Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2016 8:31:27 PM EDT
I picked up this 97B late last week after looking/researching them for a while. I liked my P-01 so much that I wanted to add a CZ in .45acp to the rotation. I have yet to shoot it; (hope to fix that this weekend) but it feels really nice in the hand. I have medium to slightly large sized mitts. The double action pull reach is about perfect for my index finger and the single action pull is as short n' easy a reach and surprisingly to me almost as crisp as the Springfield 1911 it replaced. I still like/love 1911's but I wanted to try a different platform. With these standard extra thin aluminum grips I'd say the grip comfort/fit is about 9/10ths of the comfort my Springfield with stock Cocobolo grips feel. I hear the recoil is softer on these pistols and I like the 10+1 standard capacity for downstairs "kitchen cabinet" duty as well as for the range. I really like the smooth DA/SA pull and the option to keep/carry it cocked n' locked as well. I might change out the front fiber optic sight and standard rears with something from Meprolite but I want to see how it shoots as is. I'll report back after the range visit.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 6:44:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice. The 97 is on my short list of pistols to get next.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks Jb... The more I handle and dry fire this pistol, "with snap caps of course", the smoother the trigger gets and the more comfortable it feels in the hand. I was comparing it to my P-01 today side by side; and I'll be damned if this 97B doesn't have a thinner grip width area (side to side) than the P-01. In fact, I got out my digital calipers to prove it. My P-01 has thin VZ Diamondback stocks on it that already make it slimmer than my 1911. And to my surprise the grip width fore and aft is less than 1.5 millimeters thicker than the P-01 as well. This is a very comfortable pistol to handle. Best yet, slide width on the 97B is certainly a good bit thinner than my beloved P-01 as well. I'm really glad I bought this pistol and didn't listen to the naysayers that said you had to have Ogre inspired hands to operate it. I was also falsely warned that this pistol was, "wicked heavy..." It weighs in at exactly 2.54 lbs unloaded... The specs on a 5" gov't model 1911 is 2.44 lbs so the whining about the weight was moot too.

Get one, you will really like it!
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks Jb... The more I handle and dry fire this pistol, "with snap caps of course", the smoother the trigger gets and the more comfortable it feels in the hand. I was comparing it to my P-01 today side by side; and I'll be damned if this 97B doesn't have a thinner grip width area (side to side) than the P-01. In fact, I got out my digital calipers to prove it. My P-01 has thin VZ Diamondback stocks on it that already make it slimmer than my 1911. And to my surprise the grip width fore and aft is less than 1.5 millimeters thicker than the P-01 as well. This is a very comfortable pistol to handle. Best yet, slide width on the 97B is certainly a good bit thinner than my beloved P-01 as well. I'm really glad I bought this pistol and didn't listen to the naysayers that said you had to have Ogre inspired hands to operate it. I was also falsely warned that this pistol was, "wicked heavy..." It weighs in at exactly 2.54 lbs unloaded... The specs on a 5" gov't model 1911 is 2.44 lbs so the whining about the weight was moot too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Man thank you so much for those measurements. That was one of the things I as concerned with. Now the hunt begins in earnest haha. Take it shooting and update us
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to own one of the old 97's that was blued with wood grips. I was a broke college kid so I sold it to fund the next gun purchase. Dumbest decision. I want it back lol. They are tack drivers just like any CZ firearm
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#5]
CGW offers a package for about $600 and theyll shoot with $3000 1911s.  EAA 10 round 45 mags work great too.  High Noon makes nice holsters for them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Man thank you so much for those measurements. That was one of the things I as concerned with. Now the hunt begins in earnest haha. Take it shooting and update us
View Quote

I took it shooting Saturday morning. I ran several hundred rounds thru it; a mix of Blazer Brass (50), Blazer Aluminum (50), American Eagle(100), Winchester Ranger B's (20), and 200grain +P Hornady XTP's (20), and some Gold Dots... All cycled just fine. After the first magazine I knew that this pistol would easily become my favorite .45acp... I was extremely surprised at the accuracy. I hate to say it but... it was a hair or three better than my "NM" serial numbered Springer Loaded in the accuracy department. It really loved those Hornady 200gr +P's and the 230 grain standard pressure Ranger B's. The groups I shot with that were about an inch and a half at 10 yards free handed. But even the worst groups were only about 2 inches at 10 yards with the American Eagle. The pistol felt great in the hand; and my brother loved it too. We're both big guys but have medium sized hands. He was surprised how thin the grip width was and how smooth shooting the 97B is over our Springfield's... It cycled the everything I fed it really well. All in all I give it a 9 out of 10 in the accuracy and smooth shooting department. The ergo's and balance are an easy 10 out of 10.

