Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2016 10:57:41 AM EDT
I am planning to buy a basic 1911 colt 45 in Stainless, and the choices I have are the series 70 reproduction and the 1991A1 series 80. I understand that the series 80 gun is a budget version of the 1911 and the series 70 is the one with the better finish. The 1991 has some features that I like such as the lowered ejection port, and the 3-dot sights, neither of which the series 70 has. That being the case, it is hard for me to understand how the series 70 is really any better. Is the series 70 better in terms of durability? Am I somehow buying an inferior gun with the series 80? please let me know. Thanks, Dave
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#1]
One is not "better" than the other, simply different. The 70 has the WWII look and no firing pin safety. The 1991 has the older/original M1911 look and a firing pin safety. I prefer the 70's series myself and definitely in BLUE.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Leaving "better" aside, I would pick the Series 70 or even earlier, before they started adding the lawyer parts.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Pick the one you want with the features you need. 80/70 series differences, gunsmiths figured out how to do a 80 series trigger oh some 20 years ago if not more.

Jeff Cooper:
"On a much more practical level, we noted a profusion of what may be called "1911 clones" manufactured by various sorts of gunmakers in response to the understanding that a properly designed, major caliber service pistol answers an ongoing need. Most of you who read this now own one or more serviceable pistols of this type, so reproduction has little appeal for you. However it is interesting to see how the handgun revolution of the 20th century evolved. In 1920 no one had any use for the "Yankee Fist." Today it is obvious that the need is there. I am often asked which manufacturer I favor, and I have no clear answer to this. Quality control changes from time to time, and I do not have sufficient statistical base for an opinion. We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes."
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a small triangular metal plate with 3 holes in it that will make them equal.

That being said, as someone who has has a series 80 malfunction because of the extra parts, I would choose a 70 any day of the week.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The Series 70 guns will have an arched mainspring housing and short trigger and no Series 80 firing pin safety.

The 1991 series will have the Series 80 firing pin safety, and comes with an flat mainspring housing and long trigger.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both series 80 and pre-series 80 Colts, and I can honestly say that they are both just as good for my purposes. Difference between the trigger pulls are negligible, all work with no issues. Replace all springs on a regular basis and there should be no problems.

Whether a new Colt is a series 80 or pre-series 80 makes no difference to me in a purchase. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#7]
My only beef with my 80 is that the rear sight was not centered when I got it. I did not notice it until I shot it. It looked centered, but when measured it was way off. I thought it was me and not my new mighty Colt. The white dots don't stay put either. I have to re-do them with nail polish once in a while.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Why ever mess with Series 80 junk if you don't have to?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Springfield Armory

i would avoid, or replace the series 80 junk
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#10]
The key word in your post is "stainless".  Do some research on the series 70 and the year of manufacture to see if they were having problems with the steel galling at the slide rail surfaces.  

I recall reading about this, and would error toward the newer pistol to insure good metallurgy.  The Schwartz safety is easy to eliminate, so don't let that hold you back.

I built a pretty nice custom with a 1991-a1 stainless pistol.  It still needed all of the typical work a Colt usually needs to feed and eject reliably, and needed a match barrel bushing to tighten up the groups.  

There are better choices out there than Colt.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Springfield Armory

View Quote

I would pick most Springfield Armory 1911s over just about any Colt, unless the Colt was priced extremely favorably.  

No need to hide the truth.

/Has 4 Kimbers.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#12]
My 1991A1 had a plastic trigger and mainspring housing, the plunger tube wiggled loose, and the staked front sight flew off and got lost during a range session.  It was my first gun and a huge disappointment.

I'd get a Springfield if I were in the market for another 1911.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pick the one you want with the features you need. 80/70 series differences, gunsmiths figured out how to do a 80 series trigger oh some 20 years ago if not more.
View Quote

This.

If you wanted an "original" style 1911 (no beavertail, upgraded sights, ect) I would go for the Series 70 just because the old guns didn't have the Series 80 parts in them, and I like an arched mainspring housing more than a flat one.

I really don't care for the Series 80 stuff (it just seems the same as the lock on a Smith to me), but if I was going to get something like a Rail Gun or something, it being Series 80 isn't going to stop me from getting it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 6:37:23 AM EDT
[#14]
1991 has a poorer finish than the 70's repro fro what I've seen
1991a was a cheapified mass market 1911 and from what I recall the metal wasn't up to snuff.
don't know if that is tru of the 70's repro...
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I would like  to say the things that are brought up about the entry 80's are not true, but........ Anyway, you get what you pay for. I would have liked no MIM parts, and a stainless MSH. Those can be added as needed. I doubt they will add any value or performance advantages. I just want them. My sources claim the entry level Colts are better guns other entry level priced 1911's from what I have been told. They sell/service and build them for a living. I paid less than $800 for my stainless 80. Blue would have been $675. A 70 would have been much more. I wanted the safety features. No regrets though. The dealer I ordered from mentioned the rumored problems with the extractors. None to be had to this point. I would not pay $1195 like some  dealers are getting. That is nearly criminal shit in my opinion.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
1991 has a poorer finish than the 70's repro fro what I've seen
1991a was a cheapified mass market 1911 and from what I recall the metal wasn't up to snuff.
don't know if that is tru of the 70's repro...
View Quote

I bought a used 1991 blued.  New roll Mark, wood grips, aluminum trigger.  Finish is polished on the slide/frame flats.  Basic government model with spur hammer, old style grip safety.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that the frame or slide steel is problematic.

