Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2015 10:24:43 AM EDT
Want to pick up a CZ, and handled a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Target II at the local gun show last week.  Fell in love with that trigger.  Darn near bought it right there.  But I'm not a competition shooter, so dropping the cash is a bit hard to justify.

How would a CGW trigger on a CZ 75 compare?  Looked at the Defensive Carry package and the Pro-Package.  Or another trigger/smith to recommend?

I'm haven't decided 100%, but was thinking DA/SA if I were to carry it.  If I fall in love then a compact would probably be in my future at some point.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a CZ 75D PCR. You'll love it. If you need to adjust the trigger later you can.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#2]
That looks really nice, but I think I want to get a full size first.  I'll have to shoot them quite a bit before I carry them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you asking about buying parts from CGW and dropping them in yourself or having CGW install them in the gun? You can have a trigger as good as anything that comes form the CZ Custom Shop but a lot of polishing is required as well as new parts to get to that level.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Good point, either really.  I was thinking of doing it myself.

I checked online and there are apparently good instructions, I'm willing to try it myself.

If there's a small cost for CJW to install with better results, I'd go that route.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#5]
If you started with a full size 75B and did every possible upgrade to it you would probably end up at 90-95% of the performance of a tuned Shadow. That is also assuming a full internal polish/smoothing of the 75B. The big differences between a tuned 75B and tuned Shadow are the effects the firing pin block does to the trigger. The 75B having a firing pin block causes the SA pull to be a little bit heavier, adds extra pre travel take up, and a longer reset compared to the Shadow.

The Shadow II is pretty much ready to go, but still can be improved. If it doesn't already have one, an extended firing pin and 11.5# hammer spring will improve it even more. The listed weights on CZ's website will probably were it comes new. After use even a tuned action improves with more rounds/dry firing. My tuned regular SP-01 dropped over a pound in DA and about 12 ounces on the SA after a year of range and competition use.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
My cgw'd sp01 has a better trigger break than my tuned shadow.  The shadow has a slightly shorter reset though.   Both are excellent.  If you're not competing with it go cgw.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you started with a full size 75B and did every possible upgrade to it you would probably end up at 90-95% of the performance of a tuned Shadow. That is also assuming a full internal polish/smoothing of the 75B. The big differences between a tuned 75B and tuned Shadow are the effects the firing pin block does to the trigger. The 75B having a firing pin block causes the SA pull to be a little bit heavier, adds extra pre travel take up, and a longer reset compared to the Shadow.

The Shadow II is pretty much ready to go, but still can be improved. If it doesn't already have one, an extended firing pin and 11.5# hammer spring will improve it even more. The listed weights on CZ's website will probably were it comes new. After use even a tuned action improves with more rounds/dry firing. My tuned regular SP-01 dropped over a pound in DA and about 12 ounces on the SA after a year of range and competition use.
View Quote

A lot of polishing?  Reasonably easy to do the polishing myself?  If I can hit 85-90% but at a cost closer to $1000 for everything that would make me happy.

Now I have to wait a little bit, but the good news is that I got what seems to be a great deal on a S&W 629 Classic.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My cgw'd sp01 has a better trigger break than my tuned shadow.  The shadow has a slightly shorter reset though.   Both are excellent.  If you're not competing with it go cgw.
View Quote

Did you get one of the packages, or a bunch of his parts?
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Installing the pro package is about like re assembling a simple small motor
Not really hard for but not easy either .
  I prefer the P-01 vs the PCR. I don't think the extended dust cover is any harder to conceal at least for me .
You can buy a pro package complete for under a $1000 from Cajun direct.
The PCR is same price and the  p-07/9 are under $800 which is a killer deal IMO.
      His trigger work is better than a stock shadow plus you can chose a smaller pistol if you want to carry.

No matter what you will be addicted to CZ pistols after you shoot them.
Also David from CGW is really nice and very patient and helpful.

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 1:15:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A lot of polishing?  Reasonably easy to do the polishing myself?  If I can hit 85-90% but at a cost closer to $1000 for everything that would make me happy.

