Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2014 3:14:39 AM EDT
http://www.alpenlore.com/shop.html

Anyone else have one of these? I have been using a rigger's belt for duty/EDC since Moses wore short pants. Always worked great, but I wanted to try something a little lighter weight and more comfortable, since I have grown a tweeter in my old age However, I didn't want to give up the strength and utility of my rigger's belt.

I bought one of these and have been using it for EDC for the last 3 months. So far, I'm very pleased. Anyone else have one?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#1]
If it works for you and you like it, awesome!

To me, it looks like a solution looking for a problem.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

How so? Quick size adjustment, allegedly very strong and light weight. What's a comperable belt? My knowledge of the belt market is limited, so I'd appreciate some alternatives to look at. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO, I'd rather have a solid gun belt and a separate spool of 4mm line.

They look cool but I'm always trying to figure out why I'd need that much line, and if I did why I wouldn't just d=carry it separately...

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IMHO, I'd rather have a solid gun belt and a separate spool of 4mm line.

They look cool but I'm always trying to figure out why I'd need that much line, and if I did why I wouldn't just d=carry it separately...

YMMV
View Quote

I tend to agree. I think the cord was a cheap/easy/utilitarian way to make the belt more substantial. I'm sure there was a stylistic component to the design also...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#5]
What is the purpose if the silver triangle? Looks like a riggers belt with a plastic buckle to me... As was said earlier, if it works for you, great. I'd only think about buying that if I was going on an extended backpacking trip or something and even then I'd probably go a different route.

I'd rather have a regular belt and pack the extra gear. If you're going for lightweight, there are lighter belts out there. Get one of those then carry the other gear separately. Who wants to destroy their fancy "survival" belt when it comes time to build a shelter, unless it's actually a matter of life and death? Not me.

For the record, I wear an ATS riggers belt most of the time. It has a built-in holster which I enjoy very much. Was a great feature in Afghanistan and a great feature when I don't feel like changing out holsters depending on the guy I choose to carry to the mailbox or grocery store. Additionally, the velcro means it's easy and fast to adjust.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I appreciate your input. Lightest belt on the planet? Doubt it. Lighter than the belts I was wearing? F*** yeah. Like folks were saying, short of like a shipwreck type of scenario, it's pretty hard to imagine actually using the cord. It's probably a gimmick and an expedient way to make the belt more substantial. There's a video review of a hippie doing static drop tests and pull ups with it, so it seems like it's probably strong enough for its intended purpose. The metal ring is suitable for suspending car keys or possibly a sixer of Old Milwaukee Light

Here's where it kicks the shit out of my old Blackhawk rigger's belt: We were going to take one of my amigos to Red Lobster to have a pre-deployment guys night, but we "accidently missed our exit" and ended up at a shaker bar in another state Well, my bro isn't quite right and really likes to get whipped by the performers and since he had lost his belt earlier, a substitute was needed. 3-4 of us volunteered our belts and placed them on the stage with a pile of singles. Figured with enough belts and enough money, he would get the beating of a lifetime. He gets his rocks off, the performer gets to beat a customer and we get to pound beers and watch the shit-show. Everyone wins. Or not... I was wearing my Blackhawk rigger's belt, which caught the performers attention when she singled it out of the belt pile and asked for the owner to come forward. Not thinking much about it, or anything else, I claimed the belt as mine and proceeded to receive the most brutal flogging of my life. After 20+ PBR's even, the pain was eye watering. Had I been wearing this belt, the pain and injury would have likely been reduced... Just sayin'

I just thought it was cool, I like mine and I figured I'd throw it out there just to see what folks thought.
Thanks for the tip on the ATS belt. I just ordered one. That's pretty slick
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How so? Quick size adjustment, allegedly very strong and light weight. What's a comperable belt? My knowledge of the belt market is limited, so I'd appreciate some alternatives to look at. Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First of all, it's not a "safety" belt. At least according the disclaimer on their website.

Second, it looks overly complicated.  It's not as simple as a rigger's belt.

Third, the paracord is cheesy.  Like someone else said, if I need paracord, I'll carry paracord.  The braceletes are neat, my kids love them, but I don't wear them either.

Someone once told me each tool has it's place and should do it well. A multi-tool can do multiple things but not as well as a dedicated tool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top