Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:26:24 AM EDT
[#1]
So is the 380 more difficult to shoot???
Let's find out:
Gunfighter challenge taken with Glock 17, my best time was 1.15/.42 (first shot/split-second shot)
Average was 1.2/.41 for an average total time for 2 shots of 1.61.

Yesterday did challenge again with Glock 42 (380)
4 shots @ .99/.24 last split for a total time of 1.79..guess the lil 380 aint so hard to shoot after all, the group was a bit less than 4"
380 aint so hard to shoot

12yds out
12yds 380
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Good shooting! They really aren't that hard to shoot if you practice with what you carry.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The only issue with my G42 when I first ran it was the skinny grip. The rest of my pistols are all double stacks, so I'm use to my hand being full. Once I got the grip under control the 42 is very accurate and easy to shoot. Took it out with a buddy not to far back who is a 1911 and 45acp fan, he rather enjoyed the little 42, but would have preferred the 238 for the manual of arms.

I would agree with your assesment though, the .380 cartridge is not hard to shoot, little guns can be hard to shoot
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have read this whole thread, sometimes in amazement (from the presented FACTS) others form the stupid comments.

This is the best comment in the whole thread.

I've been carrying for about 30 years. I have pointed my gun at someone with bad intentions twice. Neither time did I have to shoot them and neither time did they ask what caliber it was, they left me alone upon seeing my gun pointed at them.
30 years is a lot of carrying and very little defensive use. I carry my .45acp less and less and my .380 more and more.

I don't know about the rest of you, but i turned my military ID in a LONG time ago.  I carry a fire arm for protection, mine and my loved ones.
When I go out with my wife and/or kids, I tend to dress considerably nicer than i do when I go to work.  The LCP just conceals so much better than my P-320C.

I run the 9mm everyday, but I'm by myself going back and forth to work. I don't go looking for a fight with either weapon.  I have never had to draw on anyone (knock on wood).  But if the occasion ever presents it's self, my first concern is for my family being out of harms way.  The police are paid to fight the bad guys, I'm just trying to protect the ones i love.  I don't care about over penetration or any of that crap.  If I have to shoot a person, I'll stop the threat, and worry about the stupid shit after the court case is over.  

Of course the 9mm is a better round, do i use it for HP. NO, I keep a 12 gauge loaded next to the bed, and a .45 in the night stand (both have lights).

I do like the ballistic testing going on in the thread, this is good information on round choice for everyone.  It has already been said more than enough times, but what ever you can shoot accurately, and can conceal is better than nothing at all.  I'll continue to carry the .380 when dressed for it and the 9mm for daily commutes through the city.

Rant over.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#5]
11" of penetration will get you from sternum to spine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Got in the rest of the ammo today.
This is what will be sent to our official tester sometime next week.
I will try to get some chrony #'s this weekend if possible, might be a slight variance in mv for gel test, 10mm_ will be using a Ruger LCP, I will be using A G42.
Not sure how much difference the .5" of barrel will make.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Earlier in the thread I posted my opinion about why carry a .380 when small 9mms are just so darn close in size.....

Well I need to completely backtrack now since my lust for a Beretta 84 is in high gear....so wtf. Carry what you want, I would be more than happy to carry the big honkenest sexiest long barreled .380 out there when I get my mitts on that 13 +1 Beretta !
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Earlier in the thread I posted my opinion about why carry a .380 when small 9mms are just so darn close in size.....

Well I need to completely backtrack now since my lust for a Beretta 84 is in high gear....so wtf. Carry what you want, I would be more than happy to carry the big honkenest sexiest long barreled .380 out there when I get my mitts on that 13 +1 Beretta !
View Quote

In bold:
Getting men in trouble since before we even know why
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

If the person is just standing there sure if they're holding a gun or knife there is 2 feet of bone and muscle.in front of the sternum
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ive always wanted one too
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Only if you have absolutely nothing bigger.

