Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2009 2:53:54 PM EDT
Im looking to purchase a new pack and im looking into this one...........
http://www.afmo.com/CamelBak_TriZip_100_Oz_3_1_L_p/209-00664.htm
Ive never owned any camelbak products but I like the looks of this one. It seems to be a copy of the Mystery Ranch 3 day pack. It seems to be the right size and layotu that I need. I like the idea of it opening up like a duffel. I currently own packs by Eagle, and Kelty but I want to try something new. So heres your mission....
1. Give me the pros and cons of camelbaks products
2. Make any suggestions for other packs I may have overlooked.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I cannot give you any advice on that particular pack.  I have one of CamelBak's regular day packs (Rimrunner).  It has lasted for several years and all kinds of abuse.  I also have a Mystery Ranch (SnapDragon) and the three way zipper is cool, makes it easy to load/unload the pack.  

I believe SKD has the pack you're looking at a little bit cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I like mine, I have 2 that I use, one quite a bit, that has a built in CCW pouch, I think it is called a demon?
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Full disclosure: I sell Camelbak "military" packs and hydration gear.

I have the Tri-Zip. The reason is appears much like a Mystery Ranch pack is that it's a collaboration between MR and CB, the only one left after they severed the relationship which brought many of MR's packs to the commercial market.

Overall, it's a nice pack. I've had it about 2 days, and haven't had a chance yet to play with the suspension, so I cannot comment on that.  It comes with a standard "Omega" 102oz / 3L reservoir.  The main compartment is just that...one big compartment with two small zippered mesh pockets on the inside, just below the top lid.  There is a zippered slot pocket in the lid, lined with microfleece.  

There are two side pockets on the outside, on the left and right side.  On the right side, as you're wearing it (or looking at it from the back), the pocket is more an "admin" pouch/pocket with pencil holders, etc.  On the left side (as you're wearing it, or looking at it from the back) can fit a Camelbak 750ml bottle with Camelbak bottle-top, or a 1L Nalgene bottle with standard screw-top.  Note that in either case, the pocket configuration expands to the inside of the pack, not the outside, so if your main compartment is stuffed to the gills, it might be difficult to put a Nalgene in it.

I plan to do a bunch of hiking with it over the next couple weeks.  

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Have to admit I have never seen this pack before now. I like the zipper set up. Would a good over night bag for me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]
my motherlode has been awesome! the only gripes i have are that the back doesnt ventilate very well. its not that bad but its not that good either. and since the straps are designed to not restrict range of motion, they tend to slide to the edge of your shoulders if u dont use the sternum strap. durability is amazing. ive beat the crap out of mine for 2 years now and except for some dirt, it still looks new
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I plan to do a bunch of hiking with it over the next couple weeks.  

Hope this helps.

PLEASE DO!

I have been eyeing it for a while now wanting a good med size pack ( or maybe a main pack as my bones get older )

for the OP, here a couple of MR pack reviews for shits and giggles
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=253612&page=1
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=257742
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#8]
i LOVE my BFM, and seems you can find new DCU packs for under $120 now new (i picked mine up for $75).

Not quite the mystery ranch style, but has one main compartment, 2 smaller internal zippered compartments, and 3 outer pouches (think Motherlode with 3 MOLLE pouches). easily holds all my gear, 2 100oz bladders, and a Blackhawk compression pouch kit for extra clothes and sleeping back/pad. very heavy duty, largest pack under the CB name without a modular frame design.  It's my camping/BOB, and wears well with the waist belt. I have yet to get fatigued shoulders from wearing this pack, even with it weighted down quite a bit with gear.  Side pouches fit MREs perfectly, as well as the MOLLE webbing holding chem lights, radio pouch, etc perfectly.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tim (or anyone)-Who makes the camelbak version? The mystery ranch one is about the same price and seems to have more features.

Camelbak does.  It was a design collaboration or licensing agreement to use MR's design/suspension system...I don't know which...but Camelbak is the one actually making them.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#10]
What is the suspension like? Does this pack have a frame of any sort? How does it compare in size to the Motherlode?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
What is the suspension like? Does this pack have a frame of any sort? How does it compare in size to the Motherlode?

http://www.mysteryranch.com/packs/31/3-day-assault-pack.html

it looks to be this pack but with a few corners cut and probably made in asia

Yeah, I saw that and was wondering; Almost the same capacity and design. My Motherlode is made in the Philippines and is of great quality so the whole made in Asia deal isn't an issue so long as it is of similar quality.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#13]
If it's like their other non-Berry Amendment stuff, it will have been sewn in the P.I. from US-made materials.

It has a framesheet, similar to the newer Motherlodes and BFM, that's how the suspension system works.  It's a little smaller than the Motherlode in cargo capacity, but only a couple hundred c.i.  I'll try and get some pics this next week or so.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:42:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:15:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If it's like their other non-Berry Amendment stuff, it will have been sewn in the P.I. from US-made materials.

It has a framesheet, similar to the newer Motherlodes and BFM, that's how the suspension system works.  It's a little smaller than the Motherlode in cargo capacity, but only a couple hundred c.i.  I'll try and get some pics this next week or so.

Yeah but the problem with the Motherlode is that it is kind of a pain in the ass to get to the bottom of the main compartment. Also putting a full bladder in sucks, is it any different on this pack? The opening of this pack is what makes it very interesting, that and it being a Mystery Ranch design.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i LOVE my BFM, and seems you can find new DCU packs for under $120 now new (i picked mine up for $75).

Not quite the mystery ranch style, but has one main compartment, 2 smaller internal zippered compartments, and 3 outer pouches (think Motherlode with 3 MOLLE pouches). easily holds all my gear, 2 100oz bladders, and a Blackhawk compression pouch kit for extra clothes and sleeping back/pad. very heavy duty, largest pack under the CB name without a modular frame design.  It's my camping/BOB, and wears well with the waist belt. I have yet to get fatigued shoulders from wearing this pack, even with it weighted down quite a bit with gear.  Side pouches fit MREs perfectly, as well as the MOLLE webbing holding chem lights, radio pouch, etc perfectly.

The BFM does rock, the medical insert kicks even more ass.  I had a doc that used it as primary carry over a custom M5.

I use his old bag now.

ETA:  The zippered hydration reservoir pocket on the back is perfect for an armor plate.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
 I'll try and get some pics this next week or so.

any luck with this yet
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't know about that exact pack, but I do own a Camelbak BFM which has been through dozens of field rotations, airports for block leaves and strapped to the outside of tracks.  It and the issue 3 Day Assault Pack are the rulers by which all my packs are measured against before I purchase.

EDIT Got the pack name switched
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top