Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2014 1:31:01 PM EDT
i am looking at a Ski Trooper that is for sale locally.  from the pics, i do not see any SA markings.  is that a bonus?  the numbers do not match and the serial number is o46XX.  what district is S18708?

what would a fair price to offer?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The Finns did not start using the "SA" Army acceptance stamp until late 1942, at which point it began being used on all new production rifles.  The "SA" stamp was then added to most previously produced rifles over time, once they cycled back through an arsenal or weapons depot.  But there's a decent number of previously produced rifles were not restamped for whatever reason.

In addition, it's not uncommon to find Finnish Civil Guard rifles that are not stamped "SA", since it's an Army acceptance mark.  While most Civil Guard rifles were transferred to the Army during the Winter and Continuation Wars when rifles for the military were in short supply, some Civil Guard rifles were never transferred to the Army.

So Finnish rifles without "SA" markings could be Army rifles that were overlooked, or Civil Guard rifles that were never transferred to the Army.

S18708 corresponds to the Salo Civil Guard district.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Finns did not start using the "SA" Army acceptance stamp until late 1942, at which point it began being used on all new production rifles.  The "SA" stamp was then added to most previously produced rifles over time, once they cycled back through an arsenal or weapons depot.  But there's a decent number of previously produced rifles were not restamped for whatever reason.

In addition, it's not uncommon to find Finnish Civil Guard rifles that are not stamped "SA", since it's an Army acceptance mark.  While most Civil Guard rifles were transferred to the Army during the Winter and Continuation Wars when rifles for the military were in short supply, some Civil Guard rifles were never transferred to the Army.

So Finnish rifles without "SA" markings could be Army rifles that were overlooked, or Civil Guard rifles that were never transferred to the Army.

S18708 corresponds to the Salo Civil Guard district.
View Quote

thanks for the info.  any idea on value?

here are a few pics....

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately, I'm not up to speed on current M28 values.  I do know that the rifles with "ski trooper" stocks tend to bring slightly higher prices.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on the current Finn Mosin market will chime in.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]
What is he asking?

Honestly, I'd expect someone who knows what they have to ask at least $400. I'd consider paying more for one, though. Anything under $400 would be an auto-buy, for me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#5]
he's asking $450.  i don't really have the cash right now, so i asked if he was interested in any trades.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#6]
It's in the serial number range for the ski-troopers, which is a plus. Also, that rifle has in fact been used by the Finnish Army as it has a D stamp meaning they reamed the chamber for the Army D166 cartridge. The muzzle cap is a nice little plus. Depending on bore and crown condition, that rifle probably is worth the $450. Ski-trooper M28s (serial # less than 9K) are somewhat uncommon in their original stocks. To ensure the stock is original, look at the buttplate. It should have the last two digits of the serial number stamped on it in fairly large font.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd agree. $450 isn't out of the range I'd expect one to sell for, especially if the barrel is in good condition.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Well i have passed on it. No money this month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top