It beats the he77 out of an empty hand (or a .22 RF of any size).
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If the person is just standing there sure if they're holding a gun or knife there is 2 feet of bone and muscle.in front of the sternum
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure I follow. In what situation could there possibly be 24" of bone and muscle infront of the sternum? If the arm is extended and you fire a round down  through the arm, palm to shoulder, sure. But that's not a sternum shot. Yeah may have 1.5" or so of hand or 4.5" of arm then 12" of airspace to the sternum at worse.

The .380 will slow down if it has to pass through a hand and may stop after shattering an arm, but that next shot should have no problem considering a busted arm is going to drop...
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

On a relatively thin man maybe ...
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm not sure I follow. In what situation could there possibly be 24" of bone and muscle infront of the sternum? If the arm is extended and you fire a round down  through the arm, palm to shoulder, sure. But that's not a sternum shot. Yeah may have 1.5" or so of hand or 4.5" of arm then 12" of airspace to the sternum at worse.

The .380 will slow down if it has to pass through a hand and may stop after shattering an arm, but that next shot should have no problem considering a busted arm is going to drop...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In what situation are you shooting through a nice flat, stationary sternum. Fights are dynamic.

But by your math thats still an extra 6" of bone and muscle, possibly now another 2 layers of a possible leather jacket. Bullets also have a weird tendency to follow structures. so that bullets still might follow the bone and  muscle of the arm.
You think one round of .380 is going to shatter bone and incapacitate a limb? Ive seen multiple rounds of 556 and 762
soviet break bones but not end the fight
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In what situation are you shooting through a nice flat, stationary sternum. Fights are dynamic.
But by your math thats still an extra 6" of bone and muscle, possibly now another 2 layers of a possible leather jacket. Bullets also have a weird tendency to follow structures. so that bullets still might follow the bone and  muscle of the arm.
You think one round of .380 is going to shatter bone and incapacitate a limb? Ive seen multiple rounds of 556 and 762
soviet break bones but not end the fight
View Quote

Just got in from some of that testing.
Your hardcast load recommendation likes to penetrate.
Spoiler...went thru 4 full one gallon water jugs with 2 layers of wet denim on the first jug, it was inside the 5th gallon jug.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Purse swing/bump
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#17]
No, not for me. 9mm +P is the lowest caliber I would ever consider carrying. And I usually carry 10mm most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

No, not for me. 9mm +P is the lowest caliber I would ever consider carrying. And I usually carry 10mm most of the time.
View Quote
I like 10 also.

G20

What load do you carry?

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Gel testing is officially underway.
You can see that later here http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/171082_.html

Guy doing testing e-mailed me after round 1 of tests..."380 will fuck you up"...his words
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#20]
ETA - Never mind. I didn't realize this thread had my question covered.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My wife saw my mnp body guard .380 and laughed. She said what kind of bad guy you going to stop with that lol
   Got me thinking how many of you guys feel comfortable that .380 will stop the threat? What if threat is wearing a thick carhardtt jacket etc?  
   I guess I need to do some research on the .380 rd.
View Quote

My Glock 19 is my preferred carry gun. BUT, I carry a 380 when I can't go bigger. I can't be discovered with a pistol at times. I am not going to leave my gun in the car, if I can avoid it. Not a legal issue, it would just not be viewed as proper in some peoples eyes. If discovered, it would become a point of contention that I would win, but offend some folks involved. It might cost me customers. ($$$$$$). NOT THAT IT IS ANY OF THEIR BUSINESS THOUGH.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My Glock 19 is my preferred carry gun. BUT, I carry a 380 when I can't go bigger. I can't be discovered with a pistol at times. I am not going to leave my gun in the car, if I can avoid it. Not a legal issue, it would just not be viewed as proper in some peoples eyes. If discovered, it would become a point of contention that I would win, but offend some folks involved. It might cost me customers. ($$$$$$). NOT THAT IT IS ANY OF THEIR BUSINESS THOUGH.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife saw my mnp body guard .380 and laughed. She said what kind of bad guy you going to stop with that lol

Got me thinking how many of you guys feel comfortable that .380 will stop the threat? What if threat is wearing a thick carhardtt jacket etc?  

