[#3]
Yep, I had one in each caliber setup the same
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone here use a 20ga H&R?
View Quote

Yes, mine is a Model 58 20ga.  It's a lot more comfortable to shoot than the 12ga, especially after putting the lighter Choate furniture on it; it still thumps pretty hard with 3" buck or slugs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a couple matched pairs as well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

I use a New England Firearms Pardner 20ga.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#7]
This is the model I am looking at getting.

Pardner Compact 20GA
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:09:52 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Can't go wrong with it. I've had mine since I was 6 or 7 (don't remember the year I got it) and it has been a great tool on so many hunts for duck and dove.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:06:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Question:

I would like to use the chop saw method to cut my barrel. Is there a good trick to making sure the cut is square with center-line of the bore? I know the "best" way is to use a lathe but I am specifically looking for tricks and technique that can be used without a lathe.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Hose clamp and a hack saw followed by a file and a straight edge, like the base of a wood plane.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

H&R Model 158:

Storage cavity in the buttstock:

Contents thereof:

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Bumpity

It appears Eagle has discontinued the stock shell holder/pouch that they used to make for shotguns (This is the model I'm looking for)- has anyone found a decent replacement product?  I've found a couple of Chinese versions on several airsoft websites (example here), but know nothing of their quality.  My experiences with Chinese gear is that the zippers always seem to fail.

ETA- After doubling down on my GoogleFoo I found Triad Tactical makes a version that should work well even if it is a bit pricier than the airsoft version.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bumpity

It appears Eagle has discontinued the stock shell holder/pouch that they used to make for shotguns (This is the model I'm looking for)- has anyone found a decent replacement product?  I've found a couple of Chinese versions on several airsoft websites (example here), but know nothing of their quality.  My experiences with Chinese gear is that the zippers always seem to fail.

ETA- After doubling down on my GoogleFoo I found Triad Tactical makes a version that should work well even if it is a bit pricier than the airsoft version.
View Quote

These are not exactly the same, but Spectre gear has both shot shell pouches and shot shell holders.  

I have not used either of these specific products, nor do I know which one might fit single-shot shotguns, but I have several of their slings and mag pouches for rifles and they are good quality products.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

These are not exactly the same, but Spectre gear has both shot shell pouches and shot shell holders.  

I have not used either of these specific products, nor do I know which one might fit single-shot shotguns, but I have several of their slings and mag pouches for rifles and they are good quality products.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bumpity

Someone should buy a few of the shot shell pouches and tell us which one works best with H&R single shots.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Someone should buy a few of the shot shell pouches and tell us which one works best with H&R single shots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bumpity

I use the cheapie elastic band type.  I think mine was an Allen brand.  It was like $5  Works great.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw these at the last NRA show, they seemed really nice I'm going to try one out.

Shell Holders
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I keep an H&R 20 gauge Pardner in my barn as a . . . "barn gun". Go figure.  I don't concern myself with its appearance. Works great in that role.

I can grab it quickly and use it to eliminate small pests with #9 shot or grab it if I have to go out in the field and don't want to trudge back up to the house for a "real" gun.   You'd be surprised how effective a 20 gauge with modified barrel can be for many purposes.  Yes, I keep some slugs and buckshot with it too.  It is my frequent "walk around" gun on my property below the barn, just because it is so light and handy.  I hunt with an autoloader or a nice double, when shotguns are appropriate, but for just walking around, I usually find myself with it in my hand.  It has dispatched a pretty big water moccasin I walked up on, too.   For walking around load, I usually have #5 or #6 lead shot in the chamber.

Hard to beat the versatility.   In SHTF, you can keep yourself alive a long time with one of these..  Deadly on small game and even deer at reasonable distances.  Keep a plentiful supply  of good variety ammo, and as Hank Junior says,  "a country boy can survive."  It is also easy to break down and reassemble quickly if concealment is needed.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 4:49:47 AM EDT
[#19]
It's a cute gun, but I would want something else for defense. Even Biden recommends "2" shots.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I use the cheapie elastic band type.  I think mine was an Allen brand.  It was like $5  Works great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bumpity

I think mine is a Winchester brand from Wal-Mart but yeah, same thing and I think it was $5 too.  I like that I can role it around to the other side if I want to shoot left handed for some reason but I've been thinking about the pouch as I can carry not only shells, but a few other items such as my .38 adapter and a couple of shells for it, a small compass, a piece of cleaning rag, etc.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You can also pick up one or two of these rifled chamber adapters to increase the versatility.  

