Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/6/2016 9:31:18 PM EDT
Have 2 1911s, 80s AO and new SA LW Champion Operator, never shot a Glock at all. Local range has one in their rental fleet. Figured Id at least give it a spin. Part of me wants to like it and part doesn't.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Try a 17 too.   Night and day difference for me.  I like a fullsize.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here…The 17 ended up fitting me better…
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the G19 well enough. However, the G17 IMHO is the better gun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both the 19 and 17 and like the 19 better, much more concealable and your not giving up performance.  I find the full size guns sit in the safe while the ones more concealable come out more.  But you can go wrong with either one.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Why waste money on renting it when you're going to buy it anyway?
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]
If I should buy, the rental goes to the purchase. However, they are higher than where I would likely buy if I did. Just have to see, my limited handgun experience has only been 1911 and I'm pretty comfortable there. Love the SA I just bought.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#7]
In general 1911 guys will hate a Glock trigger. If you can get past that, it has a lot to offer you.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have both the 19 and 17 and like the 19 better, much more concealable and your not giving up performance.  I find the full size guns sit in the safe while the ones more concealable come out more.  But you can go wrong with either one.
View Quote

Best of both worlds.

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#9]
G19 is too small for me with the tiny grip with the finger grooves that are closer together than on a G17, and a trigger guard that is too tight for a high grip.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Try a xdm, you'll find it more familiar with the sane grip angle and safety of a 1911.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

G17/34 is my favorite Glock but I carry a G19 because it carries that much better for me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In general 1911 guys will hate a Glock trigger. If you can get past that, it has a lot to offer you.
View Quote

Very true. Many shooters struggle with this.  

I'm equally bad with either platform so its not an issue for me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry my G19 Gen. 4 daily and love it. I considered the 17, but the 19 is easier to carry and just as easy to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#14]
When I got my first g19 I had never shot a glockof any kind. I got it for its size, weight, capacity, reliability/ruggedness(on par  with any service handgun).

Its  a tool. You should be able to train yourself through any ergonomic shortcomings you may perceive.

The grip angle was unnatural to me at first too. Now I can go from a glock to a beretta to a 1911 and never think one feels weird.

I may prefer shooting other guns or handling revolvers at a campfire but the g19 really is just so darn practical. And I am impressed with its accuracy. With $15 worth of trigger parts its actually a pretty nice trigger to. Not great, but good
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
G19 is too small for me with the tiny grip with the finger grooves that are closer together than on a G17, and a trigger guard that is too tight for a high grip.
View Quote

Same issue with the G19 finger grooves, so I have the Gen 2 without the finger grooves for concealed carry. Happy, happy, happy!
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#16]
RTF2 or bust

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
RTF2 or bust

<a href="http://s451.photobucket.com/user/jcmendez2005/media/6E5B43CE-CBEE-497C-AB01-5AD945F1F5BD_zpspfohx34p.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq233/jcmendez2005/6E5B43CE-CBEE-497C-AB01-5AD945F1F5BD_zpspfohx34p.jpg</a>
View Quote

Hell yeah.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I would add a 34 to the mix as well, and also a 41

Welcome to the dark side....the guns that work and are not a PITA to clean - do not not need much of that......

Red

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Interested in hearing how it went....  I really like my G26.  I always had a love / hate relationship with my G19.  Would like to try a 17 or a 22.  Maybe even a 21.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Same issue with the G19 finger grooves, so I have the Gen 2 without the finger grooves for concealed carry. Happy, happy, happy!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually didnt mind the finger grooves untill i undercut the trigger guard. That shifted my hand up so I filed the grooves off.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:44:29 PM EDT
[#22]
G19 fits my hands perfectly, finger grooves or not. Trigger on mine is a bit heavy at 6.5lb, but otherwise unremarkable.

My grandad's 50-year-old 1911 that I shot growing up has a much better trigger, but my 9mm has double the capacity and much less recoil. It's scary accurate, too.

Also, I'm getting Gold dots at $22 per 50 rounds for 9mm. I like that price.

