Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2004 8:17:16 PM EDT
My CCW paperwork should be coming through soon, and I had some money left over from getting married on Sunday and wanted something to show for it besides paying bills with it.  I had been deliberating and deliberating and I went through a process of elimination to get to this:

Caliber is 9mm.  I was tempted to go with a .40, but they didn't have one in stainless and I figure this thing might be quite a firecracker in that caliber.  9mm is more controllable, I can get faster followup shots, and I think 4 or 5 shots of 9mm in the bad guy's thoracic cavity is probably better than 1 or 2 shots of .40.  Stainless won't rust as quickly as the parkerized version when it comes into contact with my oily skin, although I'm still going to have to keep it well oiled for sure.  The gun is big enough that I can put my pinky finger on the grip, which is why the subcompact Glocks weren't really an option.  But its still small enough that it's dwarfed by a full size Beretta, and truly concealable without having to wear a "shoot me vest" all the time in 95 degree August weather.  Plus this was only $439 new in the box with two mags.  Even with an IWB holster and tax I came in under $500 from Bass Pro in Columbia, MO.

So, whaddaya think?  I can't wait to try it out!
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#1]
nice weapon, you'll be happy. Now go buy a BIG box of ammo and cycle it

OH little to close with the trigger finger
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice choice.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Hello, Walmart?  How many boxes of the 100 round value pack Winchester do you have in stock?  Oh that'll do nicely, see you in 20 minutes...

On the trigger finger, its a crappy angle because my left hand was behind the digicam trying to get it to autofocus correctly, so the gun is really, REALLY canted in my right hand.  That's not even close to a proper grip on the gun as you see it in the pic, but it shows how small it is even compared to my smallish hand size.

Bear_B, I don't know why the pics wouldn't work for you.  Its a Springfield XD9 Stainless subcompact.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#4]
it sure is pretty, i like them but i will stick with my 45. i do want one though. i likw them better than my glocks. Ronald
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice gat Duke, now where the hell were you last saturday? Geez, some people...
Seriously, nice pistol you have there and once again congrats on tying the knot.
BTW, I hope business is doing well and hope to see you next month.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#6]
If you order some 40compact mags for it, you'll have a 12rd compact 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#7]
You had some money left over from being married? You lucky guy, that left me broke!

Nice choice of CCW. I will probably end up getting one to give some variety to my current Sig stable of CCWs. I really like the XDs.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Posted a full review here in GD:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=2638010

cal45:  I figure in a month or two I'll buy 3 brand new hi-cap 9mm mags from Springfield after the AWB dies, and keep the ten rounders for range mags.  No need to buy .40 cal mags with the wrong follower when Springfield will have true hicaps soon.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#9]
That's fine - your choice. For what its worth, the folks on xdtalk.com swear that the 40 mags work perfectly in the 9mm XD's.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I get Bernaul 9mm ammo at Academy Sports for $3.86/50 rnds. Beats WalMart!
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice XD.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Is that a Golan?
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice!
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#14]
good choice
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On the trigger finger, its a crappy angle because my left hand was behind the digicam trying to get it to autofocus correctly, so the gun is really, REALLY canted in my right hand.  That's not even close to a proper grip on the gun as you see it in the pic, but it shows how small it is even compared to my smallish hand size.

Just tell 'em it's an action photo just before you pulled it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 4:29:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Picked mine up yesterday, I must admit its a nice shooting pistol.

I had been looking at the XD-subcompact 9mm with the stainless slide and a local funstore when another guy showed up and was looking at them.  After discussing them with one of the guys behind the counter the guy that walked up mentioned he owned both the subcompact and the 4" barrel service model.  

The funstore I went to has a range in their basement and you can rent just about any pistol you can think of there.  The guy that walked up was so happy with his XD's that he offered to let me shoot his 4" at the range to show me how well it shot.  I paid the range fee, bought 100 rounds of 9mm and went into the range.  

Needless to say after about the first three shots I was convinced this was a great pistol.  There was little to no recoil compared to the S&W 6906 I had been carrying.  The gun felt solid in every way.  The trigger was smooth and broke without a whole lot of effort and was not grainy at all.  The gun pointed nicely and sight recovery after each shot was quick and honestly effortless.  

I then rented a XD subcompact from the range and fire another 100 rounds of 9mm through it.  There was a bit more recoil felt but just as described in -Duke-Nukem-'s post the gun is great.  I decided for CCW purposes to go with the subcompact.  

They had a used service model with an OD frame and parkerized slide in .40 for only $300.00 but I wanted the smaller sized subcompact for CCW.  Honestly the 4" service model in .40 will probably only have a bit more bit to it with regards to recoil.  The slide on the used .40 service model looked worn from being used/holstered but I'm sure worked just fine.  For that price I may go back and pick it up today!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top