Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2015 1:39:29 PM EDT
I have a customized FM Detective up for sale on another site, but despite a lot of views, no one is making offers.  I have priced it at $800(what I paid), $750, $700, $600 and have offered to trade for a G19 Gen4.  Am I priced too high?  Are these not in demand anymore?  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just a guess, since I haven't seen the gun or ad, but I suspect...

... that right there may be your problem.

In my experience (and YMMV), it is easier to get your money (or most of it) back out of a stock firearm than one that has been customized UNLESS you happen to find just the right buyer who appreciates most or all of the mods and/or your price is very low when the gun and work are taken into consideration.

JMHO.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Just a guess, since I haven't seen the gun or ad, but I suspect...

Quoted:
... customized...

... that right there may be your problem.

In my experience (and YMMV), it is easier to get your money (or most of it) back out of a stock firearm than one that has been customized UNLESS you happen to find just the right buyer who appreciates most or all of the mods and/or your price is very low when the gun and work are taken into consideration.

JMHO.

You might be right.  I bought it customized and the only thing I did was have it Cerakoted (two tone, tastefully) because a gun cleaner I was using blasted the finish off of it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I would check the Equipment Exchange here to get an idea of the current market. The FM detective is a argentine made clone. Most stock genuine used Browning /FN Hi Powers  are going in the $650 range  the last time I looked. With NIB Hi Powers going for 1K , a $800 clone is going to be a tough sell.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I would check the Equipment Exchange here to get an idea of the current market. The FM detective is a argentine made clone. Most stock genuine used Browning /FN Hi Powers  are going in the $650 range  the last time I looked. With NIB Hi Powers going for 1K , a $800 clone is going to be a tough sell.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Would like to see it? Where is it posted or can you send me some pics?
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#6]
honestly, for me it's the two tone you did. color change is a very subjective thing, especially a two tone. just be patient, there's someone out there looking for your exact spec. Just don't charge too much and consider your losses as simply a fee for renting the fun you had with it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a customized FM Detective up for sale on another site, but despite a lot of views, no one is making offers. I have priced it at $800(what I paid), $750, $700, $600 and have offered to trade for a G19 Gen4.  Am I priced too high?  Are these not in demand anymore?  Any help would be appreciated.
View Quote

Ouch.   I paid $349 for mine when they were available mainstream retail.     I guess it depends how much money you have in "custom work".     A $20,000 car with $10k in customwork still sells for less than $20k.   You rarely ever make money back on custom work unless it's a renowned smith with a long waiting list.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you sell it yet? Have pics?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I did finally sell it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ouch.   I paid $349 for mine when they were available mainstream retail.     I guess it depends how much money you have in "custom work".     A $20,000 car with $10k in customwork still sells for less than $20k.   You rarely ever make money back on custom work unless it's a renowned smith with a long waiting list.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a customized FM Detective up for sale on another site, but despite a lot of views, no one is making offers. I have priced it at $800(what I paid), $750, $700, $600 and have offered to trade for a G19 Gen4.  Am I priced too high?  Are these not in demand anymore?  Any help would be appreciated.

Just gave $349 + tax for my LNIB FM Hi Power yesterday. It seems like a solid, well built handgun. Still, I had trouble justifying the $349 when an Israeli FN can, last time I checked, be had for around $500 on Gunbroker.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#12]
$300 used gun + $500 customization  = <$300 gun, not an $800 gun.  This is especially true with a no-name oddball like an Argentine HP clone.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
$300 used gun + $500 customization  = <$300 gun, not an $800 gun.  This is especially true with a no-name oddball like an Argentine HP clone.
View Quote

yup

Top Top