I guess I need to do some research on the .380 rd.

From what I have seen in real and posted tests, the biggest thing is bullet/ammo selection and some practice never hurt.
Right ammo combined with upper chest/cns hits will do the job.

I am really enjoying the testing i have been doing, expanding bullets may be the standard, but penetration cannot be overlooked.

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
,380 defensive ammo has improved enormously over the last couple decades.
Still, I always consider 9x19 the min.
View Quote

This. Shot placement and sufficient penetration are paramount, all else is secondary. IMHO, .380 isn't powerful enough to consistently achieve both expansion and sufficient penetration.
When I carried a .380 it was always w/FMJ.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
This. Shot placement and sufficient penetration are paramount, all else is secondary. IMHO, .380 isn't powerful enough to consistently achieve both expansion and sufficient penetration.

Tomac

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

And that is why I am testing and referring people to real data.

We need to use real facts and tests, I do understand the fmj penetration effect, if you like that then hard-cast are far superior.

Look in the other thread at the testing I have been doing and the actual results posted in the links, it may surprise ya.

See my post above from the gel tester doing this for me right now.

If I had to make a decision today on a carry load based on what I have personally seen so far in my tests, I would go with this 3 way tie (all will meet the fbi gel specs):

Hard cast

Penetrators

XTP in a +P

But forget gel, what about barriers, yep that testing is coming soon.

I carry a G19, but I will not be worried upon leaving the house with my G42.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:02:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

My balance was determined with what I could read online, and ammo availability. The XTP's didn't cycle well, and I had folded over casings (on expensive ammo). I wound up using Gold Dot. I found some HST. I hope it cycles well. If I run the 100 rounds I ordered, I will need zero failures to continue with it as my carry ammo.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

My balance was determined with what I could read online, and ammo availability. The XTP's didn't cycle well, and I had folded over casings (on expensive ammo). I wound up using Gold Dot. I found some HST. I hope it cycles well. If I run the 100 rounds I ordered, I will need zero failures to continue with it as my carry ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tomac

I completely understand, your testing process.

I do the same, but with 200-300  @ 0% failure rate, no matter the pistol or caliber.

If you like, jump over into my ammo testing thread, you may see a bullet you might wanna try, there are also links to detailed and video tests from actual gel.

I hope the hst function and perform well, if I get a chance to buy some locally, I will test those as well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:16:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Hate to be a negative nancy but those HST in .380 come up mighty short on penetration in the tests I've seen.

XTP is just about the only JHP that will expand and still penetrate 12" that I'm aware of. Gold Dots are a good choice too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Hate to be a negative nancy but those HST in .380 come up mighty short on penetration in the tests I've seen.

XTP is just about the only JHP that will expand and still penetrate 12" that I'm aware of. Gold Dots are a good choice too.
View Quote
I concur, the detailed tests of 380, show xtp as the best as far as an expanding jhp goes.

If xtp's wont feed, then I would take a look at hardcast.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Ill try to get some tests done with some sig vcrown
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Ill try to get some tests done with some sig vcrown
View Quote
Awesome.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Gel test results are in.
Link is in the ammo test thread and worth watching.

If you're a nay sayer of the 380 ya might wanna not watch, cause crow tastes kinda bad

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Good video.  Looks like the XTPs loaded by Underwood are the thing.  I'm still not convinced by these new screwdriver rounds.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I completely understand, your testing process.   I do the same, but with 200-300  @ 0% failure rate, no matter the pistol or caliber.
If you like, jump over into my ammo testing thread, you may see a bullet you might wanna try, there are also links to detailed and video tests from actual gel.
I hope the hst function and perform well, if I get a chance to buy some locally, I will test those as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

I completely understand, your testing process.   I do the same, but with 200-300  @ 0% failure rate, no matter the pistol or caliber.