However, after shooting a couple magazines I couldn't help but notice that the factory recoil spring is just a tad too light. It recoiled just as much as my 1911 did which surprised me. So after shooting it I get home and clean her up; get on Wolff's website and learn that the stock 97B recoil spring is 13lbs... That's lighter than CZ's 9mm recoil springs. Wolff suggested to use 14-16lb springs for shooting hardball in the 97. So I bought their recoil calibration kit that comes with their 16, 18, 20, and 22lb recoil springs and matching firing pin springs. I have a feeling that the 18lb spring will function with any ammo factory ammo I feed it whether hardball or self defense HP's... The 18lb spring should make this pistol a real pussy cat to shoot. I also have a hundred rounds or so of Buffalo Bore's 255 grain lswc Hard Cast loaded in .45Super (most accurate pistol ammo I've ever shot),that I converted another 1911 to run. So the 22lb recoil spring, (along with a recoil shock buffer of course) will get some use as well. Springs should be here this week and I'll report back after I get another range trip in with the new Wolff 18lb recoil spring. All in all, this is my favorite .45 I own.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I used to own one of the old 97's that was blued with wood grips. I was a broke college kid so I sold it to fund the next gun purchase. Dumbest decision. I want it back lol. They are tack drivers just like any CZ firearm
View Quote

I got this one for $725 new out the door. You should be able to get a gently used one for a decent bit less than that. Accuracy, yes, I was a little surprised at how accurate this pistol is and how smooth it shot. It's a shooter you want to take with you each range session for sure!
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
CGW offers a package for about $600 and theyll shoot with $3000 1911s.  EAA 10 round 45 mags work great too.  High Noon makes nice holsters for them.
View Quote

I saw that package on CGW! I went to Gregcotellc.com and picked up (4) Mec-Gar mags to go along with the (2) factory mags it came with. They all functioned just fine. The springs they put in the 97B's mags are surprisingly stout; a good bit more so than my stock factory P-01 and SP-01 mags. Which is a good thing if you ask me. The Mec-Gar 97B mags actually say Witness stamped into the sides on them. I'll check out High Noon holsters. For now this pistol has been put on downstairs home defense duty and sits on a top shelf in the kitchen. But if I ever decided to carry the 97B it would be nice to already have a holster for it...
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I took it shooting Saturday morning. I ran several hundred rounds thru it; a mix of Blazer Brass (50), Blazer Aluminum (50), American Eagle(100), Winchester Ranger B's (20), and 200grain +P Hornady XTP's (20), and some Gold Dots... All cycled just fine. After the first magazine I knew that this pistol would easily become my favorite .45acp... I was extremely surprised at the accuracy. I hate to say it but... it was a hair or three better than my "NM" serial numbered Springer Loaded in the accuracy department. It really loved those Hornady 200gr +P's and the 230 grain standard pressure Ranger B's. The groups I shot with that were about an inch and a half at 10 yards free handed. But even the worst groups were only about 2 inches at 10 yards with the American Eagle. The pistol felt great in the hand; and my brother loved it too. We're both big guys but have medium sized hands. He was surprised how thin the grip width was and how smooth shooting the 97B is over our Springfield's... It cycled the everything I fed it really well. All in all I give it a 9 out of 10 in the accuracy and smooth shooting department. The ergo's and balance are an easy 10 out of 10.

However, after shooting a couple magazines I couldn't help but notice that the factory recoil spring is just a tad too light. It recoiled just as much as my 1911 did which surprised me. So after shooting it I get home and clean her up; get on Wolff's website and learn that the stock 97B recoil spring is 13lbs... That's lighter than CZ's 9mm recoil springs. Wolff suggested to use 14-16lb springs for shooting hardball in the 97. So I bought their recoil calibration kit that comes with their 16, 18, 20, and 22lb recoil springs and matching firing pin springs. I have a feeling that the 18lb spring will function with any ammo factory ammo I feed it whether hardball or self defense HP's... The 18lb spring should make this pistol a real pussy cat to shoot. I also have a hundred rounds or so of Buffalo Bore's 255 grain lswc Hard Cast loaded in .45Super (most accurate pistol ammo I've ever shot),that I converted another 1911 to run. So the 22lb recoil spring, (along with a recoil shock buffer of course) will get some use as well. Springs should be here this week and I'll report back after I get another range trip in with the new Wolff 18lb recoil spring. All in all, this is my favorite .45 I own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So did you try the Wolf Springs yet?
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Great choice on the CZ-97B,

I definitely see a CZ 97B and a CZ 75 SP-01 in my future even though
I am a big fan of the 1911/2011 platform...

There are just to many Improvements in the current CZ design like the
CZ-97B and CZ-75 SP-01 for knowledgeable pistol consumers not to
take notice !

Overall, IMHO, the CZ pistol designs combine the best design elements
and ergonomics of the 1911 and BHP Into one fantastic combat pistol
with a proven track record !

