in and if not, I'll just order one online.  Probably get the Lyman too in the spirit of arf.com.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Black powder revolvers should always be bought in pairs!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#3]
The reason for traveling has fallen through, but I still may make the journey for other reasons.  Ran up to Cabela's this morning and they hadn't gotten any more in.  So I ordered it online instead.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I did pick up that Lyman.  I'll post up a thread and some pics.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Good deal!
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#6]
AND not only in the correct .36 caliber, but the correct steel frame!
Or so the photo indicates.
Always avoid brass-framed cap and ball revolvers. Almost every one is made with a brass frame to be sold cheaper. Consequently, the workmanship is not put into them like their steel-framed counterpart.
Brass-framed revolvers are incapable of handling full loads without eventual damage. Steel-framed guns shrug it off.
Brass-framed revolvers are cheaper to make, hence the terrific "deals" on them. Spend a few extra bucks and get a steel-framed revolver.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#7]
So far I don't completely agree with you. Yes, if you can afford it, buy all steel framed BP revolvers. They do last a very long time if well cared for even under heavy use. I have a CVA imported Armi San Marco 1858 Remington that my father gave me for Christmas when I was 15. I went for several years shooting it almost daily. I was on a serious BO kick and barely fired a cartridge firearm (other than my CCW 3" M65) for a few years. It has been rebuilt with new triggers and hand/spring assemblies four or five times but it's still kicking after more than 25 years of use.

A few of us were shooting our BP revolvers at the club one day and having a great time. Another friend showed up and saw the fun we were having and we weren't going through the 200+ rounds of 9mm he did in every range session. He went to Cabella's the next day and bought a brass framed .44 1851 Colt (yes, I know, not historically accurate) with 3 pounds of Triple 7, 500 round balls, powder flask and everything else the salesman could possibly sell him. He was so excited that he went home and dry fired it all night, ruining the nipples. When we met the next day for his first range session with his new BP toy, not a single cap would fire because of the mashed nipples. I told him to spend $10 on a new set of nipples but he was so frustrated that he offered me the entire package for $150. I told him to take a few days, calm down and and think about it, but he just said BP wasn't for him.

I've been shooting that brass framed 1851 for a few years now with zero signs of wear. A brass framed BP revolver obviously won't last as long as a quality steel framed revolver, but after seeing no wear on my three brass revolvers after years of use, you will get many long years of use out of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top