Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2015 8:20:19 AM EDT
Just like to know if anyone has done any test to see if HP 22lr expand or are more effective then the solid 22lr on small game. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
No, there is no practical difference. Hollowpoint 22LR bullets don't reliably expand. At least not with conventional 22LR ammo.
Velocitors or Stingers MIGHT be a little different, but expansion with them is still iffy.
As in most shooting, shot placement is key
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#2]
There are hollow points that open up at low speed like the CCI standard velocity hollow points.  I would rather have good penetration and good shot placement than expansion in a 22.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
You might see more effectiveness with the HP due to the greater velocity rather than expansion.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I have shot through water filled bottles with 36 grain Federal bulk HP  out of my Henry H001 and got perfect mushroom expansion at 25 yards.  There is of course less penetration than a solid or a HP that doesn't expand.  The real advantage I see is the reduced down range hazard or maybe less mass in the event of a ricochet.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]
The most effective 22 LR round on small game is Segmented HP by CCI.

I thought at one time I found a great round in the CCI Velocitor. Beautiful mushroomed hollow points through water but they shot like crap through my rifles and on target performance did not seem much different than round nose.

Not so with segmented. They are devastating.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a small difference.  I have shot hundreds of rabbits with 22lr.  Most 22lr HP is by name only.  Get into the Sub Sonic HP and you have a real HP that works.  My go to is CCI Subsonic HP for rabbits now.  It works well and is quiet out of my supressed 22's.

MAHA
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#7]
In my unscientific testing, ground squirrels died more reliably with the Federal blue box HP than the red box round nose.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I question a couple of the replies here; they are so dramatically different from my experience I wonder what they're based on.

I've seen a big difference in HP vs solids in .22LR.

When I was a kid I used to hunt red squirrels and chipmunks with .22s a lot. Solids would typically leave a a little entry and exit hole. It would frequently stop them, but I'd have chipmunks crawl away after being hit with solids sometimes. Hit one with a hollow point and the difference was dramatic.

I personally use CCI Subsonic HP these days because I prefer to shoot suppressed. I've found it to be very effective.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.........Most 22lr HP is by name only.  Get into the Sub Sonic HP and you have a real HP that works....
View Quote

Can you elaborate?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I question a couple of the replies here; they are so dramatically different from my experience I wonder what they're based on.

When I was a kid I used to hunt red squirrels and chipmunks with .22s a lot. Solids would typically leave a a little entry and exit hole. It would frequently stop them, but I'd have chipmunks crawl away after being hit with solids sometimes. Hit one with a hollow point and the difference was dramatic.

I personally use CCI Subsonic HP these days because I prefer to shoot suppressed. I've found it to be very effective.
View Quote

+1 to this. I've found the HPs to be more effective. The CCI Subsoinic HP that you mentioned work great as well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

My results are the same as yours. I would nearly blow a gray squirrel in half with a shoulder shot with HP.  Usually would head shoot, and they would come down headless.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:32:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I thought at one time I found a great round in the CCI Velocitor. Beautiful mushroomed hollow points through water but they shot like crap through my rifles and on target performance did not seem much different than round nose.

View Quote

+1.

3 types of CCI segmented that all work:
HyperVelocity, subsonic and even Quiet @ 710 fps.

The Quiet segmented will not cycle a semiauto of course but feed fine manually thru a Marlin 60 scope sighted just for them & quite accurate ... and Quiet require no ear protection and will not empty out the forest.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Remington Yellow Jacket HP will turn a bird like a starling into dust and blow chunks out of rabbits and squirrels. I shot a cottontail with a Marlin rifle about 30 years ago and his head turned into mist. The only thing remaining beyond the shoulders was one ear and his tongue sticking out of his neck. Solid ammo only pokes holes through raccoons and pisses them off. HP is a bit tougher on the hide but the coon dies quicker.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This posting just saved me from typing out my reply. It's exactly what I would of posted.

Today I shoot CCI Subsonic HP and every now and then, Remington Subsonic HP exclusively.
Just depends on what host I'm shooting.
HP does the job 110%  It literately cuts chipmunks in half at 20-25yds. Raccoon head shots or upper neck shots are DRT after they stop doing "the chicken" at the same ranges. Nailed a Skunk last night, 21yds, head shot. DRT and no smell. Gotta love that.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted for truth.  I have had the same experience with both standard velocity and high velocity HP bullets.  They have been far more instantly lethal on squirrels and rabbits than solids.  Solids do spare meat better, however, if you are shooting for food.  I'm 65 years and have been shooting rimfire .22 since I was 10 years old.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, I was quite surprised to see the first posts saying no difference.

I hunt grouse and squirrels with .22lr. While solids will usually get the job done, I prefer to use a HP. I have noticed quite a difference in effectiveness. No particular brand, seems any will about do.

If I were packing ammo for a survival type situation, I think I would pack solids though, I feel they would have a better chance of hitting the vitals on a deer
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

The segmented HPs are devastating on squirrels, rats, starling and crows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top