Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2015 11:52:52 AM EDT
Anybody wear the Oakley assault gloves? If not, what gloves did you wear and how was their durability?
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]
As you can see by my avatar I wore nomex flight gloves for my tours. They didn't last very long in that environment but I had an endless "supply" of them and they are pretty comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#2]
It's been awhile since I was overseas, but there are two options.....gloves with great dexterity and gloves that last a long time.  Gloves that have great dexterity, by their nature of purpose, are thinner.  Good leather work gloves will last, but you lose dexterity.  You have to choose, give up dexterity or buy several pairs of gloves.  I would say it depends on what your mission is.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't like the knuckle piece in the Oakley's it just bothered me other then that there pretty good gloves.

Outdoor research ironsight gloves are by far the best gloves I've used.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Oakleys were nice. They were nicer with the fingers cut off.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two pairs with the fingertips cut off. The carbon fiber knuckles have definitely saved my knuckles a few times and they don't bother me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Never used oakley because they weren't FR. Now I think they have a FR variant but they didn't back then.

My first deployment, in the first 3 or 4 months, I used and blew out a pair of hatch gloves, a pair of blackhawk gloves, and a pair of camelbaks ( I think that's what they were).

I finally got a pair of wiley X's my wife sent me. Used them the remainder of that deployment, along with another deployment before the finger went. Got another pair right after that in 09 and still using that pair.

I won't use anything else now. Good dexterity, durable, and I like the knuckle caps.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I carried old fashioned Aviator gloves; then lost them in a patrol.

I eventually wore the Oakley SI Assault Gloves - HATED THEM. the carbon fiber knuckle guards restrict movement and they feel too bulky for me. I currently use Mechanix Fastfit gloves.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Nomex aviators. I hate plastic knuckle gloves. Wore mechanics gloves til the commands started banning non FR gloves
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#9]
For the uneducated...what's FR

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the uneducated...what's FR

View Quote

Fire/flame resistant.

Whatever you choose, gloves should be treated like the disposable item that they are. Buy a few pairs. I'm not a veteran, but I do like SKD's PIG gloves.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Baby hands?
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:24:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I wore the Oakley's during my Iraq deployment, and they faired well, the fingers were always a bit mismatched, the thumb would be tight but the fingers loose, as others stated they were better with the fingers cut off. I still own a pair as a backup. In Afghanistan I wore mostly mechanix and sometimes the issued hwi hatch gloves from rfi. The pigs have really peaked my interest, and I will definetly be investing in a few sets.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 1:43:44 AM EDT
[#13]
mechanixs is still where its at, even more so now that they have so many new options.

I never liked big thick 'motorcycle' tactical gloves.  Dexterity is very important

I still wear original mechanix gloves with the pointer and thumb cut off
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 1:59:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I rocked the Oakley Assault Gloves with the hard knuckle for 2 tours. They're really durable if you take care of them. I still have them, but I have found that I prefer the Outdoor Research Ironsight gloves. Mechanix has a pad on the trigger finger that fucks with my trigger squeeze. The edge of it catches my trigger every time, and I yank shots.

In general though: the Iraqi desert eats gloves alive. Between the dryness, the heat, and your sweaty mitts, you'll most likely burn through gloves. a couple pairs a month.

This shit, by the way.... is absolute gold:

Baseball glove conditioner is straight up magical though when it comes to taking care of your gloves in the desert:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Pro-Stock-Glove-Conditioner/dp/B0000ARCTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437025818&sr=8-1&keywords=baseball+glove+conditioner

Apply to all leather surfaces of your gloves (make sure you get the seams... that's where the rips happen).
Wipe off the excess and let them sit over night (they might have to sit for a couple days actually if they were really dried out). Your gloves will be nice and soft.
Wear them until they start getting slightly stiff and crunchy (usually about 2-3 weeks).
Wash the gloves with water to rinse the salt off
Apply glove conditioner to all leather, wipe off excess, and let sit overnight until the leather absorbs all of the conditioner.
Repeat as needed (again, usually every couple weeks, I found it helped to have 2 pairs of gloves, so I could have one sitting in my hooch getting conditioned while I wore the other pair on patrol)