Do you have any links or other info to determine if mine has any out of the box issues?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The key word in your post is "stainless".  Do some research on the series 70 and the year of manufacture to see if they were having problems with the steel galling at the slide rail surfaces.  

I recall reading about this, and would error toward the newer pistol to insure good metallurgy.  The Schwartz safety is easy to eliminate, so don't let that hold you back.

I built a pretty nice custom with a 1991-a1 stainless pistol.  It still needed all of the typical work a Colt usually needs to feed and eject reliably, and needed a match barrel bushing to tighten up the groups.  

There are better choices out there than Colt.
View Quote

...Colt never made an original 70 series gun in Stainless.

Their 70 series reissues, yes. But never an original in stainless. Detonics was the one that cracked that nut, and it wasn't until the 80s that Colt started making guns in Stainless (after someone spilled Detonic's formula). Randall and others tried, but never got it right, and led to galling slides.

Also...the S80 guns don't use the Swartz safety setup...it's different in nearly every way, and the S80 safety setup is far superior...

And like others said, the S80 guts of today are way better than they were when they were first figuring it out. I don't mind it at all and in fact just picked up a new Colt Combat Unit, with the safety...it's a little bit more of a PITA to re-assemble after doing a detail strip but it's not totally terrible. I think this is my 3rd or 4th S80 gun? Just need to remember to push the plunger arm down when re-assembling so the slide goes all the way on
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#18]
As far as any qualitative differences these days, I doubt there are any, really. Some minor details -

The S80 will have a bit more dehorning done at the factory; not a lot, but enough to be noticeable when you hold them side-by-side, especially on the hammer (my S70 hammer was flat; the S80 hammer was dehorned/rounded at the rear edges)
The S80 will come with a long trigger and flat MSH; the S70 will come with a short trigger and arched MSH
Obviously, the S80 internals
...and I think that's just about it for differences. Slides, frames, barrels, metal, materials...they'll be identical.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#19]
A newer manufacture series 80 O1991 is the best base 1911 you can buy.

I wouldn't buy it in stainless because that's retarded, but it's your preference.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As far as any qualitative differences these days, I doubt there are any, really. Some minor details -

The S80 will have a bit more dehorning done at the factory; not a lot, but enough to be noticeable when you hold them side-by-side, especially on the hammer (my S70 hammer was flat; the S80 hammer was dehorned/rounded at the rear edges)
The S80 will come with a long trigger and flat MSH; the S70 will come with a short trigger and arched MSH
Obviously, the S80 internals
...and I think that's just about it for differences. Slides, frames, barrels, metal, materials...they'll be identical.
View Quote

If I remember correctly:
-S80 slide has a lowered ejection port
-S80 has 3 dot sights instead of all black
-S70 has a blackened barrel. Why they didn't blacken the barrel hood as well I will never know.
-S70 MSH is aluminum, S80 plastic

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Springfield Armory

View Quote

And you get the special Brazilian model!

I kid, I kid!

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I kid, I kid!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Springfield Armory

I kid, I kid!

They no longer use Imbel for manufacture of 1911 parts.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I know, that is why I was kidding!

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A newer manufacture series 80 O1991 is the best base 1911 you can buy.

I wouldn't buy it in stainless because that's retarded, but it's your preference.
View Quote

Pftttt. Stainlessist....... I like being able to fix the scratches I get from time to time without much to do. I have gotten very good at it. Is there anyplace to get stainless replacements for the MIM parts with the same "grain" that don't have to be fitted by a real smith? (first 1911 purchased less than a year ago)
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I would go with the series 70 personally don't have much use for series 80. As for the replacement parts they will all need to be fitted most are simple enough to do if you have any mechanical skill. I would use Wilson or EGW parts and Harrison for the Ignition parts.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted: I would pick most Springfield Armory 1911s over just about any Colt, unless the Colt was priced extremely favorably.  

No need to hide the truth.

/Has 4 Kimbers.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#27]
The series 70 reissue doesn't suffer any set backs. Oh no, it doesn't have a lowered ejection port... It works just fine, and doesn't mangle brass. The s80 has the super awesome firing pin safety that makes the gun 87% more safe... It works alright, until it doesn't. Firing pin block plunger peening IS a thing. S80's triggers can be made awesome... So fucking what. If it didn't have that shit in there in the first place, it wouldn't need to be worked over to be made duty acceptable.

The S70 Government model is a plain jane gun, but comes with shootable sights, decent trigger, metal arched mainspring housing, and is pretty accurate. Not to mention reliable, and pretty to look at.

Buy you one of these...

If you still crave a series 80 afterwards, buy one of these...

It's 100% boner inducing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The series 70 reissue doesn't suffer any set backs. Oh no, it doesn't have a lowered ejection port... It works just fine, and doesn't mangle brass. The s80 has the super awesome firing pin safety that makes the gun 87% more safe... It works alright, until it doesn't. Firing pin block plunger peening IS a thing. S80's triggers can be made awesome... So fucking what. If it didn't have that shit in there in the first place, it wouldn't need to be worked over to be made duty acceptable.

The S70 Government model is a plain jane gun, but comes with shootable sights, decent trigger, metal arched mainspring housing, and is pretty accurate. Not to mention reliable, and pretty to look at.

Buy you one of these...

http://oi58.tinypic.com/1oattk.jpg

If you still crave a series 80 afterwards, buy one of these...

http://oi65.tinypic.com/25ahllg.jpg

It's 100% boner inducing.
View Quote

The problem is those repros have the S80 sights just without dots, originals had late-war style GI sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top