Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, got an update for yall about the UTG rail.  It will fit.  I ended up having to buy a pair of Craftsman ratcheting clamps in order to get them mounted, but they did mount.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, every time I tried to tighten on side, the claws would slip off the tabs on the upper.  I took off the lower and the handguard, then clamped the claws down until I had the screws tightened.  

Now, I just need to get an optic ordered.  I was hoping to already have a cheap red dot I could try the rail with, but so far the deal to trade my old iron sights from my Hi Point carbine for a cheap red dot my uncle got with his carbine hasn't went through yet.  I'm looking at either a Vortex Strikefire or a Primary Arms 1-4x to be the permanent optic on this rifle.  I plan to buy both, which ever I put on this rifle, the other will go on my current AR.  As for my Hi Point carbine, I've toyed with the idea of putting Magpul MBUS sights on it if I can figure out where the heck I put that front sight.

I'll post pics of the installed rail in the Accessories section at the beginning of the post once I get photos taken and uploaded.  That probably won't be until my 2 year old finally decides to take a nap.

Edit–– just noticed my post count after I submitted the post, I rolled doubles

Link Posted: 1/30/2012 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Finally got to take my SD to the range.  Loved it!!  I ran 3 types of ammo through it with no problems.  I've held a GSG but never shot one and I believe it's worth the extra money.  If you're into aesthetics, it's much more MP5-looking than the GSG, IMO.  The collapsable stock doesn't rattle but there is some up and down play.  I'm sticking with the stock, looks cool!!  Ordered a rail and optic that should be coming in next week.  Hopefully it will go on smoothly.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a great tactical 22lr. I previously owned a GSG. I had posted a thread in the GSG sub-forum where I gave some opinions on the differences as well as showed some photos on the take-down procedure. I don't think most people realize that the entire slide housing and barrel can very easily be removed for ease of cleaning. The only additional step is to unthread the compensator.  The slide assembly alone makes it superior to the GSG, which has a very poor slide design that contains screws that always come loose and eventually cause cracks in the housing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Mind explaining the process step by step to take it down to where you did?  I took the gun completely down one time and holy shit is that a PITA.

ETA: Never mind, I figured it out.  Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Have a few dumb questions.  I mounted a low profile rail to my Umarex SD.  There is a slight pitch (rear is higher).  I assume it has to do with the rail not compensating for the pitch as well as the raised notch that is in line with the rear lugs.  I'm wondering:

1) What is the purpose of the notch being higher than the front portion of the lugs?
2) Are many of the rails manufactured with some sloping to account for pitch?
3) Any solutions to make it level?  I was thinking of just compensating for the pitch with the elevation of the red dot.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have a few dumb questions.  I mounted a low profile rail to my Umarex SD.  There is a slight pitch (rear is higher).  I assume it has to do with the rail not compensating for the pitch as well as the raised notch that is in line with the rear lugs.  I'm wondering:

1) What is the purpose of the notch being higher than the front portion of the lugs?
2) Are many of the rails manufactured with some sloping to account for pitch?
3) Any solutions to make it level?  I was thinking of just compensating for the pitch with the elevation of the red dot.

Thanks!

The low profile rail I purchased from AIM Surplus has smaller allen screws in the center of the rail near the front and rear to allow you to adust the pitch of the rail.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:40:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Still haven't gotten an optic for the rifle yet, but I did get to shoot it some more yesterday.  Another 200 trouble free rounds (all federal bulk).  I wasn't trying for accuracy yesterday.  I was basically doing mag dumps with the target at max distance on the range.  Even then, I was holding around 8 inch groups while doing rapid fire on a female zombie target.  I was going to order a red dot, but instead ordered a set of Magpul MBUS sights for my Hi Point Carbine.  Off topic a bit, but that ATI stock has made my Hi Point much nicer to shoot.  I also like the MBUS sights over the original sights.  I did have to lower the front post as low as it would go, but it is dead on for a 15 yd. indoor range.
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Back from my first range trip with my SD.  Accurate right out of the box.  I didn't think I would like the iron sights, but I do.  The rear drum system is great, and the gun was dead accurate right out of the box.  After 300rds or Federal ammo only one FTF.  It either got caught on the ramp , or the shell was bent, because the skin of the round was peeled back where it jammed.  No other malfunctions than that feed.  The compact feel of the it made it very manuverable. I was doing burst fire moving quickly from head, to heart, to abdomine with great accurately. It's pretty heavy though which I like, at least 7lbs.  One thing that I did notice is the paint is very delicate.  Just extending the stock is creating scratched on the paint.  Even the barrel was getting scuffed from being placed on the plastic range tray.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/MF-DIF/DSC_0012-3.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/MF-DIF/DSC_0014-2.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/MF-DIF/DSC_0018-6.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/MF-DIF/DSC_0020-3.jpg

