BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Gen 1 & 2 Glocks suck...Gen 3 & 4 are as good as they get.  Don't settle for second best.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Gen 1 & 2 Glocks suck...Gen 3 & 4 are as good as they get.  Don't settle for second best.

LOL.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

gen 2 is the best

finger grooves suck
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

gen 2 is the best

finger grooves suck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

gen 2 is the best

finger grooves suck
Do a little research, Gen 1 & 2's (early 2's) had some significant issues.  I honestly would trust the Ruger or S&W SW9VE over the gen 1 or 2 Glocks.  When you get to gen 3, I'd trust the G 3 & 4 they are rock solid and rank right up their with the best pistols in the world.  

If you don't like finger grooves (and I TOTALLY get that), they're easy enough to remove.  But stick with G3 or G4 and you'll never go wrong.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:...Do a little research, Gen 1 & 2's (early 2's) had some significant issues. ..
View Quote

LOL

I don't have to ,   hell, I was there  

I ran the shit out of a gen2 G22 & G24 in USPSA-IPSC back in the 1990's

They ran good then, and still do.

...but you're right, removing finger grooves is easy
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:05:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
S&W SD9VE
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:16:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it that price range it would be tough to beat the Sig Pro, which in all honesty is a better gun than many priced much higher.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:11:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
S&W SD9VE
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do a little research, Gen 1 & 2's (early 2's) had some significant issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

gen 2 is the best

finger grooves suck
Do a little research, Gen 1 & 2's (early 2's) had some significant issues.

So what are these "significant issues"???
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#9]
If you hunt around enough, a used CZ-75 could be had, or if you really want the ability to mount a light a CZ P07 (which is a great gun) could be had in the $400 range.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:...So what are these "significant issues"???
View Quote

Lack of finger grooves, and MIM parts

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

gen 2 is the best

finger grooves suck
View Quote

Correct.  There is a reason Gen 2 Glocks sell at a premium over Gen 3/4 on the used market, and it's because of the stupid finger groves.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Haven't shot one, but I fiddled with one at a gun shop last week and though the stock trigger and grip angle were much better than a glock.  Ambi mag release if it matters.

Easilly available used for his budget.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any opinions on a Ruger SR9 or S&W SD9VE?

Haven't shot one, but I fiddled with one at a gun shop last week and though the stock trigger and grip angle were much better than a glock.  Ambi mag release if it matters.

Easilly available used for his budget.

These are both excellent guns.  One of my closest friends who is a Marine vet of Khe Sanh with 1-9 has a new SD9VE as a home defense gun and it works all the time. S&W did a good job of redesigning them.  He would not need another gun.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Both the SP2022 and the M&P 9 can be found for a little over $350 if you have patience and know where to look.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Both the SP2022 and the M&P 9 can be found for a little over $350 if you have patience and know where to look.
View Quote

Links for either? I've found about $380, but not much less.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Used Glock, unless it fits their hand really poorly or they find something else used in a similar price range that fits better (P226, M9, etc).

If you're on a budget and buying *one* pistol for defensive use, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to favor some odd brand new handgun over something proven.   The proven handguns being not just reliable, but still reliable when purchased used.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:00:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Get a milsurp off of Aim.  Right now they have BHP's and Stars.
View Quote

This. Star Super B can be had for less than $250.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:03:20 AM EDT
[#17]
He ended up buying an M&P.  He paid between $400-$500 for it.  I cant remember what he said he paid, their dogs were jumping all over me when he was telling me.  I gave him a couple boxes of Hornady Critical Defense to go with it.

He rented one before he bought it.  I wasnt there, but my mother-in-law said he shot it pretty well considering he hasnt shot a gun in quite some time.  My wife and I are planning on going back to the range with him on Sunday to shoot some more.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Can't go wrong with an M&P IMO.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do a little research, Gen 1 & 2's (early 2's) had some significant issues.  I honestly would trust the Ruger or S&W SW9VE over the gen 1 or 2 Glocks.  When you get to gen 3, I'd trust the G 3 & 4 they are rock solid and rank right up their with the best pistols in the world.  

If you don't like finger grooves (and I TOTALLY get that), they're easy enough to remove.  But stick with G3 or G4 and you'll never go wrong.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

gen 2 is the best

finger grooves suck

The Gen 2 Glocks is what built the reputation of Glocks reliability.  The Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks built the reputation of eating brass, trying to match up the latest correct number extractors and ejectors, swapping parts around, etc.  There's a reason why Gen 2 Glocks hold their value better than the newer MIM Glocks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Gen 2 Glocks is what built the reputation of Glocks reliability.  The Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks built the reputation of eating brass, trying to match up the latest correct number extractors and ejectors, swapping parts around, etc.  There's a reason why Gen 2 Glocks hold their value better than the newer MIM Glocks.
View Quote

He is not lying.  I have a Gen 3 that they replaced my damaged Gen 2 with and it had weak ejection and brass to the face.  I stoned the surface on the extractor and polished the flats of it and installed a Gen 4 ejector in the rear block.  I haven't been to the range with it since but hope to have cured the issue.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top