Also, don't worry about the conditioner's price. I'm STILL using the same $9 can I bought in 2010.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 4:42:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I was over there as a contractor, so no support from the .mil.  I used gloves for searching vehicles, patting down people, climbing nasty ladders in guard towers covered in mud and other shit, riding in armored vehicles (because the Army said I had to have gloves for that), and keeping my hands warm when it was cold.

I wore Mechanix gloves because that is what the PX had.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I was issued Out Door Research FR gloves and they worked fine. Pretty durable but by the end of deployment they were trash.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Never used oakley because they weren't FR. Now I think they have a FR variant but they didn't back then.

My first deployment, in the first 3 or 4 months, I used and blew out a pair of hatch gloves, a pair of blackhawk gloves, and a pair of camelbaks ( I think that's what they were).

I finally got a pair of wiley X's my wife sent me. Used them the remainder of that deployment, along with another deployment before the finger went. Got another pair right after that in 09 and still using that pair.

I won't use anything else now. Good dexterity, durable, and I like the knuckle caps.
View Quote

What model Wiley X's?
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was issued Out Door Research FR gloves and they worked fine. Pretty durable but by the end of deployment they were trash.
View Quote

I always liked those gloves. The RFI gloves we got with the multicam CIF issue were very good. Still have a pair that are war weary but still GTG
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What model Wiley X's?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What model Wiley X's?

I was issued these Wiley-X's and fuck me I didn't think they'd be that expensive
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I wore a LOT of different gloves, including everything from plain OD glove liners to Hatch "search" gloves, to Camelbak something or other fancy. Of the more expensive ones, the Camelbak gloves lasted a little longer but none of the expensive ones lasted long enough to justify the extra cost. I think the best value is in $15 Mechanix gloves.

ETA: Didn't do any door kicking while deployed. I fixed RADARs and only went outside the wire rarely. Wore the gloves most of the time, though. Metal is always measured in Kelvin in Afghanistan. Either stoopid cold or insanely hot. I'm including all my experience in the field both as a RADAR tech and 11C to form my opinion. Gloves don't really care if people are trying to kill you with real rockets.

Since this appears to be a pic thread:

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I use oakley gloves there awesome. In my 2009 tour my squad leader made me destroy them when I got some blood on them. I replaced them ASAP and I'm still useing that pair.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#22]
leather engineer gloves with the right thumb and forefinger cut off. Loading my 249 was
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What model Wiley X's?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What model Wiley X's?

TAG-1s were my first set, now I have CAG-1s
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I used flight gloves. Cheap and comfy. They can wear out quick with hard use. But there were a big supply of them. The CamelBak gloves I had were comfortable and lasted awhile. Mine had a long gauntlet, which I cut off.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Nomex flight gloves and hatch...but they'd only last a few weeks or so.
the stitching would blow out pretty quick
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I wore Aviator gloves with the excess cuff cut off and the Oakley SI gloves on my last tour. The Oakley's lasted for the full year but were trash by the time I left. The Aviator gloves actually lasted awhile as well until I wore them while pulling c-wire.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Gloves are like magazines...they are expendable.pick a few good pairs and replace them. Not spending $100 on a pair of gloves.
I liked the Flight gloves the best.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#28]
33 months in afghan/iraq (Infantry and crew chief) and the best pair of gloves I've worn are Camelback impact series. They aren't FR, but they fit so perfect and hold up really well for how light a breathable they are. I'm buying another pair soon.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I used nomex flight gloves. My only beefs on them was that the stitching between the index and middle fingers blew out pretty quickly and the *did not* like having diesel fuel spilled on them. The cleaner spray that came with a USGI desert boot cleaning kit kept them soft as long as they lasted.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:06:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Remember, gloves are expendable items and will never truly be durable.  You don't even want gloves to be durable.  Think of all the nasty shit you encounter with gloves.  I'd rather have my gloves fall apart every month than use the same pair for several months.