I also picked up a UTG rail which I was going to mount and red dot on, but I don't think I am anymore just because of how much I like it's sights.  Anyways, I've figured out why the rail mounts like crap and not flush on both sides.  One side of the claw has a flat L that grabs the gun perfect.  The other side for some reason has a rounded edge on the L claw so it slides off when you try to tighten it.  If that round edge was filed down, then I bet it would mount fine without issue. Mounting the claw also scratches the thin paint.

Flat L claw side

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/MF-DIF/DSC_0003-9.jpg

Rounded L claw side

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/MF-DIF/DSC_0001-7.jpg
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought the H&K (Walther) MP5 A5 .22 for my son at a local gun show about a month ago, $484.00 out the door. Took it to the range, it eats Winchester M22's like they are going out of style. He went thru about 350 rounds in 2 hours with no issues. I fired 25 rounds thru it, accuracy was decent at 25 yards, I like the feel of the little gun, seems to be well made, no complaints so far.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#10]
The paint touches up well with Casey's Aluminum Black, or a black sharpie. I noticed the paint thing too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Does the HK fixed stock fit on these?
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does the HK fixed stock fit on these?

I'm not completely sure.  I think I've read somewhere that one can be modified to fit these.   They do sell a fixed stock specifically for these.  If I get to go to the next gun show, I'd like to look for a set of HK wood furniture to install, if it can be modified.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Held nice and tight at 50 when I was testing accuracy.  Then I started burst firing.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/MF-DIF/zombie.jpg
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone else have trouble with the retractable stock sticking?  It slides out smooth...but sometimes it's a pita to slide back down and gets stuck.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyone else have trouble with the retractable stock sticking?  It slides out smooth...but sometimes it's a pita to slide back down and gets stuck.

My sliding stock works fine, but it's a pain in the face to shoot.  I'm putting an Umarex MP5 fixed stock on it as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the retractable stock, I mean it's not like it has any noticeable recoil to begin with. If you are having issues with it retracting try putting a little drop of lube in each channel, it seems to help protect the paint as well.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:02:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I recently purchased the A5 version and absolutely love it.  A friend of mine was trying to sell me his GSG5 so I had that alongside the HK version to do a comparison.  Overall the fit and finish of the HK rifle is a hell of a lot sturdier than its GSG counterpart.  To me, the GSG's plastic parts felt like cheap garbage.
I ended up passing on the GSG and havent looked back.

I like the looks of the SD version and wish that HK made the parts to convert the A5 to SD.
Anybody know if this can be done?
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a tactical 22LR junkie, I admit it.....I have 10/22's in AK47, HK G36, Tommy gun, I have 22 adapters for my Uzi, HK91, AR15(dedicated upper and conversion), Sig 522, and a Wasr-22....BUT this HK is the best of the lot. It has the exact weight and feel of my HK 94. It shoots any kind of ammo I feed it and has been flawless in function for well over 2000 rounds so far. I did put on the A2 fixed stock, I never liked the feel of steel on my face. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a tactical 22, or any 22 for that matter.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No problems here.  Retracts and collapses smooth.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone else have trouble with the retractable stock sticking? It slides out smooth...but sometimes it's a pita to slide back down and gets stuck.

No problems here. Retracts and collapses smooth.

Ditto. ^^^

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone else have trouble with the retractable stock sticking? It slides out smooth...but sometimes it's a pita to slide back down and gets stuck.

No problems here. Retracts and collapses smooth.