I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Every time I get that itch I just pick one up. Then I say "Oh, yeah. That's why." and I put it back down again.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

QFT.

I rotate out between guns, and a G19 is always in the mix somewhere, I don't have one now but in 6 mo ths that may change. It's been 2 guns since I had one so it's about time.

This from a M&P shooter.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 4:30:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
G19 fits my hands perfectly, finger grooves or not. Trigger on mine is a bit heavy at 6.5lb, but otherwise unremarkable.

My grandad's 50-year-old 1911 that I shot growing up has a much better trigger, but my 9mm has double the capacity and much less recoil. It's scary accurate, too.

I like it a lot.
View Quote

That's cheap for that ammo.  You're cheating.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 6:53:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like it a lot.

SGAmmo has 115gr gold dots for $24 a box. I used to get those all the time.

Then I found out that being on very good terms with my LGS proprietor's daughter has its benefits.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I've always preferred shooting a 1911 but shot Glocks for years, the 19 is my least favorite, I shoot the 26 better.  

I have pretty much switched back to the 1911 full time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like it a lot.

I get mine free!
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the way a 19 feels but hate a 17.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#30]
For me, the choice between the 17 and 19 was decided by the fact that I would be buying it first and foremost for IWB carry.  With that in mind, choosing the 19 was easy.  Add to that the fact that I can carry a G17 magazine as a back-up, and I've got the full capacity in a more concealable package with the G19.
I'm a 1911 guy, so the first time I pulled the trigger on the 19 it about made me throw up in my mouth, but after some attention on the bench and a new connector it's much, much better.
And as for the finger grooves, that's why I own a Dremel.
All in all, I couldn't be happier with my 19.
(I'm sure you're aware that the oem sights are sub-par, so factor the replacement cost into your figuring).
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I actually didnt mind the finger grooves untill i undercut the trigger guard. That shifted my hand up so I filed the grooves off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never understood the G17 grip fitting better than a G19 grip until last week when I bought a Gen 4 G19 and held it side by side with my Gen 4 G34 (recently purchased as well). I'll be damned if the G17/34 grip doesn't fit my hand a lot better compared to the G19's.  My only other Glock is a Gen 2 G19 so I had no idea what I was missing/not-missing up till now.  I'm undecided if I want to undercut the new G19 to see if that will make it fit better, or knock the finger grooves off, or just leave it the hell alone.  Probably will go shoot it first before I go nuts with it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had 19's, now I have all 17's, it's not that much bigger.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm a Glock guy, probably always will be, but that being said, I am without A Gock for the first time in a long  time. I'm really starting to give other guns a fair shake. And to be perfectly honest, most other similar Polymer guns, whether they are M&P's, H&K, SIG()320) Xd's, they all feel way more ergonomic in the hand, have a better natural point of aim, and are just as reliable. IMHO

That being said. The 19 is one of the all time best all round, do everything guns.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't say one is better then the other. The G17 is the original and all other Glocks after it are just modified versions of the G17 but I think the G19 is best overall size for a do it all gun IF it fits your hand.

That is a big if because there are many people like me who find the compact frame Glocks (G19, 23, etc.) do not fit their hands as well as the full size frames do (G17, 22. etc.) so for me the G17 wins but if the G19 fit me better, it would be my hands down favorite.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I wouldn't say one is better then the other. The G17 is the original and all other Glocks after it are just modified versions of the G17 but I think the G19 is best overall size for a do it all gun IF it fits your hand.