SGAMMO.COM has HST on my last look Monday. Good price as well. I guess I need some cadavers to test ammo with. Anybody got a source? (Bad taste humor, sorry)
Vet I trust says expansion trumps penetration for SD. I don't know. I have never had to shoot lots of people to be able to make a comparison. Thank God.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Good video.  Looks like the XTPs loaded by Underwood are the thing.  I'm still not convinced by these new screwdriver rounds.
View Quote

Those look interesting.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Count me in the "better then nothing but I still consider 9mm the minimum" group.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:44:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Those look interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Those look interesting.
Copy paste from several pages back:

Most in depth 380 testing I have ever seen.

This has been posted often, but if you haven't seen it, it may save you some money if you want to shoot .380.

It is a defensive ammo comparison done of many manufacturers ammo offerings, aprox 30 I believe.

The guy does a great job.

http://youtu.be/GNtPHYwcDts

Here, he reopened the test to try this round and compare it to the winner of the previous test trials.

http://youtu.be/LczfeWK9lHw

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
SGAMMO.COM has HST on my last look Monday. Good price as well. I guess I need some cadavers to test ammo with. Anybody got a source? (Bad taste humor, sorry)

Vet I trust says expansion trumps penetration for SD. I don't know. I have never had to shoot lots of people to be able to make a comparison. Thank God.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tomac

Feral hogs are what you seek.

Broadside front shoulders, vitals are in between them, perfect testing medium that you can then grill

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:52:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Count me in the "better then nothing but I still consider 9mm the minimum" group.

Nah, bump it up a notch, 10mm should be the minimum.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:13:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Good video.  Looks like the XTPs loaded by Underwood are the thing. I'm still not convinced by these new screwdriver rounds.
View Quote

I was curious about these when they started marketing them, I like to try new stuff, still undecided myself.
They are good on barriers as are the hardcast.
I hope to have some time to shoot some barrier type stuff this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I was curious about these when they started marketing them, I like to try new stuff, still undecided myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Good video.  Looks like the XTPs loaded by Underwood are the thing. I'm still not convinced by these new screwdriver rounds.

Having been sucked in early by the Glaser hype, my BS filter automatically engages on the sight of new pistol bullet types.  I'm interested, and I'm sure Jerry Miculek will use them to assemble wooden furniture by driving screws from 50 yards.  I'm just going to wait a few years or a decade, and listen to reports of people, pigs, and deer that have been shot w/ 'em.  If we have a surge of folks suddenly hunting deer w/ Beretta 9x19mm carbines w/ Phillips screwdriver rounds, I'll be very interested.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Having been sucked in early by the Glaser hype, my BS filter automatically engages on the sight of new pistol bullet types.  I'm interested, and I'm sure Jerry Miculek will use them to assemble wooden furniture by driving screws from 50 yards.  I'm just going to wait a few years or a decade, and listen to reports of people, pigs, and deer that have been shot w/ 'em.  If we have a surge of folks suddenly hunting deer w/ Beretta 9x19mm carbines w/ Phillips screwdriver rounds, I'll be very interested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Good video.  Looks like the XTPs loaded by Underwood are the thing. I'm still not convinced by these new screwdriver rounds.

I really want a cx4
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:  I really want a cx4
View Quote

ATI occasionally makes runs of their Hi Point stocks & sells them on eBay.  You can have a look-alike for far less money.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm not reading the whole thread and I don't even carry 380 so have no reason to defend it but when someone says its not enough that's the only thing to laugh at. No one is taking multiple hollow points of any caliber without slowing down significantly or permanently
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:24:24 AM EDT
[#44]
How did the 65gr penetrator perform in gel penetration wise ?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:27:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
How did the 65gr penetrator perform in gel penetration wise ?
View Quote