Short Lane
View Quote

Very interesting...
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 8:27:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's a cute gun, but I would want something else for defense. Even Biden recommends "2" shots.
View Quote

Nobody's saying it should be a primary defensive arm but for someone on a budget it could work with some practice or it could be pressed into service as such if it's the handiest tool i.e. a barn gun.  While it'll never beat an autoloader or a good pump you'd be surprised how quickly you can load and fire the single shot with some practice- see the Thunder Ranch video with Clint Smith demonstrating for an example.  I can kit two skeets with mine pretty consistently when I try (mine is threaded w/ choke tubes, not cylinder bore).      
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I have loved reading through this entire thread.

I have been using my NEF 12 ga Single Shot for years to bust clays or small game.

Now, I will offer the critique that this thread does not have enough action shots!!!

Here I am, a couple of years ago, busting a clay with my 12ga single shot. Nothing left, but a cloud of dust. I love this picture.

Also, I'm going hunting tomorrow morning. I love stalking around the farm with this gun, during the convergence of all the hunting seasons, because I can keep deer slugs, groundhog/turkey shot, & rabbit/squirrel shot on hand.  Will post a pic of the quarry (hopefully a deer, but maybe just small game) with my single shot later this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#24]
bump

How much should I expect to pay a gunsmith to cut down the barrel to 18.5? Thinking hard about getting an H&R and doing what you guys are doing.

Also, why doesn't H&R make a compact 12ga?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
bump

How much should I expect to pay a gunsmith to cut down the barrel to 18.5? Thinking hard about getting an H&R and doing what you guys are doing.

View Quote

Own a hacksaw, masking tape, and sandpaper? Cheap guns are great practice for DIY.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 1:13:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Got a 20ga topper junior.

How can I attach a red dot sight to it?

I hear you can't drill and tap it. What could I do?

JB Weld? Braze?
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:18:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm pretty sure the threaded lug for attaching the foregrip is brazed so you should be able to do the same thing with a section of rail.  A cheaper and far less cooler option would be to add one of those snap on XS Sights with the light tube.  I've got one on mine currently and it works OK although I'd rather have some ghost ring sights.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Topper jr 20 gauge with a fresh paintjob, maxpedition velcro saddle. and now sporting a chinese sks sling
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:42:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/vmLM4Epl.jpg
Topper jr 20 gauge with a fresh paintjob, maxpedition velcro saddle. and now sporting a chinese sks sling
View Quote

Very nice job.  20 gauge is my go to shotgun round and I always seem to like them all!
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

JB Weld? Braze?
View Quote

Loctite Black Max is used to attach front sights to barrels. If the parts are clean it should make a very strong and resilient joint. It is worth a try anyway.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:50:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Loctite Black Max is used to attach front sights to barrels. If the parts are clean it should make a very strong and resilient joint. It is worth a try anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JB Weld? Braze?

hmmmm.................off to the bat cave
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:34:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
bump

View Quote

Measure twice, cut once. I put some painters tape around the barrel, marked a cut line on the tape, cut through and then filed flat. A little Birchwood Casey cold blue on the cut, and it's nice and short now. Still legal, but overall shorter than a standard length Louisville Slugger. This is a 20ga.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Measure twice, cut once. I put some painters tape around the barrel, marked a cut line on the tape, cut through and then filed flat. A little Birchwood Casey cold blue on the cut, and it's nice and short now. Still legal, but overall shorter than a standard length Louisville Slugger. This is a 20ga.

<a href="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/ld7x/media/Guns/548883_10151433701194753_344067966_n_zps4a2fc1d5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/ld7x/Guns/548883_10151433701194753_344067966_n_zps4a2fc1d5.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
bump

<a href="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/ld7x/media/Guns/548883_10151433701194753_344067966_n_zps4a2fc1d5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/ld7x/Guns/548883_10151433701194753_344067966_n_zps4a2fc1d5.jpg</a>

Man that thing looks sweet.  

Good job.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Good job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
bump

Good job.

Thank you. I should also note that I did not reinstall the bead sight, it's fairly easy to sight down the barrel for shot loads.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Bumpity.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
bump

I love the stock on that! Is that original or did you refinish it?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
bump

all original
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thank you. I should also note that I did not reinstall the bead sight, it's fairly easy to sight down the barrel for shot loads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
bump

Good job.

I epoxied one of these on - real secure - http://www.amazon.com/HiViz-Plain-Barrel-Fiber-Shotgun/dp/B0002INN3G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1420999914&sr=8-3&keywords=fiber+optic+shotgun+sights

Jeff
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Bumpity
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:59:12 AM EDT
[#40]
I have two H&R's on Lay-A-Way at a pawn shop....   they were a lot more than I wanted to pay on them but, I have 10 months to pay off $110.00 a piece...