While all the latest and greatest polymer pistols are all over the place
these days, they can never (IMHO) replace the feel and presence of
a all steel  and proven combat pistol(s) like the CZ's .

Well lets face It, nearly all of the current polymer pistols being offered
today are simply hideous to look at IMHO...

Best of luck with your CZ 97B, wise choice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#11]
If CZ would do a railed version of the 97 I would have my new nightstand pistol.  Really like the ones I have handled, and would like a larger-bore variant of the CZ75's I compete with.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#12]
If CZ or any aftermarket manufacturer made a threaded barrel for the 97, I'd have gotten one long ago. I recently sold my Sig 227 and would like another 45 to replace it with, but shooting it suppressed is a something I'd need it to do.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Good choice, I've had my CZ97B for about 5 years and have never thought of getting rid of it. I think the long DA reach is why some call it big but for me the trigger feels a lot like my old S&W mod.29. It certainly fits my hand better than my G21.

Mine is mainly a range toy and has the accuracy to do that well, but it's also run thru steel & aluminum cased ammo and cast lead reloads. Only thing she doesn't like is hollow points but it's more than reliable enough for carry/duty. Sounds like the newer 97s don't have the aversion to hp ammo.

No accessory rail on mine and I like that way. A rail on a poly gun doesn't bother me but the looks of a sleek steel frame gun is ruined with a rail.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If CZ would do a railed version of the 97 I would have my new nightstand pistol.  Really like the ones I have handled, and would like a larger-bore variant of the CZ75's I compete with.
View Quote

Sar k2 45
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
If CZ or any aftermarket manufacturer made a threaded barrel for the 97, I'd have gotten one long ago. I recently sold my Sig 227 and would like another 45 to replace it with, but shooting it suppressed is a something I'd need it to do.

Put these two together, shake, end up with a CZ-97 Suppressor-Ready Tactical.  Boom.  I'd buy one SO HARD.

Please CZ, hear our (okay, my) prayers!
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Put these two together, shake, end up with a CZ-97 Suppressor-Ready Tactical.  Boom.  I'd buy one SO HARD.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That'd prolly be my nightstand pistol as well. I use a Sig Mk25 now as it's heavier than my P09. I figure if needed, I can hit a guy with it in case I miss all 21 shots.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Sar k2 45
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sar k2 45

Yep.  14+1 too

I'm solidly in the CZ camp and the SAR K2 45 is a great pistol for the $

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good choice, I've had my CZ97B for about 5 years and have never thought of getting rid of it. I think the long DA reach is why some call it big but for me the trigger feels a lot like my old S&W mod.29. It certainly fits my hand better than my G21.

Mine is mainly a range toy and has the accuracy to do that well, but it's also run thru steel & aluminum cased ammo and cast lead reloads. Only thing she doesn't like is hollow points but it's more than reliable enough for carry/duty. Sounds like the newer 97s don't have the aversion to hp ammo.

No accessory rail on mine and I like that way. A rail on a poly gun doesn't bother me but the looks of a sleek steel frame gun is ruined with a rail.
View Quote

This 97B ran quite a few 230 grain Ranger B's, 230gr standard pressure Gold Dots, same weight Federal HST's, and it's most accurate/favorite HP loading... the Hornady 200gr+P  XTP's... It's readily obvious to me that the chamber throat has been polished extensively from the factory. I believe it will run any solid brand modern HP currently produced. It has been relegated to our downstairs HD pistol role. What a joy to shoot now that I've upgraded to the Wolff extra power recoil springs (not that it wasn't a joy to shoot before.) I know I'll be called out for this but... I enjoy this pistol better than my old semi-custom 1911, no exaggeration!
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It runs so much softer and really is a pussycat now!
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I love my 97BD, I am very happy wth its smooth 4# pull in SA.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I love my 97BD, I am very happy wth its smooth 4# pull in SA.
View Quote

I'd say mine is between 4 to 5lbs in SA mode now down from about 5.5lbs when new... I did swap out that FO front sight this week though for a pair of CZCustom TRU-Dots myself. What a difference it made. To those that like FO sights more power to you and to each his/her own. They are nice in the daytime for sure. Me personally, I just can't get used to the. I'd rather have a pair of nice and durable steel Mepro's. YMMV. The pistol is now usable in low light situations and I'm faster on target with the new sights now. Installing the night sights went much easier than I thought. Did I mention they are BRIGHT??? I'm still liking this pistol a bit more than my Springer 1911; don't shoot me fore saying that.

The only thing I need to do is stake the rear sight with a fine point punch. The one I've used many times staking castle nuts has a dull point. If anyone has a brand stake and where to pick one up suggestion I'd be very thankful. Every stake I've looked at has a point that is too rounded for my liking.

To the guys that posted about wanting a rail. CGW has one they will drill and tap true to the bottom of the dust cover. Or, if you are competent you could do it yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top