65gr Underwood load is the defender bullet, penetrator is 90gr, bullets are slightly different.
Watch video, 10mm_ talked to Lehigh about the bullet differences before the test.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I've got an LCP II and as a whole I like the gun but not real crazy about 380 ACP.  However, since the gun is so small I can live with the 380.  
It's the kind of gun where you're going to be pretty close up and if you can put the rounds on target I have no doubt that someone getting a half dozen 380 (9mm sized) holes in their chest isn't going to like it much.  I usually carry Speer Gold Dot 90gr but want to point out the the 380 ACP is the only cartridge that I think FMJ is a viable choice because you're never going to get much expansion with a JHP but you'll get good penetration with a FMJ and that's more important than expansion.  A good blend of expansion and penetration is preferred but is something you rarely get with the 380 ACP.
It's always best to carry something more substantial, and I often carry my XDS .40 in my pocket, it's definitely preferred over the LCP II in terms of power but sometimes you just want really small and light, and that's the biggest advantage of the 380 ACP -- the guns chambered for it.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've got an LCP II and as a whole I like the gun but not real crazy about 380 ACP.  However, since the gun is so small I can live with the 380.  

It's the kind of gun where you're going to be pretty close up and if you can put the rounds on target I have no doubt that someone getting a half dozen 380 (9mm sized) holes in their chest isn't going to like it much.  I usually carry Speer Gold Dot 90gr but want to point out the the 380 ACP is the only cartridge that I think FMJ is a viable choice because you're never going to get much expansion with a JHP but you'll get good penetration with a FMJ and that's more important than expansion.  A good blend of expansion and penetration is preferred but is something you rarely get with the 380 ACP.

It's always best to carry something more substantial, and I often carry my XDS .40 in my pocket, it's definitely preferred over the LCP II in terms of power but sometimes you just want really small and light, and that's the biggest advantage of the 380 ACP -- the guns chambered for it.  
View Quote

Well you are in luck because recent testing has shown a few rounds that meet the fbi gel test specs.
Gold dots don't make the cut, but xtp's do make the cut.

If you insist on a hard nose round, ditch the fmj and get a hardcast or all copper penetrator bullet, as they will probably do more damage.
If you want some links proving any of this let me know.
Good times for the 380, when you can get 13-15" penetration.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well you are in luck because recent testing has shown a few rounds that meet the fbi gel test specs.

If you insist on a hard nose round, ditch the fmj and get a hardcast or all copper penetrator bullet, as they will probably do more damage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did the 102 grain Golden Sabres do?  I have been carrying them in my Glock 42 on the theory that heavier bullets tend to penetrate more and if they expand they might still travel a little farther.  Plus, they hit point of aim and have proven reliable.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

How did the 102 grain Golden Sabres do?  I have been carrying them in my Glock 42 on the theory that heavier bullets tend to penetrate more and if they expand they might still travel a little farther.  Plus, they hit point of aim and have proven reliable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not have them tested but I bet they are in the other series on youtube, I will find em.

Edit:
They did not do well at all, sorry man, they got cut pretty quick.
The testing and review done by ShootingTheBull410 is the most in depth I have seen.
He says no go, link should start about 2-3 minute mark where he is doing his wrap-up.
380 Rem gold sabre
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm not reading the whole thread and I don't even carry 380 so have no reason to defend it but when someone says its not enough that's the only thing to laugh at. No one is taking multiple hollow points of any caliber without slowing down significantly or permanently
View Quote

I suggest you read the FBI account of the infamous Miami Shootout. Platt was a trauma sponge that took a lot of hits/damage w/o slowing down, inflicting numerous casualties before being stopped.
Against 90-95% of BG's, caliber and/or bullet is moot as the BG will voluntarily end the attack upon seeing you armed or being shot at (psychological stop).
Against the aggressive and determined BG, no handgun (regardless of caliber/bullet, barring a hit to the CNS) can be depended upon to reliably stop the attack before the BG can inflict serious/fatal damage.

Tomac
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top