Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2014 8:15:06 AM EDT
Alright fellers, I just ordered the Grey Ghost Gear Minimalist plate carrier (I couldn't pass it up for $99 shipped) anyone know something I can put in the plate pocket that's relatively the same size and weight of level IV plates for me to run in?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 8:17:50 AM EDT
[#1]
AR500 plates?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#2]
get some thick rubber mats at like a farm supply store or possibly home depot and cut them to the correct shape, they will be very heavy but somewhat flexible and not as heavy as steel
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems like the AR500 plates would be about the best thing to stick in there to mimic the weight of ceramics.  I'm just assuming around 7 something pounds.  If that's not close to the weight of your plates I guess you could do what was suggested above and stick some rubber sheet in as well to bump up the weight.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AR500 plates?
View Quote

I should have explained that I already own a set of ceramics in friendly territory. I just need the weight while I'm living overseas not so much the ballistic protection.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
get some thick rubber mats at like a farm supply store or possibly home depot and cut them to the correct shape, they will be very heavy but somewhat flexible and not as heavy as steel
View Quote

Not a bad idea, I'll have to find a farm supply store ( no home depot in my current neck of the woods )
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a short hijack by Greygroup is out of business now.  Pretty sad because it seemed like they were producing some good kit.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just a short hijack by Greygroup is out of business now.  Pretty sad because it seemed like they were producing some good kit.
View Quote

Grey Ghost is out ?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Grey Ghost is out ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grey Ghost is out ?

They got bought out a while ago and I guess the parent company decided to kill it. The facebook went offline two ish weeks ago?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They got bought out a while ago and I guess the parent company decided to kill it. The facebook went offline two ish weeks ago?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grey Ghost is out ?

Gray Ghost and Graygroup are two different companies.

Gray ghost is still in bussiness http://www.greyghostgear.com/
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:36:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a shame, I enjoyed ordering from them. They had good customer service.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:01:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Grey Ghost is definitely still in biz.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:15:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Geez that just scared the crap out of me.

Back to the original topic, maybe you can get some Team Wendy training plates.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:26:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I literally had no idea these existed, they're perfect but a bit too rich for my blood.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Holy thread revival batman!

Alright let's see if I can take this in a different direction. Let's say hypothetically I've seen the folly of my ways and have decided I'll just buy a real set of plates, anyone know of any that can be shipped APO?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#16]
As for the size, 10" x 12" plates fit exactly into the MPC.
I will try other sizes soon.
Level IV plates are ITAR restricted by the State Department and cannot be exported without authorization; this includes all APO/DPO/FPO addresses.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As for the size, 10" x 12" plates fit exactly into the MPC.
I will try other sizes soon.
Level IV plates are ITAR restricted by the State Department and cannot be exported without authorization; this includes all APO/DPO/FPO addresses.
View Quote

Yeah, that's what I read about ceramics Level IIIA and up but does it apply to steel plates as well?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't believe it depends on the materials used; rather the ballistic rating which is restricted.
I understand that Level III plates are now allowed to be exported to designated countries, but as this is a new regulation, not many companies have adopted this to their sales policies.
Level IIIA are usually soft armor and have no restrictions; the only restriction would be at the destination country and the State Department recommends obtaining authorization at the destination country, though not many people do this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top