BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think the G19 I tried was a Gen 3.  It was just a year or so ago at a gunshow, new in box gun.  The G17 was a well used Gen 2.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to be a Glock guy, but I can't get over the mag release.  I'll avoid brands to avert a war, but with my current pistol, I can drop the magazine without having to alter the position of the gun at all.  The only way I can drop a mag on a Glock is to roll my hand around the grip some so my thumb can reach.  I don't like having to shift my grip like that.  Any remedies for this?  And yes, I've handled a G19 at a gunshow and tested this.  Owned a G17 previously and it was just too big and clunky.

Have you tried the Gen3 or the Gen4?

I think the G19 I tried was a Gen 3.  It was just a year or so ago at a gunshow, new in box gun.  The G17 was a well used Gen 2.

I could never get used to gen 2 or gen 3. Had them sold them several times over.

The slightly smaller grip size, wider mag release and better texture makes a HUGE difference for me and I like them now, gen 4 is different enough you have to try one.
The size difference effects the very important trigger reach and mag release reach and having a firmer grip for my hand/finger size.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I tried a 17 and a 19 yesterday. Honestly, I just don't see the allure. They were both ok. Not a 1911 for sure, but I didn't expect it to be.  Theres a seat for every ass. The 19 is almost identical in size to my LW Champion Operator. I might buy one or a 43 if it was a great deal. For now I will just stay with 1911.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I too, like the 17 more.

If they have the M&P 9c, give that one a few rounds as well.

Between the 19 and the M&P 9c, I'll take the M&P, hands down.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#4]
G17 is better IMO as an owner of both.

G43 gets carried and the G17 shot at the range....19 lives in the safe.

I did jump on the PSA VP9 deal so we shall see where it falls in the mix. I've been wanting a G17 frame/19 slide combo size gun for a while.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Well, I tried a 17 and a 19 yesterday. Honestly, I just don't see the allure. They were both ok. Not a 1911 for sure, but I didn't expect it to be.  Theres a seat for every ass. The 19 is almost identical in size to my LW Champion Operator. I might buy one or a 43 if it was a great deal. For now I will just stay with 1911.
View Quote
Comparing a Glock to a 1911 is well,,,,,,,you figured it out.
If you have the funds, use it and abuse it. They are reliable as an anvil, accurate enough and just work. I carried one every day, rarely cleaned it, sweat on it a lot, and forgot about it more often than not.

Not my favorite in the whole wide world of pistols, but I never had any question in my mind that it would work, regardless of conditions, and save my life if needed.

If you just want to check out a striker fired, look at the FNS, or M&P lines. A friend that is a firearms instructor for the local SO, said these 3 are the ones that never once have given a problem during qualifications.

YMMV

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try a 17 too.   Night and day difference for me.  I like a fullsize.
View Quote

Same here, for some reason I shoot the 17 much better than the 19
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
RTF2 or bust

<a href="http://s451.photobucket.com/user/jcmendez2005/media/6E5B43CE-CBEE-497C-AB01-5AD945F1F5BD_zpspfohx34p.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq233/jcmendez2005/6E5B43CE-CBEE-497C-AB01-5AD945F1F5BD_zpspfohx34p.jpg</a>
View Quote

I'll second that motion....

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Did try the 17 and yes I did like it better than the 19. For some reason, that day, I took my 3 1911s, tried the 17 and 19, and shot left with everything but the 19. I'm not a super shot by any means, but I can usually stay at least pretty center at 7 yards. As I said, I would and may buy a 19 or a 43 if the deal was great. I guess everyone should own at least one. Grip angle of course is different, but for a casual shooter like me, didn't make any difference in my shooting.

I did notice the magazines in both guns felt very loose. Is that characteristic? Not used to that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did try the 17 and yes I did like it better than the 19. For some reason, that day, I took my 3 1911s, tried the 17 and 19, and shot left with everything but the 19. I'm not a super shot by any means, but I can usually stay at least pretty center at 7 yards. As I said, I would and may buy a 19 or a 43 if the deal was great. I guess everyone should own at least one. Grip angle of course is different, but for a casual shooter like me, didn't make any difference in my shooting.

I did notice the magazines in both guns felt very loose. Is that characteristic? Not used to that.
View Quote

Become a GSSF member and you can then buy a G19/17 for $425.  

My G19 has a grip reduction and stippling done because the std. grip drives me crazy.  BUT on my G17 (gen3) that I don't carry concealed I put on a Grip Force Adapter that eliminates the hump, and added an inexpensive magwell that really wedges the hand up into the tang of the grip - love holding that gun now.

Fwiw I have also been moving back into the 1911s - just love the platform and want to put more time and effort into shooting and working w/ it since it's much more of a commitment platform to me.  Looking to take a Vickers 1911 class some day...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top