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:21:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have two H&R's on Lay-A-Way at a pawn shop....   they were a lot more than I wanted to pay on them but, I have 10 months to pay off $110.00 a piece...

View Quote

Damn that's a lot to pay for a single shot H&R! I buy them for no more than $50 each. There out there if you look a little!

I had a friend drop an H&R off here today. It's an older one but still in excellent mechanical condition. I offered $35 for it but I had to pay $40.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#42]
I got my last 20GA H&R on gunbroker for $95 I think (two years ago maybe?)  The prices seem to have gone up quite a bit since though...  Just a quick look and I don't see much new for under $150.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Single
Utilitarian
Tactical
Shotguns

The two top ones are H&Rs and the bottom is a Rossi.  All three have been chopped to 18.25" and the two H&Rs have shortened butt stocks.  I'm going to shorten the stock on the Rossi as soon as I find a recoil pad for it.  I have two more of the front sights coming from Brownells.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Nice!!
I especially like the use of a bandolier and speed strips for the different loads.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Which are widely imported and available thanks to the cowboy action shooting gang.

Other stuffs that are available:

Pedersoli 20-Gauge Baker Cavalry Shotgun for some front stuffing love
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_217858_927_01?hei=110&wid=380
And the O/U get the short love too.
Stoeger Condor Outback
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/images/condor_outback_large_blue_walnut.jpg
Mossberg Maverick O/U
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE7ggt19N-dsXjZh9yjoeg-0dT8v8mr5McEmOcKjiAZwn2ztw9QA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a single shot is good are the double barrels even better?
And a lot more expensive. Plus, the barrels may not be soldered together the complete length which gives the possibility of them separating during firing.

And the idea of hacking up classic circa 1930 gems would be worse than some of the bubba jobs I've seen done to 1903 Springfields.
Some of the side-by-side shotguns have been available in a 'coach gun' version, which is already cut to less than 20 inch barrel length.
Which are widely imported and available thanks to the cowboy action shooting gang.

Other stuffs that are available:

Pedersoli 20-Gauge Baker Cavalry Shotgun for some front stuffing love
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_217858_927_01?hei=110&wid=380
And the O/U get the short love too.
Stoeger Condor Outback
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/images/condor_outback_large_blue_walnut.jpg
Mossberg Maverick O/U
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE7ggt19N-dsXjZh9yjoeg-0dT8v8mr5McEmOcKjiAZwn2ztw9QA

I love this thread. I was searching back through the pages and saw this post about the Pedersoli 20ga Baker shotgun. I like these, but there are a few features I don't like about them:

1-They are 20ga. I already hunt pheasant with a 12ga Pedersoli SxS and I didn't want to stock different components for this toy.

2-Single trigger. I've read of some issues with single triggers on these and wanted to avoid it. I shoot Modern Skeet with a 12ga Stoeger Coach Gun that I chopped to 18-1/4" and never found the double triggers to be an issue. I'm just as fast with them as I am with a single trigger SxS.

My solution: keep an eye on Gunbroker for a used Pedersoli 12ga SxS muzzleloader. I paid $120 for my first one at a LGS about 25 years ago and it's served me well. I've shot a lot of pheasants with it. So I kept looking and eventually found another Pedersoli on Gunbroker with a Buy It Now of $140 shipped. I ordered it up, brought both of them to my club and patterned them both. I decided to keep the one which patterned the best for pheasants and make my own version of the Baker with the other. The patterns were half the size on my new Pedersoli so I chopped my original. I looked through my pics and discovered I don't have any close up pics of it. Even though this pic is partially obscured, I think you get the idea!

Quoted:
I like the vent rib on short barrels. Depending on the receiver sometimes it looks better to leave it. One of the coolest short shoguns I have com across was a old model 12 with the solid rib that had been cut down.

Agreed. I'd leave the vent rib on it. When I make my 870 SBS is going to have a vent rib and I'm having it threaded for choke tubes by Mike Orlen.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#46]
bumpity
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:36:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Bump

I'm back into an AM treadmill grind and I kill time watching YouTube videos.
Steve Canterbury loves the single shot 12 gauge shotgun & every time he
breaks one open I think of this thread... so good it should be stickied.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Bump

I'm back into an AM treadmill grind and I kill time watching YouTube videos.
Steve Canterbury loves the single shot 12 gauge shotgun & every time he
breaks one open I think of this thread... so good it should be stickied.
View Quote

Steve Canterbury? You mean Dave?  -Yes I agree, this should be a sticky.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Anyone used Aguila minishells in these?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Why are all the multi caliber adapters  around 3"?

Could you (somebody), make  adapters that were maybe 12" long? Seems it would solve the accuracy and velocity issues so many complain about with those adapters.
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top