Ditto. ^^^

Same here in CA.  I just picked mine up from FFL (total impulse buy with tax refund) and the stock slides smooth in and out (insert "thats what she said" joke here).  I can't wait to take it out for a test drive.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Hit mine with some oil and now the stock is ok.  Guess as long as it isn't dry no probe. Update on the utg rail. When I mention the flaws being different from each side and slipping off...I went ahead and drilled.the curved claws Dow to be a sharp 90 degree angle. Sighted my red dot in and the claw is now sterdy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I tried the Unamex and was happy until I shot the Sig 522..game over as far as fit and finish and of course the sweetness of the shooting. 522's trigger is amazing, the recoil is nothing and I am now putting an Outback II suppressor as soon as the papers clear.

I will get the MP5 just because of the original 9mm it was born from. I have shot the crap outta our local Sheriff's dept. MP5 and UP40..I must say it is the sweetest FA I've ever shot. SO, I will be getting the clone but it's gonna take some changes to get it in the same performance range as the 522 imo. And I can shoot any crappy ammo that I've had laying around fr years too. It has a polished extended feed ramp...om a .22! Sweetness continues.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 3:48:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Has anybody come up with a good scope mount for these yet???? There are all kinds of mixed reviews out there, and I really don't want to spend 100+ dollars for a mount!
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I was able to get the cheap UTG low profile rail mount to work.  But I needed to grind one side of the legs down so the curve was more of a sharp 90 degree angle instead of having a rounded edge. You can see what I mean if you scroll up at my close up pics of the claw. It's made of aluminum so it's pretty soft and easy to do.  I didn't have a file or dremel so I just used my drill and ran it against the side of the bit.

It has held up so far with my last range trip, and has not slipped off being handled in my rifle bag that is also packed with my Sig 522.

Some quick cam phone pics.   There is another version of this claw though that has the bolts on the side instead of securing from up top.  That might actually make slipping less of an issue since you are not tensioning from up top.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/MF-DIF/IMAG0195.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/MF-DIF/4-1.jpg

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was able to get the cheap UTG low profile rail mount to work.  But I needed to grind one side of the legs down so the curve was more of a sharp 90 degree angle instead of having a rounded edge. You can see what I mean if you scroll up at my close up pics of the claw. It's made of aluminum so it's pretty soft and easy to do.  I didn't have a file or dremel so I just used my drill and ran it against the side of the bit.

It has held up so far with my last range trip, and has not slipped off being handled in my rifle bag that is also packed with my Sig 522.

Some quick cam phone pics.   There is another version of this claw though that has the bolts on the side instead of securing from up top.  That might actually make slipping less of an issue since you are not tensioning from up top.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/MF-DIF/IMAG0195.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/MF-DIF/4-1.jpg

I had considered grinding the feet on mine, but was able to get a secure mount by holding the feet in place with clamps until I had the screws tightened.

Also, I looked around at a local gunshow today, but was didn't seen any HK wood to experiment on for this rifle.  I did see an A5 like mine selling for about $50 less than I paid for mine.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Today I took my new MP5 A5 out with 2 boxes of Federal bulk packs 525ct and right out of the box the rifle performed very well and didn't take very long to zero the weapon. The only hiccup was around the 250 and 275rd mark, on both of the fired mags at the last 7 to 9 round left I had 2 rounds that failed to feed on in each mag. Now starts the process of : does the gas system need a little adjustment? polish the feed ramp? the gun just doesn't like Federal ammo? This is in no way a slam against this rifle and it is far superior to the gsg-5 in build quality and performance and I will try some CCI and other ammo until I find what runs the best, on a side note I am lucky that my dealer stocks extra mags at a steep $39.00 but still i picked up three more Hopefully I will post some pictures of one of the failed rounds and of a rail that I have added
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 4:27:31 AM EDT
[#28]
My only "issue" with the gun is that I've seen it advertised as having a Match Grade Barrel.