That is a big if because there are many people like me who find the compact frame Glocks (G19, 23, etc.) do not fit their hands as well as the full size frames do (G17, 22. etc.) so for me the G17 wins but if the G19 fit me better, it would be my hands down favorite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in the same boat, compacts feel weird I my big mitts. In fact, I recently bought a gen4 G17 and putting the big backstrap on it made a huge difference. I've carried a G22 for the last 13 years, shot well over 10,000 rounds through it and it has never felt quite right, not bad, but not "right". With the big backstrap on, for the first time a glock actually feels " right". I've got a buddy who is a 1911 guy and hates glocks because of the grip, and he felt the same way as me once he tried the big back strap.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

I found I could deal with the trigger.  It was the way the Glocks fit my hand I disliked.  I just never felt that I had really good control.  Glocks are not the best for smaller hands IMO.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I found I could deal with the trigger.  It was the way the Glocks fit my hand I disliked.  I just never felt that I had really good control.  Glocks are not the best for smaller hands IMO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Try the Gen 4 with the adapters.  I have big hands... to the point that a regular G20/21 fits well.  On a 17/22 size frame, the large beavertail grip adapter fits best.  On the G21 size, the medium works best.  

If you find that the Gen 3 is too small, get the Gen 4 and install the largest adapter.

That being said, the G43 is way too small for me, but I only have it for when I cannot carry my 17 or 19.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Havent tried it yet, but did just buy another 1911. SA GI Champion from a local pawn.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I wish Glock would make a model using the G17 frame with the G19 slide, like Sigs P220 Carry.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#41]
G19 is probably the best jack of all trades handgun.  It is also very easy to modify trigger/connector/springs if you want...

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Havent tried it yet, but did just buy another 1911. SA GI Champion from a local pawn.
View Quote

You are my favorite 15er

Really, I shoot 1911s and CZs more than anything else. I don't own a glock, but I'm always shooting a friends for a mag or 2, then think I still don't want one.  

FWIW, I shoot pretty regularly in club level IDPA stuff, and our best 2-3 guys run glocks.  Just not for me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Love the GI Champ. I'm a little left with it. Not sure yet if its me or the gun. The trigger is a lot shorter than my LW Champ Operator, but its a bit heavier and seems to come back to target quicker In fact, I'm traveling this week and the GI is what I loaded in my pack. Which BTW is a 5.11 covrt18. First time Ive used it for travel. Its great. Two days worth of clothes, laptop, GI, and the rest of my stuff fit great..

I'm still going to try one. Id also like to try a CZ 75 B. Annnd, would love to try a BHP. Havent seen one in person for years though. And they just seem very pricey.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
Absolutely this. I hate the G19. If I were you, I'd rent both. And if you like neither, rent something with a different grip angle like a S&W M&P or Springfield XD.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Try a xdm, you'll find it more familiar with the sane grip angle and safety of a 1911.
View Quote

This!
Glock doesn't even sound good to say!
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#46]
I started off only shooting 1911's, after trying a G17 they pretty much stay in the safe.  Carry the 19 daily and just picked up a 43 recently.  Still like to shoot my 1911's, but havnt carried one since I bought my 19.  I want to give one of the M&P's a try here soon if I find somebody who owns one.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#47]
I want to be a Glock guy, but I can't get over the mag release.  I'll avoid brands to avert a war, but with my current pistol, I can drop the magazine without having to alter the position of the gun at all.  The only way I can drop a mag on a Glock is to roll my hand around the grip some so my thumb can reach.  I don't like having to shift my grip like that.  Any remedies for this?  And yes, I've handled a G19 at a gunshow and tested this.  Owned a G17 previously and it was just too big and clunky.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I want to be a Glock guy, but I can't get over the mag release.  I'll avoid brands to avert a war, but with my current pistol, I can drop the magazine without having to alter the position of the gun at all.  The only way I can drop a mag on a Glock is to roll my hand around the grip some so my thumb can reach.  I don't like having to shift my grip like that.  Any remedies for this?  And yes, I've handled a G19 at a gunshow and tested this.  Owned a G17 previously and it was just too big and clunky.
View Quote

Has a lot to do with hand size.  My hands arent huge but I can just barely grab the mag release without having to break position.  There are also extended mag releases, I saw that Vickers makes one, but ive never owned any so I couldnt comment on how well they work
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you tried the Gen3 or the Gen4?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the G19 I tried was a Gen 3.  It was just a year or so ago at a gunshow, new in box gun.  The G17 was a well used Gen 2.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top