My fave right now are the Hatch Hard Knuckles.  Great protection.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Gloves are like magazines...they are expendable.pick a few good pairs and replace them. Not spending $100 on a pair of gloves.
I liked the Flight gloves the best.
View Quote

X2, I liked flight gloves and inexpensive Mechanix (except when it was witch tit cold).
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I wore Oakleys in Afghanistan and I really liked the knuckle buster for operating but it sucked anytime I need anything in a pouch or pocket. On My next deployment, I wore mechanix and still use mechanix gloves. Pretty good dexterity and they are pretty durable, and they don't cost $50. Also, you can find them at local auto stores and they now come in tacticool colors. Probably the best $20-$25 you can spend on a hard use glove.

I currently wear the IMPACT glove. LINK
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Not in the military but I wear gloves for work a lot (commercial landscaping). The get dirty, sweaty and have saved my hands numerous times. Because of what I do I always use leather palmed gloves. The mechanics have melted on my hands when I grabbed a hot piece of equipment.

I currently have a pair of the Mechanix leather palmed gloves and I hate them. The fit is bad and the velcro won't stay closed. I got them to replace a pair of Petzl Cordex Lightweights which I still use even with a few holes in them. They are super tough and have just lasted (with the exception of two holes after 3 years).

If you are going to do heavy work I think the Petzl's are great.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Tried various types, but always preferred nomex aviator/CVC gloves, either with the "gauntlet" cut back, and if you wanted, have the sew shop sew on a 550 cord loop, or just fold them back and call it good.  

Heard that the Outdoor Research/Massif Overlord Shorts were supposed to replicate the feel and dexterity of aviators, while being slightly more durable, and FR, and have been using those, and been quite satisfied with them.

For non-FR applications, I've been fairly satisfied with Mechanix, though I'm interested to try out the PIGs one day.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Currently in the desert. Been using Massif Overlord shorts as my FR's (when I'm flying) and OR Ironsights as my non-FR (ground duty). They've both held up well and are decently comfortable considering the heat this shithole is throwing at us. The Ironsights see the vast majority of use mainly searching TCN's and vehicles but also being used as protection from the damn sandstorms. I love them to death.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#36]
i got some pig alpha touch gloves

after an hour of typing on a computer with them on they started falling apart
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seriously? Contact SKD pronto. Mine have held up to far more abuse than that and still look new.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:53:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Seriously? Contact SKD pronto. Mine have held up to far more abuse than that and still look new.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did, got a refund from amazon
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah I used Oakley assault gloves in Iraq, also a deployment to Okinawa/India/Philippines and they worked great there,when a finger blow out I cut it off. The knuckles really save your hands if you are going prone or running into shitty rock huts and also around vehicles. Unfortunately I lost one while hiking while on leave.
I really like them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also used Pig Alpha gloves. They fell apart shortly after being taken out of the package.

Then I used Nomex flight gloves. They were slightly less durable. I ended up sewing most of the fingers with dental floss.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Nomex Flight Gloves and Mech Wear
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:35:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Iv used a lot to include the Wiley x which I think gave the most dexterity but we're very thin, the Oakley with I think we're the most rugged and the aviators which I think we're a good middle ground and in good supply.

Now I think I'd go with Oakleys. But if you can try Them and see what you like. Also mechanix gloves were really popular.

State side anything should last a long long time. Most of my gloves were ruined by knives, C-Wire and hot barrels.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Call me crazy but I actually like the RFI issued Hatch gloves.  Cut the tip of the finger off and re-sew the seams so they don't split all the way to the knuckles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top