You all have seen that skinny little thin metal tube that they use? Not exactly my idea of top shelf, but for now anyway, it works fine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#29]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649&item=250969920149&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Link to the 20mm rail that will fit your Mp5 without and slipping or fighting to get on your rifle, this is the exact same item that I purchased for my personal rifle and mounted my EOTech on wothout any issues. Of course it's coming from somewhere in China and you have to wait like  month to get it but at $9.95 with shipping it's worth a shot
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I picked-up a MP5-A5 this morning. I'll do a range report in a seperate thread after I shoot it in the morning. $445.00 OTD

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I picked-up a MP5-A5 this morning. I'll do a range report in a seperate thread after I shoot it in the morning. $445.00 OTD

http://oi43.tinypic.com/a41v8x.jpg

Feel free to post your range report in this thread if you want.  I'm hoping to get mine out to try a couple more types of ammo.  I also have a brand new Cimarron 1911 .45acp that needs range time.  I've been a bit bogged down between work and losing my grandpa a couple of weeks ago.  Right now I don't know if I'll get range time this week or not after getting a call from my credit card's fraud department.  Luckily, they stopped the charges, but now I'm without a card.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 11:11:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feel free to post your range report in this thread if you want.  I'm hoping to get mine out to try a couple more types of ammo.  I also have a brand new Cimarron 1911 .45acp that needs range time.  I've been a bit bogged down between work and losing my grandpa a couple of weeks ago.  Right now I don't know if I'll get range time this week or not after getting a call from my credit card's fraud department.  Luckily, they stopped the charges, but now I'm without a card.

I got six flavors of .22 lr lined-up for it. I'll do the sight-in with .22 Mini-Mag HPs then go with a mag of each after that..

I did find a NIW H&K G3 sling in my Box-O-Slings I put on it. Glad I saved it instead of altering it for other weapons. I bought a pile of them back when they were around a buck each if you bought 10.

Most folks seem to like the various red-dots but I have a compact 4X I might put on it on down the road. I ordered a Chi-Com mount that is supposed to work according to a poster a couple of notches up the page. Meh....If it don't work it ain't like I'll be out much.

Hope your CC isue gets straightened out. It sucks when you get one of those calls from the CC company. LOL...It seems I booked a flight to Down-Under with mine.

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got six flavors of .22 lr lined-up for it. I'll do the sight-in with .22 Mini-Mag HPs then go with a mag of each after that..

I did find a NIW H&K G3 sling in my Box-O-Slings I put on it. Glad I saved it instead of altering it for other weapons. I bought a pile of them back when they were around a buck each if you bought 10.

Most folks seem to like the various red-dots but I have a compact 4X I might put on it on down the road. I ordered a Chi-Com mount that is supposed to work according to a poster a couple of notches up the page. Meh....If it don't work it ain't like I'll be out much.

Hope your CC isue gets straightened out. It sucks when you get one of those calls from the CC company. LOL...It seems I booked a flight to Down-Under with mine.

I was looking at a red dot at one point, but I'm leaning heavily towards Primary Arms 1-4x.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

My only "issue" with the gun is that I've seen it advertised as having a Match Grade Barrel.

You all have seen that skinny little thin metal tube that they use? Not exactly my idea of top shelf, but for now anyway, it works fine.

Anyone have issues with the tiny barrel it comes with? It looks like a straw you'd stir a cup of coffee with.

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone have issues with the tiny barrel it comes with? It looks like a straw you'd stir a cup of coffee with.

So far no issues from it.  The last time it went to the range, I was basically doing mag dumps on zombie targets.  I was holding a pattern about 1.5x the size of a clay pigeon freehanding and pulling the trigger as fast as I could.  Yet, I could slow down and still tighten patterns up enough to overlap.  

The biggest issue with the skinny barrel is that I know it is skinny.  When I'm running my brush and pushing patches, I keep feeling like I should be bending the barrel, but I know it is just in my mind.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#36]
The barrel seems thin but the accuracy is fine, I ran two boxes of Federal Bulk pack with out issue through, but now I tried some Winchester Bulk and I have been getting a FTF, but I know it must be an ammo issue because it's doing the same thing in my other 22LRs which have all been 100% as long as I have owned them, so I may have just go a bad batch, all the FTF have had very clear firing pin hits.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 2:50:28 AM EDT
[#37]
My only concern about the barrel would be damage to the crown if you were too ham-handed when you remove the faux suppressor. When the suppressor is installed there is what amounts to a target crown present.

