Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2008 6:16:27 PM EDT
Mystery Ranch packs don't get mention, so I'll try and help fix that by posting these pics and info.

I stuffed the pack with pillows and clothes to show full volume.

here's an inside look
on the left is the radio pocket that can also be used for hydration reservoirs.
I use a Tactical Tailor Intermediate 3L hydration 'pack' that fits perfect. looking straight down notice the 'false' bottom that seperates the sleeping bag compartment from the main load which can be un-hooked to make the main load compartment bigger

here's the sleeping bag compartment.

for those that dislike top loaders, it has a center zip access also.

the top lid also detaches to be a daypack with it's own shoulder straps

here are some "action" pics

any questions about any thing I forgot, just ask and I'll try to answer.

Link Posted: 9/10/2008 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice. Whats the damage for one of those?

CXS
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
it's $600 and 6000c.i.
my Kifaru ZXR ( which did'nt 'work' for me ) was $590 and 4400c.i.

mysteryranch.com/packs/59/Grizzly/
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice

Made right in my home town
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
That is one nice pack. How much does it wiegh empty?

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That is one nice pack. How much does it wiegh empty?

the web site says 8lbs 15 oz, I guess that sounds better than 9lbs, but it feels lighter then my ZXR which is listed at some 7lbs, but I never did weigh them side by side, it just felt that way when I lifted them when empty.

for pure value though, the Kodiak is only two oz's and $30 more, but 1000 more ci's. I did'nt get that one cause I know my dumb ass would then have to fill it with 7000ci of crap
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#7]
reminds me very much of my Arc Teryx "Echo"
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the Nice Cerebrus and I love it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Mystery Ranch is considered top-notch gear in backpacking circles. I'm sure their military stuff is super high quality.
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like a decent alternative to the Kifaru EMR. I would have considered one of these if I had known about them before I got the EMR, but prefer to have MOLLE webbing so the EMR would likely have still made the cut.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 1:50:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
but prefer to have MOLLE webbing so the EMR would likely have still made the cut.

there was a time I thought that also ( when I had my Kifaru's ), but soon found out that all those added pouches just added more weight ( exposed PALS is a man law violation ) and it just covered up the camo ( which Mystery Ranch does not charge extra for, or the plain pack are just more, I don't know ) I do have a couple of Emdom large shingles on the side to hold small light things.

I have also tried out a Kifaru pod on the bottom ( for dirty and wet stuff ) and I can still use a Kifaru back pouch, if I really want to.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 3:52:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

How is the suspension different btw the two packs? I wish I could try those two on side by side.

they are the same in respect to that the waist belt takes all the weight and the shoulder straps just hold the pack to your back.

you can read my rant about the ZXR not working on the Kifaru forum, in the pack adjustment thread, the last post is by Mel, responding to me, and yes I called him and talked for over an hour. he suggested to really bend the stays. well that only helped a bit, but now the bottom of the stays were digging into my back so that was a no go, the lumbar pad on the Kifarus is pretty lame.

which brings up another point, that you don't have to adjust the 100 different straps to get the thing on and fit you. although I think the the power-pull waist belt adjustment is pretty slick and I might try to make something ( plastic loops from supply captain ) that does the same thing.

here's some info from the Mystery Ranch web site

Overkill Guide Frame
The Overkill Guide frame is the ultimate internal frame. Stiff framing, aggressive load transfer and flexible harnessing make this pack a dream with 60 to 100 pounds. Two fiberglass composite rods run parallel behind a strong plastic framesheet to create a highly stable mainframe that insulates your back from the pressure of heavy loads. They also provide a direct channel along the length of the pack that transfers the load to our patented Five Segmented Lumbar Wrap. The Overkill Futura Yoke is two inches wider than the Futura Yoke used in the standard Guide frame packs. This extra two inches with the addition of dual aluminum stays reduce any sway to a minimum for better stability with those really heavy loads.

Overkill Futura Yoke
A Velcro anchored telescoping yoke system that can be adjusted to fit your torso length. This yoke is much like the Futura Yoke but two inches wider and it has two aluminum stays instead of one. The added framing and width increases the stability and strength of the yoke. Once the yoke is properly adjusted, the curve of the aluminum stays automatically contours to match the shape of your back. The yoke is available in three different sizes to ensure the perfect fit.

Cush Lumbar Wrap
This lumbar system consists of five different segments that can move independently of each other to perfectly conform to the specific structure of your waist. The ensures complete contact across your lower back and waist distributing the weight more evenly to decrease pressure points while increasing support. A molded outer shell with 3D shaping structures the waistbelt segments to decrease sag. The shells are lined with a soft open-celled foam pad that provides the cush and doesn’t get slimy when you sweat. Dual densities of foam are combined to make the lumbar pad cushy and breathable against your body while retaining the stiffness needed for effective load transfer. An aluminum stay sits behind the center segment to shape the lower portion of the pad to the curvature of your lower back. This stay extends upwards towards the middle of the pack to integrate with the upper bag framing. Interchangeable waistbelt pads come in three different sizes to insure a great fit.

I'll post some pics of the back pouch and pod on the pack later.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Looks like a decent alternative to the Kifaru EMR. I would have considered one of these if I had known about them before I got the EMR, but prefer to have MOLLE webbing so the EMR would likely have still made the cut.

alright here's an example of what you *could* do to add more to it, a'la EMR.
it's not how I run it, just showing you can add more, if needed.
a Kifaru back pouch on the back and side, and a med pod on bottom ( with a pillow stuffed in it )

Link Posted: 10/22/2008 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#15]
That would be neat to have.  Can't justify a $600 pack though.  Guess I'll have to stick with my halftrack.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#16]
another member of the 'I want it cheap or free Arfcom crowd' thanks for chiming in
Link Posted: 10/23/2008 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
alright here's an example of what you *could* do to add more to it, a'la EMR.
it's not how I run it, just showing you can add more, if needed.
a Kifaru back pouch on the back and side, and a med pod on bottom ( with a pillow stuffed in it )

i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/bb868/GEDC0138.jpg

That works out pretty well!
Link Posted: 10/23/2008 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That would be neat to have.  Can't justify a $600 pack though.  Guess I'll have to stick with my halftrack.

I didn't want a $600 pack either, but I kept buying cheaper ones that didn't offer the features or size that I wanted. Finding the right pack cost me more like $1200 by the time I got it right. I wish I would have just ponied up and paid the $600 in the first place now. I had the same problem with night vision over the last 15 years... A set of American PVS7's were $1900 15 years ago, so I bought a cheaper, inferior Russian goggle. Those goggles sucked so bad that I didn't use them over the 10 years I had them and broomed them for $200 and ate $400 since they cost me $600. Then I started shopping for used PVS7's and found that the same 15 year old PVS7's were selling for the same price used that they were new. So, because I was being cheap, I lost $400 and denied myself the use of those $1900 goggles for 10 years.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#19]
quality gear is ALWAYS worth the extra cost.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top