Now I have to wait a little bit, but the good news is that I got what seems to be a great deal on a S&W 629 Classic.
View Quote

If you have mechanical ability CZ's are more complicated than most striker fired guns, but not too hard to work on. There are a number of Youtube videos that can help with the disassembly and even polishing/parts installs. There are also two forum threads that will help. This one from David from CGW: Smoothing the Action on CZ forum and this one from the Brian Enos CZ forum: CZ Tuning 101 with Professor Atlas.

A standard 75B with the CGW Pro package will come under $1K with even room for extra mags or ammo if you do the work yourself. My SP-01 is a competition gun so some parts I went CZ Custom (hammer) to be legal instead of CGW, but I basically have the rest of a Pro package (except running 11.5# hammer spring) and my DA is 5.5 pounds and the SA 2.5 pounds.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Good point, either really.  I was thinking of doing it myself.

I checked online and there are apparently good instructions, I'm willing to try it myself.

If there's a small cost for CJW to install with better results, I'd go that route.
View Quote
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191773&hl=

If you haven't seen this, it's worth the read regarding DIY CZ triggers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#13]
You're in my area, right?  You're more than welcome to try this one out to see what you think:

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You're in my area, right?  You're more than welcome to try this one out to see what you think:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/antiarocking74/86F39D16-1DB9-46EC-AA22-09BC249AC8A2_zpsate4q6xe.jpg
View Quote

That looks sweet, I really like the grips.  Was thinking those grips might look good on a stainless, or the FDE bug has bitten me and another consideration would be a trade-in and get it Cerakoted FDE.

I moved not too long ago, I don't think I'm in your area anymore or I'd have to take you up on that offer.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#15]
As for the FDE, here's a pic I found but apparently no one is selling them in that color.

Link Posted: 10/29/2015 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, sorry I didn't put in details.  That pic I found in a search was off some forum.  That was a trade in the guy Duracoated.  

If I went that route, I'd either do it myself with Norell's Molyresin I still have, or have it Ceracoated.  May not be much cheaper myself since I'd have to pay someone to sand blast it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Update:  I have just bought an P-01 worked over by CGW from another member.  If I really like it I see a full size in my future.  Thought about the police trade-ins and Cerakoting, but the staked sights kinda kill that idea.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_88/1478230_.html&page=1&anc=4921846#i4921846
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Hey Gator, i looked long and hard at that pistol,myself.
You will not be unhappy...........
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#20]
A friend bought the cgw package sp01. The one that cost 1400 plus. We are good work friends, but we live about 2 hours apart. So he sent the gun home with me to shoot, after he'd took it to the range a few times.  I have 3 8" hanging plates on a rack. I backed off to 25 yards and commenced to hammer that rack. I'm no great shot at all, slightly above average. I only missed twice out of an 18 round mag. I shot this gun better than my Springfield trp. It has made the short list of guns I WILL own.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Update:  I have just bought an SP-01 worked over by CGW from another member.  If I really like it I see a full size in my future.  Thought about the police trade-ins and Cerakoting, but the staked sights kinda kill that idea.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=81499
View Quote

FYI - that is a P-01. The SP-01 is the fullsize.

I did a bunch of CGW work on my own P-01. The gun is astounding.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update:  I have just bought an SP-01 worked over by CGW from another member.  If I really like it I see a full size in my future.  Thought about the police trade-ins and Cerakoting, but the staked sights kinda kill that idea.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=81499

Fixed.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A friend bought the cgw package sp01. The one that cost 1400 plus. We are good work friends, but we live about 2 hours apart. So he sent the gun home with me to shoot, after he'd took it to the range a few times.  I have 3 8" hanging plates on a rack. I backed off to 25 yards and commenced to hammer that rack. I'm no great shot at all, slightly above average. I only missed twice out of an 18 round mag. I shot this gun better than my Springfield trp. It has made the short list of guns I WILL own.
View Quote

Sounds great.  

Shorter sight radius with the P-01 but should still be nice.  I can't wait to get it!
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I took a stock SP-01 and added around $400 worth of CGW part to it and did extensive polishing of the internals.  The result was a outstanding  DA/SA trigger pull.  The DA measured just under 7lbs and the single just under 3lbs, but it is so smooth that if feels lighter.  All this with the FPB still in the pistol.  The first time you tear into a CZ pistol can me a little scary.  After that, its easier and easier the more you do them.  I have done 6 CZ's so far.  What I am getting at is if I can do it anyone can do it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top