I would not remove the suppressor when cleaning. It would also be a good idea never to remove the suppressor to oil the barrel unless it is in a cleaning station or otherwise secured.

I suspect if you would drop tis weapon on it's crown with the suppressor removed you are done accuracy-wise. With the suppressor installed I think it would survive a drop the same as most sporter .22s.

As to the thinness of the barrel itself it is only slightly thinner than the Russian MP161K I bought a few weeks ago and it's a very accurate weapon. It also has a target crown and the barrel is longer yet at 20".

Yeah.....I like weird .22s.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 3:37:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So far no issues from it. The last time it went to the range, I was basically doing mag dumps on zombie targets. I was holding a pattern about 1.5x the size of a clay pigeon freehanding and pulling the trigger as fast as I could. Yet, I could slow down and still tighten patterns up enough to overlap.

The biggest issue with the skinny barrel is that I know it is skinny. When I'm running my brush and pushing patches, I keep feeling like I should be bending the barrel, but I know it is just in my mind.

Yeah, I hear you about cleaning. I just use a Bore Snake, in part because I like'em and also because I just don't want to be screwing around with a tube that thin.

I recently tore one of my windshield wipers off my car an 70 mph trying to free up a leaf under it, while I was driving, so I'm not real confident that the skinny little barrel on this gun would fare much better if I were to do anything remotely rough with it.

Gotta say, I love this gun, it's a lot of fun to shoot, it's been very accurate and so far, no issues at all.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#39]
RANGE REPORT

I took the MP5-A5 to my range this morning and tried it out with six different flavors of .22 ammo. I expended about 400 or so rounds all told rotateing through 3 mags.

CCI Mini Mag HP
CCI MM solids
Bulk Winchester X-pert lead HP
Winchester Super-X solids
Wolf Target
Federal 550 Bulk pack HP

Conditions at 0930 were mostly cloudy and with a steady 20-25 MPH wind from the NNW w/higher gusts.
Temp +/- 42 degrees

I confined my testing to 25 yards due to the wind. The rest was a rolled-up mil-surp sleeping mat.

The MP5-A5 ate everything I put through it without any issues what-so-ever. Empties were ejected smartly about seven feet away to the right-rear in a pile. Primer strikes were solid.

I laser sighted the weapon the night before and noticed right away I needed to install the taller front sight blade to use the aperture I wanted. I did so with no issue.

A always "season" a new .22 barrel before I shoot it for accuracy so I ran the three mags of Fed bulk pack through it as fast as I could pull the trigger and then settled down and started shooting 5-shot groups with the different flavors of ammo.

Of course the Wolf Target did best at .50" but the best results as far as pratical ammo was pretty much a tie between CCI Mini-Mag HPs and 80s vintage 40 gr Win. Super-X solids with groups in the .75" range. That stuff shoots great out of most everything I've ever tried it with. Glad I have a case of it.

The best group I was ever able to get out of the Federal 550 bulk was around a inch. It seemed to like the 40 gr bullets better than 36gr. ones.

The rest of the time I used the Federal bulk and just plinked around with it on spinning targets and the like. Plenty good enough for that.

All and all I'm pleased with the weapon but I did find the vertical movement in the stock a bit disconcerting off the bench but I never really noticed it shooting off-hand.

To be honest the short sight radius and my old eyes did not get along very well. I am looking forward to getting a compact 4X scope on it and giving it a go then. I suspect I can tighten those groups up quite a bit.

Link Posted: 4/12/2012 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Where in VA did you find one for that price? Cheapest I've ever seen them was at the NAtions gun show in Chantilly for about $480. My local gun shop has the A5 for $700 and the SD version for $799. Guess they are going on a "sucker born every minute".
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 1:57:05 AM EDT
[#41]
VA. Pistol is where I got mine. The price on it was $481.00 but it had not moved and I pay in cash so I got a decent deal. As it was a Davidson's gun I figure the  $481.00 price is about all you should pay. You would have been OK buying one at TNGS for that price.

