Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2014 11:14:55 AM EDT
Anyone have any recommendations for a decent sewing machine? I'd like to do some of my own DIY gear making so I'm guessing it has to be somewhat heavy duty. I'm thinking $500 or under if there are any to be had in that price range.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#1]
MrsWind sells them, what kind of fabric and how many layers I will ask her
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a Brother SE-400

Some of the stuff I've made:

Tourniquet pouch

Velcro mounted light pouch for my helmet(s)

It was able to get through 8 layers of 1000D Cordura nylon and a layer of velcro using a denim needle in order to sew that ^.

It also does embroidery that I've used to design and stitch a few patches:

Blood type/donor patch

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#3]
That is good work, I will ask her when she is home from work. She is Husky software Tech for a local chain, uses a Topaz,
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Used leather type machine or heavy industrial. Used is only way your going to find a decent machine for that price. Best bet is to wonder over to diytactical.com to see what others are using. There are many heavy duty industrial machines that can handle it and also just as many that cannot handle tactical gear. That is to say at what you are going to be sewing.

I use a singer cg550 for a few years but it enviably died and you had to get creative with construction cause it could not sew think stuff.

I use a consew 206rb5 now.

You will also want a industrial with a servo motor and not clutch. Clutch is difficult to control and better for fast sewing.

At least that I what I've learned so far.

You can get budget machines but it's hard to get it all when on a budget.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#5]
She said a Brother industrial they start at $1,000
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Consew or Tacsew on the cheap.

I have a Juki 1541 the Cadillac of machines for sewing gear. In retrospect though when i went to purchase, a Consew would have been good enough. Consew is available for $900ish

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#7]
how much you sewing? I just hand sew small projects and repairs. A sturdy needle and tan colored t-70 or t-69 thread does the job for me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top