Buds has them for $433.00 before their faux "free shipping" and what a transfer would cost you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#42]
will the original h&k mp-5  "K" forgrip fit on these?
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#43]
was wondering if any of these two rails would work on the hkmp5 22 , i just ordereda hk mp5 22 and will pick up next week.
https://www.trinityairsoft.com/p-147-mp5-rail-sleeve-by-laylax.aspx

http://www.zairsoft.com/servlet/the-979/Nitro-Vo-Rail-Sleeve/Detail

some others on hkpro.net site say that the this one is ok http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=598&products_id=553
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
will the original h&k mp-5  "K" forgrip fit on these?

I don't see why it wouldn't.  From what I've been reading, it accepts standard MP-5 front grips.  I've been a bit slow on upgrading mine after buying a new carry gun (replacing my S&W Sigma .40 with a 1911) and diverting some of my "gun fund" to fixing up the yard (redoing flower beds, building a dedicated garden area along the back fence, and building a patio).
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Jacknife, so  in your opinion, they are much beter than the gsg? also  are the recievers better as well?
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#46]
I decided I did not care too much for the sliding stock due to it being so short and more than a bit loose (vertically) so I ordered a fixed stock and It came in this afternoon.

Boy what a difference! The rock solid feel and the extra 1.5" of pull length suits me much better. Money well spent.

LOL...In case you are wondering, the stuff on the grip is just some camo "vet-tape" (Coflex) I wrapped around the grip to make it fit my hand a bit better. That stuff is great as it sticks to itself, leaves no residue when you remove it, and provides a very nice grip.

I got three rolls of the 2" for around $10.00 shipped off EBay. It comes in lots of different colors. Very handy stuff to have around.

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Jacknife, so  in your opinion, they are much beter than the gsg? also  are the recievers better as well?

It is hard to give a strong answer since I haven't shot the GSG.  I have handled both the GSG-5 and GSG-522 at local gun stores, and be best answer I could give is that the HK just felt better.  I hate to give such a flimsy answer.  The GSG just had more of an airsoft/toy feel compared to the HK.  I've debated getting a GSG so that I could get a better idea of the differences between the two, but I just can't decide if I'd want to drop the coin on one when I could pickup other rifles that interest me (possibly one of the semi sterlings).
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I decided I did not care too much for the sliding stock due to it being so short and more than a bit loose (vertically) so I ordered a fixed stock and It came in this afternoon.

Boy what a difference! The rock solid feel and the extra 1.5" of pull length suits me much better. Money well spent.

LOL...In case you are wondering, the stuff on the grip is just some camo "vet-tape" (Coflex) I wrapped around the grip to make it fit my hand a bit better. That stuff is great as it sticks to itself, leaves no residue when you remove it, and provides a very nice grip.

I got three rolls of the 2" for around $10.00 shipped off EBay. It comes in lots of different colors. Very handy stuff to have around.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2ldhxfq.jpg

The solid stock really does make the rifle look better.  I still intend to get one for mine.  I had found a really nice side folding HK stock, but I couldn't bring myself to put a $300+ stock on my rifle.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Yeah it looks OK but the way it feels is what I like about it. I'd say that in the long term it made the difference between selling it off and keeping it. I was just not happy with the slider at all.

I got my fixed stock from a in-state vendor (Greentop) for $48.00 shipped so at least it did not break the bank. They can be had from Umarex for $58 and from HKParts for $64.00 before shipping. Others advertize them cheaper but seldom have them.

As far as the GSGs go I know a guy that bought one of them from the same shop I bought the HK licenced version from and his won't run on anything but CCI Mini-Mags but according to him it runs fine with them. Perhaps once it breaks in it will run the bulk stuff. That said I have not talked with him for a few months.

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 2:52:33 AM EDT
[#50]

I also replaced the stock with the solid fixed stock, but I over paid at HK Parts..... makes it feel real solid

I've tried all the "cheap" mounts and for one reason or another they didn't work out....in fact one actually broke during the install (stripped screws). I finally broke down and purchased the MFI mount from HK Parts... http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Umarex-HK-MP5-22-Low-Profile-Scope-Mount-312p2389.htm it took a little fitting, as per the instructions but is rock solid. I mounted an Eotech and threw 500 rounds down range...perfect. The only issue is the trigger, it has a very long pull.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top